Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 16 days!)

all those south Asians died for nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

get that OUT of my face posted:

qatar's supposed to be losing the 2022 world cup. if that does happen, how much of that is because of the saudis? because i'm sure that FIFA doesn't really care about thousands of slaves dying to build stuff

lol why bother now, just four years out

they were awarded the cup eight years ago, that they're using slave labor is not news

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

lol why bother now, just four years out

they were awarded the cup eight years ago, that they're using slave labor is not news

Bigger bribe was received from KSA, so it will be moved there.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Horseshoe theory posted:

Bigger bribe was received from KSA, so it will be moved there.
the word is that England or USA might host instead. regardless, i don't think that it's being moved due to slave labor. if it were, FIFA would have put a stop to that as soon as the first news stories came out

i'm gonna bet geopolitics are at play here

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

FIFA doesn't give a poo poo about slave labor, but it does give a poo poo about one of its show dogs dying of heat exposure on the field in front of an international audience

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

FIFA doesn't give a poo poo about slave labor, but it does give a poo poo about one of its show dogs dying of heat exposure on the field in front of an international audience

If they cared about that they would have done something about the rampant blood doping by now. Players are already dropping dead on the field in the top leagues. It's entirely sponsors/tv deals/time zone issues.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

the word is that England or USA might host instead.
The UK is gonna crash out of the EU, and somehow manage to make it literally impossible for half the teams to even enter the UK legally. They will be the lucky ones.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
the odds of the world cup being welcome in the usa in 2022 are slim for similar reasons

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I think they moved it to the winter?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I think they moved it to the winter?

Which is probably the problem, the major European leagues aren't exactly happy about having to halt competition for weeks because FIFA decided to award the World Cup to a country that's too sunny

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Yeah the euros are throwing a hissy fit over the schedule and have been trying to get them moved to somewhere else (england or the US) for years now. The only reason that England and USA are listed is because they can do it on short notice without having to build the stadiums for it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Peanut President posted:

Yeah the euros are throwing a hissy fit over the schedule and have been trying to get them moved to somewhere else (england or the US) for years now. The only reason that England and USA are listed is because they can do it on short notice without having to build the stadiums for it.
I was gonna suggest they put it in Russia again, but I'm not sure the stadiums built for this year's world cup will be safe in 4 years.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/RT_com/status/967889443766939648

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

when you think about it there's nothing more modest than a ghillie suit

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

I think this was based on a mistranslation, from what I hear it was actually meant to be the Police Forces because of the fact that women are going to be driving soon.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

They let women fight in ISIS so...

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

lol

https://twitter.com/ronanburtenshaw/status/971334420006350849

https://twitter.com/ashcowburn/status/971297231595765766

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

The biggest loving crime is the fact that it's the loving American Enterprise Institute that's getting funding to do this marketing gently caress my life.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I suspect that yeah the proximate cause of Qatar loosing the world cup was saudi bribes, but the slave labor served to give an excuse.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

reignonyourparade posted:

I suspect that yeah the proximate cause of Qatar loosing the world cup was saudi bribes, but the slave labor served to give an excuse.

Pors paying people to call kettles black

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

reignonyourparade posted:

wait they actually lost the world cup

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

wait they actually lost the world cup

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

why is this guy so surprised that the british government doesn't care about Saudi Arabia starving out ethnic groups they don't like?

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/971772965888188421?s=19

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lool https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txzyLiOl4rs

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/LinaArabii/status/980890846810836997

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
So is MbS running in 2020 or what?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

TrilliontonNixon posted:

So is MbS running in 2020 or what?

from the ruin he brought to his own kingdom, yes

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I'd be amazed if he's alive by 2020, or at least not in exile

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I'd be amazed if he's alive by 2020, or at least not in exile

He’s staying for a while. Saudis are an extrmely servile cowardly bunch.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

no gays in iran, no wahhabists in saudi arabia

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
https://twitter.com/shadowandact/status/981886745599008768

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

We did it folks we hit peak woke

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
the end is rewritten so the palace coup succeeds and killmonger goes on an american press tour

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

but the first movie they played was the emoji movie :thunk:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/emoji-movie-saudi-arabia-cinemas-theatres-ban-35-years-a8161401.html

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

The Emoji Movie - Lowbrow entertainment for plebs
The Black Panther Film - Highbrow cinema for the elite

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

LinYutang posted:

the end is rewritten so the palace coup succeeds and killmonger goes on an american press tour

wow spoilers

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

probably not a good idea to open up with a movie about black animists in Arabia.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

LinYutang posted:

killmonger was the good guy though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

killmonger was the good guy though
Yeah, from what I've gathered about the movie, it lines up pretty well ideologically with MbS. Like, the basic conceit of the movie is an isolationist hereditary kingdom where the ruler has real executive power, is somehow compatible with progressive views like gender equality. Obviously it's not about Saudi Arabia though, but the liberal desire to live under a dictatorship which imposes liberal values at all levels of society, and uses its might to export that liberalism to the rest of the world.

• Locked thread