Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
My question about Chet is his handle. Does it matter that the handle doesn't work against NBA players?
I think he's going to be a good player for a long time, but if he can dribble a bit that makes him so much better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Dejan Bimble posted:

My question about Chet is his handle. Does it matter that the handle doesn't work against NBA players?
I think he's going to be a good player for a long time, but if he can dribble a bit that makes him so much better

My guess is he will be turnover heavy for a few years before either figuring it out or giving up on it. I’d bet on the former but we’ll see.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/IveyJaden/status/1540761331632062465

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

The face is such a complex thing

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

dokmo posted:

He plays the most boring defense imaginable for any good defensive player. He can also shoot.

Well that sounds useful at least

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Papes posted:

No but some bio-metric company said they graded Chet as one of the least likely to get injured bigs that their model has ever tested.

https://www.si.com/nba/2022/06/20/chet-holmgren-the-future-of-basketball-daily-cover
Man, if Tyson Chandler met him he'd tell him to stop skipping Leg Day.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is Chet basically Raef Lafrentz

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is Chet basically Raef Lafrentz

He's a much better shooter and blocked twice as many shots, so no.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Why does raef always come up as a comp? Why not Withey or Shawn Bradley?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

dokmo posted:

Because Raef sorta broke the mold, there weren't a lotta bigs who could shoot then, other than like, Sam Perkins and Cliff Robinson. Plus he was a p.decent shot blocker, particularly early on in his career.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 26, 2022

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

dokmo posted:

Not tall enough to be Bradley, not old enough to be Withey, I'm assuming. Raef seems a weird comp to me too though, Raef wasn't thin, he was built like an ox, while Chet... hmm.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

dokmo posted:

shoots threes, blocks shots

there have only been like a dozen bigs who have done that in the history of the nba

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I think the whole point of Chet is there isn't a good comp and that's why he was near the top of every big board. He's really good and catches opponents off guard on both ends of the floor.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

shoots threes, blocks shots

there have only been like a dozen bigs who have done that in the history of the nba

But raef didn't shoot threes, he only attempted 35 over four college seasons, 0.3 per game. That's why I'm confused by the comparison.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

dokmo posted:

But raef didn't shoot threes, he only attempted 35 over four college seasons, 0.3 per game. That's why I'm confused by the comparison.

Because he did once he got to the NBA, and was reasonably good at it

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

dokmo posted:

It has to be some Bill Simmons related thing, it's been posted like 3 times in this thread as a burn and it's an incredibly stupid comp so it lines up.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

william lafrentz

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

dokmo posted:

Same reason certain NFL QBs are always compared to each other.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

pseudodragon posted:

Same reason certain NFL QBs are always compared to each other.

agreed, chet is a victim of reverse racism

Rick posted:

It has to be some Bill Simmons related thing, it's been posted like 3 times in this thread as a burn and it's an incredibly stupid comp so it lines up.

big bill is the only reason i personally remember raef so i wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the case for other people as well

i just use him as a cultural touchstone for a very weird and particular skillset as opposed to an in depth 1:1 comparison

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Why is Durant not a good comp as long as you acknowledge it's a comp as a prospect and not a comp as Kevin 2022 Durant

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Bip Roberts posted:

Why is Durant not a good comp as long as you acknowledge it's a comp as a prospect and not a comp as Kevin 2022 Durant

Durant apparently was a much better college player, I did not watch college at the time but this is the response the draft people have said when in response to others comping him to Durant.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Durant was primarily an offensive force and Chet's rim protection seems to be what people focus on.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Bip Roberts posted:

Even though durants Texas team was predictable Rick Barnes disappointment, his stroke looked God like. Everything else was kind of up in the air, remember PJ Carlissimo played Durant at shooting guard in his rookie year. But the fact that he was gonna be an incredible scorer from all over the court was crystal clear

Chers thing is really special mirror monster with ball bearing shoulders defense. While being a silhouette of the miracle center guy who shoots threes, dribbles, passes on offense. That part is much more sketchy, the defense is real with Chet

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 27, 2022

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Chet doesn’t seem like he’s in young Durant’s league as a ball handler and scorer which is sort of what makes Durant special

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Bip Roberts posted:

Durant was one of the leading scorers in D1 in his only season at Texas, got to the line a lot, and was already showing an advanced ability to create looks for himself as well as score even when other teams focused on him. On the other hand, he didn't have the kind of defensive impact Holmgren did.

Still, there's a good reason why he became the first freshman to win the Naismith Award.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Durant was absolutely insane in college, even though he lost a 3 overtime duel to Acie Law IV.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
I wasn’t watching college basketball at the time but if Durant was that loving good in college then how absolutely spectacular was Greg Oden to get drafted ahead of him?

Or was he just overhyped? I don’t remember

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Oden was also excellent in college and the general consensus back then was that you couldn't pass up size. Bigs went first in all but the LeBron year in the 10 drafts leading up to Oden / Durant. Even with that there was a vocal minority at the time that argued Durant should go No. 1.

There were also other mitigating factors like Oden's OSU team making the championship game while Texas got upset early. Front offices and people in general cared about that crap way more back then

morestuff fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jun 27, 2022

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Oden was a monster in college but had knee issues before even playing a game in the pros and was basically doomed from that point forward because of his size.

Think Less
Dec 29, 2016
I remember Okstate beating Durant's Texas team in OT despite him dropping almost 40. Dude was a scoring machine in college

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Kevin Durant, Steph Curry and Buddy Hield were the three scariest shooters to ever play my team and I've watched nearly every single game since 1985. Kansas scraped a win by the skin of their teeth in OT. But it can not be overstated how ridiculously scary Durant was. He had like 30 in the first half which is insane at the college level and was unconscious despite looking like the was 6'10, 150lbs

quote:

"He is a joke," Self said of Durant. "You can plug him into any team in the country at any level and he can score. NBA, whatever, just plug him in and he can go get baskets."

"We are not going to see another one like this," Self added. "He is just different. He is the best I have ever seen."

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Durant and Chet are not really comparable as they pay very differently. Durant and Vic is a little closer however, though I think Vic will end up playing more as a versatile big instead of a wing.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Bip Roberts posted:

Why is Bol Bol not a comp

Draft night I saw a photo of Chet with a couple people on each side of him holding his arms. It made him look like a corpse being weekend at bernied

morestuff posted:

There were also other mitigating factors like Oden's OSU team making the championship game while Texas got upset early. Front offices and people in general cared about that crap way more back then
And in that finals game he was pretty dominant too against the likes of Al Horford and Joakim Noah who went on to very good NBA careers. Oden went for 25/12 with 4 blocks on 10/15 shooting and Noah didn't do anything.

I think he could've had a big career if not for having his knees made hollow by microfracture surgery right from the start. and then there was the alcoholism/depression. His early NBA stats looked promising but he never would've been at Durant's level. At the time people had question marks about Durant though, like his weight/strength primarily. I think people were hoping for Embiid with him and maybe, without the injuries, could've gotten like Rudy Gobert?

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 27, 2022

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Ironic Twist posted:

I wasn’t watching college basketball at the time but if Durant was that loving good in college then how absolutely spectacular was Greg Oden to get drafted ahead of him?

Or was he just overhyped? I don’t remember

Oden/Durant was basically a toss up, they were viewed as two can't-miss prospects and which to take basically came down to whether you valued size/defense or scoring.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

morestuff posted:

Oden was also excellent in college and the general consensus back then was that you couldn't pass up size. Bigs went first in all but the LeBron year in the 10 drafts leading up to Oden / Durant. Even with that there was a vocal minority at the time that argued Durant should go No. 1.

Conley commits to OSU, and Oden being like whatever I have play somewhere might as well play with my PG is pretty funny now looking back on their NBA careers.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Fast Luck posted:

Why is Bol Bol not a comp

Draft night I saw a photo of Chet with a couple people on each side of him holding his arms. It made him look like a corpse being weekend at bernied

And in that finals game he was pretty dominant too against the likes of Al Horford and Joakim Noah who went on to very good NBA careers. Oden went for 25/12 with 4 blocks on 10/15 shooting and Noah didn't do anything.

I think he could've had a big career if not for having his knees made hollow by microfracture surgery right from the start. and then there was the alcoholism/depression. His early NBA stats looked promising but he never would've been at Durant's level. At the time people had question marks about Durant though, like his weight/strength primarily. I think people were hoping for Embiid with him and maybe, without the injuries, could've gotten like Rudy Gobert?

That was actually the big freakout for me with Embiid was that he was going to Oden himself with his lovely health. I don't remember Oden the most, but he probably would've had an okay career, maybe Jermaine O'Neal wise, though that's just a comp pulled out of my rear end and probably not very fitting.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Oden would probably be like Roy Hibbert+

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
If Oden was healthy he'd be real good. DPOY potential and probably a pick and roll nightmare. Not so much perimeter creation like Embiid so probably not that level but when Oden did play he looked really solid for a guy who should have been pretty raw to NBA speed.

morestuff posted:

Oden would probably be like Roy Hibbert+

During the good Hibbert years, yeah. I think Oden had more going for him than Hibbert's kinda short peak though.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Oden was hugely hyped before his season at OSU started, had largely the impact you would expect, and had a deep tourny run that got upended by a team filled with future NBA prospects including 2 NBA lottery big men and still had a good game against them. He was a huge consensus no-brainer #1 even with the KD darkhorse buzz. Bill Simmons tweeting about how he walked like an old man may have ended up being clairvoyant but was taken as a stupid Bill Simmons talking point at the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Oden also had years of momentum as the presumptive number 1 pick like Wenbanyama is now that takes quite a bit to shake. I remember thinking how the Raps got screwed into taking Bargnani 1OA since Oden was already a super prospect and he was in the first no high schoolers draft. I admittedly wasn't following NBA prospects as much back then, but I don't remember hearing as much Durant hype until their draft year.