Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Tied at 16 after the 2min warning and there's 5 combined timeouts left between them.

I dunno if I've ever seen that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

There are 16 second left and still 5 timeouts.

They spiked the ball.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
OH poo poo THEY DID IT

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

All 5 timeouts have been used in the last 16 seconds due to clock mismanagement

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Lmao I just saw the doink on the game winning 21 yard field goal.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Does anyone have any info about injury rates in these games compared to NFL or college? I felt like I saw a lot of injuries in the game I watched, but I also imagine that mainstream games have a lot more filler they can use. They can just say "there's an injury on the field, looks like so-and-so", then cut to some preplanned 30-to-60 second filler where they talk about an inspirational player story or some crazy stat that was just broken. USFL doesn't have that, so the focus is on the injury.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I don't have any numbers, but I can tell you I've watched 'a real good handful' of these games now and the hits I've seen laid out in all kinds of situations have been incredible, not simply defenseless receiver over the middle, or kick returns - I saw a play the other week that was a draw up the middle where the Oline opened and the RB hit the oncoming LB head on with both at full speed sending both men crushingly, straight backward. Any random game could fill one of the old 'JACKED UP!' segments on its own, and I find myself physically wincing multiple times during a game.

Now the very vast majority of them don't lead to any (at least apparent) injury, but it has to be only a matter of time. In a game this weekend there was a collision where two players both went down and for the first time in my football watching life I sincerely thought "Oh my god, I think that guy might have died." Not in a hyperbolic "OH SNAP HE GOT LAID OUT! He's down and OUT!" dead type of way or a 'oh his neck bent funny, oh poo poo' thing. Like I actually thought the man had died. The guy on the other end was almost equally bad off but at least visibly moving slightly.

I am not aware of any specific rules changes in the league that allow for this, ie it's not the old XFL 'Let's run full speed for the ball at midfield and see what happens, that'll draw eyes!' intent to create anything like this, but good god there have been some true Mortal Kombat style brutalities and I can't believe that sooner rather than later someone won't be seriously crippled or worse from whatever is happening. I'd expect some kind of rules change or enforcement if it makes it to the second year.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkYEpeVKeBA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0NrsesbaVU&t=222s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE0llOiBv44&t=327s

Granted some of these show the more typical situations you'd expect, but that's just what I found in about 5 minutes of looking for THIS WEEKS highlights of TWO games trying to find the one I was actually talking about

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The football I watched I was significantly more put off by the talent level of the officials versus the players. The level of play on the field reminded me of a match up of two terrible mid teens AFCS teams, but there was a flag hitting the field for questionable reasons literally every other play.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I didn't come to see Tom Brady take on Manning with world class refs in a slapped together spring league.

I'm rubbernecking it for what it is

E: that's not a downer on your post, sorry if that came out that way

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I missed the first two games this weekend because of conflicts, but these were the ones I was interested in anyway.

Will the Stallions remain undefeated? Will the Maulers remain winless?

Well, it's not looking good for Birmingham right now, but I 100% believe the answers here are "yes" and "yes"

EDIT: Also, look at this crazy poo poo - https://twitter.com/USFL/status/1525612942657523719

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

surf rock posted:

I missed the first two games this weekend because of conflicts, but these were the ones I was interested in anyway.

Will the Stallions remain undefeated? Will the Maulers remain winless?

Well, it's not looking good for Birmingham right now, but I 100% believe the answers here are "yes" and "yes"

EDIT: Also, look at this crazy poo poo - https://twitter.com/USFL/status/1525612942657523719

New Jersey is the best team in the League, Birmingham's week 1 victory against them was a fluke a fraud and a conspiracy by the league

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
That roughing the punter ended up killing the Stars. Oh well!

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Knew it, Birmingham is going undefeated

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Whoo!

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

surf rock posted:

Knew it, Birmingham is going undefeated

Who knew the only team with Home field advantage might have an advantage.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i mostly have the game on in the background but my ears perked up when i heard the name Vad Lee for the first time in what feels like 5 years

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Most of the teams seem pretty even talent wise, so it's sort of surprising that the Maulers are this bad. Every other team has double the points they have.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

syzpid posted:

Most of the teams seem pretty even talent wise, so it's sort of surprising that the Maulers are this bad. Every other team has double the points they have.

Pittsburgh is the only team with a head coach who's never been a head coach before.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Pittsburgh is one of the worst teams I've ever seen do any professional or semi-professional sport

That said, can't blame them for not being able to stop CLAYTON THORSON

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
What a weird choice with 3 minutes left, trusting your kicker to kick a 44 yard FG instead of going for it on 4 & 4. I mean I probably wouldn't expect the Maulers to score a TD anyway, but it feels like going for it instead of trusting your kicker to make it a 5 point game would have been a better choice.

Edit: LOL it cost them the game, Pittsburgh marched downfield and scored a TD. Vad Lee was signed 6 days ago, was put in for Kyle Laureletta who is awful, and won the game pretty much. The final defensive play by the Gamblers was awful. No idea why the Gamblers didn't double up on the one WR that was beating them all day.

syzpid fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 16, 2022

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

lol, Houston loving blooooooooooows

Congrats to Pittsburgh I guess

Also, congrats to the Fox production crew for titling a graphic: Houston, we "2nd Half" a problem

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Pittsburgh Hero Vad Lee

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

syzpid posted:

Who knew the only team with Home field advantage might have an advantage.

It seems kind of dumb to say one team has home field advantage when they all practice and play in the same stadium every game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The locals only turn out and care about the Stallions games. It helps.