Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
Early days (100%'d area 1, about 70%'d area 2, just done my first night mission) but my one complaint so far is the difficulty is through the floor and a bunch of very early upgrades just serve to completely trivialise what challenge remains. Oh, I can train oatchi to go gather my idle pikmin for me? That's neat, kinda simplifies part of the dandori route strategizing but alright, at least it takes him a while to run around gathering them all up. Oh, I can buy a mega whistle that alerts every idle pikmin on the map to come straight to me, so I literally never have to think about how many pikmin are back at base or risk losing at nightfall or having enough pikmin in my active squad? Okay!

Like alright, you control the buttons you press, I can just not use the things but it's wild that upgrades this early on trivialise a lot of an already very easy game. But idk, it's Pikmin 2 2, maybe it gets brutal later and justifies needing the upgrades.

Beyond that though, the game kicks rear end and I'm having a great time with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Raylax posted:

Early days (100%'d area 1, about 70%'d area 2, just done my first night mission) but my one complaint so far is the difficulty is through the floor and a bunch of very early upgrades just serve to completely trivialise what challenge remains. Oh, I can train oatchi to go gather my idle pikmin for me? That's neat, kinda simplifies part of the dandori route strategizing but alright, at least it takes him a while to run around gathering them all up. Oh, I can buy a mega whistle that alerts every idle pikmin on the map to come straight to me, so I literally never have to think about how many pikmin are back at base or risk losing at nightfall or having enough pikmin in my active squad? Okay!

Like alright, you control the buttons you press, I can just not use the things but it's wild that upgrades this early on trivialise a lot of an already very easy game. But idk, it's Pikmin 2 2, maybe it gets brutal later and justifies needing the upgrades.

Beyond that though, the game kicks rear end and I'm having a great time with it

Reportedly there is a very v meaty postgame. I imagine that's when the difficulty gets going

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I'm continuing my Pikmin 2 replay, and the game keeps pulling this "gotcha" where a bomb spawns on your Pikmin sometimes when they dig something up in the caves. It means you need to babysit them every time they're digging and never get that sweet Dandori multitasking going! It really does feel like they misunderstood what to focus on in the Pikmin formula in this one.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I've already decided I'm not even buying the two items that auto summon Pikmin until I have literally everything else (and I'll unequip them) but I don't think it's a problem that they are in the game. If people want a more leisurely experience those items are there for them.

Personally I like the oatchi roundup skill because it actually takes time and uses a resource. It's just one step removed from something I'd do in Pikmin 3 all the time where I just sent one captain to go gather up strays via the map.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The new Longlegs species is the best pikmin enemy ever lmfao

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The auto summons are convenient but not game breaking.

The one that summons them all to you is static. They summon the pikmin to where you were when you activated it. So you have to stand there or go back to that location when they all show up. The Oatchi version means you don't have Oatchi to do more important stuff. He's your 2nd captain and a huge boon in combat.

Both of them preserve the dandori challenge. They're tools, but they have tradeoffs in terms of time management and optimization.

Sure if you're just chilling and taking it easy, they make things a lot more chill and more easy. But if you're in a hurry and trying to do three things at once they are tools that require thought and planning to use optimally.

Emphasizing dandori was a brilliant concept for this game. Nothing is easy to dandori. Sure, you could put in a low effort and get it done guaranteed, but what you're really doing is spending time to save effort. You're making a tradeoff. You're free to do that if that's what you want, but you're being made very aware that you could be doing things more efficiently.

The early days are "easy" you say? Well, try doing them faster then!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I think even more than the caves, the copious entries in the piklopedia and treasure catalog are what make this most like Pikmin 2, and I love it. I spent hours as a kid pouring over them in the original and these feel like they were written with the same level of care.

3 didn’t have either for the most part and everyone knew they hosed up because they fixed it for 3 Deluxe. Pikmin lore > any other gaming lore

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Pikmin4, is good

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Very good.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I will implement Dandori into every aspect of my life

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Lol ofc they brought back (post game spoilers) Man at legs

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
They should have let me customize my whistle to make various silly noises.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Eiba posted:

The auto summons are convenient but not game breaking.

The one that summons them all to you is static. They summon the pikmin to where you were when you activated it. So you have to stand there or go back to that location when they all show up.

If you use it next to a task they'll automatically start doing that task as soon as they get there, so there's no need to stand around and babysit them. I use it a lot to collect rock piles and enemies.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

"Man I hope I hope the postgame is huge"

Me, a fool, not realizing just how loving big this game is 10 minutes ago

For all the complaints about the retcon (credits 1 spoiler) it's so loving funny that it's not. Olimar just crashed again after buying his car back then crashed **again** to save his probably evil dog

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 23, 2023

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Olimar is a very smart man in matters of science and archaeology

He is however a terrible ship pilot

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Haven't played since Pikmin 1 when I was a little kid but I'm really enjoying this. Got to say though I remember combat being way more lethal, but maybe I was just a kid and I sucked at it.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
So I haven't played a pikmin game since pikmin 1, but i just sort of shotgunned through this entire game in the past 24 hours and oh boy was it a good time.

As far as dungeons go, I really enjoyed (names spoilered because I think some of them are from 2?) sub-par discotheque, as well as the submerged castle. Night time tower defense missions were a really good time as well. Dandori Challenges were absolute aces, and even the dandori battles which had the split screen issue were still fun to play.

Looking forward to digging into some of this meaty postgame content.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Oatchi's rush charge makes dealing with enemies easier, to the point spotty bulbears are very easy to take care of.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Played a bunch of Pikmin 4. Pretty fun. Just went through the Submerged Castle throwback level and its just as bullshit as I remember. Will continue playing and hopefully finish the game. I regret dropping Pikmin 3 before finishing the final area of that game.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
This game is reminding me so much of Pikmin 2 and that rules because it's one of my favorite games of all time. I hated the 30 day limit in 1. Much preferred the challenge being shifted to keeping your limited number of little dudes alive in hostile themed caves over existential time pressure. 2 also has some of the most enjoyable flavor text I've ever seen in a game with Olimar/Louie/the ship's notes for everything

3 went by so fast I don't even remember it

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

The coop... isn't great.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I just hit the credits so I guess I'm past the early game.

drat, this game is good. Best Pikmin game? It's largely Pikmin 2 again, but it's such a great refinement of that game's style.

It's amazing how many different modes there are in this game and they're all fantastic. Exploring the overworld, exploring dungeons, night time sieges, dandori vs battles, dandori time challenges... and I just found out that Olimar has something for me to do in the post game.

I feel like it could easily feel like there was a lack of focus, but they all fit together so seamlessly. All of them have been a ton of fun. I felt like I would end up dreading the portions of the game I didn't like as much, but honestly, it's all been a blast. The gameplay variety helped me binge it- 20 hours in two days without anything growing stale.

If I did have one nitpick though I really wish the dandori battles weren't split screen. Or there was an option to turn it off or something.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
I feel like they had more planned to do at night so you could balance whatever that is with the nighttime expeditions, since otherwise devoting a whole day to those expeditions seems a little strange. Put more life sim in my Pikmans.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Well hit credits, immediately ignored starting the post game to instead do Olimar's story. Yeah, this is 100% an alternate Pikmin 1 timeline. Then I found out that doing that unlocks a series of challenges to do which also eats a day so uh doing that later. Cleared the remaining night missions to get a cure buffer (and laughing my rear end off at the surprise they start busting out in area 4's night missions. And then wishing it was an actual threat.) Then I finally get back to the main story and find that once again, Louie has decided to cause problems on purpose. Can we just shove him in a monster's stomach and keep him there this time?

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Eiba posted:

If I did have one nitpick though I really wish the dandori battles weren't split screen. Or there was an option to turn it off or something.

the splitscreen is native so that the coop player can shoot the dandori opponent's dog lmao

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Oh gently caress off

Final(?) Area Treasure Another Doomsday 1000 requirement. Also they really should have 'suggested' white pikmin christ the enemies are tough

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

tokenbrownguy posted:

the splitscreen is native so that the coop player can shoot the dandori opponent's dog lmao

i can't believe they made the coop partner a cop

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

tokenbrownguy posted:

Lol cool

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Oh my god I didn't realize you could double-whistle to unstick ice pikmin after they freeze a body of water. I thought they just had to remain there until they ended up living sacrifices for the beasts of the night. Oh my god.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Pikmin 4 is fun but I would really appreciate if the game would stop going “aww that sucks, want to turn back time so it never happened?” every time I suffer any sort of setback.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Just started this today after doing the demo like 2-3 weeks ago.
Dandori Battle P1 vs. P2 is the only multiplayer mode which isn't just rock throwing, right?
Also if you leave a cave partway through, do you have to go through the whole thing again if you go back? Do enemies respawn?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

You start from the last floor you've made it to

parara
Apr 9, 2010
How likely is it that we're going to get a patch that adds an option to turn off the split-screen during Dandori battles vs npcs. Because good god.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Snake Maze posted:

Pikmin 4 is fun but I would really appreciate if the game would stop going “aww that sucks, want to turn back time so it never happened?” every time I suffer any sort of setback.

I only ever got this when I lost an entire color of Pikmin in a dungeon and at that point it would have been a reset anyways, it’s much better than the Switch port of Pik2 where I just had to quit out of the game entirely to reset a floor

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Snake Maze posted:

Genuinely curious under what condition the game suggested that.

The only time I got that was fighting a big stompy boss. I was running around on the dog, thinking about how much easier it was to keep from getting any of my pikmin stepped on when they were all basically in a single point. And then it stomped on my dog and every single pikmin I had with me died. I felt that was an appropriate time for the game to suggest that I rewind time.

I remember reading that they wanted players to not feel bad about resetting when they messed up as an accessibility thing. You're free to ignore it if you want a story of loss and recovery, but it's probably good that's there for most players. Depending on how zealous that notification is- I like I said I only ever got it once.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

goferchan posted:

Oh my god I didn't realize you could double-whistle to unstick ice pikmin after they freeze a body of water. I thought they just had to remain there until they ended up living sacrifices for the beasts of the night. Oh my god.

Why would you think you'd have to leave them? lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

sigher posted:

Why would you think you'd have to leave them? lol

I thought that was like the sacrifice for getting stuff in the water without having access to blue Pikmin yet. I thought it seemed really weird lol. I've only lost like 60 that way thankfully

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

How did I miss this when I picked this treasure up?!?

https://twitter.com/Rheycore/status/1682430021066199040

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Can’t bring myself to kill that chill Mamuta, that’ll be the last treasure I get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infernot
Jul 17, 2015

"A short night wakes me from a dream that seemed so long."
Grimey Drawer

Jet Jaguar posted:

How did I miss this when I picked this treasure up?!?

https://twitter.com/Rheycore/status/1682430021066199040

Someone in the replies said it can also play the Song of Storms from Ocarina of Time. I wonder if those are the only two songs. It feels like they really put so much love into this game, it's so cute when the Pikmin sing songs from previous games too :allears: