Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Their Second Life trilogy is amazing and also gave me warm, fuzzy nostalgia for the days when the front page actually made content.

Len posted:

I must be dead inside because when I see character creators I hit random a couple times and then move on. I spend the game looking at my dudes back or from his eyes I just don't see the point.

I personally don't really care about them or take advantage of it but I appreciate that it exists and what it produces. To the point where I start to feel inadequate when, say, I see beautifully crafted and decorated farm in Stardew Valley while mine is a geometric hellscape of columns and rows and my house still has default flooring and wallpaper because I'm too busy farming to interior decorate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

CJacobs posted:

For me it's a matter of personalization. The more detail I put into creating my character, the closer to them I feel. To feel connected to them heightens the sense of pride I feel when I do something real cool.

I like when your character's dumb custom face shows up in the cutsenes.

It greatly improved dragon age origins.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Len posted:

I must be dead inside because when I see character creators I hit random a couple times and then move on. I spend the game looking at my dudes back or from his eyes I just don't see the point.

Same, and everytime people post their unique snowflake messed up monstrosities I find them vaguely interesting but after seeing one or two I don't find them funny anymore. All character creation engines kind of just roll into each other anyway and now I just literally take the first pre-made face I don't hate.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
For me, it's a mix of psuedo-roleplaying my characters in game, wanting to play fantasy/space fantasy dressup, and a perverse sense of enjoyment from making an otherwise serious game unintentionally hilarious.

Nuebot posted:

I like when your character's dumb custom face shows up in the cutsenes.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Nuebot posted:

I think this was from 2? But by the time I finished with this, his face looked like a vagina.

Everyone needs to watch all three spore videos I laughed until it hurt.

I wonder if they take recommendations because Bladestorm Nightmare is a bad game with a character creator that lets you make some weird looking goblin people if you want to.

Also they already exploded Shepard in Mass Effect 2, they should take a stab at more Bioware titles like Inquisition.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 01:22 on Oct 11, 2016

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Miijhal posted:

For me, it's a mix of psuedo-roleplaying my characters in game, wanting to play fantasy/space fantasy dressup, and a perverse sense of enjoyment from making an otherwise serious game unintentionally hilarious.

See dressup is one thing especially in games like Secret World where the clothes don't make any difference in stats. But even there my face was just a bland generic thing. My clothes though? Oh man was I a wonderfully flamboyant thing. I once crashed an RP wedding wearing a speedo, fairy wings, and a unicorn mask.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Miijhal posted:

Way of the Samurai has my absolute favorite dressup.

I should go back and 100% it.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

marshmallow creep posted:

I wonder if they take recommendations because Bladestorm Nightmare is a bad game with a character creator that lets you make some weird looking goblin people if you want to.

Also they already exploded Shepard in Mass Effect 2, they should take a stab at more Bioware titles like Inquisition.

I really want them to do Dragonball Xenoverse, just to see if it's actually possible to make a Goku that doesn't have the one face Toriyama ever draws

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

I'm sure they would love some recommendations for games with batshit crazy character creators. For some reason, I keep getting the feeling that they think they're scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
They've done games that got a lot of suggestions before, some of their best episodes have been the lovely freemium Korean MMOs people recommended them because it led to such comedy gold as Bart Simpson or the one with the creepy pedobait class being turned into freakish rat creature who vapes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Qo1Aj_leEo

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Len posted:

It's fun to make weirdos. Meet KLUBBA:

KLUBBA, as you may be able to guess, likes clubs.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.
An example of a near practical use of the duping glitch in a TES game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn5EUIsP-uI

Ocato needs his greens.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

dordreff posted:

I really want them to do Dragonball Xenoverse, just to see if it's actually possible to make a Goku that doesn't have the one face Toriyama ever draws

That game's character creator just has you pick a face from a list. There's not much room for crazyface but it does help keep a consistent artstyle.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

If you tweet at Griffen McElroy about MF suggestions, he will often take them under suggestion.

I yelled at him about Blade & Soul for a while and they made a video about it. So that cool.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

If you tweet at Griffen McElroy about MF suggestions, he will often take them under suggestion.

I yelled at him about Blade & Soul for a while and they made a video about it. So that cool.

Someone needs to yell at them to do Way of the Samurai then. Between the outfit fuckery and just being able to run around town clowning the NPCs, it seems like good video material.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Kevin Bacon posted:

Does this really happen? This is the best thing ever

All too often, unfortunately.

The AI has a bunch of random "world building" scripts they run occasionally which just completely ignore any poo poo you actually happen to be doing at the time, and what your relationship happens to be with the AI in question.

So, yes, you can be hiding behind a barrel in the middle of a cave full of cannibal necromancers and suddenly one of the apprentices will run straight up to you and politely ask your permission to keep some mouldy old boots you tossed out and then fireball your face.

m2pt5 posted:

Personally, I thought arrow duping was more fun than scroll duping,

Skyrim had an incredibly silly way to get infinite arrows of any kind you wanted. Archers have an infinite arrow supply, but it bases off what kind of arrow is in their inventory. If they have a simple wood arrow, they shoot that. But if you pickpocket them a kickass ebony arrow and steal their scrub tier arrows, they'll now shoot infinite ebony arrows.

So all you need to do is go to any city or army camp where archers are practising shooting at targets, give them the top tier arrows and then just stand next to the targets and collect them as they fire them off.

Of course, less than 10 hours into the game you can learn how to create god level weapons and never give a poo poo about arrow type ever again.

Actual damage dealt is in green at the bottom left:

And for reference, the most powerful enemy in the game has around 5000 health. The bow does almost 1.3 million damage per shot, no matter what arrow you use.

I have so many screenshots of stats from weapons, armour and potions when I broke the game and I've posted the one of the "godly" bow more than once.

But you do need to be careful. It's more that possible to make things which cause buffer overflows and you end up with negative damage and armour ratings. Or negative health regen rates. Then bad things happen and you can crash your game so badly you have to reinstall it.

But I just love a game that lets me do poo poo like that using completely legitimate in-game mechanisms.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 06:46 on Oct 11, 2016

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
It was always extra fun skirting the line of "incredibly good, would complete the game easily" to "absolutely loving ridiculously powerful, will literally one-hit any five things in the game no matter what" to "Will gently caress your game so hard your grandkids won't be able to reinstall it properly" when doing the fortify trick.

I learned that you can make yourself technically invincible to almost anything if you have one item with insane health regen, but if you don't pair that with fortify health, it's still possible for things to one-shot you anyway. And falling damage is percentage based, so hopping off the throat of the world WILL still kill you, even at 13 billion health.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Gorilla Salad posted:

Of course, less than 10 hours into the game you can learn how to create god level weapons and never give a poo poo about arrow type ever again.

Actual damage dealt is in green at the bottom left:

I looked up how that works earlier, and (for anyone that doesn't know) all enchantments on armor are considered "restoration" school, so unequipping/re-equipping armor while under the effect of a fortify restoration potion increases the power of all enchantments on them until you next unequip the piece in question. Because of this, you can wear a bunch of fortify alchemy gear and do a loop of fortify restoration potion - re-equip alchemy gear - make a more powerful potion, and repeat. That's how people get those absolutely ridiculous enchantments and weapon/armor power boosts.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
My personal favourite broken poo poo in Skyrim is the bugged out shouts. The Marked for Death shout is supposed to decrease enemy health and armour by a certain amount for 60 seconds; the health loss works as intended but it actually permanently decreases armour by a certain amount every second for 60 seconds. You can even give enemies negative armour values, so your hits do even more damage. If it's a respawning enemy, the decreased stats will also carry over to every other time it spawns. You can literally yell at an enemy so hard it fucks up its existence permanently.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

In Morrowind you could use an alchemy loop to give yourself ludicrous strength. This did however mean that every weapon you wielded would break on the first blow.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

The Lone Badger posted:

In Morrowind you could use an alchemy loop to give yourself ludicrous strength. This did however mean that every weapon you wielded would break on the first blow.

That one 4chan post from 11 years ago remains the classic morrowind.txt

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

dordreff posted:

My personal favourite broken poo poo in Skyrim is the bugged out shouts.

If you really want fun with shouts, hunt down an Amulet of Talos. On its own, it decreases time between shouts by 20%.

But of course, we can do better than that.

Make a restoration potion with effects greater than 500%, you'll probably need to be a little way along the old fortify/enchanting loop to be able to do this.

Drink the potion. Equip the talisman. Never take it off. Shout to your heart's content with 0 cooldown.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

dordreff posted:

My personal favourite broken poo poo in Skyrim is the bugged out shouts. The Marked for Death shout is supposed to decrease enemy health and armour by a certain amount for 60 seconds; the health loss works as intended but it actually permanently decreases armour by a certain amount every second for 60 seconds. You can even give enemies negative armour values, so your hits do even more damage. If it's a respawning enemy, the decreased stats will also carry over to every other time it spawns. You can literally yell at an enemy so hard it fucks up its existence permanently.

This also works for followers (or did, hopefully they fixed it) causing them to gradually become useless because the Marked for Death hits a pretty large area, and it's easy to wing a follower while fighting enemies. Eventually my various housecarls and mercenaries all became so weak and brittle that almost a single hit from any enemy would disable them. I had no idea until I found out about the glitch.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

If you really want fun with shouts, hunt down an Amulet of Talos. On its own, it decreases time between shouts by 20%.

But of course, we can do better than that.

Make a restoration potion with effects greater than 500%, you'll probably need to be a little way along the old fortify/enchanting loop to be able to do this.

Drink the potion. Equip the talisman. Never take it off. Shout to your heart's content with 0 cooldown.
wait how does this work

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Fortify Shouts, the enchantment, counts as casting a Fortify Shouts buff spell on yourself for certain purposes, one of which is effectiveness scaling with the appropriate skill. In Skyrim, if you reduce a spell cost (and evidently a shout recharge time, probably the same kind of thing on the back end) enough, it rounds down to zero.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My first place through of Mass Effect 1, I didn't realize just how off the lighting and everything in the creator was to the actual game. I thought I made something looking like Space Fonzie. Instead, I made a black haired, pink-chinked albino with the world's worst stubble and constantly squinting eyes. Any time he was supposed to wince or squint his eyelids spasmed constantly. I lost it at the very end of the game, where Shepard poses dramatically as the music swells. Bob Shepard: Space Hero

I was so, so disappointed that the character import for ME2 fixed it and made him look like a normal human again.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I'd just like to say all this elder scrolls talk got me to reinstall skyrim again.

Tiny skeleton literally stealing the pants off of everyone in solitude.

RBA Starblade posted:

My first place through of Mass Effect 1, I didn't realize just how off the lighting and everything in the creator was to the actual game.

I hate when games do that and give you fancy lighting with no alternative options for their character creator. Fallout 3 did the same thing, only letting you preview your dude through that tiny little grainy window so you had no clue if your actual character would look after the tint and visual effect on that image were removed. So my favorite thing is something a lot of MMOs have been doing lately, like Blade and Soul and FFXIV. And that is they let you preview your character in different environments and lighting such as indoors/outdoors and the different times of days so you can get a feel for how your character looks.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
:CHIM:

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

RBA Starblade posted:

My first place through of Mass Effect 1, I didn't realize just how off the lighting and everything in the creator was to the actual game. I thought I made something looking like Space Fonzie. Instead, I made a black haired, pink-chinked albino with the world's worst stubble and constantly squinting eyes. Any time he was supposed to wince or squint his eyelids spasmed constantly. I lost it at the very end of the game, where Shepard poses dramatically as the music swells. Bob Shepard: Space Hero

I was so, so disappointed that the character import for ME2 fixed it and made him look like a normal human again.

You must have loved it when they broke the character importer in ME3, to the point where the hex code the ME1/2 generator made actually corresponded to completely different values for most of the categories in 3.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

My first play through of ME1 I tried to make an generically handsome Asian dude. Loaded up the game proper and it was literally George Takei. No regrets.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Gorilla Salad posted:

But you do need to be careful. It's more that possible to make things which cause buffer overflows and you end up with negative damage and armour ratings. Or negative health regen rates. Then bad things happen and you can crash your game so badly you have to reinstall it.

How the gently caress do you mess up/corrupt a save file so hard that it harms your actual installation?

I mean, outside of stuff like the uninstaller in the first printing of the Pool of Radiance remake I'm not sure how that's even possible.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

WarLocke posted:

How the gently caress do you mess up/corrupt a save file so hard that it harms your actual installation?

I mean, outside of stuff like the uninstaller in the first printing of the Pool of Radiance remake I'm not sure how that's even possible.

Good question, it's something you just stop asking about once you start really loving up skyrim or any other bethesda game though. "Just do a fresh reinstall" is what you do when the game stops working even after you remove every mod and it's still crashing when you try to start a new file. It's the game's way of saying no.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

WarLocke posted:

Watch a Pokemon Blue mega glitch LP, then apply that to a harddrive.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

WarLocke posted:

I assume the save gets so hosed up that it starts rewriting the game memory proper (due to data overflows of some sort).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Morpheus posted:

I assume the save gets so hosed up that it starts rewriting the game memory proper (due to data overflows of some sort).

That would be fixable by trashing the save and starting over. If the entire install goes bad that means the game is modifying its own files on disk and I can't think of a legitimate reason for that to even be possible.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I~m pretty sure mods for Bethesda games frequently overwrite existing scripts and assets. And even if they don't, it's often easier to reinstall the game from scratch than to search through the maze of dependencies to determine what can be deleted, and what is conversely missing some component.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Oh yeah, mods are a whole nother story, I thought he was saying you could make the stock game destroy itself just by playing it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I have no idea why, but it has honestly happened to me more than once.

When I ask people who seem to understand how computer games work they just say, "It's Bethesda."

There's a glitch thread and every post which isn't about an Elder Scrolls game is probably about Space Station 13.

If you want to get into programming which makes absolutely no rational sense, explore the world of games with recursive cooking which crash the computer of anyone looking at food* and where "being invisible no longer makes you deaf" because they changed the game's code so that sound no longer has to "see" players.

* in game

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 16:24 on Oct 12, 2016

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

That's not unheard of either, though. In revision 1.0 of Super Mario Land 2: The Six Golden Coins it's possible, within the first two minutes or so of the game, to fall into memory addresses mapped out with game objects. Break the wrong brick and whoops your game crashes and becomes unbootable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Some games will keep data on your computer after they've been uninstalled. Usually game saves or config settings so that if you decide to reinstall you can pick back up without having to start over or tinker with settings. My guess is something crucial in those becomes corrupted and interferes with a fresh install.

As to why: :shrug: Bethesda