Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
D, see if anything alters our priorities.

y, we can be trusted to take custody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

C, yes. Get our stories straight, maybe recruit her if she’s interested.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
C, take custody

Put it in a locker or something, take it after we've done whatever due diligence we're expected as nobility.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

HBar posted:

C, yes. Get our stories straight, maybe recruit her if she’s interested.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
don't vote c unless you're meaning it, probably you're gonna wanna do what you think zlata should be doing & me bullshitting about the options like i did is breaking the neutral gm mandate as it is

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

SniperWoreConverse posted:

don't vote c unless you're meaning it, probably you're gonna wanna do what you think zlata should be doing & me bullshitting about the options like i did is breaking the neutral gm mandate as it is

I... think we should talk with Sevan before we part ways to make sure no surprises show up? I don't think we should help murder the other civilians (unless there's a reason we can be convinced)?

What am I missing?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Nothing but idk I mentioned the option to talk to her a couple times, or at least once, while not really talking up others :shrug:

Gonna wait a while before updating, even though literally everyone is pretty sick of the island

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I want to get Sevan on the level as she could really make trouble for us and/or become an influential ally due to her status and also she's a kobold lizard-wizardsworder who cuts poo poo up good. The two castaway are mooks with little to no influence and society doesn't give a gently caress about them.

The other things can be dealt with later, except maybe our sword but maybe we can talk to her while we're doing sword cleaning stuff. She obviously knows her stuff and could have useful input. I'd also like to train with her and learn some of her cheese-monkeylizard fighting style.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Outrail posted:

I want to get Sevan on the level as she could really make trouble for us and/or become an influential ally due to her status and also she's a kobold lizard-wizardsworder who cuts poo poo up good. The two castaway are mooks with little to no influence and society doesn't give a gently caress about them.

The other things can be dealt with later, except maybe our sword but maybe we can talk to her while we're doing sword cleaning stuff. She obviously knows her stuff and could have useful input. I'd also like to train with her and learn some of her cheese-monkeylizard fighting style.

Yeah this, it's been a whole thing and actually she's played us p straight the whole way so having a chat is there correct thing to do. C.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Despite your increasing tiredness you figure it's probably a good idea to check up on Sevan, so you knock on her cabin door.
"...who is it?"
"Zlata. I was wondering--"
"Oh! One moment!"

There's the sound of sloshing and the clank of metal, then her door unlatches.

Perceptitve posted:

Everything she owns has been brought in, and is put as far away from the door as possible, doesn't look unpacked. There's a piece of tarp down, and a large tub full of soapy water. Except it's notable all her weapons and armor are in the tub soaking. Sevan herself is very clean, has her cheapest clothes on (and they aren't cheap) with the sleeves rolled up as far as they can go.

Archer & Armors & Swordswoman posted:

Her crossbow and bolts aren't in the tub. Probably they could get messed up by the hot water? Not unreasonable, you suppose. Leaving her sword and gear in water like that could maybe be damaging? It's her gear, not yours.

"Please, come in. How -- wait, here." She flicks water off her arms, then opens a piece of luggage and roots through it for a book. "I want you to have this --" Leviathan, a strange, foreigner book. "-- it's rare, and means a lot to me, but thank you. I think you might like it. How have you been doing?"

You accept the book and take a seat at the desk (Sevan's cabin also has one), and she quickly shuts and latches the door before plonking on the bed.
"I'll be fine. I actually came to ask you the same question."
"Mm." She more thoroughly dries her arms off with a cloth and throws it on a larger, dirtier one. "I'm not so sure... I really don't know exactly what I'm going to do."
"What are you thinking?"
She sighs through her nose and rubs her fur and scales where she was stained in Purnam's lair. She's going to have to keep this hidden if she really is a diplomat -- if the wrong person notices they might get ideas.
"That the Alert was a terrible choice. I could have avoided all of this if I had bought tickets for some other ship. Diomedes, or even the Naugahyde, anything else. But what's come to pass is what has."
"How about the other castaways -- the ones that lived?"
She turns and spits out the open porthole, then latches it shut as well. The good mood she had since the end of the fight under Soligi seems to be worn thin.
"I'm just saying it might be wise to... be sure our testimonies corroborate -- if you intend to prosecute."
Sevan's grin is remarkably cruel. "With the fine weather now, on our way back, it doesn't seem likely they could tragically fall into the sea and drown. Injustice won't resolve itself. But then there is the problem -- I'm not really supposed to be out here. What was supposed to be a pleasant detour has made me late. Very late. And a trial could be lengthy."

HBar posted:

Get our stories straight, maybe recruit her if she’s interested.
"They're trash, yes. Is prosecuting them even worth your time?"
"What are you thinking? Yes!"
"But is it really? Very soon I'll be heading back the mainland to deal with some business of my own. And if I recall, the continent is where you've got all your own business. Which is very late. Why not leave the dregs of society out here and come with me?"
"Business you say. Much like the business in the village? Zlata, what do you think you possibly give me that would convince me to do anything like that? You're going to 'make amends' for the 'dregs' out of the goodness of your heart? You are a decent woman, but that isn't the entirety of the situation and we both know it."
"Well, you know Stampy, and have seen we have horses. Real horses, not the mules they have dragging carts in most places. That would speed up your own business, if you didn't need to travel so slowly."

"Close, but not good enough." She leans back. "The tickets or what boat I chose wouldn't have prevented the indignity of what happened as much as if I had a real bodyguard."
Considering the claws of her left hand, she continues. "Give me Tobias."
"What are you thinking? Absolutely not!"
"If we would be travelling together it isn't as if you'll never see him again. Nothing strange or too dangerous is going to happen."
"Out of the question, he isn't going swear fealty to you, he'd never agree! A crocodile of a kobold--"
Sevan looks up and her smile this time is pleasant, if mischievous. "Then consider this..."
    You negotiate for a while and come to a possible deal:
  • Sevan will abandon prosecution and disregard the other castaways, for now. No messy trial. If there's any inquiry you'll both be out of the kingdom.
  • She'll travel with you and help your business, unless anything unusual comes up which means she needs to leave. If she runs across Taiwo or Orn again, she intends to have a short private meeting.
  • Toby will remain your vassal, and you'll simply order him to be Sevan's personal guard. Not a servant or anything like that. If she wants to go into some town or the like, he'll be there.
  • Occasionally she will need to break off and deliver or accept various messages and do other diplomatic things at certain kobold warrens. Toby will accompany her while she does this. (Generally these warrens of her people are not obvious to outsiders and are usually hidden. You aren't going to get much of a forewarning about when this may happen.)
  • In a few years, if the agreement still holds, Toby will need to return to Kam Indah. Sevan will pay for this bodyguard arrangement by paying for this, so you don't have to. If it comes down to it, she'll go with him and make sure he comes back alive. She'll also pay you an additional periodic stipend for his guard work in the meantime.
  • Sevan comes right out and says she doesn't know much about what "business" you need to conduct, and won't overly pry. Of course you'll extend to her the same courtesy.
  • This is an agreement between peers. She's not one of your loyal thugs. Either of you can cancel the agreement for any reason or no reason.
  • Shazgob gra-Luzgan. Truly a sorry end. Really his family should have those things. Sevan thinks you two should split his possessions. ⅔ - ⅓, in your favor.
"Why though? Why Toby? He's a decent soldier and footman and all, but why not just hire someone from the Guild? Or one of my other vassals, Mary's a solid monster hunter, of all things."
"Because he's pleasant and gentlemanly for a commoner and I trust him. If things had been different I'd be arguing to hire Mary instead. I think I owe you more than just a book, Zlata. But I'm not really in a position to give you everything I own right here right now." Sevan's a bit... not exactly touchy, not flinching about it, but... she's sometimes hard to read.

"Think of it as a sort of lend-lease arrangement."
Do you accept this deal of Sevan's?
1:
Yes.
2: No. Sevan won't die because you rejected the deal, and will make sure to minimize anything which could cause you blowback.
3: Yes, but you're keeping all of Shazgob's trash. Sevan will instead pay the first installment up front right now. She's fine doing this instead.

:rolldice: barely time for one last thing.
What do you do last, before arriving at the capital.?
A:
Write up a testimony regarding the castaways, just in case. Be up front about killing Purnam but leave out the parts where you looted.
B: Spend some time talking with the two commoner castaways. Get a feel for how they plan to testify about what happened if a trial were to start. Maybe some gentle extortion for saving their lives?
C: Go to bread. Bed. Go to bed. A quick nap at least.
D: Spend time consulting the captain about these events your people saw and what their ominous meaning could be, and the general state of things. He'd know more, wouldn't he?
E: Examine your sword to see if it's actually damaged in any way, or haunted or some intolerable bullshit.
F: f u Indah. Copy his secret knowledge scroll. Genuinely possible this could really gently caress you up if you aren't ready for it, but it's not like you're closely studying it, just duplicating it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

D

To be clear, whether you were talking up Sevan or not, we really did need to talk to her first anyway.

As far as Shazgob's stuff, I never actually asked about the logistics of this. Would we need to track down any of his family, if it still exists, since his home village burned down or whatever? Not as a practicality, but more as a pragmatic nobility thing. Keeping in our social status, how much should we actually care about this?

... I'm also curious which 1/3 she would choose.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
didn't try to, but depending on what order you did things what happened could have ended up different. Different deal, different events on the ship, etc. I did have it partway to updated in that direction.

:airquote: technically :airquote: somebody should at least try to get the stuff back to his family. You're the best positioned to actually do this and a noble and nobody will question it. Nobody's really going to know if you keep it instead -- it doesn't seem likely they'd ever be able to send someone to figure out what happened, even if they are still alive. Possibly they might have fled towards Frigg or some other major city if they made it out, but you just don't know what actually happened and won't know more until you can collect your crew or someone's able to reply.

If you wanted to you could try to track down any survivors and give them back his stuff, and they'd surely be foreverally grateful and all that. In normal circumstances you should probably have it all shipped to them or give it to the local authorities to deal with.

As far as the actual split, Sevan wants to wait until it's safe to go through everything, which honestly may be a pretty good idea.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
D

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
D live by the sword, die by the sword.

E:vv +1 talk to Toby, this should be his decision

Outrail fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Oct 13, 2023

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Tell Sevan we want to discuss with Toby first. This is too big of a task to just order him if he hates the idea.

D if we still have time after checking with Toby.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Sevan def is completely fine with you thinking it over, although she would like a decision by the time you make it to the capital.

Toby throws up his hands in consternation.
"Look, fine. If she doesn't act like a weirdo too much or get me into a tragic accident or some stupid bullshit, I'm fine with it, boss."
"That's... it?"
"Yeah I guess so. I think we would have had a rough time down there without her. If she doesn't drag us into anything it doesn't seem like a problem. If these 'warrens' are some messed up crap you should break it off. If she's too weird, break it off. When she's normal she's normal, but if she's gonna be freaking me out I don't want her coming with me all the way out to Kam Indah's. I don't think I can take her on in a fight, to be honest. We don't want her murdering anybody in their sleep either. If somebody accidentally pisses her off she's gonna tell you, right? Nobody's gonna wake up dead, right? If she seemed ok when you talked to her she's going to stay ok -- right? I guess she seems normal enough to me. If you decide to go for it I'll let you know how it goes."

Hm. Well it's not complicated at all, from Toby's point of view.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Bring Toby in as a full and frank party to the negotiation. Let her field his questions and concerns directly.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

AJ_Impy posted:

Bring Toby in as a full and frank party to the negotiation. Let her field his questions and concerns directly.

Noble Scion & Retinue posted:

This is not a great idea for two reasons:

First, Toby is your man, feudally. You don't own him, but he's yours. This isn't "I say jump, you say how high," but if you tell him to do this he is going to do it. You're the boss and call the shots. He backs you and you take care of him. He explicitly signed up for this when he bent the knee. You retain him and his service, he is your retainer, and it's your decision how his services should be rendered.

Second, Toby for sure (and probably Sevan) is not going to really be OK with this. Toby is alright with being frank with you and even criticizing you because he knows you aren't going to flip tables over it. You're close. You've let your vassals call you Z at times -- Toby is never going to let your aunt hear him call her anything but Lady Eluned, and isn't going to want to say any of what he told you directly to Sevan.

People like Toby have few options. Live on some dirt farm, marry some half decent fellow slug, die a halfmile away from where you were born. Hope against famine or disease or war. Not a bad life, not an amazing one. Or maybe weasel your way into a trade through the system of guilds. Or do something that ends with an outlaw's noose. Try to join a monastery.

Or, for a few, end up with someone like you. Yes, you got him crippled -- & then traveled across the world to get him back to normal. Would a guildsman have this awesome horse and incredible armor? Been to any of these places? Taiwo barely made it one city away. The majority of people don't last as wandering "adventurers" or mercenaries. This works. You're holding up your side of the oath, he will hold up his.

And he is right, if she didn't save both of your lives, she did make a strong contribution to the Purnam situation. As far as he's concerned that counts for something.

Do you want to make Toby question Sevan's sanity, honor, & decency -- to her face -- less than a day after she spent this time in dire conditions? y/n

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
No.

If Toby is happy with the arrangement then we are too. But if Toby wants out at any point the deal is off. If Sevan gets wierd to kills known people without prior discussion the deal is off etc etc.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Yeah if Toby comes back and is like "Zlata this is not cool i didn't sign up for this" it's already covered, you can cancel and not have to give a reason

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
1 Yes

Ask Sevan about her wound, explaining the situation with:

E Ichor on Sword

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Outrail posted:

No.

If Toby is happy with the arrangement then we are too. But if Toby wants out at any point the deal is off. If Sevan gets wierd to kills known people without prior discussion the deal is off etc etc.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
The captain isn't particularly sure about what may have happened out there. Odd storms come up sometimes, but Lemon's description of colored lightning is particularly odd. The weather's been fine for a while now, normal rains, no typhoons, nothing dangerous. As far as he knows the only military activity has always been against pirates and renegades -- the Spice Islands has good relations with Xoma and Zbub, and would never have a reason to try and bring arms to bear against them. For generations, as far as he knows. As long as the King has been the king. Several times he's sailed to both of those cities.

A bad omen, surely. He doubts the ships were actually wrecked, and if they were then rescue would arrive quickly.

--

You arrive at the capital and dock. Sevan wants to know if she should bother having all her things unloaded.
Is she coming with you in exchange for Toby being her bodyguard? Toby is ok with this.

Do you accept this deal of Sevan's?
1:
Yes. You'll divide Shazgob's personal effects, ⅔ - ⅓, you get more. The actual split will happen when you're out of the Islands.
2: No. Sevan won't die because you rejected the deal, and will make sure to minimize anything which could cause you blowback.
3: Yes, but you're keeping all of Shazgob's trash. Sevan will instead pay the first installment up front right now. She's fine doing this instead.

After this you need to deliver the scroll, and then it's on towards Zbub, City of Guilds, or as some people call it, Bug City. Might be worth it to try and buy up things that aren't easy to get outside the islands, but unless you want to do it yourself it'd be faster to have somebody else do it.

Is there anything extra you want your vassals to do before you leave? Write in. Otherwise they'll wait until you come back.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
3 and try to return Shazgob's stuff to their remaining family, as mentioned earlier

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Lux Anima posted:

3 and try to return Shazgob's stuff to their remaining family, as mentioned earlier
This

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Lux Anima posted:

Ya

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
By the time you return with your answer lines have been thrown and the ship's docked. Sevan's completely cleaned up her cabin and carefully packed up everything she owns. The weapons, the armor, everything except the clothes on her back. The tub's been gone and there's no trace of the tarp.

"Fine." She narrows her eyes in feigned displeasure before smiling. "That orc had some tricks up his sleeve, you know. But I suppose that's fair."
She opens a chest of luggage and tosses you a small bag of coins. "Tricks? What do you mean?"

Noble Scion & Retinue posted:

A bizarre mix of coinage, but this is about double the normal mercenary's pay. Not as much as a ranking guildsman's pay, but a nice chunk.

"Do you really think that weasel only had one little 'holdout?' After the worms crawl off this ship I plan on a quick market trip, unless you'd have us headed back towards the continent instantly."
"No, I've got a few things to do myself."

--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQq3Jwz0bDQ

Esmail. An old man whiling away his last days getting doped up. As the sun rises, it also sets. He's easy enough to find, being in the exact same spot and under the exact same conditions as last time.
When you hand him the scroll, he seems a bit surprised. "He gave you this? No one has seen it? You haven't made copies?"
"Yes. No. No."
"Then it's well." He puts it in his robe. "Can I offer you any tea?"
"No. I think I've had enough of all this. Frankly."
"In that case, I'm given to believe our friend has moved. North, but also to the east. You may be able to find his old quarters in Zbub, but he won't be there."
"Nothing more precise than that?"
Esmail sips. "'Fraid not. Might be some months' travel by the time you reach the continent. Maybe north-northeast."
Well, that's better than practically anywhere. "Anything else?"
"No, that's really all the business we've got."

--

You bid Esmail fare thee well and return to the ship to rest. It's been a long one. By the time you wake up the commoners are long gone and Sevan's returned with Toby. "Really, it was fine. Basically stand around and look tough while she bought some things. Easy work, normal stuff. No shrunken heads or anything."
"So she seems like this is going to go fine? Nothing too weird?"
"Guess so. She did ask what I thought about this thing and that," Toby shrugs, "as if I know the difference between anything and anything. Looked fancy enough to me."
Well so far so good. Everyone's done and ready to leave the Spice Islands & return to the mainland.

You're going to need to track down and kill this inquisitor, but you also need to collect your imbecile dweebs from Kegslamnr. And eventually get home to at least check up on the place.

Last chance to do anything before departure: leave/write in
Unless anything insane comes up you can expect to get positive results out of maybe 4 of these.
What do you want to focus on while you travel back?
A:
Yeah, no. Nothing. ⏩
B: You still feel a little hoarse. See if your breath is working normally, if that resin had any lasting effect.
C: Swap notes with Sevan. About nobility stuff, but also swords and shooting. Hang out with her, essentially.
D: Go over all of your armor, everyone of yours'. The horses barding and all, make sure it's good.
E: Practice your archery & clobbering. There's going to be some time to kill, might as well do it productively.
F: Study your various scrolls and books. Mess around with some music maybe. Poems.
G: You know, Stampy and the horses should be fine. Make sure they are. You'll need them to get anywhere faster than a snail.
H: Spend time with your people, be sure their needs are met and they're doing well.
I: See if you can get any kind of positive reaction out of this pixie.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

H, we’ve been away from our people for too long and it’s time to reconnect.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
H and go.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

HBar posted:

H, we’ve been away from our people for too long and it’s time to reconnect.

H

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

G, then H, then D

The people can tell us themselves if they're in trouble, the animals less so.

I if we have time, see if we can get our eternally cursed fairie to at least tell us if they want strawberries or something, even if we can't permanently kill them.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I'm getting around to the update. You want em all (your followers) as one big lump or separate, easier to digest posts?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Whatever is better for you. If some are ready to roll dribble em out?

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
HDBC, 55% Y

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Outrail posted:

Whatever is better for you. If some are ready to roll dribble em out?

Yeah, dunno, got some bullshit going on but i was able to keep tacking things to the draft without it crashing and deleting all the work.

Lux Anima posted:

HDBC, 55% Y

have basically no idea how to interpret this lol

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

SniperWoreConverse posted:

have basically no idea how to interpret this lol
Oh I thought you said we got 4 things to do, so that's my priority order, and the Y is to your writing Q with a low, tie-breaker level of confidence

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Lux Anima posted:

Oh I thought you said we got 4 things to do, so that's my priority order, and the Y is to your writing Q with a low, tie-breaker level of confidence

oh poo poo lol at first this was getting me more confused because i was like "option Q what the gently caress am I going insane!?" Well, too late I did the whole thing. Revote your next choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYE5kGZKh-8

Lemon's uncharacteristically nervous and continually paces the deck whenever she's not sleeping. Even when she's eating, she's pacing back and forth. And not as a dog, either.

Well Read & Diamond Bolt School posted:

Like most cynics she can switch back and forth, and like most cynics she doesn't give a drat about social conventions or norms. Cynics could be considered something like the "good" version of werewolves, in that they're not evil magicians hell bent on murderous crimes.

No, they're mostly just losers. Lemon in particular almost always stays as a dog, except for when she's being a disgusting slob. She doesn't ask for anything almost ever, usually eats metaphorical trash and literal garbage, wears what's practically rags, and barely contributes anything.

But... so far it hasn't been a problem letting her tag along. She's not your vassal and isn't going to be, but she's essentially a free source of relatively plausible advice. Ehh, advice that's "philosophical?" She's not trained in debate or anything, but seems to have some grasp of what Orabela might call "Ground." Sort of like "how it is." Something like that. There're different ways of getting this, by training, or contemplation, or reading old scrolls and books and that sort of thing. Maybe alchemy or magic -- it's impossible to actually know unless you have it. Probably bullshit but it's supposed to be one of the ways to get Mega Ultra Powerful and is certainly one of the ways you've wasted huge amounts of your aunt's money by looking into it.

Swordswoman & Magic Charms posted:

Even if that's all fake, Lemon certainly has a grasp on something concrete: a silver sword. Worse than worthless as a physical weapon, it's not a silvered blade, but literally a sword made of pure silver. It's probably worth a ridiculously huge shitload of money, but it's also the exact kind of priceless thing that would be nearly impossible to buy or sell, because it's very magically powerful.

As far as you can tell, if the wrong person even touches it they'd probably instantly die. For whatever incomprehensible reason, Lemon is not in this category and carries it around no problem. She says it's an old relic of Zuen, who is the god of divine might. You have not ever found even a single scrap of evidence that this is the case, but it does continually emit a pleasant, soft music -- even while she's a dog. She hasn't really put it down since she picked it up in ruined old temple and keeps it wrapped in scraps of cloth. Whatever Lemon claims it is, it does seem to be an important ritual implement of some kind.

So you let Lemon follow you around. She's an unemployable vagrant with nothing better to do and is pleased to lightly mooch off your generosity every once in a while. Except lately she hasn't been pleased at all.
"You know, if you keep this up you're going to make yourself sick."
"Thanks for the update, Doc." She doesn't stop.
"Bad signs, Lem. Compulsive, aimless wandering like this might mean you're cracking up."
:boom: "Yeah right here. There's something going on out there Zlata. You should be more vigilant."
"You should wash your rancid rear end, half the ship's gonna drown themselves so they don't have to smell it."
"You ever gonna start paying attention to anything? Take a watch and I'll think about it."
"Anything else you want? Clothes? I think I got a swamp-stained blanket that isn't so lovely."
She stops and gives you a look.

--

Mary, on the other hand, is not and has never been 3d pig disgusting. You can't be smelled from a mile away and still hope to maintain good standing in the Guild of Monster Hunters because any monsters serious enough to get a guild bounty would get alerted before you made it remotely close. She's a lower ranking member, but proud of it. She wouldn't be in if you hadn't scammed her way.

She's currently going through the process of preserving and, well, processing the few monster parts you were able to retrieve from the island. Mostly the leftover parts of whatever that thing was:

The parts that didn't get eaten.

"Any ideas what it was?"
"Dunno. The skin's like a big cat, but more like a cow? Not sure what kine."
"Was that a pun? What do you think should be done with it?"
She tosses a scraper aside and considers. "Well, I'm thinking this is going to make a pretty fine cloak. It got a little messed up on the way back, but it's in pretty good shape, everything considered."
"Oh yeah?"
"Yeah. See you can brush it and it has a different shades of black. Question is what you're going to want to do with it."

Poetics posted:

Back home in the north, and everywhere else to some extent, but especially in the Hunters', having an exotic pelt is a mark of status. Badassery. Barbarian horselords and noble knights alike will usually have some kind of wolf, or leopard, or even tiger pelt along with their silvered armor and gold-banded spears and all that. Tales of old, songs of heroes and villains. It's a thing. Ignoring money, this pelt is going to be pretty valuable when Mary's done.

"Well, when we get to Zbub, go to the guild and try to figure out what it was." You tell her everything about what happened and the circumstances of the fight.
"Interesting. They would've immediately known in any Spice Islands guildhall, but I'm sure they'll know in Zbub, too."
"So how about you? Has this whole trip been worth it?"
She's a bit boggled. "Yes. Have you seen Toby? It was boring as it gets for the rest of us, but better to get dragged out here and wait than let him stay crippled. Miss Sevan though... isn't it a little odd? I can't put my finger on it, but she's -- that skull, picture that. No problem at all peeling the skin or scooping brains or anything. Zlata, do dignitaries act like that?"
"No, but she's no princess either. I suppose she just doesn't have people."
Mary shrugs. "She was asking me about how I was scraping this hide and what I'd have done different if I'd been there. Really, uh, congenial, actually. Friendly."
"I've gotten my hands dirty before, too. She's friendly in a good way though?"
She flips the skin back over to the meat side and goes back to working it. "Yes, but when's the last time you did anything like this, been elbow deep in something gross without it being a fight?"
"Hm." Bit of a point, "But you're doing fine yourself, right?"
Mary laughs. "Honestly I'm just glad to have something to do again, boss."

--

Felix also has something to do again.
"Relaxing. I've been staring at that eye spell for 100,000 years, waiting to see if you'd be coming back or not. Checking for mail." He flomps out of his hammock and gets to his feet before more quietly continuing. "You know I can read, not the best, but I saw those return addresses. Diot's got us in trouble. Zbub has a road going up there, but Perval'd be faster -- we could just go upriver. We came all the way out here for Toby, but aren't going the fastest way back."
"...no it's not the fastest way."
"No it ain't." He leans against the wall of his cabin. "Zbub. City of Guilds. Bug City. It's no Frigg and sure as poo poo is not a real kingdom. They won't put massive weight on status there, unless it's guild status. You an Miss Sevan won't be leaning on noble blood. Plenty of letters from Aunt Ell. So it's a job."
"What are you getting at? You suddenly want out?"
"No." Felix grabs his hat and fidgets with it, a little hurt. "No. I just think it could be worth filling in the blanks."
"Could be. Can you do a spell to speed this up? Extra wind?"
He hangs his hat up and shakes his head. "Might sink the boat, might do nothing."
You smile and clap his shoulder. "Well, just relax for a little while."
Palms up, he smiles back. "Planning on it."

--

Toby is relaxing but not-relaxing. You find him in his cabin, absentmindedly tracing his tattoos.
"Can you knock!?"
"You left it half open. Lucky a wave didn't start it slamming."
He sighs and starts putting on a shirt. "Lucky nobody else saw. Real suspicious look."
"You're regretting it?"
"Hell no!" he laughs, "I feel better than I did before."
"It was pretty messed up."
"No, I feel better. Than before then. Healthier. Looking back on it, maybe Kam Indah was not the way to go -- slogging through all that. But he was the way to go. Know what I mean?"
"Not really. Your argument to haul out there made sense, but it blew up completely, right from the start."
"I'm just thinking things will be different now. Not what I expected, but better."
"Oh! Of course I get what you're saying now, Tobias."
"That's not funny, at all. Nobody wants attention from an insane killer, and I specifically said I'd be fine with it as long as it didn't get weird. Boom! You of all people start making it weird."
"lovely joke, yeah. Yeah. Has it been weird? Want me to break it off?"
"No, it's been fine. She's polite, doesn't intrude, hasn't been bothering me -- or anyone, I suppose. Isn't stuck up and seems to have no problems talking to the rabble..."
"But?"
"We were talking out on deck and you know, I realized her face isn't as bad off as it seemed. Now that she's cleaned up. Those inkstains aren't coming off any time soon though. You might not want to notice. She goes out of her way to hide them."

--

So Toby seems to be doing very well and is overall glad with how everything's happened. Your retinue seems satisfied with the state of things, and is going to be ready to roll as soon as you disembark. They have raised some minor concerns.

Lemon is maybe not genuinely truly repulsive, but it wouldn't be bad to get her more up to standard.
Lemon will clean up her act more if you agree to take some time on watch. Do it? y/N
Obviously you can keep the monster pelt... but, you could give it to Mary. It could improve her status in the guild.
Mary can scam up a functional lie to gain rank in the Hunters' Guild. Give pelt? y/N
Felix is of the opinion that knowing is half the battle and it would be better to have some idea.
Tell your crew what the situation is with Diot Vail & your assassination target? y/N
(skipping these means I'm going to assume you're actually voting no)

What do you want to focus on next?
A:
Nothing. ⏩
B: You still feel hoarse. See if your breath is working normally.
C: Hang out with Sevan.
D: Go over all of your crew's armor.
E: Practice your archery & combat.
F: Study your various scrolls and books. Compositions.
G: Make sure the animals are fit and healthy.
H: See if you can do anything for the pixie.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Lemon: Y - doggirl needs a bath
Mary: N - compensate her, but our beast kill skin gets hung in our home IMO
Tell Crew plans: Y

H: Pixie and Lemon should hang

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Y
Y
Y
G
, make sure the animals are ready for the journey. A little time now could save a lot of time later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
YYY

Is our sword checked and clean? If not, that. If it's good then G