Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
B. Tomb raiding time.

Edit: Last update on page before this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

I want Monk buuuuut potential wyrm companion so D

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Potential dragon egg boons are too tempting, D

Changed my mind, let's return to Monk

A

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 8, 2023

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Always rely only on your fists

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
[Three-way tie: Monk, Rogue/Warlock, Ranger]

You draw your finger over the notes you have written about dragon eggs and hesitation sweeps through you.

“Of the four rumors, there are three I think might be worth pursuing,” you tell Lias. “Can I get your perspective on them?”

“Of course,” Lias replies, “to the best of my abilities.”

“The first rumor… The Seekers in Moonlight. I think I encountered them five years ago, at the Long Night Festival. Traveling warriors in white overcoats. A woman named Galea was one of them. She somehow fired a toy rifle with the force of a true firearm, and with a single shot hit seven targets. I still remember the look in her eyes, aloof and proud, as she told me that I had potential. Lias, I hear the three of them are still in Rowangrave to this day.”

“Then you would track them down, ask them to teach you?”

“If they would have me.”

Lias rolls History with Guidance: 13+4 = 17.
Success!

“In my travels through the Lands of Mist, I have heard of many different sects… Necromantic Priests of Osybus, crusading Ulmist Inquisitors. Though I have not before heard the name Seekers in Moonlight, their description is familiar to me. I have heard a matching description used to refer to mercenary knights, preternaturally agile, wielding psychic powers. They are strange indeed, for I have never once heard of a castle or monastery from which their traditions hail. They may very well be willing to pass this power down to you, Cirrus. But you know neither their ideals nor the means by which they derive their powers. Yet, at least.”

“The second rumor… The Tomb of the Heroes. I told you once of how the heroes Aldric, Bjornmir, and Threnna defeated the Darklord Malafina long ago. Aldric’s legendary sword is said to be interred in their Tomb, waiting for the right time to be wielded again. Could this not be such a time?”

Lias rolls History with Guidance: 9+4 = 13.
Success!

“You would throw your life away for that sword, Cirrus,” Lias says darkly. “The Tomb of the Heroes, the grave surrounded by rowan trees for which this land is named… Just the trek south would be perilous. And yet to enter the tombs themselves! There is no adventurer in Rowangrave so brave or foolish as to throw their life away in that haunted and defiled tomb. Yet you wish to go there, powerless, as a means to obtain power?”

“But you don’t deny that there is a powerful artifact there, then?” you reply.

“By all means, I believe that legend to be true. It aligns with Rowangrave’s history. But I think you—no, we—would be more likely to be rent asunder than for you to emerge with that sword in hand, Cirrus.”

“The third rumor… The dragon eggs. I have it on good authority that there really are dragon eggs where the Rowanwald meets the Tor. Such an egg could make me rich if I were to sell it. But more than that, if I could gain the confidence of a newborn dragon…”

Lias rolls Arcana with Guidance: 19+3 = 22.
Success!

“Cirrus,” Lias says, “how far have you thought this plan through?”

“Ah…”

“Dragons are intelligent. They are people. Or rather, they are more intelligent, have more dignity and self, than any mortal. Your notes mention wyvern riders… Wyverns are beasts. If you sold a dragon egg to wyvern riders, you would essentially be selling a prince into slavery, to live the life of a horse. I cannot support such an action.”

“Lias…”

“However,” Lias says, “there is then the matter of befriending a newborn dragon. Suppose you did. A brass or silver dragon would perhaps be willing to befriend a tiefling. But a chromatic dragon—such a creature would be far worse than any orphan child you have helped raise, Cirrus. The appetite, the love for chaos and destruction… Within a year it would grow to be the size of a black bear.”

You feel a bit mortified by Lias’s knowledge on the matter. They continue describing the taxonomy of dragons to you for several minutes.

“Alright, alright, Lias,” you say. “I get it. It was a naive and stupid idea, and I did not think it through.”

“Oh… No, my friend, I did not mean to insult you. I’m sorry—I got a little carried away. All of this was to say, I do not think it would be wise to seek a dragon egg to sell. Nor do I think it is reasonable to try to tame a baby dragon, as one might housebreak a dog or cat. But there is a path I have heard of…. The Wyrmsibb. One who enters a blood covenant with a dragon. Such a covenant binds the dragon’s and the mortal’s life as one.”

“Wyrmsibb…” you repeat.

———

“There is one other thing I may offer you, to help you decide on which path to take,” Lias says. “A vision.”

They lead you to a darkened seance room, illuminated only by a single floating orb that glows the faint color of the midnight moon. Night-blooming flowers grow along the walls of this room, in pots and jars and creeping up the wall as vines.

Lias delicately cups a hand around the petals of one flower in particular, a white flower like a bell, with a fair pale green stem and two elegant leaves. With the care of a mother tending to a small child, they pluck the bell from the stem, leaving only nascent new growth on the plant.

“This is galanthus princeps, Esteemed Moly,” Lias says. “A holy flower from the Feywild.”

Lias places the flower bell in a small bowl of water, lets it steep. They bid you drink.

Then they incant, liltingly, as when reciting a psalm: Moly, whose roots touch the secrets of the earth, whose petals listen to the wind. Drink of its anther and its bell will sound inside you. The peal contains the world.

You drink. Soon, the desire to close your eyes washes over you. In that darkness, you feel your beating heart, as when sleep suddenly overtakes you, and you hear a clear sound. It is the sound of a small, bright bell rung from across a distant plain.

Visions flood your mind.

———

You are fighting that woman, Galea, upon a stony parapet at night. You aim your finger at her, condensing frost, but even as you do, she grabs your sleeve and you are thrown to the ground. From your vantage point you see her, and her two companions, and the thundering night sky above.

You see a gun. Know this gun. The feel of its action, the pull of its trigger. You see a blade. Flawlessly balanced. But these are mere tools. With a thought, you stop a bullet in its track. With a slicing motion through air, your hand cuts through armor.

You see a bare nape. A delicate ridge of spine. You see a waxing moon.

Soon it will be full.

———

Ocean waves. Thick and inky, by a graveyard by the sea. The warm lapping waters. A sword set in stone, veiled in moonlight. Strange light driving back monsters.

The warm waves rush over you. The salt sticks to your skin, your hair. It never leaves you. You luster like moonlight on night waters.

You are beautiful, and strong, and your will is as seafoam shimmering in the night.

———

The sound of eating. Not your eating, nor Lias’s eating. But the sound of eating. Old memories fade. New memories are gained. A forest, a hawk. An oath. A mercy. Violence. Like stories etched in stone change that stone forever, memories etch themselves upon your soul.

But your body…?

You hear a revving. You hear chains dragging on metal.

You hear a man’s voice cry out, rapturous vibrato.

“The vital principle!”

———

A serpent harried by cold steel. Blood on fallen leaves.

You take flight. Rest your head upon pliant scales. See the world, in waking, as you so often do in dreaming—far above it all.

Hunger and desire grow in equal measures.

Curved talons and curved blades. A dragon that flies as swift as your arrow.

The world grows smaller as his wings grow vast.

And you are marked.

———

The trance fades.

You are sweating. Your hands are upon the seance table, palms turned upward, and Lias’s hands are holding yours.

“I know for certain which path I will choose,” you say.

Which vision will you follow?
A. Seekers in Moonlight (MONK)
B. Tomb of the Heroes (WARLOCK or ROGUE)
C. Dragon Eggs in the Tor (RANGER)

(In the case of another tie, the final decision will be made by dice roll.)

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
B. Seek the Tomb of Heroes. Those visions intrigue me so.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

B :colbert:

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
C

Whoever
Jul 26, 2007
C

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

C

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

C

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

C

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
[Dragon eggs in the Tor]

“Let us go to the Tor,” you say, “to the foot of the mountains, to find a dragon egg, and make a pact with a dragon.”

Lias smiles at you, a wry but well-humored smile. “Strange times indeed when hunting for dragon eggs is the most sensible course of action. But I find this plan agreeable.”

“Good. We can leave in a week, then, if that pleases you,” you say. “I will need some time to buy equipment and goods for our travels.”

“That is perfect,” Lias says. “Time enough for me to conclude my ongoing business and to arrange for my contact to meet with us. We will want all the help we can get in this adventure.”

The word fills your heart with a strange sweetness. Adventure. But this is an adventure, is it not? Adventure, and escape, and the promise of freedom. Though it may also be the promise of death, again, there in the woods.

“We’ll meet again in a week, then,” you say.

Lias looks at you, puzzled. “What? No. We’ll meet again tomorrow. And the day after. We can pool our resources, shop together. We’re in this together, you know.”

The words take a moment to register in your mind.

You’re not alone.

“Yes, Lias, you’re right,” you say. “Together, we’ll find a dragon egg. I can try… No, I will, one way or another, find a way to gain a dragon’s trust. Then we will be strong enough to survive whatever comes our way. We’re in this together.”

Lias joins your party.

quote:

YOUR PARTY
Cirrus Mist, Level 3 Survivor (Sneak)

Lias, Spirit Medium, Level 3 Bard (College of Spirits)

“Now, then, on the matter of preparations,” Lias says. “I can provide the healing potions. And I have some bare necessities for traveling and defending myself, as any Vistani would have. For our endeavor, I should be able to provide 150 gold pieces.”

“I have around 50 gold pieces,” you say, “my life savings.”

“200 gold pieces, then. It’s no king’s ransom, but it should be more than enough to fund our adventure. Now… When we meet again tomorrow, where should we make our first stop?”

What will you shop for first tomorrow?
A. Weapons and armor.
B. Alchemical consumables.
C. Rations and field equipment.
D. Hirelings.
E. Transportation.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

A

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
E

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

C necessities first

Whoever
Jul 26, 2007
C

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
C

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Slaan posted:

C necessities first

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

C

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
[Rations and field equipment.]

You decide to start with the basics. Tomorrow, you and Lias will visit the Condor’s Perch, an outfitter that caters to travelers. The two of you settle on a time—late day, after your shift ends—and finish your tea. Then you stand on the precipice of Lias’s entryway and say your goodbyes.

“It has been good—beyond good, Lias, to see you again.”

Your heart stirs as you speak. Lias simply smiles.

“We won’t be strangers, Cirrus. I’ll see you again shortly. Spirits guide you.”

You step away and the door closes behind you.

———

The apartment has been cleaned up somewhat since you left it this morning. This is, you determine, most likely the positive influence of Damien’s boyfriend. Damien, meanwhile, is nowhere to be found—as usual, between his drumming gig, his beat for the paper, and the miscellany of odd jobs he cobbles together at strange hours of the day.

Left in relative peace and quiet, you think about the matters you’ll need to take care of before you leave on your adventure, the mundane tasks of everyday life: covering rent, quitting your job. Will you return to living with Damien once you have returned? Will you return at all? With a dragon egg—with a dragon?

When you moved in, you and Damien agreed the pet fee was too much.

Such thoughts bounce to and fro in your mind as you lie in bed, holding the owlbear plush that has survived all this time as your consciousness fades. No, you think, you will make a clean break. You’ll leave this life behind, and carve a new path forward. If things don’t work out, maybe Lias will have you…

———

You tell your boss you’re quitting.

“Hells, kid, good for you,” she says, and gets back to wiping down a stein.

You were never close. And this was never anything more than a source of income for you. You’ll finish up your week, and that’s the end of that.

———

Lias leans against the stone facade of the Condor’s Perch, one foot crossed over the other at the ankle. They are wearing a green tunic with loose-fitting trousers and a long gray cloak. With an easy little smirk and a practiced shift of their eyes in your direction, they acknowledge your arrival.

“You’ll want something like this,” they say, as the two of you browse the variety of wares in the store. “An explorer’s pack. It’ll come with most of the essentials, so you won’t have to buy everything separately and risk forgetting something.”

The explorer’s pack consists of a large brown leather traveler’s backpack, with sturdy metal clasps and an embossed condor in flight; a bedroll; a mess kit with stackable bare essentials for preparing food; a tinderbox and torches; some rope; and several days’ worth of hardtack and tarhana.

“We can, ah, perhaps get some food elsewhere,” Lias says.

You tilt your head at Lias. “Hmm? This seems like plenty.”

Images come to mind of your orphanage mess hall, of reconstituting tarhana in hot water to form an easy soup. Geth had lost a baby tooth trying to bite right into the hardtack—you had to teach him how to let it soak in the milky broth, rehydrating until it became soft enough to eat.

A strange feeling stirs inside you. You tamp the feeling down.

“Next you’ll need some traveling clothes. Sturdy boots, a lighter, more rain-resistant cloak than that heavy cotton one you’re wearing now.” They grab you gingerly by the arm and lead you to pick out different apparel. You settle on a matching set of dark brown boots and a hooded dark brown cape, with a cool gray tunic and dark slacks.

“I already have a tent we can split between us,” Lias says, “so that will ease our costs a little. Let’s see—between the explorer’s pack and the traveling clothes, that’s twelve gold.”

Twelve gold. The words are like a kidney shot.

“Oh, spirits!” Lias says as you are still reeling from your expenses. Again they grab you and pull you across the store. Now you are standing in front of a glass display case. “A mithral skillet! It's an absolute steal!”

All their feywild charms come to bear on you as they lock eyes with you, hopeful, pleading. Twenty gold pieces.

Lias rolls Charisma! 16+3 = 19.
Cirrus rolls Wisdom with Advantage! 3+1 = 4. 2+1 = 3.

“Well… Most of our money is from your funds, Lias,” you say. “I have no grounds to deny you this.”

“You won’t regret it, Cirrus,” Lias says. “Oh—the meals we’ll share.”

An explorer’s pack, a set of traveler’s clothes, and a mithral skillet. If you buy nothing else, your expenses will be 32 gold, leaving you with 168 gold after.

What else do you purchase? (Select multiple)
A. A hooded lantern and oil - 5 gold.
B. A steel hunting trap - 5 gold.
C. A healer’s kit - 5 gold.
D. A fishing kit - 1 gold.
E. Cartographer’s tools - 15 gold.
F. Painter’s supplies - 10 gold.
G. Woodcarver’s tools - 1 gold.
H. Nothing else.

Cephas fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Nov 29, 2023

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)
A B C D sound useful

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
D A C F.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

H. We still need money for weapons.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Cx2

Whoever
Jul 26, 2007
A B C D E

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Kanthulhu posted:

A B C D sound useful

:hai:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

G what more could we need

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
[You purchase field supplies: A hooded lantern with oil. A steel hunting trap. A healer’s kit. A fishing kit.]

There is something almost comical about the way you and Lias have to carry the equipment, in bundled armfuls, to the merchant’s check-out counter.

“You two goin’ on the lam or somethin’?”

Cirrus rolls Insight: 19.
Success.

The cashier is gray-haired, rugged. You take his comment to be a joke, but it has an edge to it. As you hold your boots and fishing rod in one hand and a steel trap in the other, you see how your desire for self-sufficiency might seem like a sudden flight.

But then, it is, isn’t it?

“Reason I ask is, if yer headin north or east and hopin’ to make it to neighborin’ lands, yer poo poo outa luck,” the merchant says. “Mists’re thick these days. Swallow you up whole. An’ that’s the end of you.”

He places a hand on the mithral skillet Lias has laid on the counter. “So if yer gonna march straight to yer deaths, do me a favor an’ don’t make my wares any scarcer.”

You glance over to Lias. They return your glance, smile disarmingly to the merchant, and say, “No, no. It’s nothing like that. We’re staying local. But my friend here is starting up an adventuring company, and I’m investing in the enterprise. I’ve seen quite a few field supplies in my travels, and I can tell your shop has reliable, quality wares. This mithral pan… would you happen to know if it was crafted in Mordentshire?”

Lias rolls History: 5+2 (Guidance)+3 (Bardic Inspiration) = 10.
Failure.

The merchant shrugs. “The mithral mighta been worked by alchemists there. Bought it off a peddler moons ago, said it was Lamordian in make.”

Lias scratched their cheek, slightly miffed. “Ah—yes, Lamordia… With their… heavy industries, of course. A land of ice and steam.”

“Aye,” the merchant says. He starts tallying up your goods.

“Say,” Lias says suddenly. “Seeing as how we’re buying in bulk today, and since my friend here is just getting this venture started… We may need to make similar large equipment investments in the future. As we solidify and expand, of course. Might you offer a special rate for a new adventuring group?”

Lias rolls Persuasion: 17+3 (Guidance) = 20.
Success.

“Hah! Just askin’ straight up for a discount. Forthright attitude. I like that, kid. Ask and ye’ll receive. Yer subtotal’s 48 gold pieces. I’ll shave off 5. Take that lantern fer free. May it light yer way. Don’ let the mist or dark get yeh, and come spend some more gold here. That a bargain you can agree with?”

“It is,” you say, and you shake hands with the man.

[You spend 43 gold pieces.
You have 157 gold pieces.]

[Your party gains the following items:
An explorer’s pack.
A set of traveler’s clothes.
A mithral skillet.
A hooded lantern with oil.
A steel hunting trap.
A healer’s kit.
A fishing kit.]

“We can take everything back to my home and then continue shopping,” Lias says. “Where to next?”

What do you shop for next?
A. Weapons and armor.
B. Alchemical consumables.
C. Hirelings.
D. Transportation.

Cephas fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 29, 2023

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
D. Get us our rides.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

D Arrange suitable transport.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)
A, obviously

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

A

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

A

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009

(Dany shits in a field)
I wonder what our starting armor and weapon proficiencies look like. I'm guessing only simple weapons and light armor?

Those tend to be cheaper.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Yes, Cirrus currently has proficiency in simple weapons and light armor. You can find a character sheet in the update titled [Dragon eggs in the Tor].

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
[Weapons and armor.]

Your next stop takes you to Byrnie & Battleaxe. A large emporium, two city guards stand watch in its entryway. As you gaze upon wardrobed manikins decorated to look like various types of warriors—stout knight, nimble archer, crafty man-at-arms—you wonder what sort of equipment would be most suited to someone like yourself.

You already own a dagger, and Lias owns both a rapier and studded leather armor.

The following equipment catch your eye:

Melee Weapons
Dagger - 2 gold pieces
1d4 piercing damage; finesse; light; thrown (20 ft.; disadvantage up to 60 ft.)
[Survivor feature: Unnoticed. You are able to appear unarmed if you only have a single dagger on your person. When searched, you can always hide a single dagger on your person.]
A useful weapon in a variety of situations. Easy to dual-wield and suitable for throwing, one can never have too many daggers. Or perhaps that is your proclivity for them coming through.

Greatclub - 2 silver pieces
1d8 bludgeoning damage; two-handed
[Survivor feature: Terrifying. Add 1d4 to Intimidation rolls while wielding this weapon.]
A large, studded bat, terrifying to imagine using on any living creature.

Handaxe - 5 gold pieces
1d6 slashing damage; light, thrown (20 ft.; disadvantage up to 60 ft.)
[Survivor feature: Reliable. Add 1d4 to Survival rolls while wielding this weapon in camp.]
A small, reliable axe, well-balanced and useful for a variety of purposes. Easy to dual-wield and suitable for throwing.

Mace - 5 gold pieces
1d6 bludgeoning damage
[Survivor feature: Easy to use. You have Shield Proficiency while wielding this weapon.]
A metal scepter with a heavy, weighted ball at one end. It practically swings itself.

Quarterstaff - 2 silver pieces
1d6 bludgeoning damage; versatile (1d8 damage when wielded with two hands)
[Survivor feature: Surefooted. Lower your Exhaustion by 1 level while wielding this weapon.]
A sturdy, well-balanced staff. A reasonable addition to any traveler’s ensemble.

Spear - 1 gold piece
1d6 piercing damage; versatile (1d8 damage when wielded with two hands), thrown (20 ft.; disadvantage up to 60 ft.)
[Survivor feature: Warding. Gain +1 AC against foes in melee range when wielding this weapon without a shield.]
A dependable spear, requiring little training to deploy effectively.

Longsword - 15 gold pieces
1d8 slashing damage, versatile (1d10 damage when wielded with two hands)
[Not proficient!]
The archetypal longsword. Its elegance catches your eye, though you don’t know how to wield one.

Greataxe - 30 gold pieces
1d12 slashing damage, heavy, two-handed
[Not proficient!]
A heavy executioner’s axe, or so it seems to you. You would have trouble swinging such a weapon without training, though a single solid hit might be all you need to fell a foe.

Ranged Weapons
Light Crossbow - 25 gold pieces
1d8 piercing damage, two-handed, requires bolts, loading (can only fire once per round), ranged (80 ft.; disadvantage up to 320 ft.)
[Survivor feature: Militia weapon. Add 1d4 to Intimidation rolls while wielding this weapon.]
A widespread militia weapon, crossbows of this sort are deadly weapons even in the hands of commoners.
It includes a quiver of bolts.

Shortbow - 25 gold pieces
1d6 piercing damage, two-handed, requires arrows, ranged (80 ft., disadvantage up to 320. Ft.)
[Survivor feature: Hunting. Add 1d4 to Survival rolls while wielding this weapon to hunt small game.]
A shortbow, the favored weapon of hunters.
It includes a quiver of arrows.

Flintlock Pistol - 140 gold pieces
3d8 piercing damage, requires drakepowder, requires bullets, slow loading (can only fire once per round, requires two Actions to reload in combat), ranged (30 ft., disadvantage up to 90 ft.)
In the Lands of Mist, firearms are cherished for their power to vanquish monsters. Drakepowder, an especially volatile substance native to Rowangrave, powers these lethal arms. However, such a weapon is of little use after its first shot is fired.
It includes a tin of drakepowder and a bag of bullets.

Armor
Padded Jacket - 5 gold pieces
Armor class 11 + Dexterity Modifier
Disadvantage on Stealth rolls.
A quilted gambeson made of spun flax, stuffed with scraps of cloth. Usually worn on its own when traveling light, or as the innermost layer when wearing proper armor. This particular set is somewhat squeaky.

Leather Armor - 10 gold pieces
Armor class 11 + Dexterity Modifier
A gambeson made of leather, stuffed with fur.

Studded Leather Armor - 45 gold pieces
Armor class 12 + Dexterity Modifier
A boiled leather cuirass, with vambraces to protect the arms and cuisses to protect the thighs. Metal studs worked into the leather provide additional protection. Cuts a dashing figure when worn atop a collared shirt.

Round Shield - 10 gold pieces
+2 Armor Class
[Not proficient!]
A medium-size shield made of wood and bands of iron. While anyone can hold a shield and gain additional protection from it, in untrained hands, modifying one’s fighting style to accommodate the heft, space, and vision impairment of a shield comes at great cost.

You have 157 gold pieces to spend.

Decision 1: What melee weapon(s), if any, do you purchase?
A. Dagger
B. Greatclub
C. Handaxe
D. Mace
E. Quarterstaff
F. Spear
G. Longsword
H. Greataxe
I. None

Decision 2: What ranged weapon(s), if any, do you purchase?
A. Light Crossbow
B. Shortbow
C. Flintlock Pistol
D. None

Decision 3: What armor, if any, do you purchase?
A. Padded Jacket
B. Leather Armor
C. Studded Leather Armor
D. Round Shield
E. None

(Note: Since it is possible to go over-budget, interpreting votes will be made at my discretion. In general, at least two votes are required to purchase an item.)

Cephas fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 3, 2023

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
1. I
2. C
3. E

When in doubt, shoot. Surely that will be sufficient.

Whoever
Jul 26, 2007
1. C, D
2. A
3. B, D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

E
B
A

We're going after dragons. Weapons and armor won't win the day. Getting us there without exhaustion is most important