Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

Sunny Side Up fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
Time and consistency. You might also try calling him a 'Bully!', as per Ian Dunbar:

http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/teaching-bite-inhibition

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

Sunny Side Up fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 8, 2014

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Sunny Side Up posted:

I thought the new puppy thread OP said you had to teach soft biting before 3 months old or else he'll be a biting monster forever :(

I dunno maybe it does I haven't read it

I've taught dogs of all ages not to be mouthy though sooooooo idk ymmv

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Between 8-12 weeks is the classic time to do it and you're right in the middle of that time. Puppies are stressful, but don't worry yourselves.

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.

2tomorrow posted:

Words about dogs

I appreciate this and I'll pass it along to my sister.

I forgot to mention that Ginny is often a colossal asshat to both Nia(papillon) and Mickey(chihuahua). Recently Nia and Ginny have finally reached a point where they can both be out in the kitchen at the same time without it sounding like the third world war. Mickey just hates Ginny, but she did bowl him over when they first met and I think he's holding a grudge.

I'll start looking into dog trainers in the area and hopefully we'll find someone who can help us with this and a few other things I'd like to see worked on.
So very glad I own cats. Much less hassle. :)

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Just took Max to the vet for his dental consultation, and the vet decided all three of his broken teeth are beyond saving so we set up an appointment to get them pulled in a week and a half.

I've been doing some online research for aftercare, and what I've found ranges from "only give him chunks of soft meat" to "just give him his regular kibble he'll be fine". I'm sure I'll get after care instructions from the vet when I go to pick him up, but I'd like to stock up on any special food beforehand so I don't have to leave him alone while I run out to the store.

Anyone else have their dog's teeth extracted? What was recovery like for them? Any particularly good brands of canned soft food or ones to avoid?

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

Superconsndar posted:

I dunno maybe it does I haven't read it

I've taught dogs of all ages not to be mouthy though sooooooo idk ymmv

Yeah most of my serious dog experience is with a notoriously bitey breed (ACDs :allears:) and I've taught biters as old as 12 (years, that is) to knock it off. It's not hard, it just takes time and patience and consistency.

And even so I have a 7 year old and a 10 year old who both sometimes forget and bite a bit hard. They just get overexcited and need to be reminded. Puppies are like young kids, they sometimes honestly cannot control themselves. 10 weeks isn't that old to be teaching this stuff, assuming he wasn't sent home until he was at least 8 weeks old. If he's only biting hard when he's hyped up and not in "training mode," you're doing pretty well IMO. At that point I'd probably be looking more at stopping the bite in more controlled circumstances, and redirecting it to appropriate areas (such as a tug toy) during high-energy stuff like play time.

Canadian Bakin posted:

I appreciate this and I'll pass it along to my sister.

I forgot to mention that Ginny is often a colossal asshat to both Nia(papillon) and Mickey(chihuahua). Recently Nia and Ginny have finally reached a point where they can both be out in the kitchen at the same time without it sounding like the third world war. Mickey just hates Ginny, but she did bowl him over when they first met and I think he's holding a grudge.

I'll start looking into dog trainers in the area and hopefully we'll find someone who can help us with this and a few other things I'd like to see worked on.
So very glad I own cats. Much less hassle. :)

No problem. Sounds like it might be a problem on Ginny's part, or it might be a management issue. If you guys are in the US, you might even look into a session at Petsmart if you're having no luck with private trainers. You want to look for someone who uses positive methods. I use positive methods in all my training, but I really think it's essential in this sort of thing, because often traditional force-based methods increase anxiety and so are counterproductive in a reactive dog.

Anyway, Petsmart trainers vary in quality but they do have to learn the corporate-endorsed positive methods. They're not necessarily the first ones I'd recommend, but in some areas they're the best option, particularly since there's a store in most major cities. If you're comfortable posting a city, people might be able to give more specific recommendations.

And I don't know, my dogs are easy but my cats are a pain in the rear end. It's all a matter of perspective. ;)

2tomorrow fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 18, 2012

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

2tomorrow posted:

At that point I'd probably be looking more at stopping the bite in more controlled circumstances, and redirecting it to appropriate areas (such as a tug toy) during high-energy stuff like play time.

Redirecting onto toys may backfire if you're raising a retriever and plan to hunt with them.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Just took Max to the vet for his dental consultation, and the vet decided all three of his broken teeth are beyond saving so we set up an appointment to get them pulled in a week and a half.

I've been doing some online research for aftercare, and what I've found ranges from "only give him chunks of soft meat" to "just give him his regular kibble he'll be fine". I'm sure I'll get after care instructions from the vet when I go to pick him up, but I'd like to stock up on any special food beforehand so I don't have to leave him alone while I run out to the store.

Anyone else have their dog's teeth extracted? What was recovery like for them? Any particularly good brands of canned soft food or ones to avoid?

Generally we advise soft, chunky food for about 5 days. You want it to be soft enough that they don't have to chew too much, but not soft enough that it gets stuck in any holes. It does depend which teeth are extracted and whether there are any sutures.

We recommend these roll things which are soft but hold their shape.

The 'hard kibble is ok' thing may be for regular dental scale and polishes. Extractions are a bit different.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Not sure where to post this, but it's driving me nuts. When I was in Fort Lauderdale for work last weekend I spent some time at the beach. Within minutes of being in the water I attracted a school of silver fish that were about 3 to 6 inches long, compressed, and had a yellow stripe running their back, and had yellow tales. They just chilled near my legs and every once and while would take a little peck at my feet or sometimes rub against my leg. :3:

I spent an hour googling and came up with nothing but page after page of EXTREME FLORIDA ANGLING shitpages with nothing that looked like them. The closest thing I've come up with is maybe some kind of Shad?

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.
Sooo, our dog has developed a <something> on her stomach. It originally looked like an angry mosquito bite, then developed a "whitehead" like a zit. We thought it was just an inflamed mosquito or flea bite that our dog had been scratching/biting...so we left it alone.

The next day, it was more inflamed and redder. We started to worry and gave her some benadryl for the itching.

The next day it looked a lot better, much less red and a lot smaller.

Today, it's back to being large, a darker red and angry. It's sorta squishy to touch. Not entirely hard, but not entirely soft. It is oblong in shape, about an inch long by half an inch wide.

Any ideas? We've pretty much decided to take her to the vet on Monday but I'm curious to see what you guys say. I'll try to get a picture of it.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

Generally we advise soft, chunky food for about 5 days. You want it to be soft enough that they don't have to chew too much, but not soft enough that it gets stuck in any holes. It does depend which teeth are extracted and whether there are any sutures.

We recommend these roll things which are soft but hold their shape.

The 'hard kibble is ok' thing may be for regular dental scale and polishes. Extractions are a bit different.

He's getting both top canines and one bottom canine removed. He'll have sutures. My googling turned up mostly yahoo answers posts, which is why I came here to ask instead :)

Can I get those roll things at Petco or Petsmart? Thanks!

polyfractal posted:

Sooo, our dog has developed a <something> on her stomach. It originally looked like an angry mosquito bite, then developed a "whitehead" like a zit. We thought it was just an inflamed mosquito or flea bite that our dog had been scratching/biting...so we left it alone.

The next day, it was more inflamed and redder. We started to worry and gave her some benadryl for the itching.

The next day it looked a lot better, much less red and a lot smaller.

Today, it's back to being large, a darker red and angry. It's sorta squishy to touch. Not entirely hard, but not entirely soft. It is oblong in shape, about an inch long by half an inch wide.

Any ideas? We've pretty much decided to take her to the vet on Monday but I'm curious to see what you guys say. I'll try to get a picture of it.

Is there a chance this is a spider bite? It sounds like a spider bite I got myself once, looked like a mosquito bite at first, then got bigger and huge and red. If/when it drains it'll be nasty, just fyi.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

He's getting both top canines and one bottom canine removed. He'll have sutures. My googling turned up mostly yahoo answers posts, which is why I came here to ask instead :)

Can I get those roll things at Petco or Petsmart? Thanks!

I've seen natural balance rolls like that at Petsmart, I use them as training treats a lot. I'd call the vet to ask what they're going to suggest first though. Dog's don't chew with their canines so they might say regular kibble will be fine or have something specific they want you to have

polyfractal posted:

Definitely sounds like its time to see a vet. If it starts looking worse I'd see about taking her to an evet or one who is open weekends. You may even want to just call and ask if they think you should wait or take her in now. Infections aren't something to play around with.

My vet just posted that they're seeing a lot of cuterebras lately. People in NE Ohio with pets that spend a lot of time outdoors should keep an eye out. Those things are gross as hell.

polyfractal
Dec 20, 2004

Unwind my riddle.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Is there a chance this is a spider bite? It sounds like a spider bite I got myself once, looked like a mosquito bite at first, then got bigger and huge and red. If/when it drains it'll be nasty, just fyi.

Very possible. We live in South Carolina so there are all sorts of creepy, crawly things around. Our dog plays a lot in the grass behind our house and at the dog park.

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Definitely sounds like its time to see a vet. If it starts looking worse I'd see about taking her to an evet or one who is open weekends. You may even want to just call and ask if they think you should wait or take her in now. Infections aren't something to play around with.
Yeah, we were thinking the same. I'll call around today and see what the vets say.

Isosceles Waffle
Jul 11, 2012
I have an elderly pup (whippet/german shepherd mix of 14 years) who's likely on her last year or less of life. A year or two ago she began to go deaf and now she can't even hear anything unless it's extremely loud and high-pitched, and her eyes are somewhat milky though she can see well enough to discern hand gestures from a good few feet away (began doing that as she was going deaf -- wish I had known sooner, since she learned that poo poo ridiculously easily). The past year she's gotten fatty tumors right below her ribs and sebaceous gland blockages everywhere, and now she's slowly wasting thinner and thinner.

Now, she was never a really active dog (very whippetlike in that she'd go through spurts of extreme chillness sandwiched between short episodes of OHMYGODGOTTAFUCKINGRUN) but she sleeps and lies down with a sad mug a whole lot more than she used to from overall weakening of her muscles and the fact that she's quite clearly an old lady now. I just would like to hear any suggestions as to how I could help make her quiet world a little more (gently) lively for her for as long as she's with my family and I.

I've already begun being a good bit more lenient on not caving in to her begging for people food (mostly just stuff like little bits of cheese, a nibble of non-garlic'd/onion'd steak or popcorn) and have been occasionally cooking her a couple days' meals worth of lean meats and veggies with a bit of brown rice, plus the obligatory reminders that she's a well-loved dog. Was just thinking that a little mild spice to her time might go a long way!

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Dumb question: a lot of stores that host cats up for adoption in our area have these wagon style kennels they house them in. Anyone know what the official name of these things are? We're looking to upgrade our store's Midwest one.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Isosceles Waffle posted:

I have an elderly pup (whippet/german shepherd mix of 14 years) who's likely on her last year or less of life. A year or two ago she began to go deaf and now she can't even hear anything unless it's extremely loud and high-pitched, and her eyes are somewhat milky though she can see well enough to discern hand gestures from a good few feet away (began doing that as she was going deaf -- wish I had known sooner, since she learned that poo poo ridiculously easily). The past year she's gotten fatty tumors right below her ribs and sebaceous gland blockages everywhere, and now she's slowly wasting thinner and thinner.

Now, she was never a really active dog (very whippetlike in that she'd go through spurts of extreme chillness sandwiched between short episodes of OHMYGODGOTTAFUCKINGRUN) but she sleeps and lies down with a sad mug a whole lot more than she used to from overall weakening of her muscles and the fact that she's quite clearly an old lady now. I just would like to hear any suggestions as to how I could help make her quiet world a little more (gently) lively for her for as long as she's with my family and I.

I've already begun being a good bit more lenient on not caving in to her begging for people food (mostly just stuff like little bits of cheese, a nibble of non-garlic'd/onion'd steak or popcorn) and have been occasionally cooking her a couple days' meals worth of lean meats and veggies with a bit of brown rice, plus the obligatory reminders that she's a well-loved dog. Was just thinking that a little mild spice to her time might go a long way!

Have you been to the vet for a wellness check lately? There may be things that can be prescribed to help with any stiffness etc, like supplements or anti-inflammatories.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

So I was at the local county fair yesterday and they had ducks with what looked like afros on their heads, what kind are they? Also, do they lay eggs as continously as chickens? I saw a few digging up eggs in their hay/bedding.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Earlier tonight Max rolled over for a belly rub and had a rock hard golf ball sized lump between his penis and where his balls used to be. By the time I got the e-vet on the phone it was gone and hasn't come back. He's eating normally, peed earlier, and is acting normal.

WTF was that? I'm keeping an eye on it but so far it hasn't come back. If it does come back I'm taking him to a vet, but in the meantime I'm trying to figure out what just happened.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Tenchrono posted:

So I was at the local county fair yesterday and they had ducks with what looked like afros on their heads, what kind are they? Also, do they lay eggs as continously as chickens? I saw a few digging up eggs in their hay/bedding.

Crested duck?

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Earlier tonight Max rolled over for a belly rub and had a rock hard golf ball sized lump between his penis and where his balls used to be. By the time I got the e-vet on the phone it was gone and hasn't come back. He's eating normally, peed earlier, and is acting normal.

WTF was that? I'm keeping an eye on it but so far it hasn't come back. If it does come back I'm taking him to a vet, but in the meantime I'm trying to figure out what just happened.
Male dogs have a ball of erectile tissue at the base of the penis called the bulbus glandis. This is what is responsible for the "tie" when dogs mate. You can google image search and see if that's what it is, but be prepared for lots of dog erection pictures.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Max should be ashamed.:catstare:

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I did not know that. I was only aware of the "red rocket" style of dog erection.

Good thing I didn't take him to the vet and pay $100 to be told my dog had a boner haha.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Yup, thats them! Thanks.

Amberlyn
Jan 5, 2010

Crooked Booty posted:

Male dogs have a ball of erectile tissue at the base of the penis called the bulbus glandis. This is what is responsible for the "tie" when dogs mate. You can google image search and see if that's what it is, but be prepared for lots of dog erection pictures.

Dear God! :supaburn:

Sometimes my dog humps inanimate objects so I know what a dog penis looks like, but I don't ever recall seeing what you described at the base of his penis, so I got curious.

Now I'm really, really sorry I looked. You did warn us, so this one's on me. :cry:

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

Tenchrono posted:

If you like fluffy-headed birds but want a decent layer, you could go with the Polish chicken. I used to have a few and they are really silly and also pretty decent layers.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

My landlord just found out about my 4 year old black German Shepard and wants him "GONE!" by the end of the week. I have a place to temporarily house him but no leads on how to re-home him. I'm loving devastated and I don't know what to do. I would really rather not use craigslist or take him to the county shelter, and all of the sheperd rescues locally (Southern California) seem to be full. I'm crying typing this and I'm so loving mad and I just need help, please.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Politicalrancor posted:

My landlord just found out about my 4 year old black German Shepard and wants him "GONE!" by the end of the week. I have a place to temporarily house him but no leads on how to re-home him. I'm loving devastated and I don't know what to do. I would really rather not use craigslist or take him to the county shelter, and all of the sheperd rescues locally (Southern California) seem to be full. I'm crying typing this and I'm so loving mad and I just need help, please.

Did you get a dog when your rental contract says they aren't allowed? Could you offer to pay a pet deposit + pet rent? Could the place you're temporarily housing him hold him long enough for you to find somewhere else to stay? Where are you located more specifically? There might be other rescues who could take him. All questions aside – I'm sorry you're going through this.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Politicalrancor posted:

Is it because of a breed ban or a general "no dogs" policy?

If it's a breed ban and he's all black you could try claiming he's some mutt that isn't a German Shepherd ("he's a lab mix, honest!"). If it's a no dogs at all policy then you're kinda stuck. It's really hard to hide a dog that big. Is it an apartment complex where the management is on-site or a private rental? If it's a private rental the landlord is legally obligated to give you 24 hours notice before they stop by, so you in theory would have time to stash him elsewhere and clean up his stuff before the landlord showed up. If it's a place with on-site management you'll have to find somewhere else for him to live till your lease is up, unfortunately.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Politicalrancor posted:

Would you be willing to email or post pics? We might be able to look out here to place him (Ohio. If you would consider shipping, we would be happy to help).

FengShuiNinja
Aug 18, 2012

Maybe not technically 'pets', but I thought I would ask here.

When I was a kid I would raise butterflies and moths from eggs or caterpillars. I'd really like to get into this again. I would gather the eggs and caterpillars in my backyard and if I was really lucky I could get the adults to breed.

Question: Where could I buy eggs/caterpillars to raise? I live in an urban area now and can't gather my own eggs/caterpillars anymore. Are there any good reputable places on the internet or catalogs I should leaf through? My favorites to raise were Oregon Swallowtail butterflies and Cecropia moths.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm interested in volunteering at a nearby animal shelter, is there a list of good ones by area? What do I need to keep in mind?

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I have a 5 or so year old pit bull mix.

Sunday, August 12th, he ate 2 Ant Traps. Based on my searches of the internet and calling the ant trap company, they said that the traps themselves aren't poisonous to a 70+ lb dog but the plastic is what you need to watch out for, but to keep an eye on him and see what happens.

That day he was fine, and I believe for the first time on Tuesday, he threw up a little bit of bile with some twisted plastic chunks in it, then again on Wednesday or so. I think, if I recall correctly, he was okay then until Sunday or Monday of this week, when he threw up bile again, but with nothing in it. Monday morning, and yesterday morning, again he threw up bile, then yesterday mid day and afternoon a bit of food.

Now apparently my mom said that today he threw up a huge amount of food that looked undigested in his stomach. I now feel rather concerned about this and as though I should take him to the vet.

The thing is, throughout all of this, his bowel movements have been normal and regular so I didn't think it was any kind of blockage, not to mention I don't think it's the ant poison as it's been more than a week.

I'm just curious if anyone has any ideas or thoughts on this before I go and have to pay a ton of money at the vet I guess.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

hallo spacedog posted:

I have a 5 or so year old pit bull mix.

Sunday, August 12th, he ate 2 Ant Traps. Based on my searches of the internet and calling the ant trap company, they said that the traps themselves aren't poisonous to a 70+ lb dog but the plastic is what you need to watch out for, but to keep an eye on him and see what happens.

That day he was fine, and I believe for the first time on Tuesday, he threw up a little bit of bile with some twisted plastic chunks in it, then again on Wednesday or so. I think, if I recall correctly, he was okay then until Sunday or Monday of this week, when he threw up bile again, but with nothing in it. Monday morning, and yesterday morning, again he threw up bile, then yesterday mid day and afternoon a bit of food.

Now apparently my mom said that today he threw up a huge amount of food that looked undigested in his stomach. I now feel rather concerned about this and as though I should take him to the vet.

The thing is, throughout all of this, his bowel movements have been normal and regular so I didn't think it was any kind of blockage, not to mention I don't think it's the ant poison as it's been more than a week.

I'm just curious if anyone has any ideas or thoughts on this before I go and have to pay a ton of money at the vet I guess.

Yeah, sounds like he needs to go to the vet. He probably didn't hork up all the plastic and now has some stuck in him. At the very least, they'll do an x-ray to check if he hasn't passed/barfed up everything, and if it shows nothing then at least you'll have peace of mind and it won't be too expensive for just a visit and x-rays. Now if he does still have some stuck in him, that will be expensive.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Any tips for trimming toenails on dogs with ticklish feet? Max doesn't mind having his feet handled, but they're ticklish so he gets twitchy when I handle his toes which is a problem especially since all of his toenails are black.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

FengShuiNinja posted:

Maybe not technically 'pets', but I thought I would ask here.

When I was a kid I would raise butterflies and moths from eggs or caterpillars. I'd really like to get into this again. I would gather the eggs and caterpillars in my backyard and if I was really lucky I could get the adults to breed.

Question: Where could I buy eggs/caterpillars to raise? I live in an urban area now and can't gather my own eggs/caterpillars anymore. Are there any good reputable places on the internet or catalogs I should leaf through? My favorites to raise were Oregon Swallowtail butterflies and Cecropia moths.

You might ask the critterquest thread in GBS, I seem to recall some of the regulars there have raised moths.

Mean Bean
Jan 19, 2012

My blood type is Folgers.
Just picked up some Heartgard plus at the vet, was wondering if anyone has any experience with splitting the medication between two small dogs? They are chewables for dogs up to 25 lbs. The insert says minimum dose should be 2.72 mcg Ivermectin per lb and 2.27mg pyrantel per lb, and each chewable has 68 mcg ivermectin and 57 mg pyrantel, and the dogs are each 7 lbs. Going by the minimum, each dog should have at least 19.04 mcg of ivermectin and 15.89 mg of pyrantel which there should be more than enough to cover. If no one has tried it I won't chance it, just wondering.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
WebMD has an article about how pill-splitting lacks precision and so is not recommended in most cases. At the same time, veterinarians tend to recommend pill splitting all the time because we often need smaller sizes that just aren't available.

The risk you take with doing that is that the medication may not be evenly distributed throughout the chew, so that each half may not have half the drug, or that you may not cut it exactly. As for safety, a lower dose won't hurt your dog, at least not today, but if the dose was somehow low enough not to be effective then you are risking heartworm, a treatable but potentially very dangerous and very preventable disease. You can ask your vet--they may be able to contact the company and ask them, but I doubt either your vet or the company will condone the chew-splitting for both profit and liability reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
A question about taking in a non-vaccinated cat.

We're adopting a kitten (3-4 months old) that was rescued from a hoarder's house. We're picking the cat up Saturday, and we just found out that she hasn't received any vaccinations. We're taking her to the vet the following Monday for the vaccinations + examination, so the cat will be in our house for 2 days before a vet visit.

What precautions should I be taking, aside from not allowing any contact between the resident cat and the new cat? The new kitten will have her own small room. Should I even be preventing them from sniffing each other under the door to prevent the passing of contagious diseases?