Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We found out in the course of doing our taxes more about how the adoption tax credit works, and it’s even better than we originally researched. As for anything we’ll be buying, nothing fun but I did celebrate being done with filing by ordering Uber eats for myself!

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i pretty much always end up owing money because i guess whatever withholding rate that my company uses doesn't work out right after overtime pay is factored in. also i have a small amount of investment income from some mutual funds that i owe taxes on at the end of the year, which probably also throws off the withholding rate math for the W2.

but overall it's better to owe money than to get a refund. if you get a refund it just means you were overpaying the government all year instead of (theoretically) doing something useful with that money to earn a return for yourself.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bad Purchase posted:

but overall it's better to owe money than to get a refund. if you get a refund it just means you were overpaying the government all year instead of (theoretically) doing something useful with that money to earn a return for yourself.

This is wise. We were doing extra withholding for a few years after getting hit with a particularly high tax bill. Realized instead of doing that we could take the same amount each month and dump it into a brokerage account and make money off of it. Come tax time those investments can pay the tax bill and also buy something nice.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I didn't pay my estimated taxes this year because I was lazy. Probably won't this coming year either.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

everyone has to pay their taxes ;)

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

numberoneposter posted:

everyone has to pay their taxes ;)

Not me I’m a freeman on the land

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I went with black but seeing the white go out of stock faster makes me sort of wish I went with white.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i think it's better to buy a black subwoofer and have the option to paint it white than to start with a white subwoofer and get in trouble for giving it the ol' trudeau treatment if you change your mind

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
It's limited quantity but is it also limited quality!?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Bad Purchase posted:

i think it's better to buy a black subwoofer and have the option to paint it white than to start with a white subwoofer and get in trouble for giving it the ol' trudeau treatment if you change your mind
its tax time, aka justin needs to top up his haircut fund!!!!!

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Colonel Cancer posted:

It's limited quantity but is it also limited quality!?

Previous model was considered best at it's price point. So I'd imagine this one would be as well even at $50 more. Audio stuff is awfully unfun to shop for.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I put my poo poo off until literally hours before the deadline because I thought I was going to owe the IRS money, but somehow I'm miraculously getting a couple grand back. Part of me wants to blow it on the giant Lego AT-AT lol. But I also have a steam deck on order I just probably just enjoy that being covered and keep the rest for a rainy day.

E:Also turbotax is a loving scam now. Still very nice to use outside of the shady upselling though.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 22, 2022

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Turbotax has always been and will always be a scam. Intuit is able to bribe congress, oh i'm sorry, i mean lobby congress into complicating the tax code every year year to force americans to use their piece of poo poo web portal instead of our dipshit government just taking 15% out of every transaction like a civilized nation. gently caress t*rbotax and gently caress Am*rica.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i got scammed by taxact because i picked their $35 filing option and put in all my info back in late february. but the darned thing wouldn't let me actually do the last step of filing and paying and showed a message that they hadn't finished implementing the foreign tax credit form yet for 2021.

when they finally did get that form working, over a month had passed and the prices had doubled (like they always do if you wait until the last month to file). the jerks hadn't locked in the price that i originally agreed to and made me pay $70. i hunted around for a better deal with other filing services, but a lot of them don't support that form at all and the credit was worth more than the filing fee, so in the end i just had to accept it :argh:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's amazing how calculated the whole experience is. it's set up to make doing anything that doesn't involve spending more money confusing and exhausting. I started by using their "free simple filing program". I just basically had my W-2s, but oh hey I was also on unemployment for 2 weeks in January, so just as I finished almost everything it's like "sorry its not simple anymore cause you have one extra paper to file that'll be $50". So I'm like, ok whatever I just want this to be done, I file. Then the charge doubles because that's only Federal and they charge another $50 for state. Do you want direct deposit? Yes. Ok instead of just taking your bank acct number let's trick you into applying for a credit card with us. I didn't even realize what I was doing until half way through and backed out so I could find the option to use my acct # that they already had. Would you like to use your return to pay the fees? Ok. That'll be another $70 but we wont tell you that until later and will make it almost impossible to undo.

And that's ignoring the hundreds of dollars worth of bullshit I opted out of gently caress turbo tax

I could have just gone to fuckin H&R block and made someone else do it for less.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bad Purchase posted:

when they finally did get that form working, over a month had passed and the prices had doubled (like they always do if you wait until the last month to file). the jerks hadn't locked in the price that i originally agreed to and made me pay $70.

This is only super loosely related, but last month I was coordinating a trip with a friend over the phone. She had found a cheap flight and bought tickets at the exact same time as me. She's like "ok I bought it" and I was like cool me too. and I hit the buy button 10 seconds after her and got a message that they would no longer honor that price and that it had almost doubled. Her buying the ticket had triggered something in their algorithm to raise prices even though I was literally though the entire checkout process. I was so pissed off.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Turbotax sure tries hard to be the least poo poo but still incredibly poo poo. I know I won't be able to use the cheapest version because of stocks, which is fine, but then they try to upsell you on so much poo poo and they don't really explain stuff all that well (better talk to an "expert"). I swear I spent like half an hour trying to figure out where like 5 bucks came from and how to properly put it in a 1099-MISC and I'm pretty sure I did that wrong it was some security or something and I was just thinking where the gently caress is the option to say gently caress off I'll pay taxes or whatever on this leave me alone.

There are probably better internet tax forms, but Turbotax has got my previous info and I sure as gently caress am not switching for what I assume to be at best a slightly better experience. Good job capitalist parasites way to create an industry that should not exist.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 23, 2022

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The thing that pisses me off about turbotax is that it's really disarming and then surprises you with (intentionally) poorly explained fees. I hate doing my taxes so much. It isn't even hard but it's like a phobia. Just stresses me out. But turbo tax is so easy to use I'm sitting there like "dang I really like this site" I'm not on edge let's doo this. but the whole time they are slapping you with fees. And then when all is said and done not filing seems like a worse option than just paying them. It feels predatory as hell. I don't even mind paying to some extent, but at least be upfront about it. Because if I knew they were going to charge me $170 for the most basic poo poo, I would have went elsewhere.

But it was like 11:30 on the 18th. I was just like "gently caress it I'll pay" but I'm never using them again.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

The thing that pisses me off about turbotax is that it's really disarming and then surprises you with (intentionally) poorly explained fees. I hate doing my taxes so much. It isn't even hard but it's like a phobia. Just stresses me out. But turbo tax is so easy to use I'm sitting there like "dang I really like this site" I'm not on edge let's doo this. but the whole time they are slapping you with fees. And then when all is said and done not filing seems like a worse option than just paying them. It feels predatory as hell. I don't even mind paying to some extent, but at least be upfront about it. Because if I knew they were going to charge me $170 for the most basic poo poo, I would have went elsewhere.

But it was like 11:30 on the 18th. I was just like "gently caress it I'll pay" but I'm never using them again.

You nailed it "It isn't even hard but it's like a phobia". The fear isn't even warranted because the IRS isn't going to do poo poo unless they think your deliberately trying to avoid paying the taxes you owe. I forgot to transfer accounts (one or two I apparently have 3, I don't know why it makes taxes slightly more annoying) from my bank to turbo tax which ended with the IRS being like "hey you owe us money"'. So I was like yep sounds right here you go (which I paid to the wrong thing or something I think they still have that money), got sent more mail like YEAH YOU OWE US and so I paid again this time selecting the right thing in the dropdown. State eventually got around to informing me I owe them money as well, so I paid that. I imagine if hadn't had the money that'd be a hassle to set up payment plans.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Duck and Cover posted:

This is the thread for people who decide it's time for a shopping spree after paying taxes. It's your American duty to buy stuff. Do it. DO IT NOW.

Backordered a three pack of Unfi Switch Flex eta warehouse arrival 5/2. I'm glad I found it because apparently they are out of stock everywhere and I want one and my brother wants one. So I'm going to have one spare.

I bought some shoes. I got Nike React Phantom Run Flyknit 2 to try. I use to own some ugly yellow shoes I remember were really comfortable in high school and it turns out they totally still make Nike Prestos so I bought a pair. Different colorway, not ugly yellow. Guess I was in the mood for loud as gently caress colors this time, the first time someone says "heeey nice shoes" I'll probably regret it because I hate interacting with people in person. My car is a similar green to those shoes and it was on sale though so I had to.

Presently considering a Speedwoofer10 and the LG 42" OLED.

Oh yeah and some steel tape that's receptive to magnets.

What else should I buy? Always be spending.

Why is a network switch so hard to find in stock

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Why is a network switch so hard to find in stock

Covid.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

I guess what I'm saying is why is it so sought after compared to a switch by TPlink or whatever

Like what does it do differently from a regular switch

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I guess what I'm saying is why is it so sought after compared to a switch by TPlink or whatever

Like what does it do differently from a regular switch

Passthrough power over ethernet while being powered through power over ethernet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Got mine on Friday, today I shopped for groceries at a Walmart Supercenter.