Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Outrail posted:

Soulweaver. It's a terrible option but this at least requires deception and knowledge of chaos, something we at least have passing familiarity.

The other two require a fight against bigger stronger foes or smarter, wealthier does and we have zero experience with either.

We're hosed either way, but the chaos option includes an potential to abandon the mission and escape into the broader society.

E: NPC - Croak - Fellow tech priest sentenced to be servitorized but the processed didn't work and he retained his personality and intellect. They didn't know what to do with a failure like this and signed him to the penal legion. Croak serves us because we're the only one who can keep his vital processes maintained. Looks and functions as a type of servitor but has full mental capacity (and all the expected mental trauma and hangups).

Seconding all this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

Outrail posted:

Soulweaver. It's a terrible option but this at least requires deception and knowledge of chaos, something we at least have passing familiarity.

The other two require a fight against bigger stronger foes or smarter, wealthier does and we have zero experience with either.

We're hosed either way, but the chaos option includes an potential to abandon the mission and escape into the broader society.

E: NPC - Croak - Fellow tech priest sentenced to be servitorized but the processed didn't work and he retained his personality and intellect. They didn't know what to do with a failure like this and signed him to the penal legion. Croak serves us because we're the only one who can keep his vital processes maintained. Looks and functions as a type of servitor but has full mental capacity (and all the expected mental trauma and hangups).

i love Croak and want to gently pat his head

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Sometimes Croak wakes from dreams filled with the rich staccato of heels on a dancefloor and strains to picture the face of woman he can't remember.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Soulweaver

NPC: Didymus Krimm, a rakish minor noble who lost his eyes years ago, and has sophisticated cybernetic replacements which he promptly used to cheat at cards and swindle the gullible through his enhanced sensory capabilities. Exceptionally observant, good at reading people, made sure to ingratiate himself to the one guy that could troubleshoot his ability to see.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Mission 1: Operation Soulweaver

Croak - Fellow tech priest sentenced to be servitorized but the processed didn't work and he retained his personality and intellect. They didn't know what to do with a failure like this and signed him to the penal legion. Croak serves us because we're the only one who can keep his vital processes maintained. Looks and functions as a type of servitor but has full mental capacity (and all the expected mental trauma and hangups). Sometimes Croak wakes from dreams filled with the rich staccato of heels on a dancefloor and strains to picture the face of woman he can't remember.

Afet Demir - Afet was in training with the Order Hospitallar when she got caught selling medications and supplies to guardsmen, nobles and local gangs. She survived being scourged (leaving her with massive whip scars on her torso) and was therefore sent to the penal colony. Here, she used her knowledge of chemistry, medicine and Sororitas combat tactics to make her very popular with other inmates as the back alley doc

Didymus Krimm - a rakish minor noble who lost his eye years ago, and has sophisticated cybernetic replacements which he promptly used to cheat at cards and swindle the gullible through his enhanced sensory capabilities. Exceptionally observant, good at reading people, made sure to ingratiate himself to the one guy that could troubleshoot his ability to see.

Brukk - a gentle-hearted Ogryn, a towering behemoth endowed with enormous strength yet plagued by guilt and sorrow. Once a loyal Imperial Guard, his life veered into tragedy during a chaotic skirmish with rebels, where a mistaken order led him to unintentionally kill innocent Imperial civilians. Sentenced to a penal colony, Brukk's unyielding faith in the Imperium remains, his jovial demeanor and booming laughter acting as a beacon of positivity amidst the colony's bleakness. Despite his past mistakes, he yearns for redemption

---------------

Sister Marielle, her armor shimmering in the low, grim light, flicked on a pict-screen. An image flickered into existence - a world of deep shadows and stark contrasts. "This is Scintilla," she began, her voice echoing through the chamber. "A feudal world, untouched by time. Its planetary governor, Marcellus Veraine, is under suspicion. We've reason to believe he is a worshiper of Slaanesh. His parties, his wealth, and the mysterious relics and artifacts that he flaunts - all these point to the influence of the Dark Prince."

Didymus, his cybernetic eye flickering with interest, leaned back, crossing his arms over his chest. "If he's so dangerous, why not just cleanse the world with holy fire? An Exterminatus should serve."

Marielle turned to face him, her gaze as cold and hard as a bolt round. "You think the Imperium would waste an entire world because of one man's sin, Krimm?" she asked, "No, Scintilla is vital to our cause. Its manpower, its raw materials - they are all resources we cannot afford to lose."

The Sister Superior then outlined their options:

1. "Didymus, you could take the mantle of a Rogue Trader, with the rest of you posing as his entourage. This will grant us some semblance of freedom, and access to Veraine's inner circle. But beware of overstepping your role, Didymus. Your arrogance could be your undoing."

2. "Or," she continued, her eyes sweeping over the assembled convicts, "you could masquerade as tech-priest maintenance squad. Scintilla's ancient tech is too much for their primitive society to handle, and they'd welcome any aid. But be warned, Veraine will be watching your every move."

3. "Lastly," she paused for dramatic effect, "you can participate in Veraine's Grand Tourney. His coliseum is a playground for his elite, and could be our way in. This path, however, is fraught with danger."

Didymus scoffed, his mechanical eyes flashing with indignation. "And risk revealing myself in some lowly combat spectacle? No, the Rogue Trader option suits me best."

Afet Demir, shook her head vehemently, her fingers absently caressing a string of prayer beads, each representing a different saint of the Adepta Sororitas. "The coliseum is an unnecessary risk. I say we disguise ourselves as tech-priests, keep our heads down, and strike when the time is right."

Brukk, the Ogryn, balled his massive fists, his child-like face split into a wide, eager grin. "Brukk like fight. Brukk go coliseum. Have fun!" he announced

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
While the maintenance squad would be the best option, the presence of the Ogryn on such a group would be hard to explain. As such, the Rogue Trader retinue works best for our team

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
2. tech-priest maintenance squad. We're a combat Tech squad who was rerouted to help the world, Brukk is explained as protection (and percussive maintenance). That'll explain away most of our peculiarities.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I think Rogue Trader's access and cover for our eclectic group makes it the best choice.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
The only one of these that gets us into a direct confrontation (for Stravos) would be the tech priest work. After his recent set of rolls, I'm going to say Rogue Trader to give this poor guy a break.

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

colliseum. WE FIGHT. WE LIVE. WE DIE. WE LIVE AGAIN!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Rogue Trader. We've an eclectic mix, and I'm sure Didymus' arrogance won't cause any problems.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
The Calm Before the Storm

Sister Marielle's icy gaze swept across the team. "May the Emperor guide your actions and harden your resolve. Fail, and you shall be roasting in the pits with the daemons. Succeed and perhaps the emperor still us use for you yet. Dismissed."

The team was then ushered into the quartermaster's area - a dimly lit room filled with rows upon rows of every conceivable tool of war and subterfuge. Sgt. Jorak, a weathered veteran of countless campaigns, was ready to assist them.

Didymus was handed a lavish Rogue Trader outfit, complete with an intricate chain of office which he paws at shamelessly, while Brukk, struggling with his size, had to settle for an oversized bodyguard armor that made him look like a walking fortress from a past era.

Afet, was given the guise of a missionary of the Ecclesiarchy, her attire simple but carrying the sacred symbols of the Imperium. “The Emperor does have grace for us. He has had mercy on us…” she mumbles under her breath.

Croak, already a servitor apart from his mind is treated to a bit of a touch up to disguise the damage he had undergone at the rough treatment of his fellow inmates while Stavros is once again allowed the red mantle of a tech-priest. His childhood dream now a sham to deceive heretics.

As they gathered their gear, a brief lull presented itself. A pocket of time before their departure to Scintilla. Time they could use to know each other better, refine their disguises, pray for the Emperor's guidance, or delve into the culture and history of Scintilla.

Choose:

1. Spend time with Didymus, attempting to understand his motivations and perhaps mitigate his vanity.
2. Engage with Afet Demir. And try to understand her better.
3. Try to communicate more effectively with Brukk, the Ogryn. His strength could be invaluable, but his simple mind could also prove a liability.
4. Work with Croak to fine-tune your disguises, perhaps make some modification and practice your roles more convincingly.
5. Spend time in prayer and contemplation, seeking the Emperor's guidance.
6. Research the planet Scintilla, trying to gain useful knowledge about its culture, geography, or potential risks.

Each choice would give the players more context and options in the coming mission, and help to develop the characters and their relationships.

——

That’s it for the weekend. Let me know if you have any specific goals for any of the options.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
1. He's the lynchpin here and his behaviour is already a massive red flag.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
3 we want to make sure the big guy chooses to stand in front of us if shooting breaks out.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Outrail posted:

1. He's the lynchpin here and his behaviour is already a massive red flag.

Yeah, we need to support this dude or he's going to get us turboboned by the cultists.

This.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

1. If Didymus doesn't come through we're all boned, get his ego in check and make sure he stays on task.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
1. Hone the lynchpin.

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

4. there's nothin better than quality time with ol' Croak.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
drat, the curse hits hard. Three pages ain't bad

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I'm not done yet! Sorry, I've been bad this week. I'll try and have an update today but truth is I won't be able to update again until the end of next week!

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
The Calm Before the Storm Part 2

Brukk the cheerful Ogryn, is struggling with attaching a specialized bodyguard shoulder pauldron. His massive physique blocks him from placing it properly or strapping it. But Croak notices his trouble and with his more precise mechanical arms, whirring and clicking, fastens the pauldron with surgical precision. Their interaction is a dance of finesse and raw strength, a moment of harmony between two unlikely allies.

Didymus is nearby, standing before a full-length mirror, his eyes fixated on his reflection. His rogue trader outfit fits perfectly, but that doesn't stop him from picking at the fabric, adjusting the ornate jewelry, and ensuring that every fold and crease is exactly to his liking. The vain joy in his eyes sparkles, his cybernetic implants drinking in every detail with unnatural clarity. He seems lost in his own world, a man starved for the grandeur and pageantry of his former life.

Afet Demir watches Didymus, in contrast she dons the missionary garb of the Excruciator Martyrs. The fabric looks threadbare and uncomfortable, clinging awkwardly and roughly against the skin displaying the scars which criss cross her face and body. The stark difference between her rags and the rest of the team's gear causes Stavros to wonder if Sister Marielle has a personal grudge against Afet to subject her to this much embarrasment and suffering.

Didymus turns to Afet and crows, "Look at me, Sister! I am born anew, a vision of splendor and majesty that will surely conquer everyone's hearts!"

Afet's response is sharp, her voice laced with scorn: "Splendor? Majesty? You prance about like a damnable gilded fop, all shiny and useless. You'd do well to remember that all that glitter ain't worth grox crap when this sitch goes to hell."

Didymus's face tightens, his eyes narrowing as he takes in Afet's words. After a moment's pause, he retorts, "Your words are as harsh as your appearance, Sister. But I'll have you know that true strength, true power lies in what you dismiss as shiny and useless." His tone is a blend of defiance and arrogance, but in his eyes something about what she said has cut him.

Before Afet can carve into him again, Stavros approaches and addresses Didymus, "It's quite the transformation you've undergone, are you ready to face down Chaos in formal wear?"

Stavros's focus shifts to Stavros, his voice dripping with self-assurance, "My dear Stavros, my formal dress is my strength, my weapon, my shield. This is not a mere façade; it's a resurrection of who I once was!" He then pauses, looking Stavros up and down with a critical eye before adding, "And don't you wish you could pull off something like this?"

Didymus turns back to the mirror, pulling out a small, ornate comb, and begins to meticulously groom his mustache with an overly dramatic flourish, each stroke executed with the gravity and precision of a master artist at work. Finally, he glances back at Stavros over his shoulder, saying, "Sadly, not everyone has the grace and taste to wear such splendor." His voice is laced with condescension, and his eyes gleam with arrogance.

1. "Remember, it's our deeds, not our appearance, that will define us in this mission."
2. "I must admit, you do wear that outfit with remarkable panache. There's something to be said for making a grand impression."
3. "You speak of this attire as a resurrection. What was life like for you before all this, Didymus? There's more to you than meets the eye."
4. "Careful with that mustache, Didymus! You wouldn't want to pull a muscle before the mission. We'll need every bit of your 'splendor' intact!"
5. Write-in

---

Next update will probably be next Thursday.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
3 The way to proper manipulation is through information.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

AJ_Impy posted:

Agreed

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

AJ_Impy posted:

+1

As soon as this is over can we toss this tool out the nearest airlock?

Not A Team Player.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
This guy might be a big ol poo poo head.

3. figure him out

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
3. Let's see what we can spy with our little eye.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Sorry, was hoping to update today but I've had a family emergency that means I'll be unable to update for a week. Will hopefull update the week after next.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hope everything turns out okay! Take care of your business, we'll still be here.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

McSpanky posted:

Hope everything turns out okay! Take care of your business, we'll still be here.

Thanks for your words of support. It means a lot.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Hello everyone, thank you for your patience. Hopefully I'll be able to try and keep this game rolling for now!

quote:

Didymus turns back to the mirror, pulling out a small, ornate comb, and begins to meticulously groom his mustache with an overly dramatic flourish, each stroke executed with the gravity and precision of a master artist at work. Finally, he glances back at Stavros over his shoulder, saying, "Sadly, not everyone has the grace and taste to wear such splendor." His voice is laced with condescension, and his eyes gleam with arrogance.

3. Stavros: "You speak of this attire as a resurrection. What was life like for you before all this, Didymus? There's more to you than meets the eye."

"Oh, Stavros, my past is an epic odyssey through towering peaks and treacherous valleys. House Krimm was renowned, not just for wealth but for aesthetic, for culture, for taste — things that separate mere existence from living."

From the first mention of epic, Afet rolls her eyes but Didymus pointedly ignores her and gestures around at his lavish garb with a feigned casual air, performing only for Stavros:

"My name, a sonorous melody that once danced upon the lips of aesthetes and aristocrats alike, echoed with resounding vigor across the sprawling tapestry of numerous systems. It was not merely whispered in the hallowed halls where the drudgery of power and politics played their ceaseless games, but celebrated in the resplendent theaters of Thessalia, admired in the opulent galleries of Versia, and revered within the aromatic confines of the tea houses in distant Chrysanthos. I, Didymus Krimm, became synonymous with a transcendent kind of affluence that was artfully divorced from the mundane machinations of governmental squabbles and mercantile endeavors. As a patron of the arts, my influence danced gracefully across the cosmos, fostering the blooms of creativity within desolate realms of possibility, rendering the sterile fertile with the lush bounty of imaginative prowess. A savant of style, I sculpted the aesthetic epochs that cascaded through time, with fashion houses and artisan guilds bending like reeds in the river to the whims of my endorsed tastes. And as a purveyor of the exquisite, every rare gemstone, every stroke of a masterful brush, and every note of a symphonic masterpiece seemed to find its muse within the confines of my expansive, discerning gaze. It was a life of grandeur, a spectacle where each day unfurled as a petal revealing endless, intoxicating beauty, yet always, cruelly, just beyond true, fulfilling grasp..."

Stavros does his best not to let his eyes glaze over as Didymus grows closer and closer to losing himself in the nostalgia of his former glory. Seeing him take a deep breath and about to launch off into another ode Stavros knows that if he doesn't interject, Didymus might well spiral into a self-indulgent reverie that could last the entire mission.

"Bravo! Epic indeed, Didymus! Quite the lush life it sounds like. But all tales have their turning points, their... pivots into the unknown, wouldn't you say?"

"Recursive pivots up their own arse, I say." Afet mumbles just loud enough for Stavros to hear.

Didymus is thrown off his rhythm by your interruption, but you tell the truth, no epic is complete without some mighty challenge or injustice. As he looks for what to say next you prompt him:

• 1. The Gambler’s Ruin:
    Stavros: "Was it a gamble, Didymus? A pursuit of more, a boundless ecstasy that ultimately plummeted into abyssal despair?"
  • 2. A Stab from the Shadows:
    Stavros: "Or perhaps it was betrayal, a dagger veiled in silken promises, that tore through the lustrous tapestry of your life?"
  • 3. Illicit Love's Despair:
    Stavros: "Maybe a love, shadowed and secret, that led you through halls of bliss into chambers of torment?"
  • 4. The Scandal that Silenced the Echo:
    Stavros: "Or was it a whisper, a malignant secret that wove its way through the echelons, turning adoration into contempt?"
  • 5. Write-in

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
5. Family turned to Chaos

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Any particular flavor?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Apocron posted:

Any particular flavor?

Same 5

Slaanesh would be the obvious one, so let's say Nurgle.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
1. gambling. cheating and lying.

This might serve as a good segue into not loving us over or to get too clever.

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 3, 2023

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Apocron posted:

Any particular flavor?

Malal (Because his family was Trump level stupid)

Actually Nurgle is good. The truth is he didn't join them simply because he's too vain to let his good looks get hosed up by papa's diseases, which ended up getting him sent here instead of the usual cleansing.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cannon_Fodder posted:

1. gambling. cheating and lying.

This might serve as a good segue into not loving us over or to get too clever.

Good call