Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I just randomly remembered Velvet Assassin, I do remember playing it for a bit but I have no idea if it was any good or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I've been replaying the Metal Gear Solid games and haven't really played above Normal difficulty in any of them so I did my replay of 2 on Hard w/ instant failure if I'm seen and it was a ton of fun, had to care about a lot of things I never really did in previous playthrus. May go back and try one of the Extreme modes after making it thru 3 again.

I miss Splinter Cell games, blacklist was pretty great and Chaos Theory is one of my favorite stealth games ever. May replay the SC games I have and the Thief games after I get tired of MGS again.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Are any/all splinter cell games playable on modern systems? I never got around to trying any of them. I see the original is on GOG, so I assume that's probably functional at least.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Gadzuko posted:

Are any/all splinter cell games playable on modern systems? I never got around to trying any of them. I see the original is on GOG, so I assume that's probably functional at least.

The PC versions work fine but not sure if all of them are available for any of the current consoles.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Big Scary Owl posted:

The PC versions work fine but not sure if all of them are available for any of the current consoles.

Afaik the Xbox can play them all through bc.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Big Scary Owl posted:

I just randomly remembered Velvet Assassin, I do remember playing it for a bit but I have no idea if it was any good or not.

I didn't mind it personally (the actual stealth gameplay anyway) and beat it years back. But I remember a lot of people hating it, since the gameplay was somewhat 'bland' stealth (which I mean, is still not a bad baseline as such IMO, since stealth is stealth) but also due to the portrayal of the main character due to who they were based on, or something similar. It's been a while so I don't recall the details, but I'm pretty sure the latter was a big part of it.

Anyway, I'm not sure about you guys, but I loved playing Kingdom Come: Deliverance as a stealth game! I'm always tempted to go back and replay that game, but I've got too much in my backlog atm. It was always great fun sneaking around, slitting bandits' throats or sneakily shooting their sentries before picking off the guys in their camps, etc.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Big Scary Owl posted:

It was buggy as all hell when I played it so I only got a little bit in. I guess technically this means I dunno how good it is but "couldnt find out if it was good or not cause of crashes" is a review of sorts

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Realising I never touched the series outside of the demo for 1 really I'm playing Syphon Filter Dark Mirror

Gabe is uh, not very good at the stealth thing is he

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

kirbysuperstar posted:

Realising I never touched the series outside of the demo for 1 really I'm playing Syphon Filter Dark Mirror

Gabe is uh, not very good at the stealth thing is he

Are there any real stealth mechanics in that one? I've only played 1 and Omega Strain ages ago.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Big Scary Owl posted:

Are there any real stealth mechanics in that one? I've only played 1 and Omega Strain ages ago.

Ostensibly it's a stealth game but you get seen extremely easily and some levels you're just on enemy alert and gun lots of them down anyway. You're also extremely fragile.

I guess I mostly consider it a stealth game because

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlnh0KLVJJ0

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/skacky/status/1571433181856862211

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Splinter Cell Remake Job Listing Reveals The Original Game’s Story Is Being Rewritten For Modern Audiences

quote:

A job listing for a scriptwriter on the upcoming Splinter Cell Remake at Ubisoft has indicated the development team are revamping the story for modern audiences.

Here’s a description of the job:

Using the first Splinter Cell game as our foundation we are rewriting and updating the story for a modern-day audience. We want to keep the spirit and themes of the original game while exploring our characters and the world to make them more authentic and believable.

As a Scriptwriter at Ubisoft Toronto, you will join the Narrative team and help create a cohesive and compelling narrative experience for a new audience of Splinter Cell fans.

The Splinter Cell Remake is set to utilise the Snowdrop engine and promises to deliver state-of-the-art visuals and revamped stealth gameplay, while Ubisoft intends to preserve the “heart of the Splinter Cell experience.”

Ubisoft has not announced a release date for the Splinter Cell Remake, although at this point the game is still very early in production.

Wonder how that will turn out.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Maybe they don't wanna make eastern Europeans the villains given what's going on over there, who knows. As long as the gameplay is good I don't really care what the story is

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/merlino_games/status/1575862769219272704

This just came out

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

:ocelot: hell yes

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Visions of MGS 1998.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

itry posted:

Visions of MGS 1998.

One of the steam reviews is 'When you want Metal Gear Solid but your mom says "we have Metal Gear Solid at home"'
which doesnt deter me from it but is very funny

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Aragami is 85% off for the next week or so. If you haven't picked it up yet now's a good time.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Heat Signature: do concussive weapons have an undocumented chance to kill people or something? I geared up for my second-ever personal mission, a capture mission with like 30 guards with random loadouts and several contractors, spent a good while sneaking through the ship cloning keycards and disabling turrets, tricked the Predator into teleporting into space, finally made it face to face with my nemesis, hit them with my Quiet Concussive Shotgun, and they dropped dead and it threw up a Mission Failed screen. The guard next to them who also got caught in the blast was knocked unconscious as expected.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Kamiwaza: Way of the Thief released yesterday, will probably try it out soon.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Important tip for anyone playing Heat Signature: Trackers will turn instantly and shoot you dead if they ever have a clear line of fire to you, if their sensors are online; when idle it looks like they turn normally, but you cannot (for example) teleport behind them and knife them before they can turn around, because you will die at the instant you emerge from the teleport. The only way to defeat a Tracker is to engage them indirectly (traps, grenades, etc) or disable their sensors with a subverter or crashbeam.

Really wish I'd found that out on a different character than the one with the "dies in one hit" trait on the last mission of the game. :argh:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Plague Tale: Requiem. Only played the first chapter but folks, it appears to rock just as much as the first.

(seriously, play Plague Tale: Innocence if you haven't already)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Kamiwaza Protip: Donating Jizo Statues and Number One Spring Rice is a good way to piss off the people you're trying to raise rep with. Source: this dumbass motherfucker typing this right now.