Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

spankmeister posted:

Just enable the HTML5 beta on YouTube. :)

Wasn't aware of that. Cheerio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?
Does anyone here have success stories for using USB3 with linux?

I've tried to use the onboard USB3 on a Gigabyte GA-Z86X-UD3H-B3, which is an Etron EJ168 chipset, with a USB3 hub but devices connected to the hub are not visible. USB3 devices are visible when plugged directly into the onboard controller, but eventually the USB3 controller appears to stop working at all after some time, sleep, or reboots. Devices no longer connect when plugged into the controller. It's pretty annoying. It's not really linux specific, the same thing happens in Windows 7 too, so maybe it's an Etron chipset thing.

Does anyone have experience using an expansion card made with the NEC chipset? If so, is it reliable?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The NEC USB3 chip was the first chip widely available and the ONLY chip on the market for quite some time. Support for USB3 with that chip has been in the kernel for quite a while now.

I don't have any personal experience with it on linux, just windows, but I'd hazard a guess that you'd have better luck with the NEC chipset.

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.
Is it normal that in order to add new lines to things (e.g., echo, awk, etc.), I have to do \\n instead of just \n? Am I doing it wrong or is there a different way to do it?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Crush posted:

Is it normal that in order to add new lines to things (e.g., echo, awk, etc.), I have to do \\n instead of just \n? Am I doing it wrong or is there a different way to do it?

No its normal because the shell wants to interpret the \ so you add another \ before it to escape it.

You can also use single quotes: '\n' should work. You can put multiple codes in that way like '\n\r'

flink
Aug 30, 2003
superduperman
My Ubuntu 10.04 x64 server was acting strange with ssh initially. It would close the putty window immediately once I authenticated and other ssh-related services (nx, sftp) would give errors, preventing login. I couldn't figure out the problem so I restarted the machine, but now I get this:
code:
run-init: /sbin/init: No such file or directory
[    2.807620] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init
I've booted into a livecd and mounted the filesystem and the file is there, and my wild guess is something grub related, but I don't know anything further than that (such as where to check/edit). What should I do next?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

flink posted:

My Ubuntu 10.04 x64 server was acting strange with ssh initially. It would close the putty window immediately once I authenticated and other ssh-related services (nx, sftp) would give errors, preventing login. I couldn't figure out the problem so I restarted the machine, but now I get this:
code:
run-init: /sbin/init: No such file or directory
[    2.807620] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init
I've booted into a livecd and mounted the filesystem and the file is there, and my wild guess is something grub related, but I don't know anything further than that (such as where to check/edit). What should I do next?

Have you done 'fsck' on each filesystem? (try /sda1 or whatever your /boot is first)

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
I'm guessing init is missing from the initrd. It should be a symlink to upstart I think.

flink
Aug 30, 2003
superduperman

Bob Morales posted:

Have you done 'fsck' on each filesystem? (try /sda1 or whatever your /boot is first)

I have used fsck and e2fsck to check the boot and root partitions and they came out clean. I've also used smartctl and the drive does pass SMART.

Zom Aur posted:

I'm guessing init is missing from the initrd. It should be a symlink to upstart I think.

I don't quite understand what this means. I looked at a screenshot which had a symlink from initrd.img to the actual image file, which I did not have. I created it but I still get the same error.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Have you recently upgraded kernels? (due to system updates)

flink
Aug 30, 2003
superduperman

Bob Morales posted:

Have you recently upgraded kernels? (due to system updates)

I don't think so, though there's a chance that I updated and then forgot to restart the server. Should I try to rollback anyway?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

flink posted:

I don't think so, though there's a chance that I updated and then forgot to restart the server. Should I try to rollback anyway?

Not sure. Sometimes if you have very old or new hardware the support can get weird from one version to another.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

flink posted:

I don't quite understand what this means. I looked at a screenshot which had a symlink from initrd.img to the actual image file, which I did not have. I created it but I still get the same error.
The initrd is a small image that is loaded with the kernel on boot. This might be needed if you need special drivers that the kernel doesn't have built in (but available as modules). After the modules are loaded through the initrd, it'll mount the new root and run /sbin/init, which (I guess) should be a symlink to upstart (which is the init system used in ubuntu).

You could try booting from a livecd and recreating the initrd (I think update-initramfs is the command, but I don't remember), or you could try booting an older kernel.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

flink posted:

I have used fsck and e2fsck to check the boot and root partitions and they came out clean. I've also used smartctl and the drive does pass SMART.

Did you not have the link or the image file?

Zom Aur posted:

The initrd is a small image that is loaded with the kernel on boot. This might be needed if you need special drivers that the kernel doesn't have built in (but available as modules). After the modules are loaded through the initrd, it'll mount the new root and run /sbin/init, which (I guess) should be a symlink to upstart (which is the init system used in ubuntu).

You could try booting from a livecd and recreating the initrd (I think update-initramfs is the command, but I don't remember), or you could try booting an older kernel.

For clarities sake, remember to chroot into the partition on your hard drive before running update-initramfs.

flink
Aug 30, 2003
superduperman

Longinus00 posted:

Did you not have the link or the image file?

For clarities sake, remember to chroot into the partition on your hard drive before running update-initramfs.

I did not have the link. And I tried to chroot earlier but kept getting a 'bin/bash' not found error, despite it existing on both the livecd and /mnt.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Too often I lose track of time playing a game or browsing the internet. I'm looking for some kind of app that might help remind me to go to bed if I'm on my computer late at night. Basically make it pop up or beep or whatever thing to annoy me after a certain set time until I go to bed. Has anyone seen an app that would do something like that? Ideally it would detect if the computer is in use, rather simply turned on, since I leave it on more or less 24/7 (gotta keep my BOINC scores up).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

peepsalot posted:

Too often I lose track of time playing a game or browsing the internet. I'm looking for some kind of app that might help remind me to go to bed if I'm on my computer late at night. Basically make it pop up or beep or whatever thing to annoy me after a certain set time until I go to bed. Has anyone seen an app that would do something like that? Ideally it would detect if the computer is in use, rather simply turned on, since I leave it on more or less 24/7 (gotta keep my BOINC scores up).

Alarm clock for 10:30 or whatever time you need to go to bed?

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

peepsalot posted:

There are Firefox plugins that can do this, and I'd assume there is some kinda of program you can run that will lock you out of an app after a certain time, but is a buzzing noise really what you want?

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

peepsalot posted:

You might do something like running sleep x; cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp before you start browsing SA.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Longinus00 posted:

You might do something like running sleep x; cat /dev/urandom > /dev/dsp before you start browsing SA.

Yes, and also /dev/mouse0 :D

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online

Longinus00 posted:

This doesn't work on many modern distros, but
code:
cat /dev/urandom | aplay
will.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

spankmeister posted:

Yes, and also /dev/mouse0 :D
This is actually awesome, since it lets me leave the computer running, and only works when I'm actively using it.

I did a bit of research and found that I have to do this to work on Ubuntu 11.10:
code:
sudo cat /dev/input/mice | padsp tee /dev/dsp > /dev/null
It buffers up some data, and then lets out a chirp every once in a while as long as you are using the mouse. I think I will put this in a cron job, and maybe see if I can make a second cron job in the morning that will kill it after I wake up.

Keebler
Aug 21, 2000
Wondering if anyone might have any suggestions, I think I have a bit of a chicken and an egg sort of problem.

I'm trying to load Fedora 16 off the live CD in preparation of doing an install. Unfortunately the machine I'm running on doesn't have a CD/DVD drive. I've created live CD on a USB stick and it seems to do the initial boot to the loader okay. Once the boot kicks off though it hangs with the following message:

xhci_hcd failed to enable MSI-X

I think this means it can't load the drivers for USB 3.0. The board I'm using has an integrated chip that provides both USB 2 and USB 3 ports. The USB key is plugged into one of the USB 2 ports but I'm guessing that if there is some kind of driver/support issue with the underlying chip then it won't be able to boot off that either. I'm kind of at a loss since I can't even get to a command prompt. Is there anything I might be able to try in the loader to get this guy booted? The motherboard I'm using was released late last year, it's a ZOTAC Z68ITX-A-E.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Have you tried the F17 alpha or Rawhide or whatever they call it now?

Keebler
Aug 21, 2000
Not yet but I can give that a try tonight and see if it comes up.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I think you can blacklist drivers from the kernel boot line?

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

I've got two wonderful centos 6.x questions!

1) the centos-release package includes a bunch of /etc/yum.repos.d/ entries that go out to the centos mirrors on the internet to get packages. We have a local mirror here and want to use that instead. Is there a way to use Kickstart to exclude those .repo files, or are we stuck with my current terrible solution of overwriting them and hoping that a future package doesn't replace them?

2) Said local repo has an ancient jre in it to support an internal application. Unfortunately it's rpm 3.0.3, which means I can't sign it with our internal key using rpm --resign. :( rpmrebuild won't touch it either. Is there some command I'm missing that upgrades an rpm3 package to rpm4?

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:

Bob Morales posted:

is the atomic repo for fedora worth using? i tried installing w3af from it but it doesn't launch.

I don't know about w3af, but I've got it on a few servers for the PHP 5.2 packages and it seems to work fine.

ed. sorry, thought I was at the last page

Tad Naff fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 11, 2012

Erasmus Darwin
Mar 6, 2001

xarph posted:

Is there a way to use Kickstart to exclude those .repo files, or are we stuck with my current terrible solution of overwriting them and hoping that a future package doesn't replace them?

They should be marked as config files in the rpm, so any updates by CentOS will show up with the .rpmnew suffix instead of overwriting your versions. However, I don't have a CentOS 6 box handy to confirm. You can check by doing 'rpm -qlc centos-release'.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

peepsalot posted:

This is actually awesome, since it lets me leave the computer running, and only works when I'm actively using it.

Actually, I meant the other way around where you'd cat urandom into mouse0, but your way is less destructive I suppose. :v:

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
I've been using Ubuntu for around a year now ( for web development and programming ) and I want to start experimenting a bit.

Where I want to move to is a desktop that's minimal and primarily use keybindings to get around, position stuff, and what not. Seems like flux or open box would do the trick there.

Anyway, I know this is a fairly open ended question, but there are ridiculous amounts of distros out there. Is there a recommended starting point that's light from the get go and has a lot of flexibility, in what you can install / do with the desktop?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

You might try crunchbang linux. It's based on Debian and using openbox WM.

Or you could install a tiling window manager such as awesome. Most tiling window managers(awesome included) are designed to be fully usable without the need for a mouse.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

peepsalot posted:

You might try crunchbang linux. It's based on Debian and using openbox WM.

Or you could install a tiling window manager such as awesome. Most tiling window managers(awesome included) are designed to be fully usable without the need for a mouse.

Awesome is pretty cool, I like it.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Maluco Marinero posted:

Anyway, I know this is a fairly open ended question, but there are ridiculous amounts of distros out there. Is there a recommended starting point that's light from the get go and has a lot of flexibility, in what you can install / do with the desktop?

If you want light from the get go with a lot of room for experimenting and flexibility, then I think the answer is Arch.

And Arch Linux install will start you with basically nothing at all, but the wiki is so well done that you should be able to get a desktop environment or window manager up and running within an hour or two, including the download time. From there, the more specific wiki pages or threads in the Arch Linux forum will basically show you how to take apart every config file remotely related to customiing your desktop and customize it. Seriously, these guys love toying with DEs/WMs, swapping around color schemes, and changing themes until they have their own unique desktop.

If you want keybindings on your desktop, without having to swap desktop environments you can add in programs like PyTyle (openbox, fluxbox, etc), bluetile (gnome), or just replace the window manager part of the DE with a tiling one like xmonad if you want.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Seconding Arch here. No GUI tool is ever going to go behind your back and gently caress things up with Arch. This is to contrast it from Ubuntu, where there was a GUI tool for everything but none of it quite worked correctly for me. If there's anything you don't know, the wiki has instructions for every piece of nontrivial software you might install, so it's not actually difficult to get running if you are patient and follow instructions.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I have never really understood the hype around arch, only thing people ever talk about is customizing their DE?

Someone want to explain it to me? or it is just customizing of the DE/WM

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Corvettefisher posted:

I have never really understood the hype around arch, only thing people ever talk about is customizing their DE?

It's much more than that. It's a distro that focuses on customizablility, simplicity and cutting-edge software.

Almost nothing is chosen for you, you get to decide everything you want on your system and how it gets configured.

This allows you a lot of freedom, but it's also a lot more work. It's not however, very hard to do, because the documentation is very clear.
The biggest downside is that there are about 5 different ways to do every little thing and choosing how to do something is harder than actually doing it.

Arch itself is more akin to *BSD, Slackware* or Gentoo in that way.

*Slackware deviates in that it doesn't really have any package management (afaik) while Gentoo and *BSD have. (very similar in fact).

Arch itself has pretty good package management with pacman. Anything not in the repositories can be installed using AUR, which puts the installed software nicely in your package management database.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 12, 2012

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Corvettefisher posted:

No, it's pretty much just for super custom DE/WM and minimalism, but it does that well. Also it has pretty much bleeding edge software all the time, although this is sometimes a bad thing, but definitely is the case of the AUR. Arch's best feature is probably their community though who aren't only hardcore Linux tweakers but love documenting the poo poo out of every little thing the find.

quote:

*Slackware deviates in that it doesn't really have any package management (afaik) while Gentoo and *BSD have. (very similar in fact).

Arch itself has pretty good package management with pacman. Anything not in the repositories can be installed using AUR, which puts the installed software nicely in your package management database.

Slackware, does in fact have an official package manager, slackpkg, as well as some unofficial ones for community "repos".

Arch and pacman jst got package signing recently, and I don't believe the AUR has it at all, so you have to keep in mind that anything installed form the AUR could be a security liability

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

text editor posted:

Arch and pacman jst got package signing recently, and I don't believe the AUR has it at all, so you have to keep in mind that anything installed form the AUR could be a security liability
The AUR doesn't have any form of signing for anything. Mostly because it almost always uses the official source package. Only thing you can go by is the account name and checking the PKGBUILD-file yourself. I don't think it'll ever get that kind of signing either.

So yeah, the AUR is insecure by definition.

Still, I find it pretty reliable, and making PKGBUILDS for custom projects beat having to clean up a mess of dependencies and installed files by yourself. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
If you do go with Arch the Beginner's Guide will get you through the installation. Once you're set up and running the rest of the wiki will get you through most any problem that might pop up.