Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Phi230 posted:

any xmas themed wargames

Elves Under Hoof by the one and only DVG

print-and-play: $3.99
https://www.wargamevault.com/product/19903/Elves-Under-Hoof?src=also_purchased&it=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Any game covering Operation Saturn works

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
Something something Battle of Trenton Washington Crossing the Delaware.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Commissar Kip posted:

Merry Christmas you bunch of grognards.

Back atcha and to the entire thread too!
May your shrink wrap hold strong against another years dust : D

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Happy Holidays for those that are on the tankie end of the tankie/wehraboo spectrum

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Happy Saturnalia to all C&C ancients players

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Tekopo posted:

Happy Holidays for those that are on the tankie end of the tankie/wehraboo spectrum

Thanks

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tekopo posted:

Twilight Struggke, because communism hates Christian values and thus also christmas

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me. 

Matthew 19:21 

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

AceRimmer posted:

Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me. 

Matthew 19:21 

And the guy at NASA said unto him, "Off to space you go, you pinko bastard"

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Tekopo posted:

:tipshat:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Should have played a wargame on Christmas so I could claim to b a participant of the "war on Christmas"

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Tekopo posted:

Should have played a wargame on Christmas so I could claim to b a participant of the "war on Christmas"

It's not over yet....

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tekopo posted:

VASSAL is always a thing

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm playing through a small Bulge scenario in ASL and remembering how loving ugly the SS counters are, especially against snowy terrain.

Yech.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.
What's a good art mod to make the map look less hideous in War in the Pacific: AE? It's time for me to sink my life into that hole again.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

What's a good art mod to make the map look less hideous in War in the Pacific: AE? It's time for me to sink my life into that hole again.

Cardboard talk here.

Computer game talk here - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3543909

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Boxing day. No mail delivery. No Pendragon.

:negative:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I played Infamous Traffic on Xmas eve. You could say I partook of the opium war on Xmas.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Chill la Chill posted:

I played Infamous Traffic on Xmas eve. You could say I partook of the opium war on Xmas.

I was thinking of buying that on DriveThru as Print&Play. How well does it play?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
does Starfleet Battles count as a wargame? I binged on the new Star Trek tonight and remembered that that was a thing and decided that I want to learn it.

from my cursory research, it looks like I should start with this "Cadet Training Handbook" http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/151762/Star-Fleet-Battles-Cadet-Training-Handbook which is thankfully free, and it also looks like there is a VASSAL module for it as well http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Fleet_Battles_Cadet_Training_Manual

Anyone familiar with this game and want to talk shop about it?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

gradenko_2000 posted:

does Starfleet Battles count as a wargame? I binged on the new Star Trek tonight and remembered that that was a thing and decided that I want to learn it.

from my cursory research, it looks like I should start with this "Cadet Training Handbook" http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/151762/Star-Fleet-Battles-Cadet-Training-Handbook which is thankfully free, and it also looks like there is a VASSAL module for it as well http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Fleet_Battles_Cadet_Training_Manual

I tried the Cadet Handbook once, and couldn't wrap my mind around it.

Also I don't like space stuff so :shrug:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yo.

The CTM is a good way to learn the basics of the game and decide if it's something you want to pursue.

Just be warned that 1) it's a very 1970s SPI/AH style of game and rules, 2) it has a very, very groggy fanbase (and publisher), and 3) it diverges from the mainline Star Trek setting very early on (its license only applies to parts of the original series (and animated show, oddly) so there's no Ferenghi or Borg or Cardassians - instead, you have the Lyrans and WYN Cluster and Inter-Stellar Concordium. oh, and the ships all look like they did in the original show).

It really is Tom Clancy's Star Trek, complete with tons of late 20th century air/naval technology and doctrine in space. Using ECCM to break through Wild Weasel jammer shuttles, AEGIS sensor rigs, short-range dogfight drones, and on and on. The setting is tuned to support the wargame, so woo boy it's just constant war on all borders all the time, which is kind of the antithesis of Star Trek but hey.

There's a successor game - Federation Commander - which semi-successfully tries to remove some of the grog cruft and setting bloat and update the graphics from SFB's 1980s black-and-white Mac Classic running Pagemaker look that might be worth looking into.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Mr.Misfit posted:

I was thinking of buying that on DriveThru as Print&Play. How well does it play?

We like the tempo of the game. It's like an action point selection via investment points and there's quite a bit of take-that via conspiracies. I want to say it feels like a mix of Archipelago and Chicago Express but it definitely doesn't play like the former. It surprisingly plays like the latter where you just have a limited set of actions, there's temporary emergent alliances between players based on turn order, and you try to block when you can (so it's more like CE+Erie/narrow expansion). Game is more tactical since the board can change rather quickly. We only got to play it twice so far but it definitely is going to the active rotation for now. I meant to get Lisboa in there but then I got this just in time. :v: I honestly thought that because of the thicker ledgers and wanting to get the exact batch done all at once, blue panther was going to take a while to get these out.

BTW I forget if it was in this thread or in the board game thread but someone asked about the best way to make tuckboxes and I wanted to show that oversized flash cards were the best for it:

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Just got Pendragon and am going to give it a solitaire play later when I get a chance to get away from my visiting family.

So, I noticed that they changed the solitaire difficulty settings and that the player can now win in a non-final round - except on what they consider the hard difficulty option. That's a pretty big change. For my first play through I'm thinking of playing as the combined Britons until fragmentation and then playing as the Dux, but I'm going to go through all six rounds regardless. A bit of a mix between easy and hard, but I'm hoping that it's not too easy to just stomp on the barbarians with staggered Dux-Briton commands like it is in FitL.

Looking forward to this. It'll probably take a while just because of all I have to keep track of, this is easily the most complicated COIN game, FitL and FS are nothing compared to this.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Chill la Chill posted:

BTW I forget if it was in this thread or in the board game thread but someone asked about the best way to make tuckboxes and I wanted to show that oversized flash cards were the best for it:

That was me in this thread. Thanks!

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

https://twitter.com/volko26/status/945747275099361280

Wonder what sort of series this could be.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Tsarist Russia?

EDIT: nope, that's the crest of the Teutonic Order. Crusades??!!

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 27, 2017

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Looks like the crest for the Teutonic Order.

edit: gently caress, beaten

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
A good mail day.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

COOL CORN posted:

A good mail day.

nice!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Hahah, I set up Der Weltkrieg on my floor. I didn't even have room for the Ottoman Empire.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard
Does the game really come with a triangular shaped piece of paper?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

tomdidiot posted:

Does the game really come with a triangular shaped piece of paper?

The two Italy maps are together and you're supposed to cut off the top corner of one to put at the bottom of the other... it's weird. The other maps cover up the cut off part.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

FMguru posted:

There's a successor game - Federation Commander - which semi-successfully tries to remove some of the grog cruft and setting bloat and update the graphics from SFB's 1980s black-and-white Mac Classic running Pagemaker look that might be worth looking into.

Another option would be to play Talon with homebrew Star Trek poo poo: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/131311/talon-star-fleet

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm sad Streets Of Stalingrad 4 got cancelled

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Phi230 posted:

If you can't have units with a strength of "?", what good is your game?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

COOL CORN posted:

A good mail day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Deg7VrpHbM

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Phi230 posted:

One of the two dudes is relaunching it, possibly under a different name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Thank you very much FMGuru for the response! After digging a little harder, I decided that Federation Commander was probably more my speed.

I spent most of this afternoon learning that game, and started an LP of it.