Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

LimburgLimbo posted:

I'm not an autist.

LimburgLimbo posted:

Your lack of self awareness is really quite mind boggling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
The Chinese couple right behind me is taking turns going up to the head of the immigration line and just staring at the immigration officer as if it will somehow make them go faster, while the other jostles to try and get in front of me in line.

They're successful in neither of these endeavors but they sure are making life hard for themselves and others.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
gas

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

LimburgLimbo posted:

They're successful in neither of these endeavors but they sure are making life hard for themselves and others.

china.txt

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:wow:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

LimburgLimbo posted:

I'm in Bangkok DMK immigration and there are so many Chinese tourists and they suck at lining up.

That's my concise China story of the day. It was really really hard to not ramble on pointlessly for pages but I'm not an autist so I somehow managed.

Come drink beer and or whiskey and or tequila with me.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Atlas Hugged posted:

Take him to that amazing restaurant we went to.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Grand Fromage posted:

Take him to that amazing restaurant we went to.

I was there with a former Singapore goon on Wednesday! I even let that goon sleep on my couch. I'm the anti-Haier.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Is it the same one you took me to?

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
I'm on a HK minibus and some dude just dropped some tube on my leg. That's my China story

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
He also said solly solly so I think overall there was no face loss on either side

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nobody sane in HongKong would pull face on poo poo like that. Save that for the government and the police.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Just in case you guys didn't believe me here is a picture of the leg in question

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Lady Galaga posted:

Just in case you guys didn't believe me here is a picture of the leg in question

No jorts or bulging cargo pants, this definitely isn't a goon leg

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Lady Galaga posted:

what kind of tube? did you mean tuba?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
The first time I rode a HK minibus the gal I was with told me that the speedometer thing started flashing when the driver sped so that people could yell at him to slow down.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

webmeister posted:

Is it the same one you took me to?

Yeah, I take every goon there. I think the only goon who hasn't been is the guy who ended up being hounded by a drug dealer in Cambodia. That guy was cool if kind of a train-wreck, but when he got back to the US, he was pulled aside by TSA and detained because of irregularities in his passport and the suitcase full of loose computer parts. They wanted to know "who he had been with" in Thailand and being able to think of no one else of repute, he gave them my name. Here's hoping I don't get black-bagged when I show up with my little brown baby next year!

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Atlas Hugged posted:

Yeah, I take every goon there. I think the only goon who hasn't been is the guy who ended up being hounded by a drug dealer in Cambodia. That guy was cool if kind of a train-wreck, but when he got back to the US, he was pulled aside by TSA and detained because of irregularities in his passport and the suitcase full of loose computer parts. They wanted to know "who he had been with" in Thailand and being able to think of no one else of repute, he gave them my name. Here's hoping I don't get black-bagged when I show up with my little brown baby next year!

Wow, snitching. Totally not cool! Could you elaborate on the drug dealer thing?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

nickmeister posted:

Wow, snitching. Totally not cool! Could you elaborate on the drug dealer thing?

He was doing the digital nomad thing in Bangkok before taking a short vacation to Cambodia. There he did what you do and spent a few days staying with a drug dealer doing drug related activities and attending the guy's wedding.

Afterwards the dealer kept going to the guy's hotel until he finally switched and ditched his burner.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
poo poo I have computer parts I am taking back! Oh wait I have everyone in HongKong to vouch for me, visas and travel documents I can use. I can't smoke these "computer" parts so I am extra safe.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Atlas Hugged posted:

He was doing the digital nomad thing in Bangkok before taking a short vacation to Cambodia. There he did what you do and spent a few days staying with a drug dealer doing drug related activities and attending the guy's wedding.

Afterwards the dealer kept going to the guy's hotel until he finally switched and ditched his burner.

LOL. Did he hide from him? Was the dealer trying to squeeze more money out of him or something?

oohhboy posted:

poo poo I have computer parts I am taking back! Oh wait I have everyone in HongKong to vouch for me, visas and travel documents I can use. I can't smoke these "computer" parts so I am extra safe.

All joking aside, I ultimately decided not to take my gaming PC parts with me on the plane in case someone thought it looked "suspicious."

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

nickmeister posted:

LOL. Did he hide from him? Was the dealer trying to squeeze more money out of him or something?

The dealer was just shaking him down since he knew where to find him. I think he ended up handing over an extra $100 after the initial purchase.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nickmeister posted:

All joking aside, I ultimately decided not to take my gaming PC parts with me on the plane in case someone thought it looked "suspicious."

I am surprised you took the risk of them getting smashed. The amount of packaging to ensure protection can be pretty bulky.

But I am not flying to the USA. Korea doesn't give much of a gently caress and New Zealand is more concerned with fruit and animals than anyone with a bomb unless they are French.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Lady Galaga posted:

He also said solly solly

Hmm, yes, go ahead...

quote:

so I think overall there was no face loss on either side

I'm not so sure about that

Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

oohhboy posted:

unless they are French.

What?
Please elaborate.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lazer Monkey posted:

What?
Please elaborate.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinking_of_the_Rainbow_Warrior

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Hong Kong mini bus story: Me and my ex were taking one home from the Peak. Two drunk guys came on and both started insisting on paying for the other for several minutes until the driver yelled "stop being polite and sit down!"

I don't have good stories but at least they're short.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
In Chinar politeness causes a large loss of face were the two unharmonious drunks suggesting that others cannot afford their fare??? Much to think about *clasps hands behind back, shirt twisted over stomach. Regurgitates phlegm and spits on own pantleg. *

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

All Hong Kong people I talked with liked to bitch about Mainlanders and how garbage they thought they were. Some of them told me that manners in China died with the intellectuals in the Cultural Revolution.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Grevling posted:

All Hong Kong people I talked with liked to bitch about Mainlanders and how garbage they thought they were. Some of them told me that manners in China died with the intellectuals in the Cultural Revolution.

The cultural revolution was just the deathblow, the collectivization and the great famine a couple of years earlier destroyed the social fabric so thoroughly, you wouldn't believe it.

Dikötter wrote a pretty good book about that. Just unbelievable what these people had to suffer.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

JaucheCharly posted:

The cultural revolution was just the deathblow, the collectivization and the great famine a couple of years earlier destroyed the social fabric so thoroughly, you wouldn't believe it.

Dikötter wrote a pretty good book about that. Just unbelievable what these people had to suffer.
This one?

I might buy and read that.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
This one is good too, but the one that I mean is called "Mao's great famine"

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

JaucheCharly posted:

This one is good too, but the one that I mean is called "Mao's great famine"

I read that, thought it was a pretty good read. Some people take issue with his death toll estimate methodology, but it's a pretty minor component of the book, and it's not like killing "only" twenty million would make any difference in how we evaluate the Great Leap.

He has a third one, "Tragedy of Liberation", about the post war purges, but I haven't read it since I don't really need more bad feels at the moment.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Oh yeah, I remember from taking a university course on Stalin's purges how much the estimated number of deaths can vary. The commonly cited number for Stalin was based on faulty data, but it's also the largest so of course it gets cited often. And then there's the question of wether or not you should include the victims of the Holodomor (which imo happened due to ineptness, not as a deliberate scheme to kill off Ukrainians but it was horrible enough anyway).

Sorry to be posting non China related things.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Speaking of the holodomor, there's a movie about it coming out called bitter harvest. May check it out.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

P-Mack posted:

I read that, thought it was a pretty good read. Some people take issue with his death toll estimate methodology, but it's a pretty minor component of the book, and it's not like killing "only" twenty million would make any difference in how we evaluate the Great Leap.

He has a third one, "Tragedy of Liberation", about the post war purges, but I haven't read it since I don't really need more bad feels at the moment.

"The communist party lifted millions over millions of people out of poverty"

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

You're in Bangkok? I would but I'm basically doing nothing but playing rugby and drinking the next couple days and have literally no free time. Expect for maybe Monday but I'll be nursing a hangover and have a flight back to Japan at 24:05 just past midnight Monday night/Tuesday morning after which I need to work, so going to avoid over doing it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Grevling posted:

e victims of the Holodomor (which imo happened due to ineptness, not as a deliberate scheme to kill off Ukrainians but it was horrible enough anyway).

My dude do not say this in front of a Ukrainian less you want to get into a fight.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

LimburgLimbo posted:

You're in Bangkok? I would but I'm basically doing nothing but playing rugby and drinking the next couple days and have literally no free time. Expect for maybe Monday but I'll be nursing a hangover and have a flight back to Japan at 24:05 just past midnight Monday night/Tuesday morning after which I need to work, so going to avoid over doing it.

Life is full of decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

bongwizzard posted:

My dude do not say this in front of a Ukrainian less you want to get into a fight.

The potato famine in Ireland was just some bad trade regulations all within one country, it wasn't like racist or anything, I mean ireland wasn't even a country. Actually did you know ireland is an entirely invented and fake country if you examine history correctly and the very idea of an irish "culture" or "nation" is just an Iberian and later nazi plot to encircle poor great britain? Did you know some of these so called "irish" nationalists worked with nazi? Ireland is a fake country and a nazi country and england is justified to re-take it.

• Locked thread