Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trash Can Man
May 31, 2005

I work until beer o'clock.
So no $ at NYU or CLS and $$ at U of C is a slam dunk for Chicago?

Retake for HYS?

Go to Cooley? (you can just quote me as a helpful response)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Alaemon posted:

(It's a quote from Arrested Development)

Sorry I saw your av and thought "grumblefish"

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
I'm subtly trying to nudge my friend away from going to law school by taking him to see The Lincoln Lawyer

Wikipedia posted:

Moderately successful criminal defense attorney Mickey Haller (Matthew McConaughey) operates around Los Angeles County out of a Lincoln Town Car driven by a former client working off his legal fees"

This is slightly a dick move in itself, so I wanna make sure it's not also a lovely movie to boot. Anyone see it?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Rotten Tomatoes gives it a solid score, to my surprise.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Trash Can Man posted:

So no $ at NYU or CLS and $$ at U of C is a slam dunk for Chicago?

Retake for HYS?

Go to Cooley? (you can just quote me as a helpful response)

does two dollar signs signify some special poo poo or did your finger just stutter

goddammit man this isn't tls give us the drat number or at least the size of the scholarship as a percentage of tuition

(probably chicago is your best bet yeah)

Trash Can Man
May 31, 2005

Feces Starship posted:

does two dollar signs signify some special poo poo or did your finger just stutter

goddammit man this isn't tls give us the drat number or at least the size of the scholarship as a percentage of tuition

(probably chicago is your best bet yeah)

Approximations make me SO ANGRY!

Around half tuition.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
It's not the issue that it's an approximation, the issue is that the number of dollar signs do not signify anything.

If you had put two dollar signs but meant a $5K scholarship over all three years, that's basically a drop in the bucket and doesn't matter.

Anyway though that's enough complaining about that. I personally feel with a half-tuition scholarship at Chicago that you're probably not making an overtly bad choice and I wouldn't even think of NYU or even Columbia at this point.

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

Feces Starship posted:

It's not the issue that it's an approximation, the issue is that the number of dollar signs do not signify anything.

If you had put two dollar signs but meant a $5K scholarship over all three years, that's basically a drop in the bucket and doesn't matter.

Anyway though that's enough complaining about that. I personally feel with a half-tuition scholarship at Chicago that you're probably not making an overtly bad choice and I wouldn't even think of NYU or even Columbia at this point.

There's no way two dollar signs would mean 5k. But yeah Chicago is a slam dunk choice. Slam dunk!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Holland Oats posted:

If I have zero interest in working for a firm and all I want to do is work for the government after graduation, should I bother doing EIP? I know I'd be miserable at a firm but all the talk about getting good training from a firm and moving on to something else after a few years is making my resolve waver. I'm going to have about $60k in Stafford loans after I graduate and I really don't have any need to make a lot or even a decent amount of money. My grades for the first semester of 1L were at about the 50th percentile at Columbia.

I would.

Biglaw hires first. You can get the biglaw offer, then try to get a government offer. You can't do the reverse: if you pass up biglaw, you don't have it as a fallback option. A biglaw job is also usually a good path to government/in-house work: much of the hiring the federal government does isn't entry-level - and that means a lot of the summer programs aren't a good route to get hired. It also means that your third year you can potentially have a job offer in your pocket as you look for that government job, which makes things significantly less stressful.

Average grades at Columbia give you a good shot at biglaw jobs but I suspect means you're not a lock for the government posts that are hiring: it'll be a significant risk to pass up any chance at getting a job.

Lastly, with the current "cut spending" craze I wouldn't consider it a good time to be looking to get hired by the federal government, freezing entry-level hiring is a pretty easy way for an agency to deal with budget cuts.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

GregNorc posted:

This is slightly a dick move in itself, so I wanna make sure it's not also a lovely movie to boot. Anyone see it?

It's not lovely, but it's sure not great. The courtroom stuff is pretty ineptly written, no great surprise there.

atlas of bugs
Aug 19, 2003

BOOTSTRAPPING
MILLIONAIRE
ONE-PERCENTER

MoFauxHawk posted:

There's no way two dollar signs would mean 5k. But yeah Chicago is a slam dunk choice. Slam dunk!

you're pretty good at arguing, you should be a lawyer

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Alaemon posted:

It's not lovely, but it's sure not great. The courtroom stuff is pretty ineptly written, no great surprise there.

But it's possible to suspend disbelief? That's all I'm asking.

(Being an infosec guy made Die Hard 4 unbearable for example, I really wante to love it but just couldn't get past all the technical errors)

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

atlas of bugs posted:

you're pretty good at arguing, you should be a lawyer

Sounds good, thank you. I hear they make $$

Trash Can Man
May 31, 2005

MoFauxHawk posted:

Sounds good, thank you. I hear they make $$

Slam dunk!

Four Seat
Aug 5, 2010
I also need help choosing a law school. Yes, I know going to law school is a horrible decision, but it's one I've already made. My choices are:

AU Washington College of Law (Cost of Attendance $67,700 a year - no scholarship
Hofstra Law School (CoA $65,700 - $40k a year scholarship as long as I stay in the top 40%)
New England Law School (CoA $60,864 - $40k a year scholarship as long as I stay in the top 30%)
Albany Law School (CoA $60,320 - $30k a year scholarship as long as I stay in the top 50%)

I also applied to Seton Hall, but haven't heard back. After finding out they had been investigated by the FBI for falsifying numbers, I'm not too keen on them.

My UGPA was 3.47 and my LSAT was 162. I want to go into international law or business law. AU is usually ranked in the top five for international law programs, but not getting any scholarships makes them very expensive. Working for a multinational entity is my end goal, but I think I would also be happy working for a law firm. The government and non-profits don't hold too much appeal. I chose schools on the East Coast because I'm interested in Eastern Europe and Russia and most of the West Coast schools (like UW) specialize on the Pacific Rim.

I've been told that it's common for students to change what area of law they want to concentrate on, but given that I was an international business major for my undergrad, I am pretty sure I want to stay international. Is AU worth the quarter of a million in debt? If not, is Hofstra's better ranking worth giving up New England's better international options?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

All of those are worthless schools that should be closed. That's not a joke. If you insist on going, AU Washington is clearly the right choice as your goal is to be self-destructive and that's the most self-destructive option.

Also all of those schools falsify numbers their employment numbers are fiction.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Four Seat posted:

I also need help choosing a law school. Yes, I know going to law school is a horrible decision, but it's one I've already made. My choices are:

AU Washington College of Law (Cost of Attendance $67,700 a year - no scholarship
Hofstra Law School (CoA $65,700 - $40k a year scholarship as long as I stay in the top 40%)
New England Law School (CoA $60,864 - $40k a year scholarship as long as I stay in the top 30%)
Albany Law School (CoA $60,320 - $30k a year scholarship as long as I stay in the top 50%)

I also applied to Seton Hall, but haven't heard back. After finding out they had been investigated by the FBI for falsifying numbers, I'm not too keen on them.

My UGPA was 3.47 and my LSAT was 162. I want to go into international law or business law. AU is usually ranked in the top five for international law programs, but not getting any scholarships makes them very expensive. Working for a multinational entity is my end goal, but I think I would also be happy working for a law firm. The government and non-profits don't hold too much appeal. I chose schools on the East Coast because I'm interested in Eastern Europe and Russia and most of the West Coast schools (like UW) specialize on the Pacific Rim.

I've been told that it's common for students to change what area of law they want to concentrate on, but given that I was an international business major for my undergrad, I am pretty sure I want to stay international. Is AU worth the quarter of a million in debt? If not, is Hofstra's better ranking worth giving up New England's better international options?

What was your undergrad in?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Four Seat posted:

Hofstra Law School (CoA $65,700 - $40k a year scholarship as long as I stay in the top 40%) Useless.

New England Law School (CoA $60,864 - $40k a year scholarship as long as I stay in the top 30%)Useless.

Albany Law School (CoA $60,320 - $30k a year scholarship as long as I stay in the top 50%) Useless, but you have the highest chance of keeping the scholarship.

AU Washington College of Law (Cost of Attendance $67,700 a year - no scholarship COST OF ATTENDANCE: OVER $200,000

I have weighed in on your choices as well.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

I worked with paralegals over the summer that went to New England Law. Don't go to New England Law. It is a waste of time and money.

Honestly I would say the same thing for the others. Just don't do it. I know you don't have any better options at this point, but go find an hourly job at Starbucks or something until you can get a job with your business degree. Or if you are so dead-set on law school take this route and take the LSAT again and reapply if you get a 170 or above.

Four Seat
Aug 5, 2010
My undergrad was international business with an economics minor. I've thought about retaking the LSAT because I didn't study much this first time and could probably boost my score fairly easily.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon
DO NOT GO

retake LSAT. study over and over and over and over and over

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Four Seat posted:

My undergrad was international business with an economics minor. I've thought about retaking the LSAT because I didn't study much this first time and could probably boost my score fairly easily.
wow haven't busted this out in forever

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Four Seat posted:

I am pretty sure I want to stay international

Retake the LSAT until you get a ~175 and you'll do fine.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Adar posted:

Retake the LSAT until you get a ~175 and you'll do fine.

ps this is actually possible

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Four Seat posted:

Here is the wisdom I wish someone had imparted to me about law school.

In every school, there are people with roughly similar numbers. Some of those people are undoubtedly smarter than the others. Those are the people who didn't work that hard. If they had worked their balls off, they would be at a better school.

There are people who will be in the goddamned library every day until 10 at night studying. They will memorize every case. They will know all the facts. They will know so much excess garbage and then just regurgitate it onto the test and it will usually win them a hell of a lot of points.

You cannot just coast through with these people competing against you.

I might even go so far as to say that they will make better lawyers, because they are that loving thorough. ESPECIALLY for corporate law, where they will study every loving misplaced comma or period like their life depends on it.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 10, 2011

Four Seat
Aug 5, 2010

CaptainScraps posted:

I might even go so far as to say that they will make better lawyers, because they are that loving thorough. ESPECIALLY for corporate law, where they will study every loving misplaced comma or period like their life depends on it.

This is actually one of the things I was looking forward to. I would really enjoy contracts and all the nit-picky grammar and phrasing. However, you have a good point about those willing to works their asses off.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

Four Seat posted:

Is AU worth the quarter of a million in debt?

Are you retarded?

JohnnyTreachery
Dec 7, 2000
redact

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Four Seat posted:

This is actually one of the things I was looking forward to. I would really enjoy contracts and all the nit-picky grammar and phrasing.

You can start on your future as a contracts lawyer by figuring out a way to successfully get out of an obligation to pay back $250K in student loans when you are making $12 an hour at the "International" House of Pancakes.

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

Four Seat posted:

I took the LSAT last June, and Seton Hall contacted me within a week of my score being released, essentially telling me they would bypass their waitlist and offer me a sizable scholarship if I would take a seat in their upcoming class in 2010. This is how abysmal the students at Seton Hall must be, and how terribly run it is, if they're begging people a month before classes start to come and enroll without even applying formally. You're not going to enjoy one of those comparable institutions, I promise.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

GregNorc posted:

I'm subtly trying to nudge my friend away from going to law school by taking him to see The Lincoln Lawyer

I'm a criminal attorney and I liked the movie.
It is not exactly accurate about anything and still glorifies defense work more than it should. (The court room scenes were mostly decent though).
This plan may backfire and cause him to want to go is what I'm saying.

---
Four Seat:
Write a 5 page essay on why you want to go to law school. Post it here.
We will tell you if you should:
1. Retake the LSAT and pray for a 170+
2. Do something else

(If you don't want to do the essay, the answer is 2 by the way. If you do want to write the essay, the answer is likely 2 as well)

nm fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 10, 2011

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

GregNorc posted:

But it's possible to suspend disbelief? That's all I'm asking.

I'm a really bad litmus test, because my undergrad is in theater with an emphasis on direction. So not only do I sit there and want to object at the screen, I sit there and try to decide if the set dresser was a moron and put federal reporters on the bench of a state court trial judge.

I don't suspend easily because I'm counting how many times the editor has gone back to the same establishing shot.

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

CaptainScraps posted:

gold

I just want to add that even if you end up lucky and get into a school beyond your credentials (like me), the effect will be roughly analogous to signing up for an underground rugby league populated entirely by grizzly bears

Anyway, here's some dumb comics.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war

evilweasel posted:

I would.

Biglaw hires first. You can get the biglaw offer, then try to get a government offer. You can't do the reverse: if you pass up biglaw, you don't have it as a fallback option. A biglaw job is also usually a good path to government/in-house work: much of the hiring the federal government does isn't entry-level - and that means a lot of the summer programs aren't a good route to get hired. It also means that your third year you can potentially have a job offer in your pocket as you look for that government job, which makes things significantly less stressful.

Average grades at Columbia give you a good shot at biglaw jobs but I suspect means you're not a lock for the government posts that are hiring: it'll be a significant risk to pass up any chance at getting a job.

Lastly, with the current "cut spending" craze I wouldn't consider it a good time to be looking to get hired by the federal government, freezing entry-level hiring is a pretty easy way for an agency to deal with budget cuts.

Thanks everyone, you've all convinced me to do EIP.

Also, is there a shared drive with outlines at UVA or Texas? I have two professors who taught there and we don't have any materials at all for them here.

Holland Oats fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 11, 2011

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Four Seat posted:

I chose schools on the East Coast because I'm interested in Eastern Europe and Russia and most of the West Coast schools (like UW) specialize on the Pacific Rim.

No one else remarked on this, so I will. This line of thinking is entirely wrong. The only schools that will help you internationally are top tier schools, as in top 5. The schools you've listed will only close doors.

My understanding is that there aren't really "entry level" international law jobs - you need BigLaw credentials and a few years of experience.

It doesn't matter whether you look at crappy east coast or crappy west coast law schools - none are you going to get you into international law. Crappy law schools play up their "specializations" but thats just marketing bullshit - employers with jobs in international law do not look at those schools, at all.

A few caveats:
If you are fluent in another language, or have actual ties to another country, that may open a door for you, but you'll still be competing against some graduates from better schools who have the same language/cultural credentials.

Also, there's no such things "international law" because that's like going to med school and saying you want to practice "medicine." It's too broad and it's a clear indication that you don't know what you're talking about.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
animes?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Starting a fulltime, paid job tommorow.
First since I graduated in 2009 from a T20 law school.
Don't go to law school.
Don't go into criminal defense.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

nm posted:

Starting a fulltime, paid job tommorow.
First since I graduated in 2009 from a T20 law school.
Don't go to law school.
Don't go into criminal defense.

Congrats!

(Crim defence owns even though I'm still unemployed while looking for a job in it)

topheryan
Jul 29, 2004

Red Bean Juice posted:

I just want to add that even if you end up lucky and get into a school beyond your credentials (like me), the effect will be roughly analogous to signing up for an underground rugby league populated entirely by grizzly bears

you go to HLS, right? I feel like I'm in a comparable situation with regard to getting in to HLS beyond my credentials. I'm guessing my worries are well founded? any elaboration would be helpful. I don't want to be eaten alive by grizzly bears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

MEET ME BY DUCKS posted:

you go to HLS, right? I feel like I'm in a comparable situation with regard to getting in to HLS beyond my credentials. I'm guessing my worries are well founded? any elaboration would be helpful. I don't want to be eaten alive by grizzly bears

You're fine, at HLS you don't need to be king grizzly.