Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

yeah brains vs brawn is 100% worth the binge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The next Aus season is Blood vs Water, and Sandra and her daughter are on it, so that might be worth a watch just for the novelty.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

ApplesandOranges posted:

The next Aus season is Blood vs Water, and Sandra and her daughter are on it, so that might be worth a watch just for the novelty.

i saw that spoiler (it's just casting, though relevant to US fans) a while ago and was like "holy poo poo" but couldn't find it sourced anywhere else. very excited and will tune in.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

I gotta ask, as someone who only saw their latest season, what the hype is.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Sighence posted:

I gotta ask, as someone who only saw their latest season, what the hype is.

Watch Heroes vs Villains. Apart from all that it's an incredible season.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
So Reiman (formerly Spencer) Bledsoe of Cagayan and Cambodia fame gave an unprompted AMA on Reddit today. It, uhh, well see for yourself:

https://old.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/rb4djj/reiman_spencer_bledsoe_ama/

edit: double Yikes

https://reiman.substack.com/p/the-heterarchy

JesusSinfulHands fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 8, 2021

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

JesusSinfulHands posted:

So Reiman (formerly Spencer) Bledsoe of Cagayan and Cambodia fame gave an unprompted AMA on Reddit today. It, uhh, well see for yourself:

https://old.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/rb4djj/reiman_spencer_bledsoe_ama/

edit: double Yikes

https://reiman.substack.com/p/the-heterarchy

I am more disappointed by this than I would have expected.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
he's definitely not winning immunity

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I was always team kass

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

curiousCat posted:

I was always team kass

lmao. my limited understanding is that she poo poo on him in ponderosa quite a bit in s31 for final votes, to which i say, hell yeah

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

insane loser posted:

I love every part of that humanity — the democrats, the republicans, the libertarians, the Karens pushing masks, the indigenous peoples warding off medical tyrants, the medical tyrants, the crazy “anti-vaxxers,” the fascists known as Antifa, the racist Trumpers, the non-racist Trumpers, BLM, the basement-dwelling QANON gargoyles, the militant green-haired feminists, the butthurt “men’s rights activists,” the true egalitarians, everyone in between and everyone who forms their own views without the need for a label or a tribe.

Every post of this blogpost he wrote is a new "holy poo poo how are you existing like this" but this one made me laugh out loud because he has the granularity distinguish between racist trumpers and non-racist trumpers but antifa are just all fascists.

quote:

The difficult truth is, even though we’ve been together three years now, I genuinely don’t know whether she’ll be happy with me.

Oh god, after skimming through his ayahuasca trips, his elaborate strawmen invented to take down to replace with nonsense about the matrix, his quack "therapist" (some woo purveyor) and most of all, that he think he's one of the only people to understand what love is, followed by describing one of the most basic examples of love, something even an alien who only watched Friends could figure out -- I can definitely say "no," neither she or any other programmed being in the heterarchy will be happy with him,

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Everything he writes makes him insufferable

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

I couldn't get through the start of this recent AUS Survivor, but after checking an earlier season at someone's rec, I have been able to work my way through it. I can see the appeal but god it's so dragged out, especially TC where I often just hit the fast forward. I understand it has something to do with filling the network slot or something but drat.

It's refreshing to see so many people playing the game with a strategy mindset. Also I like the challenges but they very much incentivize getting rid of physically-weak players (women). Just being a physically-fit dude in the background can get you really far.

Also, the AUS challenges are wayyy more dangerous lol, I see a lot more accidents (but no injuries, so far). I have been enjoying the twists, nothing overly-complicated with lots of room to make strategic decisions. That's all it takes, pretty simple JEFF.

So yeah, guess I'm an AUS Survivor convert now.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Australian tv networks have to produce a certain amount of Australian content to air in prime time, and making super long reality tv show episodes is much cheaper than scripted shows. Literally every Australian reality show is like this. It works for some shows like Masterchef, where you can tune in on any episode and just watch people cooking nice food, but imo it's rough with a show like Survivor that needs to craft an ongoing narrative.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Khanstant posted:

he's definitely not winning immunity

lmao

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Can’t believe Jeff berated Kass for wanting to vote off Spencer rather than J’Tia.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Dugong posted:

Can’t believe Jeff berated Kass for wanting to vote off Spencer rather than J’Tia.

Kass has been quite open about that for years.

Here's a thread about production interference.

https://www.reddit.com/r/survivor/comments/rbm5j6/spencer_calling_out_production_rigginginfluence/

Edit: some highlights

quote:

" do you think there is any one move you could’ve played differently in either of your seasons that could’ve won you the game?"

"Good chance Keith would have beaten me in a Spencer/Keith/Tasha F3, but I was very upset with myself for not making this move, since I came out of the F5 immunity challenge wanting to. The producer who was on duty for the finale effectively talked me out of it, arguing that I wouldn't make it to F3 if I voted Jeremy out. We went down the line of jurors and he made the case for many of them (e.g. Savage) that we'd been super tight, and they might vote for me over Jeremy. I wasn't aware of the depth of Jeremy's bonds from old Bayon, so I foolishly entertained these ideas, but I should have definitely known the producer was full of poo poo when he tried to convince me that Wigglesworth and I had been tight. What I did is ultimately my responsibility, and it's pretty petty of me to give this justification, but yea, there it is."

quote:

Parvati mentioned this happened on RHAP this season and she talked about how it’s literally an element of the game where you have to not let the producers get in your head. It’s disappointing but yeah.

quote:

I think Victoria said that production told her to stop looking for the idol to give Aubrey a chance to find it. Which tipped Victoria off that she needs to blindside Aubrey.

quote:

Production trying to get Andrea to oust Malcolm at F11 in Caramoan, only for him to play an idol and take her out. Production encouraged this, but it tipped off Andrea that Malcolm might have an idol so that's why she switched the vote to Michael. Brilliant move by her. She outlines this on a a RHAP episode from WAW.

Kass and Tasha getting berated by Jeff for keeping JTia over Spencer in Cagayan, only until they said they'd vote out JTia and then it was time to vote. Kass has stated this numerous times over the years.

Production encouraging Courtney to vote for Parvati at FTC but Courtney digging in her heels and sticking with Sandra. Source is her interview on Fairplays podcast.

quote:

on RHAP Peih Gee talked about how Jaime knew the idol was fake in China but the producers kept coercing her into playing it and then made a laughing stock out of her when she followed through. It’s a bummer that the producers are basically players in the game

quote:

We found out a long time ago that production will try to influence who stays in the game. In Palau, Jeff basically forced Janu to quit so Stephanie would stick around.

quote:

if this is true, i can see a solid argument for what happen in HHH and why that person won.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Dec 8, 2021

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm very iffy on the claims of production pushing players. I'm sure it does happen, but I'm also sure sometimes its just a perception by an exhausted, stressed player or an excuse after the fact for why it wasn't their fault. A simple question like "Do you think X might have an idol?" or "Do you think X could blindside you?" changes entirely if the answer is "Yes.". So how to differentiate between generic production game conversation questions and purposely manipulative thumb on the scale stuff I dunno. But a player is always gonna assume the latter.

Also Spencer being a self important mess of conspiracy and propaganda is about the least surprising news.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Studio posted:

Everything he writes makes him insufferable

wtf is intensive meditation? ain't that the thing where you close your eyes and try really hard to not think? Something you can try to do anywhere, at any time, and the whole point is to use the least of your brain and body as possible?! Meditation isn't intense.

Nihonniboku posted:

Kass has been quite open about that for years.

Here's a thread about production interference.

Jesus, I almost wish I hadn't seen this. I knew they fudged things sometimes, and Jeff is notorious for throwing bully tantrums, but a lot of this stuff really putting me off. gently caress off, producers

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Khanstant posted:

Jesus, I almost wish I hadn't seen this. I knew they fudged things sometimes, and Jeff is notorious for throwing bully tantrums, but a lot of this stuff really putting me off. gently caress off, producers

Yeah, the story goes that Tasha, J'Tia, and Kass were in a tight alliance and fully intended to vote Spencer off. Jeff hated that idea, and berated them at tribal council saying what a stupid move it is, and held them there for several hours until Kass and Tasha agreed to switch their votes to J'Tia.

Later when Kass returned for Second Chances, she wanted J'Tia to be her loved one for the visit, and production shut that down.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Kass fuckin owns lmao, good on her for trying. Any why the hell they want Spencer around over J'Tia. J'Tia was more chaotic fun, Spencer was a whiny, wrongy, dweeb

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Khanstant posted:

Kass fuckin owns lmao, good on her for trying. Any why the hell they want Spencer around over J'Tia. J'Tia was more chaotic fun, Spencer was a whiny, wrongy, dweeb

Kass is one of my favorite all time contestants.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

J’Tia as a loved one would have been rad.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I had a pretty low opinion of Spencer before but man...

quote:

The more I’ve learned via meditation, psychedelics and online rabbit holes, the more I’ve realized how much I’ve yet to learn. I know too much to believe I “know” anything for sure. The more you believe you “know,” the likelier it is that you’re mind-controlled.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
i'm glad to see that every comment on the reddit thread is absolutely thrashing him lmao

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It feels such a mess of Jordan Peterson like wannabe intellectualism and that repackaging right wing rhetoric. The random thing that struck me was him randomly targeting rap lyrics.

I have no idea why I'm still reading it.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Khanstant posted:

wtf is intensive meditation? ain't that the thing where you close your eyes and try really hard to not think? Something you can try to do anywhere, at any time, and the whole point is to use the least of your brain and body as possible?! Meditation isn't intense.
Way OT but my wife teaches meditation and has done several of these "intensive retreats" that I'd guess he's referring to. Intense as in 14-16 hours of meditation then sleep. Rinse repeat for a week.

You are probably thinking of Zen meditation. The classic "clear your mind and be blank." For some that's basically zoneing out and calling it mental health and ... whatever. I can do this poo poo all day! TM is a whole grift class of meditation.

Then you have the current fad of mindfulness. Wife says when people really sit with their thoughts and feeling and think about them for extended quiet time, and process them, poo poo can get weird real fast. She's had several people just break down. Her insurance carrier makes people sign waivers. I'd call that intense-adjacent.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Nihonniboku posted:

Later when Kass returned for Second Chances, she wanted J'Tia to be her loved one for the visit, and production shut that down.

This part, at least, is untrue. Kass' loved one was her husband, who ended up having an emergency and not being able to come. Her alternate loved one was J'Tia, who WOULD have shown up on the show were it not for Kass being booted directly before the loved ones visit.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

pumped up for school posted:

Way OT but my wife teaches meditation and has done several of these "intensive retreats" that I'd guess he's referring to. Intense as in 14-16 hours of meditation then sleep. Rinse repeat for a week.

You are probably thinking of Zen meditation. The classic "clear your mind and be blank." For some that's basically zoneing out and calling it mental health and ... whatever. I can do this poo poo all day! TM is a whole grift class of meditation.

Then you have the current fad of mindfulness. Wife says when people really sit with their thoughts and feeling and think about them for extended quiet time, and process them, poo poo can get weird real fast. She's had several people just break down. Her insurance carrier makes people sign waivers. I'd call that intense-adjacent.

Oh boy, okay, so meditation can either mean zoning out empty head as you can manage, or looking directly into the abyss of your problems and doing nothing but surf your own anxiety spiral all the way down. Good to know that sometimes when I'm sobbing and panicking from indulging the bad thoughts too much I'm really intensely meditating.

Brooding! That's the world I was looking for. Brooding and Intense Meditation may be friends.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i only follow dragon slayer methodology for meditating

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Khanstant posted:

Brooding! That's the world I was looking for. Brooding and Intense Meditation may be friends.

That sums up Mrs. PUFS nicely. I'll ask her to put it on a tshirt.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Heather is a weirdly impressive player/person

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Letters is my least fav thing, but I'd rather them not remove things since we almost never get em back. No auction, no walk-of-survivors, no themed quizzes and history, etc.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
was it just chance xan/deshawn/erika grouped our did they pick?

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Usually random draw if they don't show a schoolyard pick.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

Erika just thanked the rocks for putting her on the winning team

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
lmao well, things looking up for ricard and no one else lol

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
drat I got distracted by that AMA revealing Spencer's an anti-vaxx transphobic landlord.

Anyways Heather is so useless.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Immunity idol question mark. God, US survivor just keeps getting worse and worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

blue squares posted:

Immunity idol question mark. God, US survivor just keeps getting worse and worse

Hmm, what's your complaint here?