Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Snowy posted:

So I pulled off the Sunn hat trick this tour. First flew down for the cave, then saw them at Brooklyn Steel. Then I noticed on the tour shirt that for the last show of the first leg they were coming back to nyc for a show at Saint Vitus with is about a tenth the size of Brooklyn steel. Also it was marked as a Grimmrobe/Shoshin show, where it’s the two of them doing old stuff and whatever else they want I guess.

I was just like whelp that would have been amazing but there’s no way there’s tickets for that left.

Then the next morning a friend texts that tickets go on sale in a couple minutes, do I want one? gently caress yeah I do and he was quick on the draw which was lucky because they sold out in a minute or so.

So a couple days later I’m squeezing into my favorite spot at Vitus, all the way front and to the side. There was no opener, just a wall of amps that wrapped around the stage, the only way they’d fit.

Also a few fender twin reverbs practically hanging off the sides for good measure, one of which became my armrest.

Unsung hero, the smoke machine maintenance man

Tuning up a smidge

Aww poo poo here we go...

I was over by Greg and luckily the only smoke machine was on the other side so while it was still a cloud half the time, I got to really watch how much they’re playing to each other and coordinating with the hands in the air and whatnot.

The volume was on another level from those other shows. I used foam instead of my etymotics but could tell that wasn’t even enough. I think the sound just going through my skull was hurting my eardrums. My vision went weird a few times when they hit massive blasts.

If anyone knows how to embed this let me know, or just click for a gif that gives an idea of volume: https://imgur.com/a/NWm0RZd

Greg was chugging some wine of course, and passed the bottle forward so I got a few good chugs before passing it along.

Wine gif: https://imgur.com/a/xoVzAxd

After an hour and a half of insane pummeling different from that I’d seen at the other shows the guys get a massive roar going as a finale, just an amazing crumbling avalanche of sound. Greg walks up with his guitar raised over his head, then he somehow hooks the headstock into the PA speaker overhead and lets it hang there resonating before leaving the stage.

(I have a few more fun gifs here but gently caress I wanted to embed so oh well)

My ears are still a little hosed which sucks because I already have tinnitus from 30 something years of shows so that didn’t help. It loving ruled though so there’s that. And what a great way to end a three show run with something completely different.

tldr: it’s loud

That’s loving awesome, thanks for sharing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
Hey these guys recently released their back catalogue on Spotify, which has been great...some Stoner rock from the late 90's/early 00's, sometimes a bit generic but I love this poo poo....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbVlSTsXX9w

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I'm sure there's little chance of it but I hope that St. Vitus show comes up on Max Volume Silence on YT

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

Seeing Earthless next week, I hear they are unstoppable live.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
Ufomammut was awesome last night. i was a little concerned because it was the final stop of the tour and the venue- which isn't that big in the first place- was not even half-filled, but that didn't seem to have any affect on their energy. no preamble, no between-song banter, great sound, and songs so epic that the only way you knew they were over was when the drummer stood up. dunno why they'd never clicked with me before, because that poo poo ruled.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Mr. Pickles posted:

Seeing Earthless next week, I hear they are unstoppable live.

They really are fantastic, it's absolutely unreal what they do. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtZ4EDytUZg

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

emdash posted:

I'm sure there's little chance of it but I hope that St. Vitus show comes up on Max Volume Silence on YT

I didn’t see the usual guys with video cameras which is a shame because as long as the sound is good it would still be fun to watch even if most of of looked like a screen saver with occasional hooded figures briefly emerging

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Last time I saw them they had a live liquid light show that I ended up watching as much as the band AND it introduced me to Kikagaku Moyo, so huge success

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Ingmar terdman posted:

AND it introduced me to Kikagaku Moyo, so huge success

Well whaddaya know, they’re on tour and playing nyc next month. Going to research this further, thanks.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Ingmar terdman posted:

Last time I saw them they had a live liquid light show that I ended up watching as much as the band AND it introduced me to Kikagaku Moyo, so huge success

Band is incredible

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
https://www.npr.org/2019/05/03/720061002/thou-tiny-desk-concert

Thou live at NPR's Tiny desk.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

this looks a lot different than the thou i saw 3 years ago

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

I was really hoping for Bryan to be his extremely intense self in that little space, especially because they've been playing a really heavy version of The Hammer at shows.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Compare and contrast:
https://youtu.be/fxr8xZXohaw

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

lmao :rock:

https://twitter.com/reverb/status/1127576207376171008

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

lol I just saw Bongripper last night and it was the loudest show I’ve seen in a minute. I can’t imagine having them practice in my home.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

This is adorable

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

This is the best thing I've seen all year

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Torche put out the first track from their new record. This is probably the release I'm most stoked about this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vsj1Hcy0k4

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1128339185881030658

:getin:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Album cover featuring all of this thread's favourite things:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
the tour dates in case you didn't click through:

code:
08/19 – San Diego, CA @ Casbah #
08/20 – Phoenix, AZ @ Valley Bar #
08/22 – San Antonio, TX @ Paper Tiger #
08/23 – Austin, TX @ Barracuda #
08/24 – Denton, TX @ Rubber Gloves #
08/25 – Houston, TX @ White Oak Music Hall #
08/28 – Mexico City, MX @ Galera
08/30 – Tampa, FL @ Orpheum #
08/31 – Gainesville, FL @ High Dive #
09/01 – Atlanta, GA @ Masquerade #
09/03 – Nashville, TN @ Exit/In #
09/04 – Asheville, NC @ The Orange Peel #
09/05 – Raleigh, NC @ Hopscotch Festival
09/07 – Washington, DC @ Black Cat #
09/08 – Jersey City, NJ @ White Eagle Hall #
09/10 – Brooklyn, NY @ Elsewhere #
09/11 – Boston, MA @ Paradise Rock Club #
09/12 – Portland, ME @ Port City Music Hall #
09/13 – Montreal, QC @ Theatre Plaza #
09/14 – Toronto, ON @ Lee’s Palace #
09/15 – Grand Rapids, MI @ Pyramid Scheme #
09/17 – Chicago, IL @ Lincoln Hall #
09/18 – St. Louis, MO @ Delmar Hall #
09/20 – Denver, CO @ Marquis Theater #
09/21 – Salt Lake City, UT @ Metro Music Hall #
09/23 – Seattle, WA @ Neumos #
09/24 – Portland, OR @ Doug Fir Lounge #
09/26 – San Francisco, CA @ Great American Music Hall #
09/27 – San Jose, CA @ The Ritz #
09/28 – Camarillo, CA @ Rock City #
09/29 – Los Angeles, CA @ Echoplex #
haven't been to the Black Cat in years so that'll be fun.

supporting band is Uniform

They are also reissuing Akuma No Uta and Feedbacker. Still no orange Heavy Rocks on vinyl. Every day without it is :negative:

emdash fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 14, 2019

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Wooo black cat is like the only place in town I haven't seen them now it feels like. Nothing will ever top the secret show at RnR Hotel but this might be close!

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

What's a good entry point into Boris?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

me your dad posted:

Pink is probably their most accessible. Or Noise.

Try this song from Pink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=855klBq2fnQ

Or this one from Noise:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr4i5jXlSjg

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 14, 2019

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

e: ^^^ :hfive:

me your dad posted:

This is tough and there are a lot of good options but I would say Pink.

Siivola posted:

Album cover featuring all of this thread's favourite things:

I hope they make shirts of that.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
holy poo poo Boris in Gainesville at my favorite venue, count me the gently caress in

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

me your dad posted:

The doors of the venue honestly. Definitely a band that will blow you away no matter how initiated you are, conditional on you being down with the genre but you're posting in SDS so you're cool. I'll say Pink, the older Heavy Rocks, and Flood tho

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Ugh Jersey City is the worst, I guess I'll still go though. Boris was incredible at Days of Darkness fest.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

me your dad posted:

Depends what kind of stuff you’re looking for really, they’re extremely varied in style from album to album. Heavy Rocks and Akuma no Uta are more in a hard rock/stoner metal vein, but they also have slower more psychedelic stuff like Feedbacker or Flood. If you like drone metal or noise you should also check out their collab with Merzbow, Sun Baked Snow Cave.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCFU1Dpfmnk

agree that you should go to a show even if you know almost nothing. that's how i got started w/them in 2006 having only heard like one CD

emdash fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 14, 2019

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Varg posted:

Days of Darkness fest.

RIP by the way. I had a feeling and dm'd MDF about it a few months ago.

So now MDF Beardo Thursday reclaims the crown. Church of Misery is gonna rip

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Torche live rules. Go see Torche

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

emdash posted:

agree that you should go to a show even if you know almost nothing.

Alright, I'll be the lame one: do check if you like their stuff first, and give it more than a cursory glance. I left the Boris show I went to after about 25 minutes.

I mean, I get what they're doing. I just don't like what they're doing.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I loved Boris when I saw them a few years back. Great live

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Boris left me with hearing issues for weeks after I saw them. They rule.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Ingmar terdman posted:

RIP by the way. I had a feeling and dm'd MDF about it a few months ago.

So now MDF Beardo Thursday reclaims the crown. Church of Misery is gonna rip

It's their own fault for making it on Halloween and booking a bunch of bands no one cared about the second year after the insane first year lineup

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Anyone have a recommendation for an album like that Bong Mountain one, but instead of maintaining one chord for its run, it's just sustained, sludgy feedback, without falling into drone territory?

Also, this upcoming EP is some good poo poo. Unfortunately, I'd peg the advance track as the weakest of the three.

GOURD - Moldering Aberrations
Dark-toned doom/sludge. Kind of reminiscent of Gnaw Their Tongues in parts.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Darthemed posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for an album like that Bong Mountain one, but instead of maintaining one chord for its run, it's just sustained, sludgy feedback, without falling into drone territory?

Also, this upcoming EP is some good poo poo. Unfortunately, I'd peg the advance track as the weakest of the three.

GOURD - Moldering Aberrations
Dark-toned doom/sludge. Kind of reminiscent of Gnaw Their Tongues in parts.

Have you heard The Angelic Process - Weighing Souls With Sand? It was the first thing that came to mine with your request for some reason. Even if it’s not exactly what you’re looking for it’s a fantastic album. Haunting and exhausting in the best of ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I think I may double dip on that Boris tour, Tampa for sure but maybe I'll drive to Gainesville for the hell of it.

Here's the dates for Torche's upcoming run:

May 31 – Chicago, IL @ Chicago Doomed & Stoned Festival
June 15 – Denver, CO @ Electric Funeral Fest IV
June 19 – Calgary, AB @ Sled Island Festival
July 26 – Tampa, FL @ The Crowbar
July 27 – Jacksonville, FL @ The Justice Pub
July 28 – Chapel Hill, NC @ Local 506
July 29 – Harrisonburg, VA @ Golden Pony
July 31 – Washington, D.C. @ Black Cat
August 1 – Philadelphia, PA @ Underground Arts
August 2 – Brooklyn, NY @ Brooklyn Bazaar
August 3 – Boston, MA @ Great Scott
August 4 – Pawtucket, RI @ The Met
August 5 – Hamden, CT @ Space Ballroom
August 6 – Lancaster, PA @ Chameleon Club
August 7 – Wilmington, NC @ Reggie’s 42nd Street Tavern
August 8 – Atlanta, GA @ The Masquerade
August 9 – Orlando, FL @ Henao Center
August 10 – Miami, FL @ Las Rosa’s
September 21 – Asheville, NC @ Heavy Mountain
November 1 – Gainesville, FL @ FEST
November 9 – Austin, TX @ Levitation

Orlando show is the one I'll most likely make but maybe Fest if the lineup is as good as it was last year, and maaaaaaaaaaaybe that Miami show if the local support is good. Like if that show winds up being Holly Hunt and Cave of Swimmers opening...