Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Solumin posted:

Double posting because it's been like 8 hours:
I'm very pleased to announce that the Fusion Calculator is now using data pulled directly from the game! That's right, we're using their own knowledge against them!
Special thanks to duke1102, a member of the YGO:FM romhacking community, for providing the data.

Nice one!

Did duke1102 tell you how he got it? I know he said it was from the game's executable but could he use a similar method to get, for instance, the DotR data? I don't trust all those untested fusions in the current DotR data considering they were submitted by bleary-eyed YGO fans back in 2003 and collected by someone who says right in the FAQ that he/she was tired of the game.

I have not done any rom hacking but I would imagine PS2 rom hacking is different than ps1 rom hacking. Might be easier though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Yeah from experience the DotR guide has a lot of incorrectly assumed FM holdovers and a lot missing. I'd love to see the game datamined.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Cathode Raymond posted:

Nice one!

Did duke1102 tell you how he got it? I know he said it was from the game's executable but could he use a similar method to get, for instance, the DotR data? I don't trust all those untested fusions in the current DotR data considering they were submitted by bleary-eyed YGO fans back in 2003 and collected by someone who says right in the FAQ that he/she was tired of the game.

I have not done any rom hacking but I would imagine PS2 rom hacking is different than ps1 rom hacking. Might be easier though.

duke1102 posted:

With Forbidden Memories the Card Data was simply stored inside the PSX Executable and readable with a character table. This said, I have to give credit to the brazilian YGO! FM Romhacking Community for their FM Card tool, which gave me a bunch of information for extracting the data.

It should be possible to do something similar for DotR, and I'm tempted to start diving into it myself.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

So how moddable is Forbidden Memories? Can you add more duels and plot parts, or 'just' modify the card pool?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
SO now that I am getting back into Yu-Gi-Oh, I went out and bought some packs and here are is the result:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5hw-0clG8M

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Byzantine posted:

So how moddable is Forbidden Memories? Can you add more duels and plot parts, or 'just' modify the card pool?

I'm sure it's all moddable on some level but adding duels and especially plot parts is almost certainly going to be more trouble than it's worth. You would have to find/make new art assets if you wanted novel character portraits, for instance, and you would have to be really familiar with ps1 roms. It would be easier and more straightforward to make your own multiplayer collectible card game that runs in a web browser, IMO. And it would probably turn out a lot better than this.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

What's the problem, that any fanmade assets would be too good and clash?

TiamosLoren
Apr 20, 2013

Tunicate posted:

What's the problem, that any fanmade assets would be too good and clash?

Let's be honest here, putting anything fan-made into this shitshow of a game would be an insult to the fans who made the art at this point.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

CrashScreen posted:

Wouldn't a really easy method of improving the difficulty curve of Forbidden Memories to simply be improving the drop rate of decent cards and matching them to the type of card the opponent plays?

Since it's so Attack points heavy, the increment should be a lot more gradual as well. Like increasing by no more than 300 or so after the previous duel. It puts the opponent slightly stronger than you, but fusion is the edge you can both exploit to one-up each other, as well as spells.

You are right. Your suggestions SHOULD be implemented into an improved Forbidden Memories.

I think there is more you would have to do to address the game's main problems, though. Assuming that Rex Raptor uses an average of 800 Atk monsters, and then each duel increases the next opponent's Atk rating by 300...Pegasus still ends up with an average of 2300 Atk, like he does in the vanilla game. And if the card drops are improved, that WOULD do wonders for helping the game go a little faster...but it wouldn't solve it's fundamental problems.

That's why I included that really long paragraph of things that I would do in the :spergin: paragraph about how the game could be great. The player needs more options period, if the game is going to challenge the player so much. Have the Millenium items give you special powers during each duel, let the player choose one of FIVE possible cards after the end of each duel, DO SOMETHING with the exploration segments of the game, let there be obtainable cards inside optional dungeons that you can go into, have a secondary money system in addition to the Star Chip system (that way, Card Shops are actual Card Shops), have there be card trades with randomly generated NPC's, get rid of the pointlessly complicated POW/TEC system (and instead, just give each opponent the best of all three drop tables), increase the boosts that one gets from the Elemental Star system...maybe even have random encounters with monsters (you just destroy the monster(s), not Life Points. Yes, you'd get Star Chips from it/them.)

So rather than simplifying the game, you're creating more ways in which the player can approach it. And ideally, you wouldn't introduce all these options all at once; instead, you would gradually gain access to more and more of them as the game progresses. This is part of how I'd deal with the "saminess" problem that I mentioned in the last wall of text I wrote. Because if you JUST lower this game's difficulty...you're just going to end up with a more boring game. Less frustrating, but still boring.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 19, 2016

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Solumin posted:

It should be possible to do something similar for DotR, and I'm tempted to start diving into it myself.

I actually made a "hard mode" of DOTR using the info on this page. All I've been able to edit are CPU decks and the starter decks, but I've been dying for a way to make the game more difficult so I jumped at the chance to do so. (Needs a little more testing before I release it though) Now if I could edit the card fusions that'd be even more fun.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Yu-Gi-Oh: Forbidden Memories in a nutshell. I thought you all would probably appreciate this :cheeky:

Ephraim225 posted:

I actually made a "hard mode" of DOTR using the info on this page. All I've been able to edit are CPU decks and the starter decks, but I've been dying for a way to make the game more difficult so I jumped at the chance to do so. (Needs a little more testing before I release it though) Now if I could edit the card fusions that'd be even more fun.

Yeah...I actually would've included Duelist of the Roses in the "too easy" category...except, I wasn't sure what all determined your starting deck. I think it has something to do with your name? It's not likely that every starting deck would be as OP as the one used in speed runs, so I didn't want to be too hasty.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Aug 20, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Fionordequester posted:

Yu-Gi-Oh: Forbidden Memories in a nutshell. I thought you all would probably appreciate this :cheeky:

Yeah...I actually would've included Duelist of the Roses in the "too easy" category...except, I wasn't sure what all determined your starting deck. I think it has something to do with your name? It's not likely that every starting deck would be as OP as the one used in speed runs, so I didn't want to be too hasty.

Your name does in fact determine your starting deck.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Fionordequester posted:

Yeah, it's your name. There are 17 possible starter decks, and depending on your name you will be offered a choice of three of them

It's very possible to win duels with any of the three, but they also fell into the trap of forcing you to pick a deck at the beginning. Before you actually know anything about what goes into a good deck. I know what goes in a good deck though, so I handed that over to the opponents :D

I gave Joey Meteor Black Dragons. Holy crap he's good at using them

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Ephraim225 posted:

I gave Joey Meteor Black Dragons. Holy crap he's good at using them

:stonk: Do I want to know what you did to the final boss? :ohdear:

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

AlphaKretin posted:

:stonk: Do I want to know what you did to the final boss? :ohdear:

Oh relax, it's just a Shapesnatch deck, there isn't a thing to worry about.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

You can definitely see the original rules in the very old monsters like this. In the very first iteration of the real-world card game, there was no tributing (Just like in the manga until Battle City); instead the monsters' stars were how the winner was decided, as there was no Life Points system.

"Each player counts the total Level Stars of all monsters that they destroyed. The player with the highest amount is declared the winner. "

Summoned Skull is a five-star, while Dark Magician is a seven-star, despite having the same attack power - it was a bigger victory to kill a Dark Magician.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

giver336 posted:

Actually, I was still on the fence about it. Though, I wanted to ask some questions if anyone here has actually played it.
If you're still on the fence about what game to LP next, you could always do MM StarForce 1. That never actually got finished or archived, apparently, and if you knew even half as much about that game as you did BN3, it'd be really informative.
That, and even if the combat is a watered down version of the original system, virus busting is much more skill based than praying to RNGesus.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
megaman battle chip gp

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

don't poo poo your pants

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

megaman battle chip gp

Oh god.
He would totally do it.
And it would be great.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

megaman battle chip gp
Oh hey, I have that game. I was never able to beat it, though. Granted, I haven't played it in like 8 years or so, but still.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

megaman battle chip gp

Wait, Battle Chip Challenge?

That game is insanely easy, the complete opposite of this game.

Literally all you have to do is keep your HP low and use Muramasa correctly to destroy all opponents. The AI is too stupid to know how to deal with it.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I don't think he'd be opposed to a break after this game. God knows how much grinding he's doing and god knows he's too stubborn to hax multiples of every card he needs for the last stretch of the game.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Kemix posted:

I don't think he'd be opposed to a break after this game. God knows how much grinding he's doing and god knows he's too stubborn to hax multiples of every card he needs for the last stretch of the game.

It wouldn't be a break. To obtain the final playable character, you have to do a... I want to say 100 battle chain?

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered

megaman battle chip gp

At least he didn't say N1 Battle which is a shittier version of Battle Chip Challenge.

Solumin posted:

Double posting because it's been like 8 hours:
I'm very pleased to announce that the Fusion Calculator is now using data pulled directly from the game! That's right, we're using their own knowledge against them!
Special thanks to duke1102, a member of the YGO:FM romhacking community, for providing the data.

More effort than what the game designers ever put in.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
This thread made me want to go buy that gba game from my childhood and spend far too much time on card games again. Thank you

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Herr Tog posted:

This thread made me want to go buy that gba game from my childhood and spend far too much time on card games again. Thank you

Be sure to reference this speed run then...

Yu-Gi-Oh: Reshef of Destruction in 2 hours, 35 minutes, and 24 seconds

And yes, this run abuses the RNG. In fact, there is a full route already in the video description for both the English AND the Japanese version. Be warned though; this involves going without saving for large chunks of the run.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug

Herr Tog posted:

Thanks to this thread I actually started playing World Championship 2008 for the first time, and it is pretty fun! Seems pretty balanced from what I can tell, I have had games where I stomp and games where I am stomped, but otherwise they are usually pretty even.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
gently caress both of you for trying to pull me in

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

giver336 posted:

More effort than what the game designers ever put in.

I'm probably having more fun, too :haw:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I'm mauling over doing Reshief of Destruction myself...I even bought the (admitably useless) strategy guide...god help me when I DO play it.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Oh man, I had this game as a kid. I remember somehow stumbling my way through the tournament without knowing what I was doing, but then I lost horribly to the lesser meadow mage and just called it quits. It's neat to see what the rest of the game is like, but I definitely wasn't expecting near as much BS as the game is throwing out.

giver336
Dec 28, 2013

It's time to d-d-d-d-
get murdered

Last Update Posted on August 16th posted:

The next update won't start until I've grinded for a couple of weeks to get the cards I need. I'm serious.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
did that card just change on its own? Is the game cheating too? what the gently caress

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Now now, TO BE FAIR...you're fighting Seto 3rd right now. Screwing the rules is kind of his thing.

Herr Tog posted:

did that card just change on its own? Is the game cheating too? what the gently caress

Yyyep! The A.I. in this game can swap out it's cards whenever it wants to. So if the guy's got, say...4 Blue Eyes Ultimate Dragons; it can exchange it's cards for it four times.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Hmm. Hmm. Indeed.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

"Did you just swap a card in your hand for another card?"

"Yeah, so?"

"That's against the rules!"

"SCREW THE RULES, THIS IS YU-GI-OH FORBIDDEN MEMORIES"

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Oh, so THIS was the inspiration for the Zexal protagonist's blatant cheating special power!

GawainStark
Apr 9, 2016
Wow. That explains Isis summoning Blue Eyes Shining Dragon on the first turn six duels in a row in FM 2. Also Giver you are a mad man for grinding that hard just for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Other than the actual card game, what's the best YGO video game?

Every DS and PSP game pretty much.

• Locked thread