Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Or our rorquals just fight off the attackers by themselves. Since people are more willing to dick swing with stuff, we've gotten better at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Dumb outsider question, curious what the IRL origin stories of the current major alliances are besides GSF (SA) and Test (reddit)

Do any other major alliances or coalitions have origin forums or sites or did most of the affiliations happen in-game / more spontaneously?

The Cracked forums tried to get an EVE-group going, but they only got like 6 guys together and gave up impressively fast.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Crazycryodude posted:

That is a problem I've noticed, even though Delve is apparently a bustling economic chart-topper in like every category, the place still feels deserted when I fly around. We produce something absurd like a full 35% of the galaxy's mineral wealth in just this tiny corner of the game, don't we? That should feel more... I dunno, impactful? I know the game's really about getting in spaceship fights with your internet gang, but outside of battles the general atmosphere is just so empty.

99.999% of space is... space.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Libluini posted:

The Cracked forums tried to get an EVE-group going, but they only got like 6 guys together and gave up impressively fast.

So I take it that SA's Alliance style, sort of linked to forums membership, is more the exception than the rule?? Seems to be working for y'all tho

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

So I take it that SA's Alliance style, sort of linked to forums membership, is more the exception than the rule?? Seems to be working for y'all tho

It worked for SA and Reddit because both are full of grogs

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

spot the botters

That only shows that the invasion of the Chino-Korean comrades still hasn't happened :colbert:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pomp posted:

It worked for SA and Reddit because both are full of grogs

is a grog like a goober or a chud? If so, then I understand perfectly.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

is a grog like a goober or a chud? If so, then I understand perfectly.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Nah grog is short for grognard, originally a French word for a salty old soldier that now means the kind of nerd who spergs out over and dedicates large amounts of time to complex games, usually old or niche strategy/war games.

E: :argh: beaten :argh:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
in the context used above, grog is almost synonymous with poopsock(er), one who is willing to devote ridiculous amounts of time to stupid endeavours so much that they are unwilling to leave their posting station long enough to poop and so must relieve their bowels in a sock

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Oh, yeah, I forgot about the term.

I can't say I'm very fanatical (I mostly just play stuff like Into the Breach and FTL), but I do miss the heydays of RTS games circa 98-2003. A lot of good stuff in just a few years. I've recently been playing Dune 2000 and C&C Red Alert again on OpenRA and they're still so much fun.

That is to say that none of this even slightly pertains to EVE; I just found myself watching a bunch of EVE videos and reading about the histories the other day, and thread reactions to the Judge flip last year, and it was all kind of fascinating. Anyways, keep up the good work, goons! :ccp:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Tbf there probably is a large crossover between goobers chuds and grogs

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pomp posted:

Tbf there probably is a large crossover between goobers chuds and grogs

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Addamere posted:

in the context used above, grog is almost synonymous with poopsock(er), one who is willing to devote ridiculous amounts of time to stupid endeavours so much that they are unwilling to leave their posting station long enough to poop and so must relieve their bowels in a sock

oh poo poo the term "poopsockin'" had completely left my vocabulary for well over a year.

A grog is basically an adult sword owner, but for 19th-20th century European style swords instead of broad swords or katanas. An adult bayonet or sabre owner, if you will. Perhaps someone who wears exclusively military surplus gear.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Stupid Question: I'm thinking of joining GSF, but Delve is like 40 jumps from where I am though low-to-nul sec space. How do I get there without dying?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SardonicTyrant posted:

Stupid Question: I'm thinking of joining GSF, but Delve is like 40 jumps from where I am though low-to-nul sec space. How do I get there without dying?

sell your stuff, set your home to goonspace, self destruct pod; alternately, hop in a travelceptor and follow the yellow stargates

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SardonicTyrant posted:

Get a Victorieux Luxury Yacht. They only require Spaceship Command 1 to fly and they are immune to warp bubbles. They also have a warp and align speed comparable to a shuttle. You can not be caught:
https://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Victorieux_Luxury_Yacht

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Alternatively, you can reset your spawn location remotely once per year. If you don't mind spending that, set it to either

1DQ1-A - 1st Thetastar of Dickbutte to join in Delve, or better yet :
6RCQ-V - Proteinstar to join the war effort.

You'll only be able to do this once you're in Goonswarm.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I haven't played in years, does Gallente stuff still suck?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Addamere posted:

sell your stuff, set your home to goonspace, self destruct pod; alternately, hop in a travelceptor and follow the yellow stargates
I'm gonna try doing this, but I'll also take an Ilbis and see how far I can make it.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

EightBit posted:

Not particularly more than other stuff.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

EightBit posted:

Both the entry level ratting ship (Vexor Navy Issue) and preferred line battleship (megathron) are both gallente. Their supercarrier and carrier are best in class, while their triage ship (new force auxiliary ships) is pretty bad outside of niche small gang/wormhole poo poo.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Both the entry level ratting ship (Vexor Navy Issue) and preferred line battleship (megathron) are both gallente. Their supercarrier and carrier are best in class, while their triage ship (new force auxiliary ships) is pretty bad outside of niche small gang/wormhole poo poo.

Woah the mega is the bs of choice for fleets? I might rejoin and go on an op for that.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Woah the mega is the bs of choice for fleets? I might rejoin and go on an op for that.

did u miss the entire 2012 fountain war and everything since then? baltecs (or whatever they got rebranded after suas corp left) have been line ships for a long time

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Yep. Fleet combat for battleships has been all about alpha strike capability for years now. While this technically makes the maelstrom very good as well, the fact of the matter is that we bring way too many dudes and end up wasting a ton of damage with maelstroms. Not to mention, maelstroms are shield tanked, so they eat poo poo to bombs. Megas are armor tanked and have a tracking bonus, so between that and the higher fire rate (and range) of railguns, the fact that they don't individually alpha as hard is not a big deal.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Addamere posted:

did u miss the entire 2012 fountain war and everything since then? baltecs (or whatever they got rebranded after suas corp left) have been line ships for a long time

The name "baltec fleet" comes from baltec1, a guy who used to bring a megathron on every fleet, regardless of whether it was appropriate or not. We still call it that even though the actual dude baltec1 joined the half of Bat Country that ended up leaving for Pandemic Legion.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Hyperion is better but I guess Megathrons are pretty cool too. Not enough drone bandwidth.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The name "baltec fleet" comes from baltec1, a guy who used to bring a megathron on every fleet, regardless of whether it was appropriate or not. We still call it that even though the actual dude baltec1 joined the half of Bat Country that ended up leaving for Pandemic Legion.

i remember it being (i guess temporarily) given some other name in the immediate aftermath of the corp leaving for pl, cannot remember what

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rutibex posted:

Hyperion is better but I guess Megathrons are pretty cool too. Not enough drone bandwidth.

tracking is a big deal for actually hitting/applying damage

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Addamere posted:

i remember it being (i guess temporarily) given some other name in the immediate aftermath of the corp leaving for pl, cannot remember what

Yeah, grinder fleet or some poo poo. It didn't last long.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Addamere posted:

Yes i quit in like 2011.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yes i quit in like 2011.

Baltecfleet, unless it has changed since I played, relies on a mix of Megathrons (and in some iterations also Apocalypses) supported by a handful of smartbombing geddons, some snowflakes who insist on bringing their techfleet TFIs, armour logi, and some armour ewar like point proteus (tech-3 brick tanked gallente cruiser), web loki (tech-3 brick tanked minmatar cruiser), and no less than a dozen assholes flying cynabals who refuses to get in a useful ship

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Addamere posted:

tracking is a big deal for actually hitting/applying damage

Yeah, especially in a meta that appears to be preferring HACs like muninns, who have a small sig and an MWD bloom reduction bonus. I don't actually know if muninns are any good nowadays, but it seems like they are all that hostiles fly.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yeah, especially in a meta that appears to be preferring HACs like muninns, who have a small sig and an MWD bloom reduction bonus. I don't actually know if muninns are any good nowadays, but it seems like they are all that hostiles fly.

:member: when elo knight came on goonfleet comms that one time and somehow messed up his local bind so that instead of broadcasting to parent it broadcast to the entire server so everyone got to listen to a one-sided conversation of him regaling mittens with tales of his muninn adventures

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Arrendis wouldn't let us put the real name of the new fleet, "Bhaaltecs", in the forum title because he assumed anyone searching the forums for it would just type Baltec anyways. Because Bhaalgorns and bad puns are goonswarm 2018

voodoospork
Oct 13, 2009
How easy is it to join up with the goon fleet these days? Some friends and I are playing after a 13 year hiatus, and so far the lessons are expensive. We're generally pvp-oriented players but organization is OP in Eve. I don't think anybody in the group who is actually playing is much of an active poster or ever really has been (though I think we all have relatively ancient accounts). We're mostly asocial people forced into an unfamiliar situation, but we're attempting to adapt to the challenge. Is just signing up a possibility, or is it more complicated than that?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

voodoospork posted:

How easy is it to join up with the goon fleet these days? Some friends and I are playing after a 13 year hiatus, and so far the lessons are expensive. We're generally pvp-oriented players but organization is OP in Eve. I don't think anybody in the group who is actually playing is much of an active poster or ever really has been (though I think we all have relatively ancient accounts). We're mostly asocial people forced into an unfamiliar situation, but we're attempting to adapt to the challenge. Is just signing up a possibility, or is it more complicated than that?

If they are your IRL friends and you are yourself an active poster i think you can sponsor them. Just make sure you trust them, if they gently caress something up it comes down on you.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

voodoospork posted:

A group of friends who are all asocial? :crossarms:

The posting activity requirements remain in place. Someone who is a member can sponsor others in (limit 3) - but that person has to have been in Goonwaffe 30 days.

voodoospork
Oct 13, 2009
Well, two of them are literal brothers, and one is my best friend since middle school. I trust them at least.

I guess I can just pick you folks' brains here until I satisfy the active poster requirement and can sponsor them.

In that vein, what is our most realistic jumpstart? We've got a few billion to spend on making more isk and a few characters trained as miners. I think we've got an Orca so far and assorted mining frigates. Is there anything we can spend this money on that will see a reliably out-sized payout? We could field about 3 cruisers for combat content, and we're not above ratting if that's the best way to make some money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katka
Apr 18, 2008

:roboluv::h: :awesomelon: :h::roboluv:
Maybe y'all could look into Karmafleet? I'm not sure what the exact requirements are to get into Karmafleet, but I don't think it's much.