Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Paladin is gonna give her a research project based on punching things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Advising an independent project isn't quite the same as teaching, either. I think Paladin would be good at helping Alison figure out how to use her powers to make an actual difference in the world.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Wittgen posted:

Advising an independent project isn't quite the same as teaching, either. I think Paladin would be good at helping Alison figure out how to use her powers to make an actual difference in the world.

"Hey, I got this big crankshaft that needs turning for my new battery charger..."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah we kinda figured that much, Paladin.

Hey Allison has some pull with the Templar board if you do her a solid on this whole college thing wink wink.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

So it sounds like Moonshadow now has a motivation to target Paladin, assuming she knows about that.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
That depends on whether or not Moonshadow will switch M.Os from Rapists to people who assisted super villains.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Captain Bravo posted:

I'm actually wondering if Paladin has a dark past. All her work is based around robotics, and so far the only robots we've seen in the story are the killbots used by Templar.

It would be interesting if she was one of the people Patrick had following him, and she decided to flip sides with a new identity after he abandoned the organization. It would also make the robots offering to tear off arms and hand out poison make a lot more sense...

I can't tell whether the fact that the artist poked fun at people who didn't get this means I should be less smug, or incredibly more so. :smuggo:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Captain Bravo posted:

I can't tell whether the fact that the artist poked fun at people who didn't get this means I should be less smug, or incredibly more so. :smuggo:

Dude, Templar. Just like the comic says.

Historically a paladin = a knight templar (or one of the knights of the round table, but still)

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 29, 2014

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Right, what I'm saying is that I'm the only person in the thread who suggested a connection between Paladin and Templar. My confusion is whether it was so immediately obvious that nobody else bothered to point it out, or whether out of everyone in this thread I'm the only one who wasn't enthralled by the "Paladin must be a terrible boss" conversation long enough to put together the dots.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The person whose super power seems to be mostly about making robots made the only robots we've seen? Yeah, it really was that obvious.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Well, poo poo. :smugjones:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I didn't make the connection, but I can't even remember the last time Templar was a plot point since Patrick had that meeting with the Chinese supers at the dock. Pretty sure people have been namedropping it occasionally though so eh.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Captain Bravo posted:

it was so immediately obvious that nobody else bothered to point it out

This.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I didn't make the connection from the name, but from her being the only character shown making robots

Wittgen posted:

I think the robots might be former Templar robots that have been re-purposed. They're friendly and harmless, but occasionally the old programming shines through.

Jackard posted:

Did it ever say where he got the robots from? Another biodynamic on his team maybe?
e: beat CaptainBravo putting two and two together by a month :shepface:

Jackard fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Nov 30, 2014

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
In this update we learn that Menace has employed the most terrifying foe to keep Paladin in his grasp for all these years lawyers.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
man it's just like being trapped in a conversation with a person you admire who keep talking poo poo about one of your friends, and you don't know how to defend them without revealing that you are friends. awkward

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Paladin's statements are completely accurate, though?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Brought To You By posted:

In this update we learn that Menace has employed the most terrifying foe to keep Paladin in his grasp for all these years lawyers.

I hope Moonshadow puts killing those lawyers at a higher priority than murdering Paladin.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

Paladin's statements are completely accurate, though?

Are they? I need to archive binge to be sure but I don't know if Menace personally killed anyone.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

thatbastardken posted:

Are they? I need to archive binge to be sure but I don't know if Menace personally killed anyone.

He was a Supervillain. While he may not have murdered anyone, I doubt he stopped his evil deeds at taking candy from babies.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

nimby posted:

He was a Supervillain. While he may not have murdered anyone, I doubt he stopped his evil deeds at taking candy from babies.

He always seemed to work through intermediaries, from what we've seen. Possibly precisely due to the issue Paladin is describing.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

He always seemed to work through intermediaries, from what we've seen. Possibly precisely due to the issue Paladin is describing.

I can imagine that whatever thoughts go through someone's head while they are dying are disturbing enough to the guy who can't turn off his telepathy. I wouldn't say that he hasn't been near people who have died, he seemed pretty collected at the hospital after Allison punched a guy through a wall, but he built his original organization so that he wouldn't have to be on the front-line. Maybe there is something more to that than maintaining secrecy for his identity.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

thatbastardken posted:

man it's just like being trapped in a conversation with a person you admire who keep talking poo poo about one of your friends, and you don't know how to defend them without revealing that you are friends. awkward

The only one who believes Menace has really reformed is the dumb and naive protagonist, and that's because she was convinced by a smooth-talker who could read her mind to find in it what would convince her.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

The only one who believes Menace has really reformed is the dumb and naive protagonist, and that's because she was convinced by a smooth-talker who could read her mind to find in it what would convince her.

She is also the only one who has seen Menace since he stopped being a supervillain.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Cat Mattress posted:

Menace lying about his reform would really go against the themes of the story though.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Dr Pepper posted:

Menace lying about his reform would really go against the themes of the story though.

Turns out Feral's organ donations were all an elaborate tax evasion scheme.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
At this point it isn't clear whether Menace has reformed or not, or even what reform means for him. What we do know is that he stopped attacking major cities with giant robots. The story has already told us that he's deceiving Alison about his dealings with the Chinese, but we don't know why he's doing that. He hasn't been in touch with his old group (probably - having his ex-henchmen attack Alison doesn't seem like it'd be part of his current plans). Whatever purpose it was that was driving him when he was a villain probably still is, he's just expressing it in different ways, possibly less destructive ones.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I've always thought that he just changed targets once he realized that something bigger than him was out there. He still is acting like a villain in the shadows, just with a much smaller body count (as far as we know).

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
He expressly told her how he would get people to do what he wanted by telling them what they wanted to hear and playing to their doubts, fears, and impulses; and he got her to let him go free by telling her something that played to her doubts, fears, and impulses.

Dude is the loving villain, and Allison is steadily going Anakin Skywalker here, they are both planning to disrupt society (which is classically what the villain does) the question is what is the end state and if the ends justify the means. This is perfectly keeping not only with the established theme of the comic, but the direction of the chapter - issues of supes using their powers for the state interests, and now they are in trouble because their end goal and methods were fine against the other, but not against the state (Moonshadow effectively nullifying the act of the state by murdering those kids, then murdering actors of the state - the judge and the mercenaries)

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Fried Chicken posted:

He expressly told her how he would get people to do what he wanted by telling them what they wanted to hear and playing to their doubts, fears, and impulses; and he got her to let him go free by telling her something that played to her doubts, fears, and impulses.

Dude is the loving villain, and Allison is steadily going Anakin Skywalker here, they are both planning to disrupt society (which is classically what the villain does) the question is what is the end state and if the ends justify the means. This is perfectly keeping not only with the established theme of the comic, but the direction of the chapter - issues of supes using their powers for the state interests, and now they are in trouble because their end goal and methods were fine against the other, but not against the state (Moonshadow effectively nullifying the act of the state by murdering those kids, then murdering actors of the state - the judge and the mercenaries)

This is a good post.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't think it's that simple, though. He's clearly doing shady things, but I think that he's been truthful with her about his goals. I just don't think he trusts her to allow him to work through the channels he feels will accomplish those goals.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Fried Chicken posted:

Dude is the loving villain

Pretty much agree with everything except this bit, because out of Menace and the US government/Capitalism I'm pretty sure I know who the villain is.

Axeface
Feb 28, 2009

He Who Walks
Behind The Aisles

Dr Pepper posted:

Not necessarily. The story, at least so far, is about the ethics of cultural transformation, socially and personally, and the trauma involved therein. Whether or not Menace has "reformed" is only one source of tension; the detachment and interrelation between various forms of "good" ("Are you a good person?" "I don't really identify as a person") is really the question that's being chewed on here. For now, at the very least, the ambiguity of his "reform" is thematically potent in itself.

It's easy to read this just as a social justice vehicle or whatever, but you can't ignore the superhero aesthetic. The interplay between that exaggerated, iconic imagery with the smaller-scale stuff is important. This:

Fried Chicken posted:

they are both planning to disrupt society (which is classically what the villain does) the question is what is the end state and if the ends justify the means

is at least partially on point, and the unresolved discussion of comic.

Axeface fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 4, 2014

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

thatbastardken posted:

Pretty much agree with everything except this bit, because out of Menace and the US government/Capitalism I'm pretty sure I know who the villain is.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Well yeah, figured it went without saying.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Fried Chicken posted:

You're ignoring the possibility that he told Paladin the exact thing that would cause her to leave his organization, by preying on her doubts, fears, and impulses.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Everything that happened, happens or is going to happen has gone, is going or will go exactly as Menace had planned all those years ago before he started his supervillainy.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Captain Bravo posted:

You're ignoring the possibility that he told Paladin the exact thing that would cause her to leave his organization, by preying on her doubts, fears, and impulses.
Because that would be dumb.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Heck of an awakening for a new AI. "Welcome to the world, here's a sock to the jaw to see if you can be provoked to violence!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
That's not what Paladin's asking for, it's "if it IS violent please beat it up."

• Locked thread