Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Doc Fission posted:

every answer on here that isn't "untreated mental illness" is a lie tbh

hmm

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
as the the late sean price once said, i worked hard to be this dumb

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Das Boo posted:

I can feel my brain shut down when anyone tries to explain automechanics to me, and I hate it.

Serious post: if you want to learn about auto mechanics get a Toyota factory service manual from like 85-90, preferably for a truck of some sort.

Evidence of my dumbness: serious posting in GBS.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Das Boo posted:

I can feel my brain shut down when anyone tries to explain automechanics to me, and I hate it.

This happens to everyone about something and it's not at all indicative of your innate ability to retain or make use of that information. It's probably connected to some unpleasant emotion that it brings up in you. Maybe someone made you feel like poo poo because you didn't know something related to cars or you made a mistake that you felt embarrassed about or it reminds you of someone that you had negative feelings towards etc. So now, whenever it comes up, now you brain just shuts it out.

You can test this effect (which I forget the name of) on yourself really easily. Go find some article with an opinion that you disagree with or that was written by someone you hate, read it, and then 10 minutes later try and recall what you just read. You'll probably even notice as you read it that you brain is just not absorbing the information very well and that you have a physical sensation of anxiety as you try to do it.

E: Oh and the good news it that because you brain was trained into doing this it can be trained out of doing it.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 24, 2022

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

My mom says I'm perfect but I have my doubts

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Funky See Funky Do posted:

This happens to everyone about something and it's not at all indicative of your innate ability to retain or make use of that information. It's probably connected to some unpleasant emotion that it brings up in you. Maybe someone made you feel like poo poo because you didn't know something related to cars or you made a mistake that you felt embarrassed about or it reminds you of someone that you had negative feelings towards etc. So now, whenever it comes up, now you brain just shuts it out.

You can test this effect (which I forget the name of) on yourself really easily. Go find some article with an opinion that you disagree with or that was written by someone you hate, read it, and then 10 minutes later try and recall what you just read. You'll probably even notice as you read it that you brain is just not absorbing the information very well and that you have a physical sensation of anxiety as you try to do it.

E: Oh and the good news it that because you brain was trained into doing this it can be trained out of doing it.

Is this why I can't talk to girls?

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
brain filters (language, concepts of things, expectations)

= dumb

remove filters

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Das Boo posted:

Same but it’s when anyone tries to talk to me in general. It’s getting worse as I get older. It’s not just me being an rear end in a top hat, like I’m genuinely interested in having a conversation but my brain starts doing this thing like it’s actively trying to escape.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I was born to dumb parents who in turn were born to dumb parents, really I am standing on the shoulders of dumb giants. Truly I am the epitome of dumb that's been genetically perfected and passed down through generations!

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Instead of enjoying my life, and there are plenty of good things about it to enjoy, I obsess constantly about how hosed and stupid humanity is as a whole. Illustrating my own hosed stupidness.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

You should start drawing joy from that :dumb:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

old beast lunatic posted:

Instead of enjoying my life, and there are plenty of good things about it to enjoy, I obsess constantly about how hosed and stupid humanity is as a whole. Illustrating my own hosed stupidness.

big same

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Colonel Cancer posted:

I was born to dumb parents who in turn were born to dumb parents, really I am standing on the shoulders of dumb giants. Truly I am the epitome of dumb that's been genetically perfected and passed down through generations!

you know the word epitome, bro, you good.

i'm dumb because i have a pretty large vocabulary but there are words that I don't know how to pronounce, that I can use in a written sentence, and define.

Epitome was one of those for a long time.

and sovereign.

and my nerd self didn't know the correct way to pronounce paladin, until i made an absolute fool of myself in one of my first dnd sessions.
'??? what is a pa-ladin?' .. ' you mean pal-a-din?'

and i still say hyper-bole, if i'm comfortable in my environment. lol. being a huge book nerd with no friends that used words was the run-up to my down fall.

and yeah brain issues and alcohol-abuse.

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 25, 2022

Blarfo
Jul 17, 2007
It's not illegal and I can do it in public so deal w/it

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Poor support systems and the neoliberal hellscape ensured that I only developed to a fraction of what I might have otherwise been capable of. I'm still stupid enough to try and get socially gelded for the effort.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Doc Fission posted:

man gently caress you i'm treated it's just still there

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

signalnoise posted:

I think maybe at the end of the day it's out of spite on like a cosmic level. gently caress you god, be the best we can be? how about I find the limits of harmless worthlessness

the manager of life has informed you he is firing you at like 85 years old and now wonders why you aren't motivated to work hard

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Grew up in a poor working class home, with less access to educational material compared to people better off than me.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Lobotomy sounded fun

It is a fun word. Lobotomy.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Bipolar, ADD and tons of concussions from football when I was younger. So dumb, so very very dumb.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I don't know if I am, but I prefer to think that I am. That way, I don't think I am wasting some kind of potential. :unsmith:

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Archer666 posted:

Grew up in a poor working class home, with less access to educational material compared to people better off than me.

I think that makes you ignorant.

You'd be dumb if you refused/couldn't learn things.

I think.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Doc Fission posted:

I have depression but it doesn't have anything to do with my struggles to learn poo poo.

Maybe that is a mental illness, dunno.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
My parents used the classic boomer child rearing method of "sit down and shut up so I can watch tv", leading to understimulation and social isolation.

Apparently I could have been an important and useful person today but tv came first.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I’m sleep deprived, full of narcotic painkillers, my foot is broken in four places and it hurts like it. I’m probably not thinking very clearly.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

How many fingers am I holding?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

By popular demand posted:

How many fingers am I holding?

That's not a finger that's your dick lol

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

That's where you're wrong friend! Im holding two fingers.

My dick's inside ur mom.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Why are you holding fingers? Are they your own fingers? My mom's? I'm so confused

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Mr.Chill posted:

My parents used the classic boomer child rearing method of "sit down and shut up so I can watch tv", leading to understimulation and social isolation.

Apparently I could have been an important and useful person today but tv came first.

What was their favorite show?

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
huffing air duster makes me hear beautiful music in my head and if i can just write enough of it down i'll be rich

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

By popular demand posted:

That's where you're wrong friend! Im holding two fingers.

My dick's inside ur mom.

Oh come on, you can do better than her. Don't degrade yourself like that. We've talked about this. You're doing so well, you're improving so much, you need to try more to not regress and let your self esteem slip and force you back to her because "she's the best I'll ever amount to".

I believe in you, you can do this. You can be better.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Even if I was smart I couldn’t prove it.

I get terrible quality sleep before every exam and job interview.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

That loving Sned posted:

Try getting blackout drunk to get some sleep before interviews. Or just get blackout drunk before interviews.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

That loving Sned posted:

the only proof of true wisdom is the realization of how loving dumb one is

its a conundrum!

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Enlightenment comes not from scaling the heights of illumination, but rather from plumbing the depths of one's ignorance.

Also that'll be $3.50

Fartsucker
Jan 20, 2022

by Pragmatica
Untreated mental illness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Outrail posted:

Try getting blackout drunk to get some sleep before interviews. Or just get blackout drunk before interviews.

Nah take that wonder drug that makes you blackout for 2 weeks and buy multiple pianos, I bet that guy's not a loving loser and can ace any interview