Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

a/s/l?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

19/f/florida u?

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Poohs Packin posted:

Everyone uses dating apps, its 2022. Ive been in two LTRs off of dating apps and am happily married (didn't meet wife on an app though). I'm socially confident and have my poo poo together. Meeting people in bars is a much bigger mistake lol.

Ok but technically you did end up marrying the woman you didn't meet on the app, so I'm calling this a draw.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Yeah I met her volunteering at a summer camp (she also worked there).

Try getting involved with some sort of organisation that isn't church, OP, if the apps aren't your style.

Join Rotary and catch Chlamydia from a 68 year old, for example.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Attractive man in his "golden years" looking for a nice woman to laugh, love and get old with. If you feel this describes you, PM me

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
yeah its pretty hosed, im 34 and have been in a relationship for 11 years so we've seen the entire way dating works changes and along with it all of our friends turn into husks. I know like three people that are in LTRs and none of them met on dating apps.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I'm a nerd and not very good looking, but I met my wife on OKC and we've been happily together for 7 years now. Before that I dated a few people I met online, it was just a lot easier for me than going out after work given my schedule at the time.

I'm sure it's tougher now, though. Especially since I'd assume a lot of single people spent the last ~2 years either just virtually dating or not dating at all. Seems like that would lead to an influx of horny and awkward people online. Even more than normal, I mean.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Yaldabaoth posted:

The thing to remember is most of the people using dating apps are people who are too awkward or broken to just meet someone at the usual social settings like a bar.

Tinder and similiar apps is the norm for dating now, grandpa

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

yugioh mishima posted:

although in my anecdotal experience there are a lot of people i know especially late 20s/early 30s types who seem to just prefer being single now

maybe, but it's really easy to tell yourself that you're happy with the way things are when you don't think there's any possibility of a change.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Being single is awesome. Within these walls I live without judgment. Let presentable Das Boo live outside like the socially-acceptable animal she is.

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
Single means you can wear a gown with no underwear and let piss and poo fall where it may

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

slam whale holy grail

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
how about we start a goon dating thread? I mean, what's the worst that could happen?

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Das Boo posted:

Being single is awesome. Within these walls I live without judgment. Let presentable Das Boo live outside like the socially-acceptable animal she is.

You might like this then

https://twitter.com/PervisTime/status/1511881156408532995?t=TfqdqrhATAhAe-RxRY6b3g&s=19

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

on the other hand

https://twitter.com/PervisTime/status/1498045309104136195

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Online dating apps have followed the same trajectory as social media in general. For a while it was good and fun, people were excited about this cool new medium, and times were good. Now the good will is over, everyone is caught in a toxic mixture of mutual distrust and dishonest vanity, and it's just bad. It's not impossible to get something good out of it, but it's not anything like it used to be.

People who say online dating is good because they met their spouse on it ten years ago are akin to boomers who think the best way to get in a job is to walk into a business unannounced and give the manager a firm handshake.

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Well then what's your problem with the "dating scene"?

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica

Collapsing Farts posted:

Well then what's your problem with the "dating scene"?

CHANCLA CULTURE

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Sorry OP, all of your potential dates were aborted by democrats.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Collapsing Farts posted:

Oh, and back in the dating days I basically didn't get any matches if I wrote my height on Tinder, as I was deemed unworthy for being short. Once I got rid of that information though I got dates left and right and most of them went well. Short people, you too can prevail~

If I remember right, some of the tinder type sites will basically throw your profile in the garbage bin if you hit certain criteria. I know it used to be having too high or low of a like/reject rate would do it, wouldnt surprise me if they algorithmically scoured the actual profile info for flags too.

I met my wife on OKCupid in 2010, the online dating scene was hosed then and is turbofucked now. Getting involved in some kind of in-person social activity is almost certainly your best bet.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Meme Poker Party posted:

Online dating apps have followed the same trajectory as social media in general. For a while it was good and fun, people were excited about this cool new medium, and times were good. Now the good will is over, everyone is caught in a toxic mixture of mutual distrust and dishonest vanity, and it's just bad. It's not impossible to get something good out of it, but it's not anything like it used to be.

People who say online dating is good because they met their spouse on it ten years ago are akin to boomers who think the best way to get in a job is to walk into a business unannounced and give the manager a firm handshake.

This is spot on.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Getting personally attacked like this on my way back home after an otherwise great day :mad:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Bad Purchase posted:

just move in with a good friend and enjoy having a roommate that you get along with, can watch movies or play games with, cook together, laugh together, cry together, and support each other through thick and thin.

but sleep in separate bedrooms and always be careful when you're on the couch together. don't say what you're thinking, don't reach out. you're not gay, you shouldn't be having those thoughts. you just have a roommate, a bro, a best friend, a partner in life.

nothing more. nothing more.

hey

:biglips:

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

numberoneposter posted:

i was so bad at dating but somehow i have a baby on the way

guess i won? i get my prize in 3 months

18 years of child support payments?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

*avoids eye contact, awkwardly changes the subject to the latest elden ring meta builds*

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
We were going to game together but there's only one controller! Woops I guess we'll have to take turns giving each other brojobs while the other plays :gaysper:

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Here's some interesting stuff about the topic, it's true

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pk93929764&t=54s

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

need the sigma grindset op

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You mean sigmoid grindset

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER
Nov 11, 2020

H O R S E - S L A U G H T E R E R
idk what "the dating scene" is

i just met someone and we had sex and now were still having sex

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

HORSE-SLAUGHTERER posted:

idk what "the dating scene" is

Act 2, scene 1. Interior, a nightclub, 9pm

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
last night I went on a date with a cute bubbly girl that can't go 3 seconds without giggling. we went painting. after a few hours of painting moons we wandered around the neighbourhood and found a deli place that was open at 9:50 still. we went in and I bought a strawberry shortcake plate for us to share. which we ate sitting on the ground in the parking lot talking about how much we like strawberries.

online dating is trash. The only two apps that are worth a poo poo at all are hinge and okcupid, both actually work free. Don't just send likes , send messages. I usually just sent this boilerplate in association to one of her text bio bits.

quote:

Hey I love your energy!
<brief question about thing mentioned in bio>

I'd love to chat more!

Went from a 0% hit rate to maybe 3%. And for god's sake smile in your pictures and do them outside. Carry the conversation by asking specific questions and to arrange a coffee/dinner date within the first 15 messages with the prompt of something like "How would you like to go out for coffee and you can tell me more about <thing she's interested in>". Then at the end of the date prompt her to fill in her phone number into your phone's contacts. basically just get her off of the dating app as fast as possible.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Methanar posted:

last night I went on a date with a cute bubbly girl that can't go 3 seconds without giggling. we went painting. after a few hours of painting moons we wandered around the neighbourhood and found a deli place that was open at 9:50 still. we went in and I bought a strawberry shortcake plate for us to share. which we ate sitting on the ground in the parking lot talking about how much we like strawberries.

online dating is trash. The only two apps that are worth a poo poo at all are hinge and okcupid, both actually work free. Don't just send likes , send messages. I usually just sent this boilerplate in association to one of her text bio bits.

Went from a 0% hit rate to maybe 3%. And for god's sake smile in your pictures and do them outside. Carry the conversation by asking specific questions and to arrange a coffee/dinner date within the first 15 messages with the prompt of something like "How would you like to go out for coffee and you can tell me more about <thing she's interested in>". Then at the end of the date prompt her to fill in her phone number into your phone's contacts. basically just get her off of the dating app as fast as possible.

Pay money and you get dates? Sounds like a pimp.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Never went on a date, never wanted to go on one. Why date when I got video games?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

hatoful boyfriend is a video game about dating, among other things. might be a good way to see if you like the experience.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Lamebot posted:

Pay money and you get dates? Sounds like a pimp.

What's the point of having money if you don't spend it on other people. It's basically the closest you can come to buying happiness tbh

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Methanar posted:

What's the point of having money if you don't spend it on other people. It's basically the closest you can come to buying happiness tbh

very true. well, after drugs, sex, art, books, games, pets, good food, hobby stuff, etc. of course, but that goes without saying.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

This comic is also about me being ace, so it's double relatable!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Methanar posted:

And for god's sake smile in your pictures and do them outside.

basically just get her off of the dating app as fast as possible.

I mean

Yeah, pretty much. Wasting too much time online in a dating app is a death sentence, the other person is either wasting your time or bound to think you're wasting theirs.