Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Yeah, I have the same thing with Schwab. For whatever reason it was easier for me to withdraw abroad for long periods of time from my brokerage vs. my checking. Just get it and ask a service rep which works best for long trips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

I used Schwab too for my trip and it was pretty easy to deal with. Just be sure to not forget your online log in info because they will not help you get back in via calls :v:

And an itinerary is fine, I was flying one way into Tokyo and taking a different carrier out and the airline made me show my return flight itinerary. Some booking sites like United and Expedia allow you to get a full refund within 24 hours (when doing it on Expedia, don't try to pull this with AirAsia) so you have a legitimate-looking booking to show them. I've never had anybody try to verify if the flights were legit or not.

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
Ill be in Bangkok thu-sun. Flight home leaves sunday morning. I have time for another goonmeet if RingoR or Reindeer are around?

Nothing huge planned, just need to shop some gifts for my mom and brothers.

ps i have a lot of thai baht to burn before flight so first whiskey bottle is on me.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Bus went off the rails in my neck of the woods, at least 32 dead. "Fun" fact: this happens nearly once every month in Thailand, on average.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Another night bus crash:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/at-least-27-dead-in/1047194.html

Take a knee.

EDIT: Oops, didn't reload first. Beaten by our Norther Thailand Hill Tribe Chieftain. Avoid night buses if possible.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer

MothraAttack posted:

"Fun" fact: this happens nearly once every month in Thailand, on average.

:stare: Definitely going to be much more nervous the next time I inevitably take a BKK-CM night bus!

edit: I really shouldn't be at all surprised by this. Sabai Sabai...

moflika fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 25, 2014

kenner116
May 15, 2009
I drove past this accident in northern Luzon on the morning of the crash. These buses don't even have seat belts so I don't recommend taking night buses through mountainous areas.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Why doesn't Thailand have more trains yet...

Also, why hasn't the Chinese or Japanese rebuilt the Cambodian railway from Poipet to HCMC.

:argh:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Also, why hasn't the Chinese or Japanese rebuilt the Cambodian railway from Poipet to HCMC.

Much of Thailand's major rails and roads were initially built with development funds post WWII from the US. Other neighboring countries elected to do other things (embezzlement mostly), and Japan stuck its money into factories.

In other words if you want more trains just send Thailand a big check and maybe they'll build some. Or maybe they'll embezzle it.

MothraAttack posted:

Bus went off the rails in my neck of the woods, at least 32 dead. "Fun" fact: this happens nearly once every month in Thailand, on average.

Just to make sure, Bangkok had its weekly "student fell out of open doors of bus while it was rounding a corner" incident, right?

raton fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 26, 2014

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Don't worry guys, according to Thai media reports the bus driver already knew the brakes were going loose before they started their trip.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Rail goes a shitload of places here really, it's just slow and old. The new rail system's being built now with Bang Sue as the intermodal transport hub for Bangkok (rock on Bang Sue!) and Saraburi as the new depot. There's supposed to be a high speed line starting from Bangkok to Saraburi or something, but Yingluck's facing potential indictment over the rice debacle and the court just declared the rail funding legislation unconstitutional or something, so who knows. Admittedly, it is a massive pile of graft that, together with the idiotic rice scheme, could do serious damage to Thailands griftopic economy.

Cheesemaster200 posted:

An Australian consortium was just about to start on this a couple of years ago - maybe even had the train running, I forget - when something went to poo poo with the government and it got called off.

MothraAttack posted:

Don't worry guys, according to Thai media reports the bus driver already knew the brakes were going loose before they started their trip.
Bonus points if he fled the scene. That's my favorite part of most Thai automotive accident stories. Though if you read how that poo poo works here it kinda makes sense, heh. The justice system when someone dies in an accident is pretty much "pay a shitload of money agreed on the spot or go to jail" unless you're super-rich and can flee to Singapore and pay later. Somchai from Buriram doesn't have a lot of options and the bus company isn't going to back him up.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

We had a bus go off the road in Singapore yesterday. One woman was lightly injured and was treated at an outpatient clinic; the other passengers had no injuries. It was on the evening news.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Chuwit, Thailand's most colorful politician (and former, possibly current super-pimp), interviewed by our pseudo-media:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIpaUo1p_Lw

Yeah I know the guy is technically awful and a human trafficker surely, if not proven (honestly, no idea, but it's impossible that he isn't). Still he's hilarious as a politician.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Hard to believe he isn't still in the business after that interview.

Also, the interviewer seems quite goony to me..

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Hahah, what. Make sure you don't drop your cigarettes on Sukhumvit, goons.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

MothraAttack posted:

Hahah, what. Make sure you don't drop your cigarettes on Sukhumvit, goons.

The littering fine thing has been going on for at least a decade now. Jatujak used to be Ground Zero for it.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

Don't call me a pimp. Call me a super pimp. Hahahaha, glorious.

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
In Finland again, back to work :argh:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I mentioned this before but I got a picture this time so you can show your gik and blow her mind!!!!!!

(On my phone, I apologize if the image is huge.)

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007
Last night at home!

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Next stop Pattaya?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Use proper tags you dirty Farang

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Threadshitting, no longer just for Mainland Chinese!

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
This really feels like the China thread, I thought I was lost.

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

So I've gone and ended up in Malaysia for the foreseeable future, but been lucky enough to have all my travel and accommodation arranged by the production company I'm working for so the move so far has been relatively hassle free. Hello, Johor Bahru. Hopefully I jump across the Causeway at some point when we're not snowed under with work and get a chance to enjoy Singapore, I've heard good things.

Question to those more wise in the ways of this part of the world than I- what is with the little hoses next to all the toilets? At first I thought they were a more diy version of bidets, but arriving at the studio and apartments we've been given (which are all rather modern, as in the paint is still drying) they're still there, so either a) they aren't what I thought they were or b) it was too expensive/too much of a hassle to put actual bidets in.

It seems like every time I need to use the restroom in public places like cinemas or malls every single stall looks like someone just took a shower in it. Do people use these hoses to wash themselves? The toilet? The stall? Their clothes?

Also, for Centripetal, I also brought a T-mobile cell over, and popping a Malaysian SIM card into it worked just fine, so as long as it's unlocked everything should work just fine unless Thailand uses a radically different cell network.

Anyway, back to adjusting to the humidity!

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

FelixReynolds posted:

Question to those more wise in the ways of this part of the world than I- what is with the little hoses next to all the toilets? At first I thought they were a more diy version of bidets, but arriving at the studio and apartments we've been given (which are all rather modern, as in the paint is still drying) they're still there, so either a) they aren't what I thought they were or b) it was too expensive/too much of a hassle to put actual bidets in.
They're not bidets but serve the same purpose:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_faucet

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

FelixReynolds posted:

Question to those more wise in the ways of this part of the world than I- what is with the little hoses next to all the toilets?

Sounds like your bathroom is missing the standard SE Asia mini-bar. You know how bars have those soda guns? Yeah...

Alternatively, mosquito target practice.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

If I ever go back home I'm going to miss those hoses.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
They're bidets and the reason you don't see "real" bidets is because they're better.

As to why the whole bathroom is wet, try listening to some Thai people complain about why the "little shower room" has to be so little stateside.

raton fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Apr 1, 2014

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
It's always cute to see somebody encounter the Bum Gun for the first time.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found
I never bought toilet paper when I lived in Thailand. Well, maybe once or twice just so I had something to clean the basin with after I shaved.

Back here in Australia, I work from home. I haven't bought toilet paper for home in months, although guests like it.

I don't have a bum gun here, either :ohdear:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Finch! basically just walks around making GBS threads himself if this wasn't clear.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The Malay tradition of butt-wiping is to use your left hands, not toilet paper (I can't recall why). Hence the bum gun.

This is intrinsically tied to why it's rude to give/accept anything to/from a Malay person using only your left hand, because it's your poo poo-smeared claw.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
That's the Indian tradition as well. It's also the reason I get pretty mad when bum guns are attached to the left instead of right.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Not using paper is loving weird bum gun or not. You're still wet down there.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Wear a sarong, problem solved.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Sarongs aren't buttwaterproof sheesh. I can't believe I have to say this but seriously the only valid reason not to use paper after is if there's none.

Next you guys will tell me you squat on toilet seats for authenticity of the Asian experience.

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
The last hotel i was in Bangkok had these japanese made toilets. It washes and dryes your butt. You can even move the nozzle and control water pressure. Where can i buy one of these in Finland??

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Sarongs aren't buttwaterproof sheesh. I can't believe I have to say this but seriously the only valid reason not to use paper after is if there's none.

Next you guys will tell me you squat on toilet seats for authenticity of the Asian experience.

Uhrm I'm sorry don't you know the seats are there for you to squat on? You shouldn't be sitting on it like some orang puteh philistine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Not using paper is loving weird bum gun or not. You're still wet down there.

You use your bath towel dingus.