Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Agreed. Also, they desperately need another Kirkbride to give a bit of soul to their settings. Still, the way people just get turned into drones to build the temples reminds me a bit of amigahara fault, and that's a seriously interesting hook, just investigating what the gently caress is going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Why does that dunmer talk with that accent. Weird choice for not-Morrowind :psyduck:

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Wealth beyond measure, outlander

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Sweet, you're finally doing the Dragonborn expansion. I hope Hjalti keeps up with the Relics of Ahzidal quest.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Mountaineer posted:

Sweet, you're finally doing the Dragonborn expansion. I hope Hjalti keeps up with the Relics of Ahzidal quest.

I certainly will! I've avoided spoilering myself about (most) Dragonborn quests thusfar, but I did look through some of the rewards and work backwards from the good ones to learn how to get them (without reading any story content). That way I hope to be able to keep up my usual strategy advice angle.This quest seems like one of the best-rewarded of all.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm a tiny bit disappointed you didn't explore the town a little. But there's time for some relaxing and n'wah flavored sweetrolls later.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Day 64: Doomsday Plot IV

I asked Mara not to tell me anything about the story before I played through it. Then Miraak told me exactly what he's doing.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Everyone knows villains like to smugly monologue at you.

quote:

“Something Vimes had learned as a young guard drifted up from memory. If you have to look along the shaft of an arrow from the wrong end, if a man has you entirely at his mercy, then hope like hell that man is an evil man. Because the evil like power, power over people, and they want to see you in fear. They want you to know you're going to die. So they'll talk. They'll gloat.

They'll watch you squirm. They'll put off the moment of murder like another man will put off a good cigar.

So hope like hell your captor is an evil man. A good man will kill you with hardly a word.”

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I forget what comes immdiately after the Temple of Miraak, but I honestly can't recall any bad dungeons or busywork quests, so it's probably something decent.

Dragon Aspect doesn't boost shouts at all until you get the third word, which increases shout damage by 25% and duration by 50% where applicable, on top of a 20% cooldown reduction.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Dragon Aspect doesn't boost shouts at all until you get the third word, which increases shout damage by 25% and duration by 50% where applicable, on top of a 20% cooldown reduction.

That sounds really great; I'll need to make sure I get the other words of Dragon Aspect, wherever they are.

That would make an 80% cooldown reduction in total, so this last boost will effectively halve my cooldowns. Something like Storm Call might become viable!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Melth posted:

Something like Storm Call might become viable!
Woah let's not get too crazy here.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Use that power to hang out with your buddies Durnehviir and Odahviing at the same time.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Mountaineer posted:

Use that power to hang out with your buddies Durnehviir and Odahviing at the same time.

And then the storm call!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Yay, I finally caught up!

Oh no, the thread seems dead!

QUID PRO BONO
Nov 23, 2007

What am I wearing? What are you wearing, Richard?
Just watched through all of this over the last three or so weeks, which was a great salve for my mental health during COVID, the world-eater. Thanks, Melth, for spurring me to put in another 100 hours into Skyrim--first time since it came out. I think I got through the first summiting of Hrothgar and then never continued the main quest (or even started civil war) on my first 150 hours. (Speaking of: also was inspired to read through two translations of Beowulf, Douglas Wilson's and Frederick Rebsamen's. Do you have a preference amongst the lot?)

Managed to stay deathless until about level 10 with my Legendary mage. Died to that fort of mages trying to get bound bow (and then didn't even have enough mana to cast it when I did get it).

Was very glad to get to Blackreach (and Solstheim) before I got to those points in your vids because :eyepop:.

QUID PRO BONO fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 2, 2020

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

QUID PRO BONO posted:

Just watched through all of this over the last three or so weeks, which was a great salve for my mental health during COVID, the world-eater. Thanks, Melth, for spurring me to put in another 100 hours into Skyrim--first time since it came out. I think I got through the first summiting of Hrothgar and then never continued the main quest (or even started civil war) on my first 150 hours. (Speaking of: also was inspired to read through two translations of Beowulf, Douglas Wilson's and Frederick Rebsamen's. Do you have a preference amongst the lot?)

Managed to stay deathless until about level 10 with my Legendary mage. Died to that fort of mages trying to get bound bow (and then didn't even have enough mana to cast it when I did get it).

Was very glad to get to Blackreach (and Solstheim) before I got to those points in your vids because :eyepop:.

Glad you like it!

Schwartzcough posted:

Yay, I finally caught up!

Oh no, the thread seems dead!

It's just sleeping! I actually recorded another episode a few days ago but I haven't uploaded it yet. I've got one for Age of Mythology too, but I'm hoping to have a buffer for each series before I resume so that I don't leave people hanging again.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
I don't think I've posted in the thread before, but chiming in to say that I've missed this LP!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

yay

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Well this is a pleasant surprise!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Good to see this isn't dead. I do need to catch up with the LP though, and should probably just re-watch from the beginning because it's been so long, so a short hiatus while you build up a backlog works perfectly!

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

So what's the take on the Creation Club?

Alzion
Dec 31, 2006
Technically a '06

Melth posted:

Glad you like it!

It's just sleeping! I actually recorded another episode a few days ago but I haven't uploaded it yet. I've got one for Age of Mythology too, but I'm hoping to have a buffer for each series before I resume so that I don't leave people hanging again.

Buffer! We don't need no buffer! So, what I'm trying to say is...

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Covski posted:

I don't think I've posted in the thread before, but chiming in to say that I've missed this LP!

Thanks!

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

So what's the take on the Creation Club?

I've never used any of the stuff from it. My understanding was that I would basically have to re-buy the game to have access to it, which seemed silly to me, so I haven't done so.

As much as I like Skyrim, I can't say I'm pleased by what strike me as attempts to sell the same game again and again.

Alzion posted:

Buffer! We don't need no buffer! So, what I'm trying to say is...

Here's one! Day 64-65: Lurkers & Horkers

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Horkers are apparently specced into stealth. Didn't anyone tell them this is a no stealth run?

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

QUID PRO BONO posted:

(Speaking of: also was inspired to read through two translations of Beowulf, Douglas Wilson's and Frederick Rebsamen's. Do you have a preference amongst the lot?)

I'm partial to Seamus Heaney's

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

There's a fairly recent Tolkein one as well.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

There's a fairly recent Tolkein one as well.

Oh I'll bet that one is pretty good! I remember liking his essay about Beowulf, and I also greatly enjoyed his version of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
I figured a barrow would be a familiar dungeon experience full of draugr to practice my new restoration spell on. Boy was I wrong!

Day 65: The Spider Provider

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Now Hjalti knows he must scour the island for a resist fire/boost fire mask.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

I have to admit that while it certainly goes against the spirit of the challenge, it's more interesting to watch when fights don't take so long. Skyrim legendary difficult is not super well designed.

Glad this is back regardless.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Qrr posted:

I have to admit that while it certainly goes against the spirit of the challenge, it's more interesting to watch when fights don't take so long. Skyrim legendary difficult is not super well designed.

Glad this is back regardless.

I agree. I had a ton more fun when I was playing on that experimental character with that damage altering mod.

After fiddling around with various settings, I don't think there's actually one single toughness multiplier for enemies that makes for good, challenging gameplay though.

On default damage, 75% of the enemies are so fragile that you can kill them in just a hit or two. Which means that even if they did infinite damage they would still pose very little threat because it's trivial to either distract or out-range or stunlock them for a couple of seconds, at the end of which they are dead without ever having a chance to even try to attack you.

But on the other hand, even on adept some enemies (like big frostbite spiders) are so durable as to be really boring to fight.

So I actually like the x25% legendary damage multiplier against basic enemies like bandits and bandit outlaws because it means that I have to strategize and manage resources in order to last long enough to kill them.

But it's just a boring grind against something that's already ultra-durable. I'd rather those take full damage, or maybe even more damage.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Melth posted:

I agree. I had a ton more fun when I was playing on that experimental character with that damage altering mod.

After fiddling around with various settings, I don't think there's actually one single toughness multiplier for enemies that makes for good, challenging gameplay though.

On default damage, 75% of the enemies are so fragile that you can kill them in just a hit or two. Which means that even if they did infinite damage they would still pose very little threat because it's trivial to either distract or out-range or stunlock them for a couple of seconds, at the end of which they are dead without ever having a chance to even try to attack you.

But on the other hand, even on adept some enemies (like big frostbite spiders) are so durable as to be really boring to fight.

So I actually like the x25% legendary damage multiplier against basic enemies like bandits and bandit outlaws because it means that I have to strategize and manage resources in order to last long enough to kill them.

But it's just a boring grind against something that's already ultra-durable. I'd rather those take full damage, or maybe even more damage.

If you want to change the terms of the lets play at this point, I don't think anyone will begrudge it. Lurkers in particular are stupid and tedious to fight on the top two difficulty tiers within the parameters you set out. They have an ungodly amount of health, and as you noticed, they regenerate. There are a couple of lurker fights that I remember being interesting and challenging, but far more they just made me groan to see them.

I wonder if there's a mod out there that lets you toggle the damage reduction on the fly? Or change the difficulty for certain enemy types.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
I forgot to post the next episode when I first uploaded it- just as well since it turned out a bug in my editing software had broken the audio in the second half. I've fixed that now.

Here it is!

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Wacky question for you!

If you were running full crafting, which of the game's default unique items would still be worth it?

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Wacky question for you!

If you were running full crafting, which of the game's default unique items would still be worth it?

That's a very good question.The short answer is none of them really, but there are a couple that are unique enough in their effects that they could situationally be better than a higher magnitude conventional powerup.

Shout cooldown reduction is impossible to craft, and therefore an Amulet of Talos and Morokei could continue to have niche roles. Shouting in general would be less valuable though since I could easily cast any spell for free as often as I wanted.

That staff of Jyrik Gauldurson would continue to be somewhat useful because there is no way to craft a weapon that boosts magic regen (or does anything other than deal damage and soul trap people basically).

The Aetherial Crown (which I don't have on this run of course) would be decent but not amazing.

The Ring of the Erudite is off the charts level good at boosting magicka regen, vastly better than any craftable item. However, magicka regen doesn't matter at all if you cast everything for free, so it probably wouldn't be that good all in all.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

It's been so many years, but enchanting is powerful enough in Skyrim to make spells free, huh? I seem to remember it being much more limited in how broken things could get compared to, say, Morrowind.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
That is one of the very few broken things Skyrim enchanting does, other prominent one is alchemy looping. You can't do things like weakness to X 100%, X damage custom spell anymore which is a shame.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm pretty sure there's no etymological link between dragons and draugr. Norse dragons were referred to as ormr a word referring to both worms and serpents, comparable to the modern english worm and wyrm. Dragon similarly was a general term for serpents, originating in Greece.

Draugr is not a word whose etymology I've considered, but upon googling, it has never had any meaning beyond being a Norse revenant, and as best as anyone can tell it comes from an indo-European term for phantom.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm pretty sure there's no etymological link between dragons and draugr. Norse dragons were referred to as ormr a word referring to both worms and serpents, comparable to the modern english worm and wyrm. Dragon similarly was a general term for serpents, originating in Greece.

Draugr is not a word whose etymology I've considered, but upon googling, it has never had any meaning beyond being a Norse revenant, and as best as anyone can tell it comes from an indo-European term for phantom.

Thanks, that's interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
(Posting here so the thread doesn't auto-lock before I do the next video)