Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
I'm going to build a new gaming PC over the summer months. I don't have the money to buy everything at once so I'm going to be scoping out deals and sales. I'll probably be a frequent nuisance here asking about "worth or wait" and "will it work with x I got last week." So I have a few components from my dead PC I would like some feedback on first:

Case: Cooler Master Centurion 5
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO ( I can't remember if this is a 250 or 500, but either way I don't store a lot of stuff, it's currently in an older netbook I don't use)
PSU: TSX XFX 550 80+ Bronze This is roughly 2 years old, should be good for a few more years right?

I sold the 760gt when my mobo died here's a board on sale at newegg right now http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...orebbr=1&cm_sp= should I jump on this? Will it fit in my case? Should I buy a new case anyway? (I'm sort of okay with getting a smaller case and abandoning the drive slots, but if I can save the money and reuse my case I'll do that)

My final question is since I'm generally playing blizzard games and will most likely get some more graphically intense stuff down the road should I aim for a 980/970 and what processor? I'm sure a solid i5 will do the trick, I would like to spend under 400 for both of these components, but like I said I'm buying one part at a time here mostly so I can wait a bit and budget more if the step is worth it. Is the power supply still powerful enough? Does the case have enough cooling?

Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Nitramster posted:

I'm going to build a new gaming PC over the summer months. I don't have the money to buy everything at once so I'm going to be scoping out deals and sales. I'll probably be a frequent nuisance here asking about "worth or wait" and "will it work with x I got last week." So I have a few components from my dead PC I would like some feedback on first:

Case: Cooler Master Centurion 5
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO ( I can't remember if this is a 250 or 500, but either way I don't store a lot of stuff, it's currently in an older netbook I don't use)
PSU: TSX XFX 550 80+ Bronze This is roughly 2 years old, should be good for a few more years right?

I sold the 760gt when my mobo died here's a board on sale at newegg right now http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...orebbr=1&cm_sp= should I jump on this? Will it fit in my case? Should I buy a new case anyway? (I'm sort of okay with getting a smaller case and abandoning the drive slots, but if I can save the money and reuse my case I'll do that)

My final question is since I'm generally playing blizzard games and will most likely get some more graphically intense stuff down the road should I aim for a 980/970 and what processor? I'm sure a solid i5 will do the trick, I would like to spend under 400 for both of these components, but like I said I'm buying one part at a time here mostly so I can wait a bit and budget more if the step is worth it. Is the power supply still powerful enough? Does the case have enough cooling?

Thanks

You should not buy stuff piecemeal, I know it's tempting but you need to be able to check if the components work within a month of purchase so you can do an exchange if one of them is DOA. You should get a new case, the Centurion 5 is ancient and a new case would be much better for temps, easier to work in and just better overall. The 840 EVO can be kept, it's still a good SSD, the PSU can be kept too. You should wait on the video card since new ones are in the process of coming out right now and prices will be in flux for a while. The GTX 1080 has been out for a couple weeks, the GTX 1070 just came out today, the RX 480 is set to come out on the 29th and in the future there will be a GTX 1060 and RX 490.

For a CPU either the i5-6500 or the i5-6600k, the 6600k will be much faster but requires a decent cooler(~$30) and must be OCed to get that extra speed, OCing is dead easy these days so if you can afford it the 6600k is a good deal. However with a $400 budget for the GPU/CPU I would go with the 6500 instead so more can be spent on the GPU, for the GPU an RX 480 would be good, it looks like it will be about as fast as a GTX 980. If you meant $400 for each component then your best bet would be a GTX 1070 and an i5-6600k with a nice cooler, maybe even an i7-6700k plus a good cooler.

Something nice in the midrange would look like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($204.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($82.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Micro Center)
Video Card: RX 480 ($200.00)
Power Supply: XFX TSX 550W
Total: $587.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-10 13:00 EDT-0400

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro
Thanks for the input guys. I could probably try and squeeze more out of the CPU clock for now because I have a H60 which seems like an okay cooling solution. Ideally I'll be getting an i5 6500 next month, month after at most so I won't have to wait for too long.

WatchTHIS
Oct 26, 2010

Violent action ensues.
What country are you in? US, Hawaii
What are you using the system for? Gaming
What's your budget? $1500~
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? 1080p, looking mainly to get as many frames as possible for FPS titles while using a 144hz monitor

The biggest hurdle is avoiding the significant shipping costs many vendors have for shipping to Hawaii, the list below primarily draws from Amazon for that reason. The list itself is little more than an amalgamation of builds that were previously posted for others that were looking for similar setups so I’m not particularly married to any particular set of parts.

Mainly looking for something cool, compact and dependable while fitting a i5 6500/6600 and a GTX1070 that settles within or near my price range.

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/FmVWZ8

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($152.29 @ Amazon)

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($39.74 @ Amazon)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($153.95 @ Amazon)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)

Video Card: Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB ($450~)

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.98 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($78.10 @ Amazon)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($84.85 @ Amazon)

Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24.0" 144Hz Monitor ($248.00 @ Amazon)

Total: $1600
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-10 14:36 EDT-0400

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well, first off, there's little purpose in buying a Z170 board without an overclocking-capable CPU or fast RAM, so you could cut down to an H170 board.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Agreed, although if you're spending that much my recommendation would go the other direction - get a 6600K and a good HSF so you can overclock it if you want to build a really topnotch system.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

WatchTHIS posted:

What country are you in? US, Hawaii
What are you using the system for? Gaming
What's your budget? $1500~
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? 1080p, looking mainly to get as many frames as possible for FPS titles while using a 144hz monitor

The biggest hurdle is avoiding the significant shipping costs many vendors have for shipping to Hawaii, the list below primarily draws from Amazon for that reason. The list itself is little more than an amalgamation of builds that were previously posted for others that were looking for similar setups so I’m not particularly married to any particular set of parts.

Mainly looking for something cool, compact and dependable while fitting a i5 6500/6600 and a GTX1070 that settles within or near my price range.

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/FmVWZ8

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($152.29 @ Amazon)

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($39.74 @ Amazon)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)

Video Card: Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB ($450~)

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.98 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($78.10 @ Amazon)

Total: $1600
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-10 14:36 EDT-0400

Here is a build with an i5-6600k and some better component choices, all from Amazon:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($242.81 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.65 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Founders Edition Video Card ($420.00)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Titanium) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1553.21
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-10 16:07 EDT-0400

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
I want a PC that can handle VR, but Skylake isn't a huge upgrade over my current Sandy Bridge CPU. The July 29th deadline for a free Win10 update is breathing down my neck, though, so I threw a new build together:

Regardless of whether I go with this or not, I plan to pick up a GF 1070 once they become widely available, as I'm currently running a 560 Ti. Or maybe AMD's new card, if the price/performance/power draw is right.

What I'm wondering is if I need to buy all this stuff, or if my i5-2500 is enough to drive early VR stuff. From the research I've done, these days CPU power mostly affects minimum framerate, which for VR is much more of a consideration than in typical gaming. I'd like to go as long as possible before making a CPU upgrade, to maximize the performance gain.

I've also got a 5 year-old OCZ 600w PSU that I'd imagine is due for a replacement either way, yes? :v:

Ludicrous Gibs! fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 10, 2016

WatchTHIS
Oct 26, 2010

Violent action ensues.

PerrineClostermann posted:

Well, first off, there's little purpose in buying a Z170 board without an overclocking-capable CPU or fast RAM, so you could cut down to an H170 board.

Eletriarnation posted:

Agreed, although if you're spending that much my recommendation would go the other direction - get a 6600K and a good HSF so you can overclock it if you want to build a really topnotch system.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Here is a build with an i5-6600k and some better component choices, all from Amazon:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($242.81 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.65 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Founders Edition Video Card ($420.00)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Titanium) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1553.21
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-10 16:07 EDT-0400

Wow you all are quick, and that list looks perfect!

Many thanks all around!

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I'm speccing a CAD workstation build for work (for convoluted reasons I can't just buy a pre-built system from HP like I wanted to) and I'm getting hung up trying to find a dual-processor Xeon workstation board that supports nVidia Quadro SLI and the latest E5-2600 v4 series processors. Supermicro has a board, the X10DAX, that supports it with a BIOS update, but you can't update the BIOS without a compatible processor.

Any leads?

corgski fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 10, 2016

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

I've more or less decided to go with a "be quiet" case, and I figured I should go ahead and get a cooler and power supply from the same brand because that's what they'd be testing with. I've listed what I've got below, if anyone has any suggestions, please list them, I'm not particularly attached to anything yet. Money isn't a major issue.

My real question though is about motherboard. Where do I even start? I'm pretty sure I want a Z170 chipset since I've got a 6700k, right? Other than that, I remember ASUS being better than most other brands about 8 years ago. No idea if that's still true. I'd like a suggestion for RAM as well. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get two 16gb sticks of DDR4, leaving the option to buy two more in the future if I ever decide 32gb isn't enough ram. I've never paid much attention to anything ram-related outside of size, so any suggestions there would be great too.

I plan on re-using my video card (7870) and hard drives from my previous PC temporarily. I'll upgrade those at some point over the next year and repurpose my old PC into something or other. So for now, I'm not too worried about those choices.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($314.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($49.45 @ Amazon)
Case: be quiet! SILENT BASE 600 (Silver) ATX Mid Tower Case ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power L8 700W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Total: $449.43
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-10 16:31 EDT-0400

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

I am seriously considering throwing my computer into the sea vs. finding some hard drive rails. Here's an imgur album with the rails I need (i have two, i need a couple more sets) http://imgur.com/a/6DTM4

I found some company in the freakin' Netherlands that seems to sell EXACTLY WHAT I NEED, but I'd really rather not have to order what is a $5 part from the freakin' Netherlands when it's probably on Newegg if I can just work out the arcane keywords (hard drive rails shows me a bunch of weird poo poo and some servers, or some green things for Dell machines that don't fit I tried.) Here's the site in the freakin' Netherlands that sells them, if that helps at all.
http://www.cmstore.eu/parts-replacements/case/centurion/centurion-6/centurion-6-hdd-rails/

I am a million percent happy to take measurements or photos from weird angles or ram them up my nose into my brain cavity if that will help.

edit to add: i am in the US and none of that other stuff matters probably

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

PopeCrunch posted:

I am seriously considering throwing my computer into the sea vs. finding some hard drive rails. Here's an imgur album with the rails I need (i have two, i need a couple more sets) http://imgur.com/a/6DTM4

I found some company in the freakin' Netherlands that seems to sell EXACTLY WHAT I NEED, but I'd really rather not have to order what is a $5 part from the freakin' Netherlands when it's probably on Newegg if I can just work out the arcane keywords (hard drive rails shows me a bunch of weird poo poo and some servers, or some green things for Dell machines that don't fit I tried.) Here's the site in the freakin' Netherlands that sells them, if that helps at all.
http://www.cmstore.eu/parts-replacements/case/centurion/centurion-6/centurion-6-hdd-rails/

I am a million percent happy to take measurements or photos from weird angles or ram them up my nose into my brain cavity if that will help.

edit to add: i am in the US and none of that other stuff matters probably

You're never going to find those parts from anywhere else, sorry. :(

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

What country are you in? United States
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Gaming
What's your budget? $1000 ballpark
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? 1920/1080

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($215.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI H170A PC Mate ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($84.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($33.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($87.69 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
Case: Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.88 @ OutletPC)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.88 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($83.89 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $790.68
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-10 20:05 EDT-0400

Im purchasing everything from Amazon even if stuffs slightly cheaper elsewhere because I have free shipping from there and a gift card so I dont mind. I know nothing about this stuff, last time I built a pc I went by a list this thread helped me assemble years ago and it's time to upgrade, im open to any suggestions, I just want to game on something besides potato graphics,currently I can barely run skyrim. I just went by the quick pick list, and I didnt pick a graphics card because someone told me to wait until I could get one of those new 1070 things that came out today but theyre ridiculously expensive, not sure when theyre gonna come down or if I need it. Theres no rhyme or reason I just picked from the list.

Tim Jong-un fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 11, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Tim Jong-un posted:

What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Gaming

CPU: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80662i56600 225$
CPU Cooler: do i need this?
Motherboard: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-h170apcmate 102$
Memory: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/R6RFf7/gskill-memory-f42133c15d8gvr 44$
Video Card: One of the new 1070 things everyones so hyped about?
Storage:http://pcpartpicker.com/product/MwW9TW/western-digital-internal-hard-drive-wd10ezex 50$
SSD:http://pcpartpicker.com/product/3kL7YJ/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mz75e250bam 90$
Case:http://pcpartpicker.com/product/9JvRsY/corsair-case-cc9011049ww 112$
Power Supply: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/3zNypg/corsair-power-supply-cp9020090na 100$
Operating System: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/wtgPxr/microsoft-os-kw900140 - 85$
Optical Drive: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/2v9KHx/asus-optical-drive-drw24b1stblkbas 25$
Wireless Network Adapter:http://pcpartpicker.com/product/tTdqqs/gigabyte-wireless-network-card-gcwb867di 33$

Total: 866$ excluding graphics card so far.

Im purchasing everything from Amazon even if stuffs slightly cheaper elsewhere because I have free shipping from there and a gift card so I dont mind. I know nothing about this stuff, last time I built a pc I went by a list this thread helped me assemble years ago and it's time to upgrade, im open to any suggestions, I just want to game on something besides potato graphics,currently I can barely run skyrim. I just went by the quick pick list, and I didnt pick a graphics card because someone told me to wait until I could get one of those new 1070 things that came out today but theyre ridiculously expensive, not sure when theyre gonna come down or if I need it. Theres no rhyme or reason I just picked from the list.

Please go to PCPartPicker, on the page with your build press the [bb] button and copy and paste your build into a post, this makes it much easier to tell what parts you have selected.

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I changed it, though it wouldnt let me change preferred to Amazon for some reason. Parts list is correct but prices are lower than from Amazon.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Tim Jong-un posted:

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($33.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
Case: Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.88 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($83.89 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $790.68
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-10 20:05 EDT-0400

Here, I put together a list that will save you a good bit of money, all prices from Amazon:

Motherboard: MSI H170A PC Mate ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($101.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: PNY Anarchy 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($27.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($55.11 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($18.99 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($32.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1070 ($420.00)
Total: $1154.57
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-10 20:50 EDT-0400

I had to cut back on a few things but for the most part it is just as powerful as your first build. I chose a good, cheaper GTX 1070 for you for a few reasons; first off a card that would be more suitable for your monitor resolution would not be that much cheaper and would be much, much less powerful. Second, it is nice to have a card that is overkill for your resolution, if you want to upgrade your monitor to anything short of 4k the 1070 will still be a very good card for that, it will also last you a very long time before you need to upgrade and in the meantime you will be able to crank practically every setting to the max without any worries about low frame rate. If you need to keep the costs down I would recommend you wait for the RX 480 from AMD which should be $200-$240 and will be as powerful as a GTX 980 or R9 390X is, we will get more info like release dates and the first reviews on June 29th. But if you are willing to spend the money the GTX 1070 will be a hell of a card to have for a long time to come.

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

Thank you very much for the help! $1154 is very much in the ballpark of what I wanted,any idea when the EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1070 will be out? It's not currently listed on Amazon.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Tim Jong-un posted:

Thank you very much for the help! $1154 is very much in the ballpark of what I wanted,any idea when the EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1070 will be out? It's not currently listed on Amazon.

It's "out", but good luck getting one for a while at least.

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

If I went ahead and ordered everything today except the graphics card would I be making a mistake? Ive never dealt with newly released pc parts so not sure what the time table would be on them being in stock and I wouldnt mind having the rest of the stuff here and ready to go if I just had to wait on the card.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Tim Jong-un posted:

If I went ahead and ordered everything today except the graphics card would I be making a mistake? Ive never dealt with newly released pc parts so not sure what the time table would be on them being in stock and I wouldnt mind having the rest of the stuff here and ready to go if I just had to wait on the card.

Doing it without the video card can work because you can put the rest of the computer together running the integrated graphics so you'll know that everything works. The main problem with waiting with parts is that if they're broken you want easy returns, and if you don't have all the parts a computer needs then you don't know.

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

xthetenth posted:

Doing it without the video card can work because you can put the rest of the computer together running the integrated graphics so you'll know that everything works. The main problem with waiting with parts is that if they're broken you want easy returns, and if you don't have all the parts a computer needs then you don't know.

Ok, thank you everyone for the advice!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Tim Jong-un posted:

Tim Jong-un posted:

As others have said there is no problem putting together the whole thing sans-GPU. For the card I recommended you can go to the nowinstock.net page for the 1070 and check for when one that you are willing to buy is in stock, I believe you can also sign up and have them text you right away when cards come into stock. As far as what cards you should consider good manufacturers are EVGA, MSI, Gigabyte and Asus, avoid cards with blower coolers, they have one fan on the far end of the card and are louder and worse at cooling overall, anything named "Founders Edition" is this type and over priced to boot. The cards with two or three fans should be fine, some of them are more expensive but if you are willing to pay the extra money feel free to get something different from the one I recommended.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tim Jong-un posted:

When they'll be out and when you'll be able to get one is two entirely different things unless you manage to load a site like Newegg right as they get some in stock because they'll be gone in minutes. Newegg's page for the card only recently went up and god knows that the moment it has any to order they're going to get nailed by a lot of people when those alerts go out.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
Hello everyone I hope you're having a nice morning.

My 660Ti finally took his own life after being forced to play terrible early access games for years. I don't blame him.

I've been assuming I'll get an MSI/EVGA 1070, but don't actually need something super top of the line. What's the consensus on used GPUs? I know it's gotta be hard to know quality. Would it be worth trying to pick up a used 980 somewhere while everyone's in an upgrade frenzy?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

The Mantis posted:

My 660Ti finally took his own life after being forced to play terrible early access games for years. I don't blame him.

I've been assuming I'll get an MSI/EVGA 1070, but don't actually need something super top of the line. What's the consensus on used GPUs? I know it's gotta be hard to know quality. Would it be worth trying to pick up a used 980 somewhere while everyone's in an upgrade frenzy?

If you can find one for $200-$220 or so it might be worth it. Favor EVGA cards since they have a transferable warranty.

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011
I've heard an awful lot of bad stuff about Windows 10, even though it's cheap, and even though there's a pretty large amount of things about 7 that are kind of dated and lovely by now, what are the major downsides of 10? Is it finally time to just bite the bullet and upgrade?
I remember being kind of concerned about some of the stuff that they enable that's a bit anti-privacy.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Lavender Philtrum posted:

I've heard an awful lot of bad stuff about Windows 10, even though it's cheap, and even though there's a pretty large amount of things about 7 that are kind of dated and lovely by now, what are the major downsides of 10? Is it finally time to just bite the bullet and upgrade?
I remember being kind of concerned about some of the stuff that they enable that's a bit anti-privacy.
All the anti-privacy stuff is simple to turn off in settings and/or is overblown. The start menu takes a bit of getting used to, and the first thing you should do once it's installed is hide Cortana and pretend it doesn't exist. Further information here.

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

The Mantis posted:

hey pal, it's probably gonna be hard to find a gtx 1070 for the next month -- they're selling out immediately when they stock up here in the USA. you're pretty much gonna be looking at a 20-70USD price premium for the founders edition (this is a reference model which are all the same between whatever brand is on the box) which is the most readily available 1070. add in board partner 1070s were supposed to msrp for ~375USD, however it seems like it's closer to 400USD. supply for these cards will probably stabilize in like a month.

eu cards resellers are price gouging the consumer due to the small supply and sometimes having to buy cards at higher prices from vendors. on top of the 20% VAT, it's gonna be real expensive. you're probably gonna have some trouble finding a card in sub-sahara africa that won't cost you several heads of cattle and some blood diamonds or involve importing.

used GPUs are kind of a crapshoot if you can't verify that it works before you purchase it. buyer beware.

if you're just trying to run dayz (you should quit), you could easily upgrade to a 970 or 980 (150-250 used)for cheaper than the 1070.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

Smithereens posted:

hey pal, it's probably gonna be hard to find a gtx 1070 for the next month -- they're selling out immediately when they stock up here in the USA. you're pretty much gonna be looking at a 20-70USD price premium for the founders edition (this is a reference model which are all the same between whatever brand is on the box) which is the most readily available 1070. add in board partner 1070s were supposed to msrp for ~375USD, however it seems like it's closer to 400USD. supply for these cards will probably stabilize in like a month.

eu cards resellers are price gouging the consumer due to the small supply and sometimes having to buy cards at higher prices from vendors. on top of the 20% VAT, it's gonna be real expensive. you're probably gonna have some trouble finding a card in sub-sahara africa that won't cost you several heads of cattle and some blood diamonds or involve importing.

used GPUs are kind of a crapshoot if you can't verify that it works before you purchase it. buyer beware.

if you're just trying to run dayz (you should quit), you could easily upgrade to a 970 or 980 (150-250 used)for cheaper than the 1070.

Listen to this man, don't become a monster like me.

VAT etc isn't a huge problem because I can buy and ship at US prices, but you're 100% right about supply. This FE baloney is bullshit. I mean I guess they have a right to sell at whatever price we're buying at, I'm just not ready to drop $400. Especially when the rest of my rig can't take full advantage of it.

Now off to poke around the terrifying world of used computer parts :ohdear:

Any recommendations on resellers?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

The Mantis posted:

Listen to this man, don't become a monster like me.

VAT etc isn't a huge problem because I can buy and ship at US prices, but you're 100% right about supply. This FE baloney is bullshit. I mean I guess they have a right to sell at whatever price we're buying at, I'm just not ready to drop $400. Especially when the rest of my rig can't take full advantage of it.

Now off to poke around the terrifying world of used computer parts :ohdear:

Any recommendations on resellers?

SA Mart. There will be lots of goons offloading over the next few months, you can probably snag a 970 or 980 for cheap.

E: lol there's literally two goons selling their 970s for $225 shipped on the first page of SA Mart.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jun 11, 2016

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Iron Rose posted:

SA Mart. There will be lots of goons offloading over the next few months, you can probably snag a 970 or 980 for cheap.

E: lol there's literally two goons selling their 970s for $225 shipped on the first page of SA Mart.

Still not worth it, though, if the 480 is anything like what's been shown.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

PerrineClostermann posted:

Still not worth it, though, if the 480 is anything like what's been shown.

So much this. I'd wait for the 480, then decide. If nothing else, the prices of 970s and 980s will likely tumble further.

Happysafer
Feb 12, 2007

"You idiots!"
The other day I tried to play Overwatch with my brother and found that my (old AMD) video card isn't supported, so I asked my brother to help me build a PC. I'm not very savvy with this stuff and I don't trust my brother, but this is what he came up with:

Motherboard: ASRock H170M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($97.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($30.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($174.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $679.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-11 11:21 EDT-0400

I have a PNY 240 GB CS1211 Internal 2.5" SATA III Value Solid State Drive SSD7CS1211-240-RB for my OS, and a Windows 7 license that I'm planning to use for a Windows 10 upgrade.

I would appreciate if anyone could look over this list and would tell me if this computer will run and allow me to play newer games and any other advice would be appreciated.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'm gonna disagree here, my mother got an iPad, found it far too limiting and found the touch interface to be a pain to use for anything beyond the most basic usage. I ended up getting her a NUC instead and it's worked out fine so far. I can see getting a cheap Dell, I didn't because the price difference was very small, my mother is pretty computer literate and because I have a moral objection to Dell computers after trying to help numerous people upgrade from one. :cheeky:

I have an inexpensive Dell slim desktop from 2013 with an i3, and I was able to upgrade the memory, spinning disk hard drive to flash hard drive, the mini-pci card from a 2.4 GHz g card to a 5 GHz ac card pretty easily, and migrate from Windows 8 to Windows 10 really easily. The computer has worked really great for me.

And it has grandma-approved features like an optical drive, VGA out for old monitors, and an all in one flash-memory card reader for her digital camera. The fact that the computer has the wireless card and the 2 wifi antennas pre-installed in the plastic panel in the front of the case is also a selling point over a DIY build if she has a wireless router. Not having to run an ethernet cable is a nice convenience.

A NUC may also be a good idea if they "just work". I've never used one. They probably don't have all of the legacy stuff on them though.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Happysafer posted:

The other day I tried to play Overwatch with my brother and found that my (old AMD) video card isn't supported, so I asked my brother to help me build a PC. I'm not very savvy with this stuff and I don't trust my brother, but this is what he came up with:

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($30.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($174.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $679.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-11 11:21 EDT-0400

I have a PNY 240 GB CS1211 Internal 2.5" SATA III Value Solid State Drive SSD7CS1211-240-RB for my OS, and a Windows 7 license that I'm planning to use for a Windows 10 upgrade.

I would appreciate if anyone could look over this list and would tell me if this computer will run and allow me to play newer games and any other advice would be appreciated.

Here's a better build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($223.55 @ Amazon)
Memory: PNY Anarchy 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($27.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB FTW ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $664.48
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-11 13:25 EDT-0400

1) Changed out the RAM for something cheaper.
2) Changed the video card for a nicer model, since it's only $5 more.
3) I switched the case for something much cheaper and more suitable for your usage, the other one is a nice case but it costs twice as much and its big feature is space for loads of hard drives, it doesn't sound like you need that. This one is small, quiet, easy to build in and much cheaper. You can still fit a couple HDDs and SSDs inside too.
4) Added a better PSU, Corsair CX PSUs have quality issues. This one is cheap but pretty decent and EVGA has amazing customer service.

Also avoid buying from SuperBiiz and OutletPC, they are not licensed resellers and do some really shady stuff.

Dazzo
Jun 22, 2006

With these new video cards coming out I'm looking to do a full desktop rebuild. Please let me know if there are any suggested adjustments.

What country are you in? - USA
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? - Gaming

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A SLI PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($118.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($299.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Acer XB271HU bmiprz 27.0" 165Hz Monitor ($717.94 @ B&H)
Total: $1643.65 - (tack on ~680 for the GTX 1080 FTW for a total of ~$2,323.65)
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-11 14:05 EDT-0400

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

I need to replace my current hand-me-down desktop with something that is at all useable. This will be my first time building a computer and I don't know what I'm doing. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

What country are you in? US
What are you using the system for? Gaming, mostly strategy and FPS
What's your budget? ~800$
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics? 1920x1080 and good framerate are important, looking good is a secondary concern.

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card ($234.28 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $785.21
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-11 14:24 EDT-0400

(I have access to Amazon Prime fwiw)

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Dazzo posted:

With these new video cards coming out I'm looking to do a full desktop rebuild. Please let me know if there are any suggested adjustments.

What country are you in? - USA
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? - Gaming

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A SLI PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($118.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($299.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1643.65 - (tack on ~680 for the GTX 1080 FTW for a total of ~$2,323.65)
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-11 14:05 EDT-0400

Here is a tweaked build:

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.50)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A SLI PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($132.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk X400 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($229.49 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($108.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1628.86
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-11 14:43 EDT-0400

1) I changed out the CPU cooler for a better one, do a search on Newegg to find it. It's a bit more expensive but it's worth it for the better cooling performance and especially because it is offset to one side so it won't get in the way of those tall RAM sticks you are using in your build.
2) I changed out the SSD for one that I have recently read up on and am impressed by. Its performance is a little lower than the 850 EVO but it comes with the same 5 year warranty, Sandisk is good about customer service so if you have a problem they are reliable and it is much cheaper than the 850 EVO, it's a great deal if you are looking at the 1TB size for SSDs.
3) I changed out the Define R4 for the R5, the R5 is more expensive but also much, much better than the R4. The R4 had overheating problems because of bad quality fans and some bad engineering choices, the R5 is an exceptional case and better than the R4 in every way.

Also, to quote myself from earlier:

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Also avoid buying from SuperBiiz and OutletPC, they are not licensed resellers and do some really shady stuff.

Good luck with your build. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

I gave my friend my old dell PC which I souped up. He wants to replace either the CPU or the video card to increase performance in gaming.

The CPU is a Intel core i5 cpu 2.80 GHz

The video card is a Radeon HD 7950

Which one should he upgrade to see the biggest performance increase?