Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Lotta weird language in these posts like “retcon” in conjunction with a design document that was never used and “made up for the second game”.

Seems weird and embittered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Lotta weird language in these posts like “retcon” in conjunction with a design document that was never used and “made up for the second game”.

Seems weird and embittered.

The design document was used for the first game. The story and backstory of the main character's family was revised to match the new game's story, which as several people have also observed, shows signs of major cuts and concepts that were not fully developed.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't think changing backstory from internal docs with info that didn't make it into the first game is really a retcon. Even if that has led to a timeline that doesn't really make sense.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

The design document was used for the first game. The story and backstory of the main character's family was revised to match the new game's story, which as several people have also observed, shows signs of major cuts and concepts that were not fully developed.

Information that did not make it into the first game was revised, yes.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

If it's background information that players couldn't possibly know or find out from just playing the game, then changing it for a sequel is not a retcon. Especially when it's been a decade and a half since the first game came out. I'm sure there's plenty of thoughts they had about the first game that, many years later, the team decided they actually didn't like. And they're not obliged to commit to it just because it was the first idea they had.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

The text of the games themselves are all that matter other than as a curiosity. It’s absolutely not a “retcon” to have unused and changed ideas in old development docs that don’t ship.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ja2ke posted:

The text of the games themselves are all that matter other than as a curiosity. It’s absolutely not a “retcon” to have unused and changed ideas in old development docs that don’t ship.

Changing continuity for a sequel is literally what a retcon is though; It's retroactive continuity.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Changing continuity for a sequel is literally what a retcon is though; It's retroactive continuity.

Nothing changed though. For it to be a change, any of the content that was changed would have had to made it into the actual text of the first game which it did not.

A retcon is not when you have an idea and don't use it in favor of another.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Retcons aren't just 'information that was previously unavailable is revealed' there generally has to be a level of contradiction with what came before. Its also more defined by the writers intent, it generally describes a big change without groundwork placed to foreshadow it. 'Jean Grey is actually alive, that was a magic space clone that died' feels like a retcon because marvel wanted to bring back a popular character against the wishes of the writer that killed her off. They had to go completely left field to explain it and it also meant that for months readers had been following a 'fake' Jean Grey in issues were written without that knowledge. See also the Spiderman Clone saga where the story yo-yos back and forth on the issue of which spiderman is the clone.

Changing your mind on unreleased story details is not 'Retconning' thats just writing. For something to be 'Retroactive Continuity' there must be Continuity to replace. Its also not a very useful term outside of the office politics of cape comics tbh, writers change their mind or think up better ideas than they originally planned all the time they're just better at justifying or hiding contradictions so you don't notice.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Got it Saturday beat it Sunday now need to 100%; liked it a lot, had the same thing with Brutal Legend where the backhalf of the game really goes in overdrive to get to the finish line. Don't mind since I'm the one other person other than Tim Schaffer that loves Brutal Legend for what it was.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Nah, I also loved that game. I imagine that half of the game's budget was music licensing though, and harder to pull off now.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I've been thinking getting of Brutal Legend on GOG. I have it on Steam, but I worry at some point some of the music licenses will expire and they'll gut the game so they can keep selling it, like with the GTA games :mad:

Music licensing is bullshit

Barudak
May 7, 2007

davidspackage posted:

I've been thinking getting of Brutal Legend on GOG. I have it on Steam, but I worry at some point some of the music licenses will expire and they'll gut the game so they can keep selling it, like with the GTA games :mad:

Its on Game Pass and retained all the music in that transition so the negotiations weren't too brutal, but yeah if you want a 100% protected you'll want a gog copy.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

davidspackage posted:

there are ways that don't involve giving the publisher more cash for no labor

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Brutal Legend was great, but it's kinda half a game, which sucks. Definitely worth picking up if you can get it for cheap.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Brutal Legend is just a real mess of a game, a real pile of not mixing right bits and bobs. There are funny bits and swerves but it just does like 4 different things poorly for the whole runtime for a story that itself is really badly paced.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Yeah, I would've enjoyed the game more had it simply been an action platformer that kept the driving bits but threw out the tower defense(?) bits. But I love JB and the atmosphere, characters and music are great.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I mean, I think the game was an RTS before it was anything else, like I don't think it was conceived as an open world Zelda-esque action adventure and then the RTS was shoehorned in. RTS games aren't really my thing though, so I do agree that I wish it was a completely different game set in that universe.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I still find it funny when people complain about those rts battles, since there were like 4 of them in the entire game.

The bigger problem was imo that the game just rushes for the ending after the first big battle, really feels like they ran out of budget.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Brutal Legend had a really bad demo, because it seemed to suggest that most of the game would be a zelda-esque adventure, and not the RTS combat that was the actual focus of the game. Atlhough yes, there was also an entire location cut. The tainted coil were supposed to have their own area.

I still really want a sequel to somehow happen, but that seems really unlikely even with Double Fine being owned by Microsoft now.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Brutal Legend had a really bad demo, because it seemed to suggest that most of the game would be a zelda-esque adventure, and not the RTS combat that was the actual focus of the game. Atlhough yes, there was also an entire location cut. The tainted coil were supposed to have their own area.

I still really want a sequel to somehow happen, but that seems really unlikely even with Double Fine being owned by Microsoft now.

I think the closest we're going to get is Jack Black in another Psychonauts game, since there's a whole situation with that character that can be resolved and there's a variety of music-adjacent psychological phenomena to explore. I wouldn't mind a Brutal Legend homage level, or even part of a level.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

certain tim shafer wants to do another brutal legend if he can get the funding, jack black is becoming a regular at Double Fine, and psychonauts 2 seems to be selling fairly well.

don't think we'll get a brutal legend with the same gameplay but a metal game within a similar universe? that's very much possible I think

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

double nine posted:

don't think we'll get a brutal legend with the same gameplay but a metal game within a similar universe? that's very much possible I think

Brutal Legend 2 is just an Overcooked clone, but you're a roadie setting up for a gig instead of prepping food.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

IUG posted:

Brutal Legend 2 is just an Overcooked clone, but you're a roadie setting up for a gig instead of prepping food.
Brutal Legends 2 will also be Psychonauts 3, opening with Raz visiting Eddie Riggs, who is laying comatose in a hospital bed after being crushed at the very beginning of Brutal Legend.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

double nine posted:

certain tim shafer wants to do another brutal legend if he can get the funding, jack black is becoming a regular at Double Fine, and psychonauts 2 seems to be selling fairly well.

I think I saw an article about BL2 and Schafer is for it as long as it is still allowed to be the RTS game he wants it to be

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Broken Cog posted:

I still find it funny when people complain about those rts battles, since there were like 4 of them in the entire game.

The bigger problem was imo that the game just rushes for the ending after the first big battle, really feels like they ran out of budget.

I mean, I still played through like 3/4 of the game because I liked everything else about it. I just kind of hit a brick wall and got tired of losing one of the later battles over and over again.

VV pretty sure that was it. Like I probably could've kept bruteforcing my way through that battle but I just decided to... stop playing.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Sep 24, 2021

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

King Vidiot posted:

I mean, I still played through like 3/4 of the game because I liked everything else about it. I just kind of hit a brick wall and got tired of losing one of the later battles over and over again.

Was it Ophelia? That was where my run died, partially because it was hard, partially because that plot beat rubbed me the wrong way.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I've switched the RTS battle difficulty to Full Babymode like three battles in because I don't enjoy RTSes all that much. Was still Too Much RTS In My Metal Zelda, unfortunately, but it made it less of a chore.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The thing about Brutal Legend's RTS mode as well is that even if you understand what it wants (launch yourself violently to the front line and lay waste like a jankier Dynasty Warriors) the battles don't become fun so much as they become inevitable. Its like if Herzog Zwei made 0 improvements except graphics between the genesis and the 360.

Also it commits one of the gravest gaming sins which is a collectible only able to be gotten in the post game that spawns into a room that you've already been into and have no reason to go back to and are never suggested might change.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I was thinking about what Grulovia might look like in the present, and it occurred to me that Otto's machine turned enough water into hyper-ice that nothing the Psychonauts could do would allow them to locate Helmut's body, which they presumably tried quite hard to do. That is a lot of unmelting ice to drop into the middle of what was probably an ecologically-important body of water. Like, wow.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Idle wondering:

so if Barber Ford came from Regret At What Lucy Did, Bowling Ford came from Lingering Love For Lucy, and Mail Clerk Ford came from Horror At How She Had Changed... what personality traits did the Psychonauts 1 various versions of Ford come from?

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

Junpei posted:

Idle wondering:

so if Barber Ford came from Regret At What Lucy Did, Bowling Ford came from Lingering Love For Lucy, and Mail Clerk Ford came from Horror At How She Had Changed... what personality traits did the Psychonauts 1 various versions of Ford come from?

I have suspicions about the Ford who's in love with canoes.

Also, in the backer trailer, Ranger Ford goes and talks to the posts in the reception area of the camp like they're the rest of the Psychic Seven, so he seems to represent when he was a psychic hippy in a psychic hippy commune in the woods. If you look at the history exhibit in the Motherlobe before meeting the interns, I think Raz even says that Ford was working as a park ranger when he discovered Psitanium.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Finally buckled down and 100%'d the game, other than collecting all the pins because frankly I can't be assed to do that. I was pretty thorough about getting figments the first time around so I wasn't missing too much on that front but I was missing a surprising amount of emotional baggage and memory vaults.

After doing my whirlwind tour, I have to say, Jesus Christ, all the members of the Psychic Seven really needed to sit down and loving talk to each other. These people are terrible at actually being friends. Otto may be the person that they all either think negatively of or assume thinks negatively of them, but Cassie's projections of everyone are pretty negative, Bob's too lost in his grief (and booze) to give a poo poo about anyone, Compton thinks everyone hates him and refuses to interact with them anymore, Ford doesn't spare a single thought for anyone but Lucy, and Helmut's fantasy about them all being a super band of best friends is clearly exactly that - a fantasy made up by someone who didn't have to live through the aftermath.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
how on earth did you 100% it without all the pins? i could comfortably buy everything in the store before the endgame, well before iirc.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

CoolCab posted:

how on earth did you 100% it without all the pins? i could comfortably buy everything in the store before the endgame, well before iirc.

Sounded to me like they couldn't be bothered to buy them all; not that they couldn't buy them all, just didn't want to waste time on it.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Didn't feel like wasting my time on gathering psitanium tbh and I had never bought any of the pins that increase the amount of psitanium you get passively. I barely interacted with the pins at all, if I'm being honest. I got three I liked, then did nothing else with it for the entire game.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

CuwiKhons posted:

Didn't feel like wasting my time on gathering psitanium tbh and I had never bought any of the pins that increase the amount of psitanium you get passively. I barely interacted with the pins at all, if I'm being honest. I got three I liked, then did nothing else with it for the entire game.

tbf i bought none until i could afford/equip the psytanium++ options. they really were almost entirely superfluous.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

The entire pin system felt a little slapped on. The psitanium pins were the only real gamechangers and then only as a vehicle to let you buy more pins. I got the one that lets you use TK with nothing around to grab, the one to increase the chain on Psi-blasts, and Cannonball to let me ground pound with Levitation and I stuck with those for the whole game.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

i just used the three color pins because i like how the levitation ball looks when white/grey :kiddo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I had no idea you could equip more than one to combine colors! That's really clever.