Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm not sure if this was posted yet, but The World was always in the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

hoobajoo posted:

The real money is in moe, so David does what David needs to do to bring us more JoJo.

Jojo can be moe, just look at Speedwagon.

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs

I've been wanting someone to do this with J.Geil

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

My favourite thing about the last episode was how Jotaro was only able to survive due to DIO narrating his actions out loud

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

My favourite thing about the last episode was how Jotaro was only able to survive due to DIO narrating his actions out loud
He, DIO, did not get the most powerful Stand so that he, DIO, could get called Mister not tell everyone about it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Phantom Blood/Battle Tendency dub DVD delayed till September 30th, it seems.
http://www.rightstufanime.com/JoJos-Bizarre-Adventure-Season-1-DVD-Hyb

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm crying

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

This is bullshit.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

The delay better be to change the loving boxart.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

hey, it could always be ready sooner and RS will break that date :shrug:

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
When was it supposed to be out originally? I read a few weeks ago that the dub was A Thing That Was Happening but I didn't ever look into it any further.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
In July, but I'd honestly say that might've been a placeholder date since that was pretty close to the AX panel of it.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I'm mad as hell

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

If they release some clips of the dub voices I'll be happy again though. Or at least the dub cast.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
If young Joseph sounds nothing like Richard Epcar I'll be scratching my head.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Joseph's voice actor in English is apparently Ben Diskin, who's been in a fair amount of stuff, but it's all either something I don't know, as an "additional voice" or super minor role, or a role where he's doing a really non-standard voice that doesn't help me picture what he'd sound like as Joseph.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

TriffTshngo posted:

Joseph's voice actor in English is apparently Ben Diskin, who's been in a fair amount of stuff, but it's all either something I don't know, as an "additional voice" or super minor role, or a role where he's doing a really non-standard voice that doesn't help me picture what he'd sound like as Joseph.

He was Number 1 in Kid's Next Door, supposedly. It must have been a decade and half since I saw that, but should be easy to find examples.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I never saw Kids Next Door since I was already too old for it by the time it aired so I went to YouTube for examples. Um, there are way too many AMVs with serious songs for this kid's show. Googling the VA's name brought me his Twitter where I see he's already making "next you'll say...!" jokes so I can only surmise that the role is in good hands. I know it's been over a decade since I first got into anime, but I still can't shake memories of the early 00s where people would ask the voice actor of a main character "what's your favorite part of (anime)?" and the answer would be "to be honest I've never actually watched an episode and I don't even know what the plot is!"

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

The only bad thing is that THE WORLD doesn't sound even remotely as awesome and over-the-top as ZA WARUDO.
Other than that, I'll definitely check out the dub.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
It'll depend on the full cast for me...other than stuff I have childhood nostalgia for, I generally only watch things subbed these days.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

PiedPiper posted:

The only bad thing is that THE WORLD doesn't sound even remotely as awesome and over-the-top as ZA WARUDO.
Other than that, I'll definitely check out the dub.

He should just inexplicably shout "El...MUNDO!" Everyone in the US would understand it anyway so it basically counts as English. (Disclaimer: I live in Texas so my perception of how many people know basic Spanish may be skewed.)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Xibanya posted:

He should just inexplicably shout "El...MUNDO!" Everyone in the US would understand it anyway so it basically counts as English. (Disclaimer: I live in Texas so my perception of how many people know basic Spanish may be skewed.)

Switch all of the gratuitous English to gratuitous Spanish. Have Joseph shout AY DIOS MIO. Do it.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Dias posted:

Switch all of the gratuitous English to gratuitous Spanish. Have Joseph shout AY DIOS MIO. Do it.

I desperately want now a (Mexican) Spanish dub of Jojo.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I know this is being pedantic as poo poo, but after years hearing tokio tomare or whatever it was, it's weird when dio says it backwards, or maybe it's the correct way in fact

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I read somewhere that "toki wo tomare" isn't grammatically correct, but that's more a stylistic thing to convey that DIO is telling time itself to stop, as opposed to telling The World to stop time.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Dio says "Toki Yo Tomare", that's why people say it's incorrect.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

ChaosArgate posted:

I read somewhere that "toki wo tomare" isn't grammatically correct, but that's more a stylistic thing to convey that DIO is telling time itself to stop, as opposed to telling The World to stop time.

My Japanese is very rusty, and was never good in the first place, but my understanding is that "wo" refers to the object. "I drink Sprite" would be "watashi wa (wa being the particle for the subject) Sprite wo (object) nomimasu (drink)". "yo" is like an exclamation mark, and "tomare" is the imperative form.

So "toki wo tomare" doesn't make grammatical sense, but "toki yo tomare' would be "CLOCK! STOP!"

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Like has been mentioned previously, it's DIO being a dick to time itself.

Maximum Chenergy
Aug 30, 2007

Its black mist swallows all.

Because it keeps coming up I found a scan from the original Japanese version where he shouts his line. Unsurprisingly it's the grammatically correct option.

Now we can stop bringing this up, right?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

No, DIO being great should be the topic at all times.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

So the grammatically incorrect version was Capcom's doing then?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
The grammatically incorrect version was people mishearing the Capcom audio. There's really not much difference between actually saying "wo" or "yo" in the first place.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ever take a moment to consider that the concept of grammar is wrong and DIO was correct?

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
MEZAME TAMAE
WAGA ARUJITACHI WO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoOW1Vvl2oU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
The true answer is that DIO doesn't actually speak Japanese. Of course he'd botch it.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

The Lord of Hats posted:

The true answer is that DIO doesn't actually speak Japanese. Of course he'd botch it.

Dio as a teenage weeaboo, 'learning' japanese from Anime fansubs.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I have to conclude that everyone in Stardust Crusaders is actually speaking English. Joseph is lazy as gently caress and would never learn Japanese, let alone any other second language. I happen to have gone to college with a guy who was both French and an idiot, so I absolutely believe that Polnareff can speak English, and I never doubted that Avdol could speak English since lots of North Africans are polyglots by necessity. And I guess Jotaro would speak English because of his mom (his English speaking credentials are the most suspect, to be honest.) Therefore the grammar issue is moot as Araki was actually eavesdropping into an alternate universe in which all this happened and feverishly translating everything he heard from English to Japanese.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

So I presume this is going to be the final episode, unless the OVA cut out something big.

I wonder how they will handle the finale but I'm afraid the censor will ruin it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
kakyoin taught dio japanese when they were buds

• Locked thread