Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Is there any way to place your own map marker somewhere? Sometime I have trouble realigning myself in space to look for something I saw previously. Being able to put down a 3D map marker would fix that and apparently in the input there is a "Place Marker" key. Which as far as I can tell does nothing...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Warmachine posted:

I'mma just watch the video on it, because why outsource my laziness to someone else?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFwHgKhgjts&t=514s

you can turn off inertial dampening?? with a hotkey?!?!?!

why the gently caress isn't that tutorialized what the fuuuuuuck

e: this fuckin dev has it on a mouse button and didn't think to tell the players it exists within the game holy poo poo guy

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

On the main quest mission, X Marks the Spot, I am on the part where you have to open the Ancient Structure, but I don't understand what you are suppose to do now, and I can't find a walkthrough anywhere online.

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Is there any way to place your own map marker somewhere? Sometime I have trouble realigning myself in space to look for something I saw previously. Being able to put down a 3D map marker would fix that and apparently in the input there is a "Place Marker" key. Which as far as I can tell does nothing...

There actually is, I don't remember the key but it's in the key bindings in settings. That's also how I found out that you can turn off inertial dampening...
For me it works fine, it creates a beacon and I think you can have up to 3 of them at once and delete them by aiming at them and long-pressing "F" (which means that I keep deleting them when trying to pick something up or use the in-system boost).

Don't Ask fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 21, 2023

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

I said come in! posted:

On the main quest mission, X Marks the Spot, I am on the part where you have to open the Ancient Structure, but I don't understand what you are suppose to do now, and I can't find a walkthrough anywhere online.

almost all of those puzzles boil down to:

find the ancient rune chunk thing
put it in the swirly ??? holder
rotate it until it matches the symbol found nearby
repeat

oh, or the other option:

find the ancient lens
point ancient lens at glowy crystal

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

almost all of those puzzles boil down to:

find the ancient rune chunk thing
put it in the swirly ??? holder
rotate it until it matches the symbol found nearby
repeat

oh, or the other option:

find the ancient lens
point ancient lens at glowy crystal

My biggest problem with this game, It's all busywork "puzzles". Or jut plain hide n seek.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FrickenMoron posted:

My biggest problem with this game, It's all busywork "puzzles". Or jut plain hide n seek.

Yeah i'm not a big fan of these puzzles, and roaming around enclosed spaces. The game is at its best when fighting and going pew pew.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

I said come in! posted:

Yeah i'm not a big fan of these puzzles, and roaming around enclosed spaces. The game is at its best when fighting and going pew pew.

most of the puzzles in the game can be solved by finding an object then carrying it to a socket. whether it's a blasting charge or a precursor relic. same idea

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Don't Ask posted:

There actually is, I don't remember the key but it's in the key bindings in settings. That's also how I found out that you can turn off inertial dampening...
For me it works fine, it creates a beacon and I think you can have up to 3 of them at once and delete them by aiming at them and long-pressing "F" (which means that I keep deleting them when trying to pick something up or use the in-system boost).

It's NumPad + by default. I discovered this by accident the other day.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

most of the puzzles in the game can be solved by finding an object then carrying it to a socket. whether it's a blasting charge or a precursor relic. same idea

Fair, it's just that it's mostly busy work that is padding out the game length. The story campaign is feeling like it is dragging on longer than it needs to. Just doing the same puzzle over and over again is poor design.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I learned another interaction tonight; the missile perk that fires a free missile on critical hit can also trigger the chance to refund ammo when firing perk, effectively giving you regenerating ammo.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

I said come in! posted:

Fair, it's just that it's mostly busy work that is padding out the game length. The story campaign is feeling like it is dragging on longer than it needs to. Just doing the same puzzle over and over again is poor design.

I get that, but I'm enjoying the puzzles on another level. The interaction is simple, the "solution" is simple, yes. Put a thing in a thing. What I like about the puzzles is how you find the necessary elements to solve it. They're not randomly scattered around, each part you're looking for is telegraphed by something. You'll usually find a socket with no idea where the other part is, for example, but it can almost always be gleaned logically. What can I see from here that jumps out at me? What is that slightly discolored area? What is that smoke? Where does this debris field lead? What are those enemy ships doing circling around way out there? I've always found the parts I needed at a point of interest that tells something of a story about what happened.

Usually the story is "it blew up" but I guess in pew pew that's kinda the overall narrative.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

for Story Mission Adam's Run, I have to collect Clygon, Solar Particles, and Dark Energy. But I don't know where to find these, and the game won't let me travel to other parts of the galaxy to do other missions. :( I feel soft locked?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

I said come in! posted:

for Story Mission Adam's Run, I have to collect Clygon, Solar Particles, and Dark Energy. But I don't know where to find these, and the game won't let me travel to other parts of the galaxy to do other missions. :( I feel soft locked?

Solar Particles and dark energy are usually in the jars around ancient structures. Clygon is a common mineral in the system you're in. Can you travel within your system or are you stuck in the area?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Scruffpuff posted:

Solar Particles and dark energy are usually in the jars around ancient structures. Clygon is a common mineral in the system you're in. Can you travel within your system or are you stuck in the area?

Gotcha! I probably just have to fly around more for them to show up on the HUD. The story mission lets you travel around, I was just playing last night for a few hours and somehow managed to not come across anything. You just can't leave the system, I think in the story this is near the very end and is a point of no return moment. At least until the story is complete.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

I said come in! posted:

Gotcha! I probably just have to fly around more for them to show up on the HUD. The story mission lets you travel around, I was just playing last night for a few hours and somehow managed to not come across anything. You just can't leave the system, I think in the story this is near the very end and is a point of no return moment. At least until the story is complete.

Yeah just fly around the system and do the area discoveries, you'll be flush with those materials. I think that's the only reason that system is there.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
there's an area in the, I want to say upper right quadrant of that system's map where the puzzles give you a lot of the materials you need. Look for "ancient jars" or something. But most of them give the mats in that system so scrufflepuff is right, just keep exploring a bit.

you're not quite at the point of no return, by the way - another mission or three and you will be but the game slaps up a big warning saying MAKE A MANUAL SAVE when you get there.

e: I'll add, while you're there don't sleep on Unknown Signals in that sector. If you get the rich resource area random encounter, slap a mining catalyst on something and get pure clygon; that's an essential component if you want to craft your way to maxing out the ship dealers perk. Which you do, because that's how you get Tier 4 ships.

those random encounters are really lucrative, way better than what I did for pure baromite, which was slowly boating between 2-3 spots trying to farm it up. Took forever. Meanwhile, one resource encounter gave me all the pure clygon I needed because it had a dozen nodes of various types basically right next to each other. The catalyst is essential, putting it on a beam laser is not. Lots of people use mining flak guns because it one taps the node and apparently that works just fine.

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 22, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Everspace 2 overall is pretty good! This is truly the Freelancer 2 sequel that I have wanted for years. The only thing I want now is multiplayer where players can run their own custom servers like in Freelancer, and it'll be perfect.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

finished the campaign, immediately tried a 500 rift and got absolutely destroyed. Oops! :v:

Might have to gear up a bit there first, and definitely make sure I have some 'heal on crit/kill' weapons around to help with patching up after a fight since consumables are pretty limited in rifts.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

I said come in! posted:

Everspace 2 overall is pretty good! This is truly the Freelancer 2 sequel that I have wanted for years. The only thing I want now is multiplayer where players can run their own custom servers like in Freelancer, and it'll be perfect.

What do you think of the environmental puzzles in Outer Flare Zone? I think the rest of the game could use something like that. No hunting around constantly, some cool mechanics, logical progression, feels like you're working towards and discovering something. After this zone I almost feel they could revamp some of those puzzles to make them a bit less generic.

Also won't hurt to take out the timed poo poo.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Scruffpuff posted:

What do you think of the environmental puzzles in Outer Flare Zone? I think the rest of the game could use something like that. No hunting around constantly, some cool mechanics, logical progression, feels like you're working towards and discovering something. After this zone I almost feel they could revamp some of those puzzles to make them a bit less generic.

Also won't hurt to take out the timed poo poo.

Is part of the puzzle that it drops my frame rate to around 5fps? :P I need to come back there when I get my new PC with its RTX 4070ti.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

I said come in! posted:

Is part of the puzzle that it drops my frame rate to around 5fps? :P I need to come back there when I get my new PC with its RTX 4070ti.

LOL yep, my system was straining. Right after I did that zone I zipped over to the Inner Flare Zone, and was immediately met by the polar opposite: a set of frustrating, obtuse, and miserable puzzles and setpieces. So the old consistency vs. variety card is fully in play. It's tough to balance things when everyone finds something different enjoyable, but holy poo poo that zone is unpleasant. I left without accomplishing anything after far too much time trying.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
You can cheese that shadow creature puzzle in the flare zone a lot with the booster gadget.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I really enjoy this game but goddamn is the writing some of the worst I've encountered in an otherwise great game.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Omnicarus posted:

I really enjoy this game but goddamn is the writing some of the worst I've encountered in an otherwise great game.

"Maybe the real treasure was the friends we made along the way" says adam. he is booed by everyone and his hive self-deletes in protest

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
I've noticed that the biggest issue this game has is Hinterlands Syndrome, which is what I call it when there's a lot of optional things gamers feel like they have to get through because of a completionist impulse, even though it is all actually very optional and repetitive if you were to dive in and try to do them all at once when you enter an area. People burned themselves out hard in Dragon Age Inquisition over that sort of thing. You can do it here too.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Kavros posted:

I've noticed that the biggest issue this game has is Hinterlands Syndrome, which is what I call it when there's a lot of optional things gamers feel like they have to get through because of a completionist impulse, even though it is all actually very optional and repetitive if you were to dive in and try to do them all at once when you enter an area. People burned themselves out hard in Dragon Age Inquisition over that sort of thing. You can do it here too.

It doesn't help that there are plenty of locations that you can't 100% on your first visit because a chest that counts towards it will be locked behind a sidequest trigger that you haven't started/found yet.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Kavros posted:

People burned themselves out hard in Dragon Age Inquisition over that sort of thing. You can do it here too.

Those people are weak :colbert:

Psion posted:

Lots of people use mining flak guns because it one taps the node and apparently that works just fine.

That’s me. It owns. Also they’re amazing for clearing minefields.

I’m on gunship crew because more dakka is more better, but at some point I ended up with a marksman railgun and now I just murder everything from 4.5 km away. The only problem is finding the loot afterwards :/

Still in the first system at level 9 so not terribly far but having a good time!

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I played up until the part where you have to burn some roots with acid and got annoyed and uninstalled. It's not bad, but it's not great either. The one thing it's got going for it is the graphics, everything else is kinda mid. Writing and story is meh, music is lame, has the classic problem of almost every space game where every 'region' is cramped in a small sphere. Videos show fast flying and dynamic action, but what you're actually doing most of the time in combat is slowly strafing or flying backwards while shooting. Also not a fan of incremental Diablo loot in a game like this.

It's fun for a while, but I don't see myself ever returning to it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Psion posted:

those random encounters are really lucrative, way better than what I did for pure baromite, which was slowly boating between 2-3 spots trying to farm it up. Took forever. Meanwhile, one resource encounter gave me all the pure clygon I needed because it had a dozen nodes of various types basically right next to each other. The catalyst is essential, putting it on a beam laser is not. Lots of people use mining flak guns because it one taps the node and apparently that works just fine.

From what I can tell, the 25% on the mining laser just isn't significant after all the other math going on, since the resource counts per sample aren't big enough for you to notice as a squishy human brain. Meanwhile the tedium of power-washing crystals off asteroids is very noticeable. I'm sure over a large enough sample the difference will show up, but in gameplay? Nah. That's not how our brains work. That said, using a beam laser does feel kinda right sometimes, so I'm largely agnostic to it. Depends on the mood I'm in.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

TehSaurus posted:

I’m on gunship crew because more dakka is more better, but at some point I ended up with a marksman railgun and now I just murder everything from 4.5 km away. The only problem is finding the loot afterwards :/

among the many upgrades for sensors are superior loot detection ranges so that'll ease, at least. And having tried it, marksman railgun on gunship is so disgusting(ly fun)

I did some rifts the other night and they're basically Super High Risk Contracts, which makes sense. 4 waves, you choose a difficulty modifier for waves 2 and 3 just like high risk contracts have them (enemies level up, hidden health bars, whatever) but you have to manage both kills and killing fast enough that your resolve meter doesn't empty out, so no barely scraping along getting one kill every two minutes.

i also got a legendary gun on my second run. It looks powerful but it drains 5% ult energy per shot and the entire rest of my build is staying in ult mode pretty much constantly. Perhaps another one will be better :v:

I bet it'd be awesome on a ship class where I'd never use the ult, though. Those dps numbers are big.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Psion posted:

among the many upgrades for sensors are superior loot detection ranges so that'll ease, at least. And having tried it, marksman railgun on gunship is so disgusting(ly fun)

I did some rifts the other night and they're basically Super High Risk Contracts, which makes sense. 4 waves, you choose a difficulty modifier for waves 2 and 3 just like high risk contracts have them (enemies level up, hidden health bars, whatever) but you have to manage both kills and killing fast enough that your resolve meter doesn't empty out, so no barely scraping along getting one kill every two minutes.

i also got a legendary gun on my second run. It looks powerful but it drains 5% ult energy per shot and the entire rest of my build is staying in ult mode pretty much constantly. Perhaps another one will be better :v:

I bet it'd be awesome on a ship class where I'd never use the ult, though. Those dps numbers are big.

I saw that when I was peeking at the legendary list, and immediately filed it away for the dustbin because my whole schtick with my Vindicator is to build ult fast and go all Newtype-All-Range-Attack on everything with six invulnerable overclocked drones. It seems like it might be good on an Interceptor where you're effectively trading your Weapon Overdrive for shots.

Just uh, don't miss.

I need to just get to finishing the story. I was doing the Parasite quest today on lunch, and ran into an intermittent crash bug that occurs with Flak Cannons. Devs say they know about it and are trying to pin it down, so there's that. Though, I don't know why they've inflicted on themselves the horror of Steam Discussions by making their primary bug submission vector be Steam Discussions...

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Warmachine posted:

Just uh, don't miss.

but I run interceptor specifically for overdrive :v:

Whatever ship class has quantum tether is a more realistic candidate for me, maybe even gunship turret. Either way, something I want to test is whether or not it fires if you're at 0% ult. If it just drains energy like normal and also drains ult energy if available, that's fine. If it refuses to fire at all unless you have ult energy available, it's beyond worthless.

also about flak crash; I had that too. I saw a suggestion to try dx11 if you're using dx12 to reduce, but probably not zero out, crashes. Not sure if that helps you but I've been meaning to test it now that I have a level 30 penumbra flak I'm never gonna let go of.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Psion posted:

but I run interceptor specifically for overdrive :v:

Whatever ship class has quantum tether is a more realistic candidate for me, maybe even gunship turret. Either way, something I want to test is whether or not it fires if you're at 0% ult. If it just drains energy like normal and also drains ult energy if available, that's fine. If it refuses to fire at all unless you have ult energy available, it's beyond worthless.

also about flak crash; I had that too. I saw a suggestion to try dx11 if you're using dx12 to reduce, but probably not zero out, crashes. Not sure if that helps you but I've been meaning to test it now that I have a level 30 penumbra flak I'm never gonna let go of.

According to the wiki: You can't fire it if you're out of ult charge. Which is why I chucked it into the bin. It is admittedly a LOT of damage in a single shot, so the goal is clearly to shift gameplay away from using your Ultimate for fighting into powering your elephant gun. I think it's second only to Cruise Missiles in one-hit damage? It has a niche, I think. Just not one I'm interested in.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yo, I need some combat tips?

I generally chase after everything and dogfight like I'm Luke Skywalker and everything is my bitch.

However, I generally get swarmed and while I'm twisting around to take out one guy, I'm getting picked apart by 5 other threats hovering around me.

Suggestions?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Trip report from the final mission:

A mining rig to surpass Metal Gear!

Elon Musk can't fly.

H13 posted:

I generally chase after everything and dogfight like I'm Luke Skywalker and everything is my bitch.

However, I generally get swarmed and while I'm twisting around to take out one guy, I'm getting picked apart by 5 other threats hovering around me.

Suggestions?

You have 6DOF movement in space. Always be jinking, spinning, and generally making yourself a moving target, even in big ships. Don't neglect your shields and armor, and boost is your friend. You also have your Ult and Devices. It's easy to forget them, but a well-timed EMP or Ult can swing a fight in a hurry.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

H13 posted:

Suggestions?

Ships will fire at where you are at first, so if you're moving, they'll generally miss. But they'll adjust in a real hurry, and start leading their shots by aiming at where you're going to be, so you have to constantly be moving along different vectors. I usually bob and weave right, left, up, right, left, up, etc. while randomly boosting, to keep hits to a minimum. Take drones out with a quickness, they'll buzz close to your rear end and take down a lot of health. Unlike enemy ships they're not going to swing around for multiple passes - they'll hover right near you with guns trained on you at all times. They're a quick kill so don't ignore them. If you're approaching enemy formations take the drones out first.

For large slow ships don't sleep on the cruise missiles. Just today I had a cruise missile with an extended range catalyst (some 5.2 km or greater) that took out an entire formation of 5 or 6 ships in one hit, due to the large damage AOE on top of the critical hit explosion damage perk.

It took me a while to realize this game has far more in common with an land-bound FPS strafing combat game than a typical space combat game. Once you make that mental adjustment the difficulty drops dramatically.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
As someone up thread alluded to; I started having a lot more when I started treating this as a slightly more open Descent (so I guess the real vision Descent 3 could never fully achieve) instead of Wing Commander. I've finished out most of the achievements and the full story. Got a few challenges left but I think I'll put this down till the (hopefully still coming) DLC so I don't burn out. Rifts are fun but past level 300 or so they start to just feel a little bit too miserable for me.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Am I having false memories or did this game really have a robotic assistant onboard your ship and they removed it for the final release? Was it that unpopular? I mean, someone recorded tons of lines for that character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

J33uk posted:

As someone up thread alluded to; I started having a lot more when I started treating this as a slightly more open Descent (so I guess the real vision Descent 3 could never fully achieve) instead of Wing Commander. I've finished out most of the achievements and the full story. Got a few challenges left but I think I'll put this down till the (hopefully still coming) DLC so I don't burn out. Rifts are fun but past level 300 or so they start to just feel a little bit too miserable for me.

I did a couple 500s tonight, and while its definitely difficult, it's not really creatively difficult. For the most part I didn't have too much trouble keeping my drones up, but everything becomes a bullet sponge at that level of scaling. I did 3, and lost on my third because I couldn't track what was shooting at me, and whatever it was chewed through Vindicator shields, armor, and hull in almost a single shot. I think it was probably a sniper drone I lost track of.

That said, I found a booster and cargo with +Handling on it, so my heavy fighter turns on a dime now.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 25, 2023