Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

They're the most effective way I've found to get all the crap out of your ears that a Q-tip misses.

go and get it done professionally sometime with one of those teeny vacuums, holy poo poo

you can hear everything afterwards and the feeling of air being sucked into the back of your throat and out through your head is super bizarre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

So I took some 3M foam ear plugs from work to try out on my commute home and holy crap was there a big difference between those and my etymotic silicon ones.

Ordering a giant thing of 3M foam now.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Keegers posted:

So I took some 3M foam ear plugs from work to try out on my commute home and holy crap was there a big difference between those and my etymotic silicon ones.

Ety ER20s are my go-to for bars, shows that aren't too loud, movies, etc. but they don't fit safely inside a helmet.

Sagebrush posted:

go and get it done professionally sometime with one of those teeny vacuums, holy poo poo

you can hear everything afterwards and the feeling of air being sucked into the back of your throat and out through your head is super bizarre

I really want to. I'm about to change doctors and I think I'll do it soon.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Aug 25, 2018

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Did you get my gift?

I just opened the box. You ABSOLUTE MONSTER hahaha. Made my day.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Quite A Tool posted:

Y’all being party poopers about exhausts. Straight pipes are indeed dumb but I think it’s safe to assume we’re all enthusiasts and aftermarket pipes are fun and sound cool (for the most part).

I’ll be putting a pipe on my VFR next week and hopefully you won’t clutch your pearls so hard you rip off the necklace if I ride by.

I pulled the db killer from my wings shorty on my KTM 1290 SAR and it sounds way better :hellyeah:

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Keegers posted:

Just get the regular size! Huge earplugs do not reduce more noise, and may in fact not fit in your ear at all!

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

How reliable is KTM as a brand? I've sort if fallen in love with the RC390 but all the videos and reviews talk about the ride not the maintenance.

I expect it won't be as good as Honda, my other current favorite (CB500f) but I don't want a BMW or Ducati maintenance cycle.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They use a spark plug that costs thirty dollars, super expensive oil and things fall off a lot, they're also somewhat prickly to work on which doesn't really matter unless you're paying someone else to do it. KTM in general are just as European as Ducati or BMW but in their own particular way.

Basically if maintenance cost is a concern for you just buy a Japanese bike.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I like how the husqvarna bikes are just luxury versions of KTM bikes

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

In my limited experience BMW parts are expensive as poo poo, but at least they are reasonably reliable. They have had a few recalls here and there, but I have not heard anywhere near the level of complaining about them as KTMs. Some folks on these very forums mentioned issues like bike stalling randomly after starting at a light or something along those lines, an issue that some internet wizards diagnosed as one's butt hitting some electrical connection just under the seat or other such similar nonsense. From what I can tell, they are no MV Agusta or other boutique brands, but you are not going to have easy inexpensive maintenance.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

what’s the most cyberpunk bike? i need something to dream about. the ninja 250 is more than i need now but i need goals.

my current favorite is the zrx1100

this one is a cutie. i wanna get kawaii af and go all bousouzouko and be a street samurai. i like ujm’s with square headlights.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Casual Encountess posted:

what’s the most cyberpunk bike? i need something to dream about. the ninja 250 is more than i need now but i need goals.

this one is a cutie. i wanna get kawaii af and go all bousouzouko and be a street samurai. i like ujm’s with square headlights.

http://raresportbikesforsale.com/absolutely-bitchin-blackl-and-pink-1992-suzuki-gsx-r-750/

alr
May 14, 2009

what’s the most cyberpunk bike?

Katana with the flippy headlight, imo

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Bimot tesi 3d is a contender

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Vyrus is pretty punky, especially the Moto 2 bike nobody had the sack to try racing.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

what’s a bike i’m not going to kill myself on tho

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

what’s a bike i’m not going to kill myself on tho

The one you don't ride! So Italian hotness is perfect. It's just gonna seat there broken all the time.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Oh right you mean actual bikes to actually ride.

CB400F by a country mile, no contest. Best looks, best ride, best size/power/friendlyness triangle, great sound, honda quality and reliability.

Or you can actually buy something old from the era these bikes are imitating but be warned: all old bikes are horrible garbage compared to every propduct you've ever bought, you'll spend more time fixing than riding, they're inherently more dangerous for novice riders because of the terrible brakes/tyres/suspension and they tend to be super heavy too. Constant leaks, randomly not starting, minor annoying electrical faults were all normal bike behaviour 40 years ago when those bikes were new, let alone now.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Slavvy posted:

They use a spark plug that costs thirty dollars

Wait is this an exaggeration?

Because even in Prisonisland dollars this is hilarious. I'm glad my minivan doesn't require those things.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My buy price from the supplier for an LKAR8AI-9 is $18nzd, RRP $32.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Some iridium plugs are that much yeah. My understanding is iridium is kinda pointless though?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

captainOrbital posted:

Wait is this an exaggeration?

Because even in Prisonisland dollars this is hilarious. I'm glad my minivan doesn't require those things.

MV wanted ~$90 for air filter. Does this help?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Slavvy posted:

CB400F by a country mile, no contest. Best looks, best ride, best size/power/friendlyness triangle, great sound, honda quality and reliability.

It's a tragedy that's not sold in canada/USA

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Some iridium plugs are that much yeah. My understanding is iridium is kinda pointless though?

Yup. But you can't get a conventional equivalent to that plug because KTM is the only vehicle that use them, they've got really unusual thread/hex dimensions.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

mewse posted:

It's a tragedy that's not sold in canada/USA

:same:

I love that bike, but I'll probably end up with a 500.

It's my understanding that it exists for nations with different insurance or licensing for bikes over 400cc, so they tried to milk all the power they could out of that displacement.

And in the US, it's just not necessary, so they just sell 300 and 500.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Alpha Phoenix posted:

:same:

I love that bike, but I'll probably end up with a 500.

It's my understanding that it exists for nations with different insurance or licensing for bikes over 400cc, so they tried to milk all the power they could out of that displacement.

And in the US, it's just not necessary, so they just sell 300 and 500.

CB500F styling is garbage compared to that bike

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

It's not as good but garbage is a stretch.

I'm sad about the KTM reliability news though, because that style is gorgeous, especially when repainted.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

KTMs rule. my dirtbikes have been every bit as reliable as my honda dirtbikes. I've had my 1290 SAR and SAS for a few months and have a combined total of ~6500 miles on them so idk about reliability, but I didn't have to take it to the dealer like I did with the BMW GSA to clear the stupid service light

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

right arm posted:

KTMs rule. my dirtbikes have been every bit as reliable as my honda dirtbikes. I've had my 1290 SAR and SAS for a few months and have a combined total of ~6500 miles on them so idk about reliability, but I didn't have to take it to the dealer like I did with the BMW GSA to clear the stupid service light

buy the GS-911 to clear the light, or put a piece of tape over it on the dash. At least with the BMW you can buy something to do it - you can't even do that on a Ducati

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Jazzzzz posted:

buy the GS-911 to clear the light, or put a piece of tape over it on the dash. At least with the BMW you can buy something to do it - you can't even do that on a Ducati

dude. thank you. i haaaaaate dealerships :tipshat:

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

KTM isn't even on this list :(

https://wwaw.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/04/who-makes-the-most-reliable-motorcycle/index.htm

Reliablity by brand [The predicted failure rates for four-year-old motorcycles]
Brand Percent failed
Yamaha/Star 11%
Suzuki 12%
Honda 12%
Kawasaki 15%
Victory 17%
Harley-Davidson 26%
Triumph 29%
Ducati 33%
BMW 40%
Can-Am 42%

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Gotta be honest, I'm kind of amazed any of the Japanese big 4 have that high rates.

What constitutes a failure? There's a world of difference between a battery going dead because the bike hasn't been ridden in 6 months and the gearbox munching itself to death, for example.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Aug 29, 2018

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Alpha Phoenix posted:

KTM isn't even on this list :(

https://wwaw.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/04/who-makes-the-most-reliable-motorcycle/index.htm

Reliablity by brand [The predicted failure rates for four-year-old motorcycles]
Brand Percent failed
Yamaha/Star 11%
Suzuki 12%
Honda 12%
Kawasaki 15%
Victory 17%
Harley-Davidson 26%
Triumph 29%
Ducati 33%
BMW 40%
Can-Am 42%

KTM makes like 5 street bikes. Not surprising they arent on here. If you want a ktm get a ktm. Theyre fine and as Ive said previously the worst thing Ive had go wrong with either of mine was an ecu reprogram to clear a bug that was covered under warranty.

They are more expensive to maintain than japanese bikes however.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Ctrl-i

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Coydog posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Worlds-Finest-Plug-2-Pair-Travel/dp/B003FZ8CVG

This is the ear plug solution you are looking for. Just give em a try before writing them off. They block far more noise than foamies. So much that I can't wear them to concerts because it's eiry how far away the music sounds.

Aight, I got these, but I am kinda scared of putting them in. It seems really easy to end up with a bunch of this stuff stuck in your ear as it's not hard to separate bits of goop off. How do you actually put them in and take them out? Is there a video?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

pokie posted:

Aight, I got these, but I am kinda scared of putting them in. It seems really easy to end up with a bunch of this stuff stuck in your ear as it's not hard to separate bits of goop off. How do you actually put them in and take them out? Is there a video?

Just mash them in. It's fine.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah, even when they're good and hot, they stay together really well. The cotton fiber holds everything together, and I have to work at it to break chunks off.
And don't get carried away with shaping them ahead of time to fit down your ear canal, just stick them in and keep mashing until you can't hear good.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Alpha Phoenix posted:

How reliable is KTM as a brand? I've sort if fallen in love with the RC390 but all the videos and reviews talk about the ride not the maintenance.

I expect it won't be as good as Honda, my other current favorite (CB500f) but I don't want a BMW or Ducati maintenance cycle.

My year with a KTM 690 taught me that they are actually pretty reliable. The only issues I ever had stemmed from vibrations, and were few and far between. I was pretty abusive to it, and it never let me down. One of the most reliable bikes I've had, in fact.

Unfortunately it didn't always FEEL that way because,

pokie posted:

Some folks on these very forums mentioned issues like bike stalling randomly after starting at a light

Which was probably a poorly calibrated throttle body stop, since I tried literally everything else.

I sold it because it turns out a 96 suzuki dirtbike is better and more satisfying than a 690 at every single thing except power wheelies. And it does those, too.

pokie posted:

builds character posted:

Just mash them in. It's fine.

Pretty much this. They are way fast to get in properly than foamies. Just make sure you clean your earlobe and ears regularly, like a normal clean human being.

To remove them, don't dig them out. Just press the back of your ear and they will pop out. They firm up over time, too, so don't be afraid to work em around a bit if needed.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Coydog posted:

To remove them, don't dig them out. Just press the back of your ear and they will pop out. They firm up over time, too, so don't be afraid to work em around a bit if needed.

Interesting. When you have them in, are they completely inside your ear hole?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

pokie posted:

Interesting. When you have them in, are they completely inside your ear hole?

For me, no. I just mash them into place and it makes a seal all around the ear hole. Maybe a little nub goes in but it’s almost all outside. Unlike, for example, the foam ones.