Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ok, here's the can of worms, I'm gonna pop the top!

http://www.androidcentral.com/camera-showdown-moto-x-pure-edition-vs-lg-g4

Android Central claims it's pretty much a wash between the G4 and the Pure edition as far as camera goes.

*DUCKS*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I think the Pure's camera is excellent. I'm coming from an LG G3 and a Nokia Lumia before that, so hopefully I have a bit of comparative history with good cameras. The LG camera was in no discernible way better than the Pure in low light with moving subjects (they both suck)

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I think my iPhone camera was overall better in more situations but when the Pure gets a good shot it's usually really loving good.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
:siren: Federal government investigating Google/Android for antitrust violations :siren:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/09/report-feds-investigating-if-googles-android-violates-antitrust-rules/

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

I"m still amazed people go after Google for this, but not for Apple's closed garden iOS ecosystem.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

bull3964 posted:

Ok, here's the can of worms, I'm gonna pop the top!

http://www.androidcentral.com/camera-showdown-moto-x-pure-edition-vs-lg-g4

Android Central claims it's pretty much a wash between the G4 and the Pure edition as far as camera goes.

*DUCKS*

:psyduck:

I think this comment sums it up pretty well:

"If this is a full auto comparison then I think you're right S6 > Moto > G4 while keeping in mind that the G4 in Manual destroys everything in Auto. Good point."

Since I'm lazy and only ever use Auto-mode, I guess it's an S6 even though the price makes me cringe.

Come on Blackberry Priv! Take good auto shots! :unsmith:

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Why would a new phone not auto download my apps onto it? I just activated an Idol 3 for a work phone and usually when I first put my Google account info it will auto download all the stuff I have on my old phone, but it isn't doing that with the Idol. Any idea how to make it?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I"m still amazed people go after Google for this, but not for Apple's closed garden iOS ecosystem.

quote:

According to IDC, an industry analysis firm, Android currently retains 59 percent of the American smartphone operating system market, with iOS at 38 percent ... Worldwide, Android has over 82 percent of the market.
I'm interested in whether that figure counts Android+GApps Google is definitely responsible for, or all the hundreds of custom Androidish flavours that they aren't, though.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Blackberry CEO tries to show off the Priv, doesn't seem very practiced at using Android, much less demonstrating it:
http://www.androidcentral.com/john-chen-offers-closer-look-priv-blackberry

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Apparently my '14 Moto X that has a sideloaded version of the early 5.1 leak isn't going to update to the Stagefright patch. Is there a way to manually update without wiping everything (and without root)?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rastor posted:

Blackberry CEO tries to show off the Priv, doesn't seem very practiced at using Android, much less demonstrating it:
Watching him fumble his own phone is hilarious.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Apparently my '14 Moto X that has a sideloaded version of the early 5.1 leak isn't going to update to the Stagefright patch. Is there a way to manually update without wiping everything (and without root)?

I had this same problem.

The only way forward in terms of getting updates is to unlock the bootloader (which wipes the device) and manually flash the 5.1 image.

Edit: What system version are you on?

nimper fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Sep 25, 2015

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Rastor posted:

An awkward video with an awkward CEO with an awkward phone with an awkward name. Perfect for Blackberry actually.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Red_Fred posted:

Any alternate stop-gap phones if the 2015 G isn't available in your country yet? This Galaxy Nexus is killing me and I need something better until new flagship or Z5.

Any calls on this?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Tunga posted:

Watching him fumble his own phone is hilarious.

In a nutshell, they nailed BB's problem in this video.

I mean, I know you are a CEO and are insulated. You should still know how the gently caress the software of the market leader works since they were your competitor up until this point.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Red_Fred posted:

Any calls on this?

I went from a Galaxy Nexus to a Moto X 2013 in January. Night and day difference. I'd highly recommend it, especially if you like the 4.7" form factor.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

TollTheHounds posted:

:psyduck:

I think this comment sums it up pretty well:

"If this is a full auto comparison then I think you're right S6 > Moto > G4 while keeping in mind that the G4 in Manual destroys everything in Auto. Good point."

Since I'm lazy and only ever use Auto-mode, I guess it's an S6 even though the price makes me cringe.

Come on Blackberry Priv! Take good auto shots! :unsmith:

EBay daily deals has had the S6 for like $430 recently.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

nimper posted:

I had this same problem.

The only way forward in terms of getting updates is to unlock the bootloader (which wipes the device) and manually flash the 5.1 image.

Edit: What system version are you on?

I'm on 23.1.28.victara_tmo.en.US

Bootloader was unlocked when I bought it (used). If I manually flash the newest firmware, will it preserve my data? I know with Nexus devices you can specifically flash just the system partition but I don't really know how Moto firmware works.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I'm on 23.1.28.victara_tmo.en.US

Bootloader was unlocked when I bought it (used). If I manually flash the newest firmware, will it preserve my data? I know with Nexus devices you can specifically flash just the system partition but I don't really know how Moto firmware works.

Yeah I think you can skip the command that wipes the data.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

In a nutshell, they nailed BB's problem in this video.

I mean, I know you are a CEO and are insulated. You should still know how the gently caress the software of the market leader works since they were your competitor up until this point.
"It runs Google" just about summed it up.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="450672164"]
EBay daily deals has had the S6 for like $430 recently.

Been tempted with that but no warranty in US. Unsure if international warranty applies and how that works for Samsung.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Rastor posted:

God that was painful to watch...

What's even more painful is that I have friends who are such die-hard keyboard fans that they trust BB after this video to make a stellar device. Because keyboard.

I'd totally try the phone...if it wasn't BB doing it. Maybe Motorola or, hell, HTC.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

ThermoPhysical posted:

God that was painful to watch...

What's even more painful is that I have friends who are such die-hard keyboard fans that they trust BB after this video to make a stellar device. Because keyboard.

I'd totally try the phone...if it wasn't BB doing it. Maybe Motorola or, hell, HTC.

The thing that sucks is that this will be the only Android phone you can buy with a physical keyboard and if it tanks we will probably not see another phone with one for another decade since it will "prove" that keyboards are dead (until Apple makes an iPhone Pro with one, of course).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Crossposting from the app thread since Hangouts stuff usually lands in here too:

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/09/25/tip-use-nfc-to-transfer-hangouts-calls-from-one-device-to-another/

Two devices with NFC can use Android Beam to transfer phone calls between each device provided that call is through Hangouts.

Technology has reached a point where you can take a phone call from your phone and send it to your tablet or other phone just by having them within close proximity to one another.

Huh.

Mr.Radar posted:

The thing that sucks is that this will be the only Android phone you can buy with a physical keyboard and if it tanks we will probably not see another phone with one for another decade since it will "prove" that keyboards are dead (until Apple makes an iPhone Pro with one, of course).

Yeah...it might do okay. But I don't know if this video helped it in any way.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Mr.Radar posted:

Am I the only one who thinks "good"? Physical keyboards are antiquated dinosaurs of technology and there is literally no advantage to using them. No swype, or autocorrect, or really loving anything that makes texting on phones even workable. You might as well text with the dialpad again.

The Blackberry Priv is a phone for nobody.

Edit: so apparently you can swype with it because the keyboard is a touchpad or some weird poo poo, based on watching the video. So then my next question is what is the point

FistEnergy posted:

It's too bad their software is even worse than Touchwiz

People keep saying this without saying why. The ONLY thing that annoys me about LG UX is the battery usage being buried beneath like two unnecessary menus, but other than that, it does everything AOSP does and better, so :confused:

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 26, 2015

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Daily Forecast posted:

Am I the only one who thinks "good"? Physical keyboards are antiquated dinosaurs of technology and there is literally no advantage to using them. No swype, or autocorrect, or really loving anything that makes texting on phones even workable. You might as well text with the dialpad again.

The advantage is you can type much faster with far less typos because you can feel the keys. My first phone was a Samsung Moment and I've never texted as much as when I had that phone. I don't really miss physical keyboards and they make phones much bigger and worse build-wise but there are obvious advantages.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Nexus 5X passed FCC

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/09/25/nexus-5x-hits-fcc-with-all-us-carrier-bands-including-verizon/

Not a huge surprise, but it appears to be an all carrier device.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

My best typing experience on a phone so far has been... the Palm Pre. The keyboard was a little small but you could assign auto corrects like "u" to "you". Ah I do miss that phone.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

BottleKnight posted:

The advantage is you can type much faster with far less typos because you can feel the keys. My first phone was a Samsung Moment and I've never texted as much as when I had that phone. I don't really miss physical keyboards and they make phones much bigger and worse build-wise but there are obvious advantages.

I stopped using the keyboard on my old G2 because Swype was just easier and faster

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Between the new apps screen, the ability to hold that and jump to search, and the NFC transfer of Hangout calls this thread is blowing my mind right now...

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Alan_Shore posted:

My best typing experience on a phone so far has been... the Palm Pre. The keyboard was a little small but you could assign auto corrects like "u" to "you". Ah I do miss that phone.

I had a palm pre for a bit, and loved it. I actually still use the notification sound from the Pre for my text messages :)

RIP webOS, you were too good for this world :(

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I had a palm pre for a bit, and loved it. I actually still use the notification sound from the Pre for my text messages :)

RIP webOS, you were too good for this world :(

Another blackberry & pre feature I liked was global search from the home screen, by either typing, or just pressing single letters as shortcuts.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Daily Forecast posted:

People keep saying this without saying why. The ONLY thing that annoys me about LG UX is the battery usage being buried beneath like two unnecessary menus, but other than that, it does everything AOSP does and better, so :confused:

http://m.androidcentral.com/i-actually-dont-really-lg-g4

http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/6/8559275/lg-g4-review

I'm happy that you like your G4, but I find the way that you shoehorn your love for it into every post quite annoying. There are valid reasons to dislike the hardware and software quality, so please stop trying to claim it's definitively better than stock because that's not gonna fly.

I can be finished beating this drum if you can be, too. :thumbsup:

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
On a more productive note, I'm pretty disappointed in how the new Z5C looks:

https://www.androidpit.com/sony-xperia-z5-compact-review

The plastic has gone from a beautiful frosted look to cheap looking anonymity. I'm shocked at how different it looks.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

What's up with the four apps at the top of the new app menus? Kind of random?

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Massasoit posted:

What's up with the four apps at the top of the new app menus? Kind of random?

As you use it will become your most used apps.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Nexus 5X passed FCC

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/09/25/nexus-5x-hits-fcc-with-all-us-carrier-bands-including-verizon/

Not a huge surprise, but it appears to be an all carrier device.
Between the N6, the Moto Pure, and this, I hope this means this is finally table stakes for an unlocked device now.

I'll probably buy it if it's not obscenely priced. I like the N6 fine as a Nexus phone that works on Verizon, but it's too damned big to carry around.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
To follow up on my screens and Gear VR question, did another google before gettin' ready to head to the store - crosspost from Stereo 3d thread:

On the S6 and Note 5 from the man himself:

quote:

Philip Taylor ‏@mallmagician 12h12 hours ago
@ID_AA_Carmack Hi John, will the fov be different when using a bigger screen on consumer gvr? I have s6, but will buy n5 if fov higher. Thx

John CarmackVerified account
‏@ID_AA_Carmack
@mallmagician it is a little bit wider, basically the same as the note 4 vs s6. I wouldn't buy a new phone just for a few degrees of fov.

Norgoth ‏@norgoth91 9h9 hours ago
@ID_AA_Carmack @mallmagician thanks for info. Are the different phones ppi a reason for choosing a certain phone ?

John Carmack ‏@ID_AA_Carmack 2h2 hours ago
@norgoth91 @mallmagician the smaller phones have a little more density and a little less FOV. It isn't a large difference.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

FistEnergy posted:

shoehorn your love for it into every post

lmao, what

I am responding to posts on an internet message board, I'm sorry if you find that distasteful!! You linked two articles that are literally just "my opinion is that this phone is bad", and I could, in return, link twice as many saying "my opinion is that this phone is good", so basically it's loving meaningless.

Whatever though.

edit: and if you really find it 'annoying' then I think you need to go outside and take a deep breath, maybe.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Couldn't figure out a better thread for this... my LG Tone HBS-700 headset is finally starting to die after 2 years. I remember hearing that the original model was better than the 2nd generation model... but what about whatever the current model is? There's the Tone Pro, Tone Ultra, and Tone Infinim, and I'm a little skeptical of the tone infinim because of the retractable earbuds which i feel like would be a major weak point.