Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

petrol blue posted:

That sounds like it has lots of potential for fun. Social compels ahoy! Let us know how it goes?

e: Ran a one-shot tonight, and I really struggle to use compels - there's so much going on already that I keep thinking "oh, I'll compel that one in just a minute", and then the players jumped off somewhere else. Anyone got any tips for using compels better / more often? When I use them, they work fine, I just find it hard to mesh them into what's happening at the moment.

Get your players to ask for compels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
I'm lucky enough to have a group that naturally works with their characters' flaws anyway - tonight's 'obsolete hacker' character was happily pointing out the ways he couldn't interface with X, and I tried to reward self-compels, my problem is more that I tend to just roll with whatever they suggest and wherever the story leads, rather than hauling it there with compels.

The story (and session) work fine that way, but it drags the fate point economy to a standstill. Part of it is that I've got about a dozen PC aspects, another dozen npc aspects, and a couple of scene aspects in front of me, so it's hard to keep them all in mind enough to react when any are appropriate.

I'm tempted to cut down to, for example, three aspects per character, a concept, trouble, and one free. Mainly because I started fate with Diaspora, which had ten per PC (another five for their ship). The game improved vastly (for me and the players) when we halved that, maybe lowering it even more would help? Might give that a try for a one-shot, and see how it works.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
For those of you who are familiar with Zelazny's Amber novels and/or the old Amber Diceless RPG, what do you think of this adaptation? I stumbled across it while going through the Evil Hat Wiki.

Every now and then I get the urge to run an old-fashioned Throne War, but fun as ADRPG was back in the day, I'd rather not run that system (not without a ton of house rules, anyway). I have never run a Fate game before, though, and am not sure if there's anything glaring missing in the write-up I linked to above.

FrozenGoldfishGod
Oct 29, 2009

JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT POST!

petrol blue posted:

I'm lucky enough to have a group that naturally works with their characters' flaws anyway - tonight's 'obsolete hacker' character was happily pointing out the ways he couldn't interface with X, and I tried to reward self-compels, my problem is more that I tend to just roll with whatever they suggest and wherever the story leads, rather than hauling it there with compels.

The story (and session) work fine that way, but it drags the fate point economy to a standstill. Part of it is that I've got about a dozen PC aspects, another dozen npc aspects, and a couple of scene aspects in front of me, so it's hard to keep them all in mind enough to react when any are appropriate.

I'm tempted to cut down to, for example, three aspects per character, a concept, trouble, and one free. Mainly because I started fate with Diaspora, which had ten per PC (another five for their ship). The game improved vastly (for me and the players) when we halved that, maybe lowering it even more would help? Might give that a try for a one-shot, and see how it works.

Another possibility is that your players simply aren't thinking about compels; there are a couple of ways to handle that.

First, it does sound like you have a LOT of Aspects; I suggest cutting back a bit. I usually have the PC Aspects on a 'cheat sheet', a Campaign/Arc Aspect that describes the overall mood/tenor of the current arc, and maybe an Aspect or two for significant NPCs in the current story arc. Not every NPC needs Aspects; mooks and faceless NPCs don't usually need them, named NPCs (lieutenants of the Big Bad or major allies) need one at most, and the Big Bad is really the only one who needs more than one or two that matter outside of a confrontation.

Secondly, feel free to put a wall in front of the PCs that they need to spend Fate Points to get around. Set the difficulty for a challenge at +6 or something like that (obviously one that at least one PC has a +4 in a skill that can help them get around), then put them in a situation where their Aspects apply.

Thirdly, and going back to my statement about not thinking about compels: there are two ways to address this. One is to interrupt the players' discussion of what to do to offer a compel. The other, and the one that I've found to be more successful is to simply give them the Fate Point when they use their own Aspects to put an obstacle in their way. For example, one of my players has the Aspect "Strong On Theory, Weak On Practice". They were contemplating a magical murder mystery, and while he gleefully rolled Lore to try and theorize how it might have been done, he flat-out refused to roll for a Will roll to detect how it was actually done, saying that his character, as per the Aspect, would have no idea how to go about doing it. I gave him a Fate Point for that, since it was effectively a self-compel.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Some aspects are TOO good.

We decided "it sounded like a good idea!" is a bad aspect since it'd be compel-able in literally every scene of our Sky Pirates game.

Diskhotep
Jan 4, 2008

Golden Bee posted:

Some aspects are TOO good.

We decided "it sounded like a good idea!" is a bad aspect since it'd be compel-able in literally every scene of our Sky Pirates game.

My personal favorite is still "It's okay... I saw this in a movie once."

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Diskhotep posted:

My personal favorite is still "It's okay... I saw this in a movie once."

In one Dredd game we had someone with THRILL ADDICT and MY KATANA BRINGS JUSTICE partnered with a wheelman who was Totes Adorbs and "Learned this from a Vidcon."

I quite enjoyed playing a pulp journalist who had "Aww, don't be that way".

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Nov 7, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Public playtest for the Eclipse Phase Fate conversion kit is now available: http://eclipsephase.com/readme-ep-transhuman-fate-playtest-forum-guidelines

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

ibntumart posted:

For those of you who are familiar with Zelazny's Amber novels and/or the old Amber Diceless RPG, what do you think of this adaptation? I stumbled across it while going through the Evil Hat Wiki.

Every now and then I get the urge to run an old-fashioned Throne War, but fun as ADRPG was back in the day, I'd rather not run that system (not without a ton of house rules, anyway). I have never run a Fate game before, though, and am not sure if there's anything glaring missing in the write-up I linked to above.

Well, it's a very loose and rough adaptations. I guess the question would be is- do you want a conversion of the Amber novels, or the Amber DRPG? Because the two would have distinct differences, I think. I also guess it also depends on how much you care about Shadow Knight, because that also carries certain assumptions. Are you going to worry about people playing non-Amberites? Do people need access to Chaos powers or the like? Can somebody play a magical sentient computer? Good to think about your intent, really.

The thing I would be hesitant on is all the stunts just for Amber heritage or Pattern Mastery or whatever, that strikes me as more "stuff PCs automatically get" in that sort of game, and I'd rather see a focus on stunts that play off of those rather than worrying about stunt taxes. Stuff like Pattern Mastery or Trump Artistry strike me as the kind of things that could be skills with their own stunts that play off some specific aspect of those powers instead of "is just better at X". Just some thoughts, though, I don't think you need to worry about emulating things the way DRPG did them too much.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The new Bundle of Holding is a second collection of Fate stuff.

quote:

Adventurer! The Fated Fellowship, with help from our friends at DriveThruRPG, presents the Bundle of Fate +2, an all-new collection of DRM-free, non-watermarked .PDF ebooks that bring the popular Fate tabletop roleplaying rules to all kinds of new worlds and settings. For just US$8.95, you get all five titles in our starter collection (retail value $38):

The Day After Ragnarok - Fate Core Edition (retail price $13): Kenneth Hite's game of post-WWII Ragnarok apocalypse, where you fight serpent cultists, Spetsnaz troopers, and terrifying monsters.
Iron Edda: War of Metal & Bone (retail $15): Tracy Barnett's new Nordic-mecha fantasy setting of dwarven Destroyers, Runescribed heroes, and brave human warriors Bonebonded to giant skeletons. Will you dine with the gods in Valhalla, or dance with the dishonored dead?
The Ministry Initiative (retail $10): In JR Blackwell's secret-agent steampunk adventure game, you fight for Queen and Country against the House of Usher, the Phoenix Society, sky pirates, and other threats to the British Empire.
(As a convenience, we also include Evil Hat's Fate Core and Fate Accelerated Edition rulebooks, which are available as pay-what-you-want downloads from the Evil Hat website.)

And if you pay more than the threshold price of $18.95, you'll level up and get our complete collection of five bonus titles (retail value $74):

Base Raiders (retail $15): Every superhero and villain disappeared a year ago, and now "base raiders" explore their abandoned bases in search of trophies and tech. Includes new Strange Fate systems for base creation, superpowers, and changing the world.
Jadepunk: Tales from Kausao City (retail $10): Overthrow oppression in an original steampunk-wuxia world of Jadetech devices and kung fu action.
The Pirate's Guide to Freeport AND The Fate Freeport Companion (retail $29): Green Ronin's signature pirate-horror-fantasy city setting, detailed in a system-neutral Pirate's Guide, together with a Companion that brings Freeport into Fate Core.
Tianxia: Blood, Silk, & Jade (retail $15): Kung fu fantasy and epic wuxia adventure in the province of Jiangzhou, where wandering masters have the power to affect the fates of many.

Day After Ragnarok, Base Raiders, Tianxia, and The Pirate's Guide to Freeport are all really good.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Evil Mastermind posted:

Picked this up, thanks. There's gotta be ideas in there for my not-Wonderful 101 game.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Captain Walker posted:

Picked this up, thanks. There's gotta be ideas in there for my not-Wonderful 101 game.

!!!
I bet FATE is really good for this, with the emphasis on rolling together multiple advantages and combining your efforts for skill checks using teamwork.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Captain Walker posted:

Wooooonnnnndeeeeeer....CREATE ADVANTAGE!

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

Day After Ragnarok, Base Raiders, Tianxia, and The Pirate's Guide to Freeport are all really good.

I was eying those before I found the new gospel of Atomic Robo. Would these still have much to offer me in a post Robo world?

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

Evil Mastermind posted:

Ooh, shiney, I've been on the verge of buying Ragnorok for ages, this gives me a nice excuse! Now, can I persuade myself that I 'deserve' the upgrade, that's the question...

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
The Dungeon World thread had a ton of tips for running the game effectively, is there anything like that for FATE? When I run DW making poo poo up is fun for me, but in this game I don't think I use compels enough, or understand the various levels of success.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

There are 4 successes:

Fail (or succeed with major cost), Tie (Minor cost), success, success with style. Failure should be a setback; minor cost should be a complication; with style (usually) creates an advantage. All there is to it. Think of a tie as a 7-9, a success a 10+, and a with style as a 12+.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Captain Walker posted:

The Dungeon World thread had a ton of tips for running the game effectively, is there anything like that for FATE? When I run DW making poo poo up is fun for me, but in this game I don't think I use compels enough, or understand the various levels of success.

I've actually thought of doing a "how to Fate" book along the lines of the DW Guide, but I know I'll never do it (Scrape's the one who did pretty much all the work on that).

But to build on what Golden Bee said, look at the Fate Core book pages 189-190. They list a bunch of examples of succeeding at a minor cost or major cost. Think of those as GM Moves from DW.

Minor costs are "soft moves"; things that aren't an immediate threat but have to be dealt with soon. These can happen on ties where the PC succeeds but at a minor cost:
  • Foreshadow some imminent peril.
  • Introduce a new wrinkle.
  • Present the player with a hard choice.
  • Place an aspect on the PC or scene.
  • Give an NPC a boost.
  • Check one of the PC's stress boxes.

Serious costs are "hard moves"; things that the PC has to deal with right now and are what happen when you actually fail or when circumstances warrant them on a tie.
  • Reinforce the opposition.
  • Bring in a new opposition or obstacle.
  • Delay success.
  • Inflict a consequence.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

petrol blue posted:

can I persuade myself that I 'deserve' the upgrade, that's the question...

Funnily enough, the answer was 'beer'. At some point, I'll put together an effortpost about the million different FATE-based games I own! :)

(Still lacking Ehdrigohr, so I'll leave that review to someone else.)

e: My take on the "how to DW / fate" thing is that, for me, problems come from the way fate can be seen as 'standard-but-rules-light' rpg, wheras DW is very specific about the differences from older RPGs: Things like 'fail forward' aren't as explicitly baked into the rules in fate, compared to the "7-9, success with X price" of DW, so it's easy to fall into old bad habits. I'd really love to see a 'How To FATE' writeup or two!

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 23, 2014

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I feel like we've had this argument before in this thread, but instead of pass/fail, Fate gives
Succeed!,
Succeed,
Succeed...,
Goddamnit,
Fail.

Failure is still an option, and in my Fate experience turns into "My guy looks dumb. Someone else try something."

I'm intrigued by Evil M's idea of giving consequences as a result of a failed roll. I've only given them out in opposed contests but it's the rare 1% of games where all players even take a minor, so it could add tension.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Golden Bee posted:

I'm intrigued by Evil M's idea of giving consequences as a result of a failed roll. I've only given them out in opposed contests but it's the rare 1% of games where all players even take a minor, so it could add tension.

It's not my idea, that's actually in the book. It does say to be careful when you do that, though.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
My players in 6 months have NEVER opted for it, even a few pretty solid roleplayers. Something about taking a success at a dire cost scares them off.

I, on the other hand, use it here and there for boss-style fights. Of course a villain is going to take a success no matter what the cost is.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Mortanis posted:

My players in 6 months have NEVER opted for it, even a few pretty solid roleplayers. Something about taking a success at a dire cost scares them off.

I, on the other hand, use it here and there for boss-style fights. Of course a villain is going to take a success no matter what the cost is.

RPGs are ran on Roguelike mode. You have but one life to live, after all...so why take a risk with sucker's bets?

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Oh god, Iron Edda's worldgen is one of the best ideas I've seen in a while: a random table of questions - so, one player might roll "the warrior clans are feuding - why, and what could stop it?" Then the group spitballs an answer, adds to the map, rinse and repeat.

It doesn't hurt that it's the most :black101: setting ever - vikings selling their souls to form bone giant mecha, to fight off the evil giant dwarves. It's basically Manowar: the rpg, crossed with attack on titan.

The bundle of holding was worth it just for this.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Transient People posted:

RPGs are ran on Roguelike mode. You have but one life to live, after all...so why take a risk with sucker's bets?

Because sometimes succeeding is a lot more important than not dying.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

petrol blue posted:

Oh god, Iron Edda's worldgen is one of the best ideas I've seen in a while:

The bundle of holding was worth it just for this.

Day after Ragnarok is great because the character concepts are so evocative. You're not "Arcane Scholar"; you could be

quote:

An obsessed “ghost-breaker” working in the ruins of Paris; a Caltech physicist interested in black magic; a Bengali mathematician attempting to derive the Kabbalah from first principles.

Ministry Initiative did nothing for me, though, absolutely nothing. It felt as twee as Zooey Deschanel playing a kazoo shaped like a mustache. Did it add any good gameplay innovations?

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Nov 24, 2014

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
I've not even glanced at it yet, I got a few other books at the same time, and yeah, I got much the same impression. I am sick to death of steampunk victoriana bollocks. Not to mention that the pdf is high-res enough to make my tablet cry. :argh:

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

These are minor gripes, but their "models as spot art" isn't as good as the similar "Court/Ship". And it was clear Court/Ship was shot in someone's theater space in an afternoon.

Also:
Mandatory corsets!
because of course.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Court/Ship always seemed like discount Monsterhearts to me. Maybe because of the art style, maybe because I'm not up on my early modern history of France, but when I read it I kept thinking "what does this game do that Monsterhearts doesn't?"

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

It turns out Iron Edda is loving awesome and now I wish I'd backed the Kickstarter. Its price on DTRPG is a bit off putting, though, especially when half the book is scenarios. I hope they sort out PoD quickly!

EDIT: I'm not a huge fan of the way it throws around Weapon/Armor modifiers, but, then, I'm not a huge fan of how Core does it either.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 25, 2014

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

quote:

Welcome Recruit, to your first day with the Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences. My name is Wellington Thornhill Books, Esquire, and I am the Chief Archivist of the Archives, the depository of all cases once completed. We also provide logistics for future missions based on the successes and failures of previous agents who have traversed in the field in the name of Her Majesty.

I cannot impress upon you the astounding possibilities now held within your hands. You are about to embark on amazing adventures of derring-do, of explaining the unexplained, and of facing dark forces bent on the downfall of the Empire. THE MINISTRY INITIATIVE is your guide and your greatest weapon against those who would oppose you. Within the rules of the Fate Core Gaming System reside THE MINISTRY INITIATIVE, where you join your fellow agents in the field. Armed with the latest technological advancements from Research and Design, you enter the field and carry out missions that challenge everything you accept as reality. You will use this book to prepare yourself for what lies ahead, and we at the Archives will be here to offer our full support in logistics, in history, and in your most important asset in the field — knowledge.

On behalf of the Ministry Director, Doctor Basil Sound, I and my Junior Archivist, Eliza D. Braun, welcome you to the fold. Welcome to the Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences.

With greatest respect,
(sig -)Wellington Thornhill Books, Esq.
Wellington Thornhill Books, Esquire
Chief Archivist

How. Jolly.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Because sometimes succeeding is a lot more important than not dying.

And that 'sometimes' is more or less 'once per three campaigns' unless you're playing Polaris. So the point remains.

EDIT: Actually, I'm gonna go one step further with this, even: This isn't even something I'd expect to see once per three campaigns even, because FATE actively lets you decide which rolls matter to you and which don't, so you can be guaranteed to ace the results without having to take drawbacks, if you play your cards right. This is something I can actually speak from experience on - using Dresden Files (AKA, an old-style Refresh system that makes it really hard to build FP, because you need to use FP to avoid instant death due to massive Weapon ratings), I managed to amass five FP over the course of months of play for a big confrontation, making what would have been a losing proposition into a relatively clean win. It meant I had to play conservatively for a really long time, but when I got to spend, it was an extremely fun session where I got to put my character's devotion, selflessness and failings on full display. On more modern systems like Atomic Robo, you really have no excuse to have to take the sort of serious drawbacks that people fear, because when they do come up you're getting rewarded for it (like with Collateral Consequences), above and beyond the usual 'you don't look like an idiot because you failed in FATE' result that the 'succeed at serious cost' mechanic defaults to.

Transient People fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 25, 2014

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Davin Valkri posted:

Court/Ship always seemed like discount Monsterhearts to me. Maybe because of the art style, maybe because I'm not up on my early modern history of France, but when I read it I kept thinking "what does this game do that Monsterhearts doesn't?"

I don't think that's a fair comparison, since you can eschew all the supernatural stuff (all but the aliens) and it would still be a weird game about French courting, politicking, and ballroom dancing.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

They're both games about "love", but Monsterhearts is about selfish, violent love, and Court/Ship is about Courtly, secret, reputational love. It focuses on different things by adding Nobility as a ranked skill and asking every character to be at a different social rank.

In MH, there's no difference between 'trailer park sexay' or 'plastic surgery perfect' if your hot roll is +2.

Transient, to your point:
I do think Fate is a forgiving system. I think it's intentional in a system where you signal so heavily what you want your character to do. A game that supports HCs of "Wheelchair-bound Academic" and "Guardian of the Moon" can't have save-or-die effects.

I'd like to think by the time you get 5 FP, you've gotten through a LOT of poo poo. Before he can take on the sinister 6, Spider-Man has probably been dumped by Mary Jane, humiliated by Flash Thompson, yelled at by JJJ and been late to Aunt May's bridge tournament.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 25, 2014

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

Golden Bee posted:

They're both games about "love", but Monsterhearts is about selfish, violent love, and Court/Ship is about Courtly, secret, reputational love. It focuses on different things by adding Nobility as a ranked skill and asking every character to be at a different social rank.

In MH, there's no difference between 'trailer park sexay' or 'plastic surgery perfect' if your hot roll is +2.

Transient, to your point:
I do think Fate is a forgiving system. I think it's intentional in a system where you signal so heavily what you want your character to do. A game that supports HCs of "Wheelchair-bound Academic" and "Guardian of the Moon" can't have save-or-die effects.

I'd like to think by the time you get 5 FP, you've gotten through a LOT of poo poo. Before he can take on the sinister 6, Spider-Man has probably been dumped by Mary Jane, humiliated by Flash Thompson, yelled at by JJJ and been late to Aunt May's bridge tournament.

Exactly. It's why I think the 'fail OR take serious consequence' option is kind of just a failure that should be quietly done away with. 'You didn't do the thing you wanted' is sufficient, because a failure is like a compel you don't get paid for, except a lot of the time it's going to be MUCH worse than a compel due to the lacking guidelines. Why use them instead of compels?

...In fact, I think that's a better way to handle failures. You can fail, OR you can choose to blind-pick a compel of the GM's choice (which must still be reasonable and proportionate, of course), getting paid as usual. Does anybody else think this could work?

Transient People fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Nov 25, 2014

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I could swear I read this somewhere, but I can't find it and would like some help. There was an article about removing the Attack and Defend actions from Fate Core. I can't remember if it modifies Overcome or creates a new "Conflict" action to replace them. I thought it was by Ryan Macklin or someone equally prominent, but now I'm not sure.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Plague of Hats posted:

I could swear I read this somewhere, but I can't find it and would like some help. There was an article about removing the Attack and Defend actions from Fate Core. I can't remember if it modifies Overcome or creates a new "Conflict" action to replace them. I thought it was by Ryan Macklin or someone equally prominent, but now I'm not sure.

I don't have a source for you, but it's an interesting discussion. I feel like Attack still deserves a place in the system- it's the move you make when you want to outright harm or destroy something instead of working with or around it. Defend is kind of murky, though. Rules as written, you don't "Defend" against attempts to Create an Advantage on you, even if you're applying active opposition. So, why do you need to specifically "Defend" against an Attack?

If I had to guess the reasoning for the existence of the Defend action, it's to act as a framework for stunts that allow skills other than Athletic or Will to oppose incoming Attacks.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
I looked through The Ministry of [whatever] from the bundle last night. Jolly Pip Huzzah! Apparently it's based off a novel series, which I didn't know. Non-standard rules are:

- Gadgets, which come in 'agent' and 'skill' varieties. What what, steam widgets to full! Everyone gets an agent gadget free, and you can try and blag skill gadgets off R&D before a mission. Agent gadgets just give their aspects (high concept & trouble), Skill gadgets have the same aspects, and also give a bonus to a skill as long as you meet it's prerequisites (eg, +2 to stealth if you have >2 physique, etc). Brass top hat! Is it just me, or is that a)horribly unbalanced, and b) making 'disposable' gadgets far more valuable than your Special Super Agent Gadget? No rules about making new gadgets balanced, that's left to the GM.

- Vehicles get 3 aspects, 3 skills, a stunt. Pass my hunting industry, I spot a poor! No special rules, in theory you can take Fencing or Rapport on an airship, which is the only interesting thing about this book the end.

- Atomic Robo called. Tally thrip for queen and cogs! It says it's not angry, just disappointed.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

petrol blue posted:

I looked through The Ministry of [whatever] from the bundle last night. Jolly Pip Huzzah! Apparently it's based off a novel series, which I didn't know. Non-standard rules are:

- Gadgets, which come in 'agent' and 'skill' varieties. What what, steam widgets to full! Everyone gets an agent gadget free, and you can try and blag skill gadgets off R&D before a mission. Agent gadgets just give their aspects (high concept & trouble), Skill gadgets have the same aspects, and also give a bonus to a skill as long as you meet it's prerequisites (eg, +2 to stealth if you have >2 physique, etc). Brass top hat! Is it just me, or is that a)horribly unbalanced, and b) making 'disposable' gadgets far more valuable than your Special Super Agent Gadget? No rules about making new gadgets balanced, that's left to the GM.

- Vehicles get 3 aspects, 3 skills, a stunt. Pass my hunting industry, I spot a poor! No special rules, in theory you can take Fencing or Rapport on an airship, which is the only interesting thing about this book the end.

- Atomic Robo called. Tally thrip for queen and cogs! It says it's not angry, just disappointed.

The gadgets thing isn't super egregious- "Okay, but your skill gadget is broken now" seems like a pretty legit Success With a Cost. I dunno, my group likes getting NPCs to give them toys. If your setting is all about twee steampunk poo poo, you might as well let them have some twee steampunk toys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
Yeah, I'm probably being unfair, everything about it just tries so drat hard to get on my tits.