Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Saw this in Denver (Pavillions). I'd say the theater was about 50% full. Was a lot of fun, I was on the fence about going but thankfully one of my coworkers (also an MST3K nerd) had already committed so I tagged along.

There were definitely some neckbeardy-lookin types but there wasn't any obvious "woos" during any of the Lowtax stuff or during any mention of SA

That Bob Executive line killed me too. Bill's delivery was just too perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

The Antipop posted:

Also, there was a big guy in front of us that really, really loved the singer. He sang along with both songs and I thought he was going to get out of his seat and dance.

That reminds me, and I feel really awful about bringing this kind of hate into the thread; did anyone laugh at the chick who was singing along to Coulton's songs like he was Eric Clapton performing "Wonderful Tonight" and "Change the World"? Of course I sympathize, but goddamn I just couldn't help but chuckle every time she came up.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 21, 2009

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

DarkPrime posted:

The running gag with the detective's gun constantly misfiring was my favorite part. "pchew" "ptang" "pew"
Hmmm... they did that gag in the three riffer version on the site. Also the Tor singing and Bela Lugosi/The Count stuff too...

Tripalium
Mar 20, 2009

coin coin connard
The riffing was top-notch and the short was hilarious too. I really didn't care for Jonathan Coulton's whole LOL GEEKS ZOMBIES :regd08: routine though, but that's barely worth mentioning compared to how great the main course was.

I hope we'll get more of these events in the future!

Mooch and Earl
May 20, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump
The scene in the pentagon was pretty good too.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
In Savannah, the theater's projector was hosed up for about 30 minutes. The manager apologized profusely and gave everyone two free tickets.

Luckily for me, I was entertained during the down time by Sean and Tim and their annoying loving girlfriends. I could handle the kicking the back of my seat, but the faux British accents made me want to rip their loving throats out.

All in all, I had a good time. That was $12.50 well spent.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all
I just watched the downloadable version of the short. It's slightly different, but still funny. Seeing it live in a theater made it way funnier, though. I hope they keep doing this, they must have made a boatload of money off it.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Plavski posted:

Hmmm... they did that gag in the three riffer version on the site. Also the Tor singing and Bela Lugosi/The Count stuff too...

MST3K did it a lot as well for other movies, same with the zooming noises for the UFOs and such. A lot of this stuff never gets old.

Angora
Feb 16, 2009

by Ozmaugh

DivisionPost posted:

That reminds me, and I feel really awful about bringing this kind of hate into the thread; did anyone laugh at the chick who was singing along to Coulton's songs like he was Eric Clapton performing "Wonderful Tonight" and "Change the World"? Of course I sympathize, but goddamn I just couldn't help but chuckle every time she came up.

our entire theater died laughing

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Pittsburgh showing reporting in. It was a hell of a lot of fun. We had a few skips early on in the first segment, but everything was solid after that even though we had a raging thunderstorm outside. You could hear the rain hitting the roof in the theater.

We had a character that must have thought he was Mike Nelson Jr. in the theater cracking wise before the show ever started, thankfully he was quiet throughout the movie. He did leave during Johnathan Coulton, right after he clapped when he said he was doing only one more song. So, I guess I would like to say, gently caress that guy.

Otherwise, the audience was great, the show was sold out, and I hope they do it again soon.

Stuntcock
Oct 15, 2000

Annoyed, but NOT DEAD

Alexandr posted:

Bunny Breckinridge, the hyper-homo alien commander who supposedly got himself a sex change later.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunny_Breckinridge :monocle: What a read!

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

DivisionPost posted:

Yeah, in my theater (Savoy) everyone laughed as hard as those people as any of the jokes. I feel really bad, they probably didn't even know everyone was laughing at them. It was still really funny, though.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Mr. Saturday posted:

Speaking of Coulton, who else joined the zombie horde and sang along?

It sounded like our whole theater did. Everyone seemed to be really digging the whole show. It was a really broad spectrum of moviegoers too. Quite a few looked to be over 65, and right on down to the teens.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Plavski posted:

Yeah but those are the obvious jokes. I can't think of anything else that would have been as funny in those situations. There were definitely a few recycled jokes, though they seemed to tighten up their delivery. There was also more than enough new material to make it well worth while. This is the best of the Plan 9 riffs that I've seen to date. That being said, I can't see the need to do another.

I'd love to see them go back and rehash old MST3k classics like Horror of Party Beach or another Ed Wood stinkburger The Sinister Urge. If they could get the rights to re-riff Mitchell I'd pay $200 to go see it.

BatsBjorg
Nov 5, 2008

Helluva girl! Shame about that business during the war though ... Now where's my whisky?

DivisionPost posted:

One of my non-goon friends I went with immediately leaned in and asked "But where are their BOYFRIENDS?" And then I lost it every time they came on.

Probably about a 2/3 full theatre in little ol' Ashland, Ky. Crowd had really good response and seemed really into it, and it was definitely the most fun that I've had at a movie in a long while. Definitely funnier than anything else I've seen in ages -- I'm not typically the clutching the stomach laughing type. :D

Good times were had by all. I know my husband and I would definitely go again.

Only a few technical hiccups -- during the short and then at the end of Jonathan Coulton, but that was it. Main feature went off fine.

Stalgren
Mar 22, 2006

Charizard Go!
I have never seen so many neckbeards in one place before. I guess it goes to show that stereotypes exist for a reason

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin

Mooch and Earl posted:

The scene in the pentagon was pretty good too.

"Pfft. Can you believe this dick?"

El Ganto
Oct 3, 2004
The plastic gun at my side.
I was glad to see frags up there, if only for a few brief moments.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

PoisonedV posted:

Yeah, in my theater (Savoy) everyone laughed as hard as those people as any of the jokes. I feel really bad, they probably didn't even know everyone was laughing at them. It was still really funny, though.

I think I was the only guy in the Westbury theater who laughed, which made me feel like even more of a poo poo. :(

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 21, 2009

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Saturday posted:

Speaking of Coulton, who else joined the zombie horde and sang along?
I'm pretty sure 90% of the theater where we were in Albuquerque did. I did. :colbert:

knucklehead
Apr 29, 2004

concentrated and crosseyed a dangerous combination
Tampa, FL reporting in, about 3/4 of the house full. I think it was the busiest theater on a slow Thursday for sure. The crowd was really into it, just a small contingent of neck beards, actual cute girls, loving fun time!

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all
Also, if anyone's wondering what the freebies are:

* The short, "Flying Stewardesses" (in High quality and portable formats)
* The song, "Plans 1-9" by The Rifftones
* An autographed digital postcard (in high-res JPG and PDF formats)!
* And a set of Plan 9-themed avatars by Len Peralta (@jawboneradio)!

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Finally got home from the showing in Birmingham, AL (well, Trussville, which is the middle of goddamned nowhere). The theater was at least 75% full, which surprised the heck out of me. The crowd was really into it, and I didn't see too many fat neckbeards -- everyone looked like pretty normal (if a bit nerdy) college age to mid-30's folks.

Only experienced a few brief glitches in the video, probably due to the giant gently caress-off storm that was right overhead for most of the movie.

I hope Mike and the Bots guys do this again. We had a blast and laughed our asses off.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Stuntcock posted:

Just got back. New Orleans (Elmwood.)

I must say, in goondom's defense, the one obvious goon there was a cute redhead behind me; by obvious, I meant her whispering to her friend when Lowtax was on about SA. :)

You must have missed me in my Moofwear shirt :shobon:

All in all, the event was fantastic, except for (as mentioned) the guy with the lighter (who was sitting RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME). It was my first time seeing Plan 9 and I thought the riffers did a great job of tearing the movie to pieces. A bunch of the lines were loving hilarious and I'm still chuckling to myself thinking about some of them.

The short was pretty great, too, but I thought the musical section was pretty weak and overall the stuff before Plan 9 actually started seemed to go on for longer than it should have.

But besides the drunk middle aged man sitting directly in front of me who kept yelling stuff out during the movie (after Coulton's zombie song, this dude would NOT shut the gently caress up and kept saying "braaains" throughout the entire rest of the feature) and the intro stuff being a bit overlong, it was a really fun experience and I'd definitely go see another if they ever decide to do this again in the future.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Malachi Constant posted:

Also, if anyone's wondering what the freebies are:

* The short, "Flying Stewardesses" (in High quality and portable formats)
* The song, "Plans 1-9" by The Rifftones
* An autographed digital postcard (in high-res JPG and PDF formats)!
* And a set of Plan 9-themed avatars by Len Peralta (@jawboneradio)!

What was the url again for the free stuff? I went to rifftrax.com/nashville which I thought it was, but I appear to be wrong.

Passingly Gawpish
Jul 14, 2007
On the order of 20nm, sir.
Great time, and a great 1st date for me (yay for me.)! The grain expo commercial was holy-poo poo hilarious and I really, really hope it'll be posted on the front page. Who were the goons in the shorts? i recognized Fragmaster, Lotax, and Garbage Day. Probably my favorite line form the riff was "Telly Sevalas has been hard to understand since he swallowed Orson Welles." That and I really liked the

oh hold on berrywatch is calling gotta go

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
Just got home from it, and I was rather surprised. I really didn't think there would be that many people there.

Unknowable Hole
Feb 2, 2005

Pillbug

BloodDesk UnderHell posted:

Best gag was the Snakes on a Plane reference during the short. Although I laughed even harder just at the way the detective pointed his gun at everything.

I was at a theater in Columbia, Maryland and we only got one short hiccup. The crowd was a pretty good size. One woman in the middle of the theater seemed to enjoy it more than everyone.

Yeah I was there, she was being such a goon. It was funny though, I was just glad our showing seemed to really enjoy it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I wonder how many people are going to come to the front page from the show. Because people in my theater were cracking the gently caress up for the Lowtax shorts.

Magman
Jul 23, 2004
Toppling the mighty and denting the hard.
Was it just my theater (Boston) or did everyone start cracking up at the girl singing along to Coulton and bobbing her head? After that pretty much any shot of a girl singing along made us laugh. I still cannot explain why it was so funny.

Carl Von Awesomwitz
May 2, 2006

Sisko Lied, Romulans Died
My theater(Golden, CO) was about 1/3 full with a shitton of older people. Honestly, it was a little weird to see old people cracking up about grain expo 2009 and Berrywatch.

Mooch and Earl
May 20, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

Passingly Gawpish posted:

Great time, and a great 1st date for me (yay for me.)! The grain expo commercial was holy-poo poo hilarious and I really, really hope it'll be posted on the front page. Who were the goons in the shorts? i recognized Fragmaster, Lotax, and Garbage Day. Probably my favorite line form the riff was "Telly Sevalas has been hard to understand since he swallowed Orson Welles." That and I really liked the

oh hold on berrywatch is calling gotta go

"We'll call you to confirm that your berries are safe. Then we'll call back again in 2 minutes"

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Overwined posted:

What was the url again for the free stuff? I went to rifftrax.com/nashville which I thought it was, but I appear to be wrong.

Don't post it here. Use the pm system. I'd do it, but I don't have platinum.

Not that it really matters, the site is being hit hard right now by the masses of neckbeards going there.

Also reporting in from Tinseltown in North Canton, OH. Not much to post that hasn't been said already, really. It was great and I'd love to see it again, the audience seemed pretty decently mixed, only a few minor glitches, etc.

Selim Sivad
Sep 2, 2008

by Ralp
"I thought Howard the Duck was the Caddyshack II of bad movies."
loving awesome show. Could have done w/o the sing along though. They should have just played another short or something that's, you know, funny.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Not that it really matters, the site is being hit hard right now by the masses of neckbeards going there.

Also reporting in from Tinseltown in North Canton, OH. Not much to post that hasn't been said already, really. It was great and I'd love to see it again, the audience seemed pretty decently mixed, only a few minor glitches, etc.

Well it still needs a password, which I do in fact remember. How could I forget?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Those shorts were really fantastic. You can usually only laugh so hard at goofy things like that, and those were just cracking me the gently caress up.

Step 3 AALKJAHFKLJHASFUIHEWRN EWQNEFBU FEBFE IOBFEIUB FEWIBEFWIUB FBIVDILJBDAIBAALKJAHFKLJHASFUIHEWRN EWQNEFBU FEBFE IOBFEIUB FEWIBEFWIUB FBIVDILJBDAIBAALKJAHFKLJHASFUIHEWRN EWQNEFBU FEBFE IOBFEIUB FEWIBEFWIUB FBIVDILJBDAIBAALKJAHFKLJHASFUIHEWRN EWQNEFBU FEBFE IOBFEIUB FEWIBEFWIUB FBIVDILJBDAIBAALKJAHFKLJHASFUIHEWRN EWQNEFBU FEBFE IOBFEIUB FEWIBEFWIUB FBIVDILJBDAIBAALKJAHFKLJHASFUIHEWRN EWQNEFBU FEBFE IOBFEIUB FEWIBEFWIUB FBIVDILJBDAIBAALKJAHFKLJHASFUIHEWRN EWQNEFBU FEBFE IOBFEIUB FEWIBEFWIUB FBIVDILJBDAIBAALKJAHFKLJHASFUIHEWRN EWQNEFBU FEBFE IOBFEIUB FEWIBEFWIUB FBIVDILJBDAIBAALKJAHFKLJHASFUIHEWRN EWQNEFBU FEBFE IOBFEIUB FEWIBEFWIUB FBIVDILJBDAIBAALKJAHFKLJHASFUIHEWRN EWQNEFBU FEBFE IOBFEIUB FEWIBEFWIUB FBIVDILJBDAIBAALKJAHFKLJHASFUIHEWRN EWQNEFBU FEBFE IOBFEIUB FEWIBEFWIUB FBIVDILJBDAIBAALKJAHFKLJHASFUIHEWRN EWQNEFBU FEBFE IOBFEIUB FEWIBEFWIUB FBIVDILJBDAIBAALKJAHFKLJHASFUIHEWRN EWQNEFBU FEBFE IOBFEIUB FEWIBEFWIUB FBIVDILJBDAIBAALKJAHFKLJHASFUIHEWRN EWQNEFBU FEBFE IOBFEIUB FEWIBEFWIUB FBIVDILJBDAIB

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Considering the "code" for it was just a simple word I don't think they'll mind too much if people share it and anyway he was asking for the website not the code.

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.
Back from the Philly show. We didn't have sound until halfway through the short and for the rest of the show the sound was a bit behind the video. I kept wanting to pause the video for "perfect sync technology" but once the movie started it wasn't a huge problem. Lots of fun would see again.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Flying Stewardesses appears to be the one from the site and not the one that was done tonight. Not that I'm complaining, just making an observation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

One, two, three *Cover Nipples!*

The live rifftrax set the benchmark for all future riffs. I don't know if its just funnier with more people around, better in a theater or if the jokes were that excellent; my face and my nephew's are still sore from laughing. I counted about 31 people in my theater here in Miami.

• Locked thread