Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I don't like John - he's very good at what he does, it's not about the power level, but he's just too one note. Trivializes some things, but also really relies on others to control the guards.

Now Toya, Toya is ace. His teleport move is a little like Blink or Kanol in that it's on you how big brain you get and as a character he's very well-rounded: quick kill animation combined with a guard pulling skill already make him a menace able to solo great hunks of the map. He honestly doesn't really need much in terms of combo pieces, he's an independent operator who fits in everywhere. But if you're a Gaelle enjoyer, he likes the Kanol getting him into places where he can do his setups and teleport back with ease. Firecrackers and Flute are a little redundant, but getting to stack them ain't all that bad. Suleidy is also a nice partner, wanderdust allowing for more precise setups with flute and the bush both helping him get into places and allowing a cute trick described below. Quentin provides the visual/audio lure combo and the rod can allow for the dives to become a bit more yolo - this is primarily about instant body hide, but also works as a poverty version of the teleport upgrade (or some 9000 iq three-way reposition schemes, I suppose). Night missions are advantageous to him, due crouch-sneaking opportunities.

He takes a little pre-planning to use effectively - as opposed to, say, Afia, who can bullshit her way out of tricky spots - but if you can ensure he's able to get into a place, in a way he becomes the most remote of crewmates (even Teresa has to worry about lines of sight or range sometimes). Now, some fun uses you can get out of the teleport:
- Treat it as a fake ranged kill (like Blink) you can pop with perfect temporal precision. You can mark a dude from the bushes or his expected patrol route or while he's standing in the crouch-allowed section of someone's vision cone.
- Combo the teleport kill with your guardpull ability of choice for Quality of Life, as you can clearly ensure it hits on the right pixel where a moving viewcone won't reach.
- Setup guard pull and teleport kill inside of a bush while hiding somewhere else. You won't get compromised for them getting foliagevision upon entering said bush and once you get in for the kill, you'll have the body dissapear immediately after the 3 second animation finishes.
- Tag a patrolling guy where you can reach him, but others can see him, then go for the kill when he reaches a secluded place on the other side of seventeen vision cones.
- Semi-QoL, but I like leaving the mark on the bottom of a ladder or behind a corner that I'm luring the guard to ensure instant kill with no "he just happened to spot you on the last 5 pixels of running up with the sword and raise the alarm anyway" bullshit.
- Go on dives through one-way paths (jumping down, getting Kanoled) and don't have to worry about how you're getting back.
- Attract guards in a given direction (through either flute of viewcone diving), then teleport back and go the other way. The flute being tied to his body might seem like a disadvantage at first, but if you play your cards right it's more like if Gaelle's firecrackers had infinite range.
- Sneak to a guy, kill them, then immediately teleport to another for a sequence of two essentially-simultaneous kills. Bonus points for exposed environmental kills or gun use, since they let you act pretty quick upon commiting the violence.
- If you're okay with raising alarms by leaving bodies behind, quick kill + teleport back can make for some really obscene dives. Or really ramp up the distraction in a given direction.
- The upgrade is amazing and basically lets you do 2-3 of these tricks at the same time. Also a rude anti-patrol technique where you go somewhere, attract the guards, teleport away from a place where there's no-one to hide, then teleport back for a multikill with John/Teresa/Gaelle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
Playing with Toya (and/or John) becomes more fun if you don't care about alarms, or even better: when you start triggering alarms on purpose. Luring enemies into bodies and teleporting away can be really effective for example.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Toya is good because the whistle is always good in these games. Easy kills and it's one of the few distractions that can take multiple people out of the picture for a long period of time. He can clear out groups by himself, sometimes. I also just like when characters have all the athletic perks: swim, climb, fast carry.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
So if I were to play just one of these, is Desperados still considered the cream?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

So if I were to play just one of these, is Desperados still considered the cream?

I think so, it's the best take on the classic genre format so far.

Shadow Gambit is really close imo, and its experimentation was largely successful, but the two things that take it down a notch for me (aside from heaps of Desperados 1 nostalgia) are:
- not fully being onboard with the vibes. I mean, one doesn't play Mimimi games for the writing, but it's all a little Dota Champions vs Baddies from Every Anno Game Ever.
- as it was always the case historically, making the genre more open-ended (Robin Hood: Legend of Sherwood, etc.) always comes with a dip in difficulty so that one doesn't softlock themselves with dumb team compositions.

If you're a fan of the genre that never got around to trying Mimimi offerings, I'd say Desperados III is peak, if you're relatively new to it then tbh Shadow Gambit might make for a better entry point.

Of all the New Stuff the part I liked the most is the fantasy stuff giving Mimimi some ideas to increase the variety of opponent types past a more linear tier system of resistances. I'm really looking forward to where they take the lessons they've learned developing this one.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
On the one hand, I think each game improves on the previous in some substantial ways.

On the other hand, perhaps that's a good reason to play the games in order of release (I never played aiko's choice). All three of them are incredible good games and worth checking out.

Shadow tactics has the best story, desperados has the best level design and "heh, let's just start killing" moments, and shadow gambit has the best replayability and the most fun abilities. If you can only play one and they're all equally expensive then I'd still recommend shadow gambit, but in practice you can get shadow tactics and desperados for much cheaper in a sale.

(Shadow gambit is indeed easier, but the difficulty options do help a little bit here.)

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
There is a chance you just own Shadow Tactics if you've kept up with Epic free game claiming.

If not, maybe just pick whether you like ninjas, cowboys, or pirates the best.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
despite the aesthetics, they are all ninjas.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
One cool thing I realized about Afia’s stopwatch is you can use it to prevent guards from hearing sound. So freeze one guy and blink kill the guy on the platform just above him.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Pinkus isn't a ninja.

He's an infection.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Big Bad Pinkanosus

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Aug 29, 2023

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ultrachrist posted:

One cool thing I realized about Afia’s stopwatch is you can use it to prevent guards from hearing sound. So freeze one guy and blink kill the guy on the platform just above him.

if you go do her optional tutorial stage, that's one of the messages.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.mimimi.games/our-final-game/
sad day

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

sad but understandable

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

I'm glad that at least they're getting to close because they've had their fill and not because they were left with a pile of debts.

Also, man, we're probably not seeing another stealth strategy game in the next decade of our lives.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the only other one that came out during minimi's tenure was partisans 1941. and really, that game did not hold up in comparison.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hwurmp posted:

The other one I'm thinking of is for completing a mission on Calamity Reef with John Mercury, alone. There is only one mission where soloing with John is even an option: Small Crew, Big Plans, which requires you to take a shrunken ship off a table where a Prognosticar is studying it. I can't get him away from that table with any amount of bodies or alarms.

I still don't know if there's any way to solo a Prognosticar but I managed to figure this one out

nothing too complex, just had to kill all but two other guards in the area, then let them spot me so the Prog would respond to the alarm and leave his table

I'd been trying for a no-attacks badge at the same time, which is definitely impossible for John and Sir Reginald on their own

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Aug 30, 2023

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

if you drop a lantern-carrying guard with a ranged attack and Quentin eats them with Treasure Rod, you'll extinguish the light without failing a Firekeeper badge

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
I've been avoiding testing to see if this still works with Shadow Gambit since it's cheesy, but dropping corpses in the eye line of guards (even ones that are immune to distractions) was the most broken strategy in Desperados 3. It was guaranteed to pull all guard types out of their post/patrol for an easy ambush kill since they would walk up to the body before raising the alarm.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it doesn't work on Iudex, who won't ever leave their sniper positions, and Prognosticars can sound the alarm right away

otherwise it is every bit as powerful and you even have a crewmate who specializes in ranged corpse delivery

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Hank Morgan posted:

I've been avoiding testing to see if this still works with Shadow Gambit since it's cheesy, but dropping corpses in the eye line of guards (even ones that are immune to distractions) was the most broken strategy in Desperados 3. It was guaranteed to pull all guard types out of their post/patrol for an easy ambush kill since they would walk up to the body before raising the alarm.

That strategy is both better and worse now.

Better, because an alarm doesn't automatically summon more enemies.
Worse, because there are no AOE abilities enemies grouping together makes them more difficult to kill instead of easier. In fact, no character that can kill more than one person at a time and in general going on a killing spree against alarmed enemies is much more difficult.

So the tactic of using corpses is better for hit-and-runs now, but worse for full shootouts.

Bemused Observer
Sep 21, 2019

On the other hand if you aren't averse to alarms, and you can put Quentin in a nearby but unaccessible location (like on the other side of a long wall or up a cliff/roof with no nearby access), then you can combine Teresa and Quentin to reliably kill huge teams in relative safety: snipe one enemy, alarm gets raised, lots of enemies gather, Quentin reels in the killed enemy with the bullet, and the you can just keep repeating the shoot-retrieve loop

Bemused Observer fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Sep 2, 2023

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
True, there are some exceptions. But the "loud" gameplay does feel different compared to Desperados 3 in my opinion.

In desperados 3, if you trigger an alarm by accident and 10+ enemies come to investigate, you can easily consider fighting back. Line up a shotgun blast to kill a bunch, John and Issabelle can easily kill 2 enemies each, and Doc can throw a grenade at another group (and you still have Bianca/Kate). It's often doable to kill a lot of enemies within 2 seconds. It feels extremely hectic and risky. When triggering an alarm I'll often check out what happens if I start shooting everybody for fun instead of reloading immediately.

In shadow gambit, if you trigger an alarm by accident and 10+ enemies come to investigate, you pretty will much have to hide and see if you can kill of some stragglers one at a time. It's more guerrilla tactics.

Of course the comparison is difficult because shadow gambit has less enemies in one area in the first place (even on harder difficulty).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it has to have fewer enemies because there are no abilities that kill multiple targets. in desperadoes, you could easily take out far greater quantities of enemies at once. that's what the final encounter required, even.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I hit 85% and unlocked the secret character. Completion percentage is different from percentage of badges collected as I don't even think I had 60% of the latter. This is good because the game was starting to wear a bit thin. One of its biggest strengths--choosing your crew--is also a weakness. The game starts to feel samey after a while. I loved it though. At the end of the day, I'd probably give a very slight edge to Desperadoes 3 as their best game.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Resurrecting this dead thread like an undead pirate because there's some pretty substantial looking DLC out, 2 pieces at £11.99 each, they each have a character, a new map and 6 missions and once you finish the initial recruitment mission for them they can apparently be used in the most of the missions in the main game as well. One of them is Yuki from the Shadow Tactics games, the other seems to be a dude who uses the powers the inquisition priests used in the main game.

There's an update to the game as well that adds some some sort of treasure hunt mode that's supposed to be more of a challenge mode for when you've finished the game. If the DLC is as good as the base game then it'll probably be worth the price and be a good sendoff for the devs, a shame they'll not get to continue making these kinds of games.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kuma has a pirate hat

goty

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
huh. they don't explicitly say it, but this sg-1 game sure looks like commandos-ish real time stealth.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The DLCs are fun, but probably not quite worth $15 apiece unless Shadow Gambit is your favorite game ever.

Yuki has upgraded her trap with a trip-wire that reaches out a short distance from her own position. Since Toya has filched her bird's voice, she uses Kuma the tanuki for distractions instead. Kuma can be sent out a medium distance and remains there until repositioned or recalled, just like in Shadow Tactics. To actually distract anyone Yuki has to use Tanuki Parade, a dart like Suleidy's Wander Dust that makes an Acolyte or Kindred move towards Kuma's position for a few seconds. Tanuki Parade has a small AoE and can affect multiple guards if they're talking or patrolling together, as long as none of them is a Prognosticar or Commissarius. If Kuma isn't deployed, the guard or guards will instead follow Yuki until they're alerted or taken out. Whenever Yuki kills a guard with her melee or tripwire--but not with a gunshot or drop-kill--the body will automatically be removed by turning into a log. It's also very easy for Yuki to kill a pair of guards by luring one across the tripwire and then immediately meleeing the other.

Zagan the Apostate joined the Inquisition to further his dream of being an evil wizard. His Dark Excision ability is a mid-ranged attack that doesn't require line of sight, but takes five seconds to work and deals 1 damage to Zagan. If he uses Dark Excision on a Prognosticar, they won't get the jump on him--instead the two will clash indefinitely until you can send someone else to finish the Prog off. His melee attack, Catatonic Grip, takes almost eight drat seconds, but fully heals him. The victim is overcome with flame visions just like a Custodes death nova, and other guards won't go on alert if they come across them. Zagan's third ability, Hedron of Constriction, is a time freeze like Afia's except he can sustain it indefinitely against Acolytes and Kindred. It will also automatically freeze a guard who spots Zagan if it's not on cooldown.

Each DLC has a campaign of six missions that alternate between existing islands, and one new island. Yuki's campaign goes to Dragon's Dream, a lovely little archipelago sporting cherry trees, sand gardens, rice paddies, and oriental palaces. Zagan's Lair is a shattered gothic mansion with a decent amount of verticality, a bit like the slums of Angler's Grave.

I'm playing on a finished save so I have no idea if either DLC affects the main campaign at all. Neither character gets a vigor upgrade. They're not added to the Trickster's Tarot either.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 10, 2023

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

report: Yuki turns into Mugen for a couple frames of her melee kill

she also really really loves Gaëlle's kanol

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
They're each $15? Def steep.

Zagan sounds cool.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it looks cool but i'm gonna wait for a sale.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

most of the postgame treasure hunts have picture clues that give a pretty good idea of their general location, but then there's one on Dread Vine's Cove that just shows a loving skeleton sitting with a bottle

I have never seen this skeleton and cannot find it for the life of me

and no, it's not the X on the map, that's for a different treasure

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's on a ledge above the Coastal Huts start area

also you can just bring up the objectives list mid-mission and double-click on any objective to zoom in on its general area

I am very smrt

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
Not sure I like the implication that Yuki and Kuma from Shadow Tactics suffered some horrible death at a young age and are now forever cursed to roam the seas endlessly in a bizarre ghost world with half chewed off limbs.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's a living

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Shadow Gambit now has modding tools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-SqMI4jDvQ