Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

_____!
May 2, 2004

Oh yeah mainly I was more concerned with whether it's a terrible idea to start with build 1953 being that it is (very understandably) more janky than the final. In a sort of "if you can't beat them, join them" mentality towards updating the visuals.

As far as the game itself goes it looks dated (both visually and play-wise) but I don't think I'd have too much of a problem with that since I usually play older games anyway:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

_____! posted:

Oh yeah mainly I was more concerned with whether it's a terrible idea to start with build 1953 being that it is (very understandably) more janky than the final. In a sort of "if you can't beat them, join them" mentality towards updating the visuals.

As far as the game itself goes it looks dated (both visually and play-wise) but I don't think I'd have too much of a problem with that since I usually play older games anyway:v:

I mean, go for it. It only costs you your time. An alternative would be to just download anomaly or Call of Chernobyl standalone. From what I remember CoC felt very "vanilla SoC" without any addons. Less buggy and more maps though

_____!
May 2, 2004

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I mean, go for it. It only costs you your time. An alternative would be to just download anomaly or Call of Chernobyl standalone. From what I remember CoC felt very "vanilla SoC" without any addons. Less buggy and more maps though

Cool thank you! I definitely want to check out anomaly/gamma at some point since it definitely seems like a more sandboxy type approach would work incredibly well, but jumping off the deep end and missing story wouldn't be ideal.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would not personally say that the story in STALKER makes a great deal of sense anyway but you should hopefully pick up some of the vague themes at least :v:

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
I’m a really big fan of playing SOC with the OGSE mod, ideally 0692 version which might be harder to find. Looks better than vanilla, adds in new guns and gear but still plays very vanilla-esque. IMO version 0693 adds a bit too much more into the game.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Booted up Gamma for the first time in a minute, and I find myself in the laundromat, having completely forgotten how ruthless Outskirts can be
I head out and I'm not even 100 meters north, stuffing my face with heinz cold beans, when I'm jumped by a pack of psuedodogs.
No problem, I start blasting with my KS-12, feeling a little overequipped for someone who actually gets bit and loses a fair chunk of health

Over course, my shooting has now attracted the chimera that was apparently just chilling behind a bus, which isn't really a problem until two more come charging out from between some apartment buildings.
I try to cancel my bandaging animation, fail, and have just enough time to kill a couple of them before limping into another apartment block, near death, bleeding and barely able to kill my last pursuer after some juking and down a staircase.

While again mummifying and stuffing my face full of pills, I look down the corridor, through the other exit, where no less than four controllers march across the playground outside. My vision blurs, and I decide that's a very bad direction to head in, so I jab the last AI-2 needle in my arm and go head back out from where I came in, but now there's a threeman squad of UNISIG? just waiting for me in the middle of the street? all verbalizing barks in perfect unison before swinging and just melting me in a second? of course there is

also all the SSS stuff they added in the last patch looks great in action

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
playing Stalker Gamma and i sometimes notice the artifacts on my belt have returned to 100% condition. Is this a bug or am i missing something?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Regarde Aduck posted:

playing Stalker Gamma and i sometimes notice the artifacts on my belt have returned to 100% condition. Is this a bug or am i missing something?

Don't some recharge in certain conditions?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://i.imgur.com/owfifaZ.mp4

Been sneaking around Yantar at night taking down stalkers alone in the dark.

Occasionally barking and howling.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I'm glad that's all it is :dumb:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Extremely steatlhy darth vader and robot walking noises.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

BrotherJayne posted:

True Stalker is pretty good so far

Def miss my poo poo from Anomaly tho

seconding this recommendation for True Stakler

the good:
- multiple playable characters
- multiple endings
- major UI improvements
- new maps are awesome
- high production value
- great localization

the bad:
- spawns you directly into a kill zone on multiple occasions

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://i.imgur.com/oUzsvT2.mp4

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

I play this map on Contractors VR all the time

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://i.imgur.com/zJKS73Z.mp4

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I did not see that one coming, you're a mad genius.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

How's the rent in that area?

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
Anyone had experiences with consistent crashes at the very end of the UNISG storyline? Literally at the end of what is clearly the last conversation, you say your last line and it crashes. I can’t seem to get this to work regardless of my choices.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Killswitch posted:

Anyone had experiences with consistent crashes at the very end of the UNISG storyline? Literally at the end of what is clearly the last conversation, you say your last line and it crashes. I can’t seem to get this to work regardless of my choices.

I've been having crashes in Outskirts that I havent been able to pin down a cause but I thought it had to do with UNISG.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I was playing Anomaly a few months ago, and really enjoying it, except for the crashes. My hardware has changed since then and I want to try again, with Gamma. I've got a few questions about it if no one minds.

First, do I need to go through and look up what each of the mods does before playing or are they introduced to me gradually?

Second, is exploration rewarded now? In Anomaly, there weren't any reasons to go exploring, because there wasn't any special items placed beforehand - unless you had a quest or stash locations.

Third, one thing that bugged me was that outposts that are (normally) supposed to have NPCs in them, don't. Like the northern village in Cordon that neutral stalkers occupy. It has the vendor and the gunsmith, but nobody else. Or the outposts in that (awful) forest zone to the east of Cordon.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
Gamma will be a massive shock to your system on your first play right out of the box with the defaults. At least it was for me. There are 400+ mods and if you want it to be truer to the original you’re gonna spend a lot of time testing changes and researching.

Performance-wise it is much heavier than vanilla anomaly. I am still rolling a 5600G apu and no dedicated graphics card yet which is not up to the task of running gamma well even on low settings at 1080p so I have not done much in it other than wander and look around.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Node posted:

I was playing Anomaly a few months ago, and really enjoying it, except for the crashes. My hardware has changed since then and I want to try again, with Gamma. I've got a few questions about it if no one minds.

First, do I need to go through and look up what each of the mods does before playing or are they introduced to me gradually?

Second, is exploration rewarded now? In Anomaly, there weren't any reasons to go exploring, because there wasn't any special items placed beforehand - unless you had a quest or stash locations.

Third, one thing that bugged me was that outposts that are (normally) supposed to have NPCs in them, don't. Like the northern village in Cordon that neutral stalkers occupy. It has the vendor and the gunsmith, but nobody else. Or the outposts in that (awful) forest zone to the east of Cordon.

Like Killswitch said GAMMA is pretty different from vanilla Anomaly, you'll probably start over a few times until you start grasping the mechanics. But to try and answer your questions more directly:

1) Not really, and you're likely to not understand just based off of the mod's name anyway. There is an extremely helpful source of information built in to the game via the Guide tab on your PDA, definitely give it a read. Also check out the manual channel in the GAMMA discord. Some of the info is outdated, but at the very least will give you an overview of the modpack's various systems.

2) Yes, to a degree; there's dynamic loot placed all over the Zone, so you'll generally find stuff like minor repair or healing items, or a weapon or armor part, food, stuff like that.

3) GAMMA is pretty populous, you won't find empty outposts. Except maybe Darkscape, but Darkscape sucks.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
Seems like the place to share this trailer for STALKER Shadow of the Zone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX99srRcKIs

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://i.imgur.com/pEIxtIP.mp4

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Hilarious jank aside, this freeze frame is terrifying

What was the sound that increased in pitch with each hit on the mutant?

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
I went and explored the final generators map now that im done with all the storyline stuff, was this a cut map? I don’t recall it from any of the series, seems like a real shame, it is very big and a lot of potential.

Has anyone actually explored the monolith war lab?? I’ve not yet been able to get into it. Also it seems ridiculous that you can’t even get in at all if you’re playing as monolith if you believe all the chat on various forums over the years, seems that storyline is a prerequisite to even be feasible

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

buglord posted:

Hilarious jank aside, this freeze frame is terrifying

What was the sound that increased in pitch with each hit on the mutant?

It's one of the GAMMA artifacts, I forget the name of it but the gimmick is that it raises your damage for every consecutive hit, but if you miss you will take an amount of damage scaled based on how high you'd gotten the bonus.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Electric_Mud posted:

Seems like the place to share this trailer for STALKER Shadow of the Zone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX99srRcKIs

Wait, someone's just made a full rear end STALKER movie?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Evil Kit posted:

yeah it was a russian guy in the late 70s pretty cool https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3hBLv-HLEc

_____!
May 2, 2004

No one tell 'em there's a book from even earlier...:ssh:

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

Evil Kit posted:

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

yeah it was a russian guy in the late 70s pretty cool https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3hBLv-HLEc

Beat me to the joke answer but yes, some guys who've made some SCP movies, they're like 30-50 mins long are making a STALKER movie. Successfully kickstarted a bit ago and it's getting ready to release.

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
Honestly it doesn't feel much like STALKER and seems more of a generic Tacticool LARP that happens to have some STALKER flavoring

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

_____! posted:

No one tell 'em there's a book from even earlier...:ssh:

Roadside Picnic is fantastic, Red is a fantastic protagonist :unsmith:.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://i.imgur.com/LchQBRD.mp4

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Your FOV is driving me bananas

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
let he, who is struck, yell: every max FOV gamer I've.known got there by trying to sub specs for skill..

the Lord knows better than VAC what you didl

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I too have my face no more than three inches from my monitor

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,