Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

spacemang_spliff posted:

whoa holy poo poo lmao

Democrats went from pretending to support medicare 4 all to just straight up cutting medicare.

~*well actually*~, its supposed to just be a formality. Congress has done similar budget sleight-of-hand to get around PAYGO and Republicans have voted to not let the cuts to Medicare and farm workers go through before.

I'm sure the GOP will continue to faithfully serve the American people. Its not like they'd ever use this position as leverage to extract further concessions from Democrats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raskolnikov38 posted:

why did liberals glob onto progressive anyway, the original progressive movement was largely Republican

Oh I've been mad about this for a while now, for the past 20 years, we've gone from Democrat to Liberal to "Progressive" to "Leftist" and it's all meaningless toothless poo poo that doesn't actually stand for anything but voting for a warmongering austerity rapist when the push comes to shove. Utterly pathetic and worthless.

the 2016 lover
May 29, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fun Shoe
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/02/13/biden-cuts-medicare-farm-aid-468895

holy gently caress this article

quote:

The budget gambit Democrats are embracing to fast-track President Joe Biden’s $1.9 trillion pandemic aid plan will trigger billions of dollars in cuts to critical programs.

Top Democrats are already shrugging off the threat, insistent that Congress will once again act in time to head off the slashing to programs like Medicare and farm subsidies — a byproduct of using the reconciliation process. But in that high-stakes trust fall, Democrats will be relying on the Senate Republicans they are now spurning.

The threat stems from limitations enacted in 2010 under pay-as-you-go rules, which require Congress to offset the cost of each piece of legislation.

quote:

The Statutory Pay-As-You-Go Act of 2010, Title I of Pub.L. 111–139 (text) (pdf), H.J.Res. 45 is a public law passed by the 111th United States Congress and signed by US President Barack Obama on February 12, 2010. The act reinstated pay-as-you-go budgeting rules used in Congress from 1990 until 2002, ensuring that most new spending is offset by spending cuts or added revenue elsewhere (with several major policy exemptions).

gotta love our democrats :)

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
the big power move will be when Dems co-opt "populism" since no one seems to know how to define it

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Fleetwood posted:

the big power move will be when Dems co-opt "populism" since no one seems to know how to define it

silver coinage and racism

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

1stGear posted:

~*well actually*~, its supposed to just be a formality. Congress has done similar budget sleight-of-hand to get around PAYGO and Republicans have voted to not let the cuts to Medicare and farm workers go through before.

I'm sure the GOP will continue to faithfully serve the American people. Its not like they'd ever use this position as leverage to extract further concessions from Democrats.

no of course not

there's no way 4D chess could backfire on the democrats, each one being a little Machiavelli

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1stGear posted:

Also, this is fun.

Democrats are actually good: "I've been told not to be concerned"

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

erza clams rise to fukken die

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

https://twitter.com/davidaxelrod/status/1360653793843683328

gently caress Off

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

Problem: farmers are committing suicide at alarming rates. Suicide rates amongst US farmers have increased by 40%+ within the past two decades

Solution: gently caress them farmers

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
It's kind of a weird feeling to see Biden/Democrats do literally every bad thing every rational person expected them to do almost immediately.

what we need next is some Boots on the Ground

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Look, the important thing about the impeachment trial was the symbolic nature of it. Democrats made it clear that we cannot tolerate sedition and treason from our highest elected officials. This is a clear message that will resonate for generations.

Anyway, Forcing a Vote on M4A would be a purely symbolic vote and therefore a waste of time. Way more important that we pass the $1000+$600 = $2000 stimulus bill...after we come back from our week-long vacay, whew that symbolic impeachment trial took a lot out of us.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Fleetwood posted:

Problem: farmers are committing suicide at alarming rates. Suicide rates amongst US farmers have increased by 40%+ within the past two decades

Solution: gently caress them farmers

Farm aid is bullshit welfare for Monsanto, family farms died decades ago

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

"work for vaccines" excuse me

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Rectal Death Adept posted:

It's kind of a weird feeling to see Biden/Democrats do literally every bad thing every rational person expected them to do almost immediately.

what we need next is some Boots on the Ground

they're not going to loving tell you when they put "boots on the ground" and in fact they already have

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/cushbomb/status/1360653815695822850?s=19

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

1stGear posted:

Also, this is fun.

Democrats are actually good: "I've been told not to be concerned"

I was worried about cuts to social services.

Historically, Biden loves austerity. Austerity now would fast-track fascism.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Farm aid is bullshit welfare for Monsanto, family farms died decades ago

that's a fair point

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Yinlock posted:

"work for vaccines" excuse me

a missing comma i'm sure it was an accident

narrator: it was not an accident

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

https://twitter.com/JoyAnnReid/status/1360682215881990152

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/mayaharris_/status/1360355426890518528?s=20

ty maya

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/kamalamvp_/status/1360360627286507521?s=20

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/JaninSpoor/status/1360435257707696129?s=20

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

loving lmao

THS
Sep 15, 2017

lol the world is so grim

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

I don't know what happened but I think Republicans have been mispronouncing Kamala's name so they gotta circle the wagons to protect aunty

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Fleetwood posted:

I don't know what happened but I think Republicans have been mispronouncing Kamala's name so they gotta circle the wagons to protect aunty

its pronounced Kamala duh

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Fleetwood posted:

the best way to deal with someone bullying you is to “well actually” and correct them, and by doing so make the bullying more visible

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

You must pay the price for this post.
people are so mad about congress going into recess without having sent out survival checks, but we need to remember theres a lot of pep peps and grammies in congress. You'd deny a child precious memories with beloved matriarchs and patriarchs for your prrcious money, so sad

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
madam copmala

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

people are so mad about congress going into recess without having sent out survival checks, but we need to remember theres a lot of pep peps and grammies in congress. You'd deny a child precious memories with beloved matriarchs and patriarchs for your prrcious money, so sad

600 in December + 1400 in April = 2000 on Day FuckYou

Promises made, Promises KEPT!!!!!

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

why did liberals glob onto progressive anyway, the original progressive movement was largely Republican

the original progressives were basically anti-communists who wanted to paper over some of the sharper contradictions of free market capitalism and protect the system from the left, while ensuring Capitalists could keep doing their thing. in that sense I think liberals are 100% right to think of themselves as progressives

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hamilton created the financial system that ended up making Donald Trump the President.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

is she the one who hosed up kopmalas campaign

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1360657401817538562?s=19

When you've lost Parker, lmao.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Accretionist posted:

I was worried about cuts to social services.

Historically, Biden loves austerity. Austerity now would fast-track fascism.

who needs a competent fascist when senility will work just as well?

the 2016 lover
May 29, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fun Shoe

white aristocrat "immigrant" slaveowners, we get the job done!

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

:geno:

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/briebriejoy/status/1360662817410592771?s=19

lol

Someone should tell them all that Dems are good, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

Bootleg Trunks posted:

is she the one who hosed up kopmalas campaign

she was the campaign chair and is America's #1 Joyful Warrior