Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
In all seriousness, if you want to see what end game character customization/building is like, here's a video of a guy explaining a possible build for one specific class of one character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kEPwPyqdao

You don't nearly have to go this in-depth to clear the story, but that's an example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Orvin posted:

The cops with guns are the equivalent of XCOM rookies, borderline useless. They do have a delay attack that has it uses.

The melee cops are actually somewhat useful. They do decent damage early in the game, have a counter attack, and can auto dodge the first overwatch attack.

At least I have found that to be the case early in the game. No idea about further in.

I would also add that the shield cops are goddamn awesome throughout the entire game. They're slow as hell, but their ability to tank damage and provide cover is really great. I usually send the others away, but keep all of these because cops are meant to be shot at.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I you play on the mode where mobs get extra levels Jane gets levels in dancer.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I'm starting to think I'm the only one who used the cops for the whole story and found them consistently useful. Overwatch is good, and most of them come with useful grenades. Plus, you can have them scout and not care if they die.

Definitely send them off or automate them if a mission is going to be easy, though.

Something I would suggest is to skip the repeatable missions early, at least until you have four or five Troubleshooters recruited, just because they're going to be boring. You can always do them later (and "Challenge Mode" makes them scale to your current level).

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't really care if the cops are useful or not, I send them away simply because paying attention to them is extremely tedious.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I was doing the repeatable missions, then I was all "...wait. why am I doing this when I can do them later when I have more characters" and it's all story all the time now.

Mind you I'm still playing slowly as adhd brain has eaten me and wants 4Xes, but I try to do at least one mission a day so I won't forget to play.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The level design and adjustable difficulty makes replaying missions a lot of fun but I prefer to save that for once I can get drones and beasts because it gives me a good chance to train them up simultaneously.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

you can level up beast and robots super fast with Heixing and the XP sharing masteries.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
at one point i set out to find all the masteries that only come from tamed pets and acquire them. i really should have saved my list because there doesn't seem to be one anywhere. still, a quick exp share build was invaluable once i had acquired all of the pets and it was time to level them up.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
With the right setup you can walk into the first blue case, throw one grenade, and just abandon and max rank everything.

Unfortunately since you have to evolve things to rank them up again (and whatever the drone version of evolving is called) you have to keep leaving and coming back and it's still tedious as hell.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Saint Freak posted:

With the right setup you can walk into the first blue case, throw one grenade, and just abandon and max rank everything.

Unfortunately since you have to evolve things to rank them up again (and whatever the drone version of evolving is called) you have to keep leaving and coming back and it's still tedious as hell.

And that's how Troubleshooter ended up on my ssd. I got this close to having all the masteries during the crab rave era

(For those looking from the outside, don't worry about it, that's just for broke-brained completionists)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
There is something beautiful about doing the one dragon cave map with the build that randomly upgrades materials drops, it's like when a gacha game gives you 100 free 10 rolls.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
This got me thinking of when I first hit my difficulty wall. I forget the mission, but I got Fire Support chained and had my entire team wiped out in like 2 turns. That's when I thought "Ah, the real Troubleshooter starts here."

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Also if you get a bit confused, the slightly different colored fonts for previous missions mean you haven't done a run yet, but also a lot of them are *new* snippets of story. So it's not just "do this mission but harder," a lot of them expand on the world or are aftermaths of the mission you completed at the time.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah like you can follow the story easily skipping out on those but there will be bits where it feels like the main plot is jumping around a bit more where its like this gang is suddenly weakened and you don't know why.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I really do love how Troubleshooter tells its story. Its so funny to me like how low key Danny Law is an important character in the game but he just has a random generic enemy model so people just end up missing that. I wonder if the sequel will actually give him a more unique look but honestly I just hope they keep the same model.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

a lot of the small story missions award different masteries for doing them in different ways. Most of these are marked by achievements.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Snooze Cruise posted:

I really do love how Troubleshooter tells its story. Its so funny to me like how low key Danny Law is an important character in the game but he just has a random generic enemy model so people just end up missing that. I wonder if the sequel will actually give him a more unique look but honestly I just hope they keep the same model.

Danny Law looked like that first and then everyone else copied his style.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Sandweed posted:

a lot of the small story missions award different masteries for doing them in different ways. Most of these are marked by achievements.

The mission where you do a teambuilding exercise with the VHPD and you can choose to distribute your team however you like? Well turns out that choosing the harder option gives you a mastery that is basically required for a lot of the good QoL support masteries and I only found out like 80 hours into the game :psyduck: Like, I finished the whole game and first DLC and that's when I found out that's where you got the Calm Mind mastery or w/e.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

Yeah, it rules how the generic looking characters have deeply involved backstories, some even directly related to the main characters! Part of me does hope they keep looking generic if they show up in the sequel, but it would also be really fun to see the glow up if they got new unique designs.

EDIT: Oh, looks like Giselle got a costume pack https://store.steampowered.com/app/2168566/TROUBLESHOOTER_Abandoned_Children__Giselles_Costume_Set/?curator_clanid=31614849

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 24, 2023

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
Well, thanks to you goons I have been doing nothing but play this game while I'm recovering from my surgery.

I get partial credit for my first impression - game isn't good. It's incredible. I still have only three characters but I have to slow-play and I'm enjoying every minute. Going to duck out of this thread now so I don't get spoilers on upcoming mechanics.

gently caress, this game is good.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Thursday Next posted:

Well, thanks to you goons I have been doing nothing but play this game while I'm recovering from my surgery.

I hope you heal quickly! May Irene speed you on your way.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

me, an idiot: very hard? That's nothing, we don't need the cops for this one

the mission: pied piper of hamelin. A tiny fight between NPCs you run, then the main mission. I don't want to redo that fight, but also I'm not sure my trio can do this alone. :negative:

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
There are a couple of those really big missions at the beginning of the game where they're full-scale wars between an army of cops and an army of bad guys (and sometimes two separate armies of bad guys). I'd just set the cops on "battle" mode and turn the game speed up to extremely fast or whatever the highest thing is. It's hard to be able to handle the level of attrition of fighting 50 dudes--even if they can only do damage to you 10% of the time you're just going to wear down and run out of healing potions before you get the healer. If you really don't want the cops to help, don't send them away but set them to the secure area mode (not the defense, they still move forward in that way) and they'll just stand there. Then you can have them run up and use their potions when you need them.

But honestly, for those missions, just use the cops until you get more characters.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Oh thank god there was a checkpoint before the battle started.

I don't mind playing with the cops - I just got overconfident there!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm a big fan of the cops, mostly because they are very good at putting bosses into AT hell with suppressing fire and frost grenades. They are good healbots on higher difficulties as well. Don't use them for killing stuff, really.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Yeah, now that that mission is over (woo!) I can say - I needed the cops there not to kill anyone, but to tank and distract the hoards of spoonists while my folks got to work.

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

I think during that exact mission I also dismissed all the cops at the start, thinking that I could use a little challenge, because the missions before had been so easy. It didn't go well during my first try.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
As the game progresses, Troubleshooter is extremely good at making you feel overconfident and that you've become super powerful before kicking your legs out and beating the poo poo out of you.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Kanos posted:

As the game progresses, Troubleshooter is extremely good at making you feel overconfident and that you've become super powerful before kicking your legs out and beating the poo poo out of you.

Me thinking "Oh, crabs? I can take them on no problem."

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

PunkBoy posted:

Me thinking "Oh, crabs? I can take them on no problem."

Or how almost every player's first destron mission is going to end in tears.

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:
Picked this up and played a ton of it over the weekend.

Holy poo poo is it good.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hell yeah, always good to see more people discovering this hidden gem. As folks have said somewhere above, if the start feels like it's dragging, mainline the story missions until you get a new party member or two. Adjustable difficulty means you can go back to earlier scenarios and still have a good challenge.

Apart from the total absence of marketing, I think Troubleshooter is in a weird spot because the anime styling means tactics/xcom enthusiasts don't notice it and superficially it doesn't look like an FFT/Fire Emblem sort of thing either.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Fruits of the sea posted:

Apart from the total absence of marketing, I think Troubleshooter is in a weird spot because the anime styling means tactics/xcom enthusiasts don't notice it and superficially it doesn't look like an FFT/Fire Emblem sort of thing either.

It's not anime enough. Also majority of characters are drinking age adults and look like it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

MikusR posted:

It's not anime enough. Also majority of characters are drinking age adults and look like it.

Most of the supporting cast are adults, but your first four playable party members are anime teenagers.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Kanos posted:

Most of the supporting cast are adults, but your first four playable party members are anime teenagers.

21 is a teenager? Albus, Irene, Sion is 21. Anne is 14. Heixing 24.

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Feb 27, 2023

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

MikusR posted:

21 is a teenager?

Albus, Sion, and Irene are all 20 years old but their designs very much fall into looking like anime teenagers, especially compared to the characters who are almost the same age but look a bit older like Heixing, Ray, and Leton who are all at the wizened age of 23 at the start of the game.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, they're formally adults by age, but I'd say the original trio are definitely in that transitional phase to adulthood, specially when compared to the Alley cast or Giselle, who's a middle aged woman.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Lets not forget Anne, our 14-year old child solider that I have throwing magical starlight at armed criminals.

if that's not anime as gently caress, then I don't know what is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

But! The 14-year-old child soldier is not sexualized, and instead is adorable.