Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Mymla posted:

I killed the big spider by throwing a bomb at her while she was on the web bridge which caused her to take like 50 fall damage and be knocked prone. Maybe a fire spell is a more economical option for breaking the bridge, but I didn't think to try it at the time.

explosives in this game rule and I wish there were a way to mass produce them more easily (Baneite moment)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

crepeface posted:

edit: damnit, i had already finished the glut/spaw quest. would have been good to use glut's ability to resurrect BOOOAL's body as a final insult.

Sadly he can't spore zombie fey although you probably could get the fish priest

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

wizard2 posted:

explosives in this game rule and I wish there were a way to mass produce them more easily (Baneite moment)

vendors sell everything except barrels and runepowder i think.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Zodium posted:

vendors sell everything except barrels and runepowder i think.

The one nice thing I'll say about that dumb fireworks/blowing up children quest is that you can get a Deus Ex game's worth of barrels of boom from the factory. I think there's like 15 smokepowder barrels in there, if you can keep the Bane cultists from setting any of them off? Tack on the runepowder barrels from Wulbren's hideout and you could probably launch the Will of the Netherbrain or Raphael into orbit in one turn if you wanted to.

And seriously, what is the deal with that quest? I almost feel like I broke something, between the city watch randomly aggroing and enemies locking in place for, like, five minutes, though apparently it's just kind of janky no matter what you do, even after all the patches.

Also i'm still buzzing a bit over making that D99 check last night. I can't believe that worked even with my superpowers of bullshit.

edit: Why does the Netherbrain have 10 DEX anyways. Shouldn't it have 1 or maybe 2, on account of being, well, huge and mostly immobile?

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 19, 2024

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The fireworks quest is just notoriously buggy. It’s been a poo poo show since day one and somehow never got better despite total patch notes longer than War and Peace. I had a run where I had the password but the game wouldn’t let me speak it for some reason so I had to just start murdering to complete the quest

The Fist getting mad at you for trespassing but not for killing like 10 Gortash loyalists is also an lol

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

i have 26 smokepowder bombs in my bag

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!

Docjowles posted:

The Fist getting mad at you for trespassing but not for killing like 10 Gortash loyalists is also an lol

Okay that was pretty ??? too. I made an alliance of convenience with Gortash and figured that he'd probably sic his killbots on me after clearing out the fireworks place. But nope, he doesn't give a poo poo until you go to his secret underwater base/prison thing, or (I assume) blow up his killbot factory.

It sticks out like mad too, because pretty much everything else in the game is decent-to-incredible. Then there's this one quest that's barely tied to the plot (seriously, you'd think Gortash would at least react to you loving up a major part of his plan to create a police state), has one solution, and is buggy after half a dozen major patches. Having finished the game so recently that I haven't actually finished it (it was almost 4 AM when I landed The Final Smite, and the epilogue can wait a day) the Act Three quests do feel a bit more disjointed than the earlier parts of the game, but even then it's noticeably Not Good compared to what's around it.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Raiding the Grove means you kill the guy who can fix Karlach's heart and is therefore a complete non-starter. :colbert:

It won't matter anyway since Karlach will leave if you pick that option, presumably to go back to hell or to find the nearest pier to hang out at.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

cash crab posted:

Throw them! They are so heavy if you dump STR :froggonk:

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Docjowles posted:

The fireworks quest is just notoriously buggy. It’s been a poo poo show since day one and somehow never got better despite total patch notes longer than War and Peace. I had a run where I had the password but the game wouldn’t let me speak it for some reason so I had to just start murdering to complete the quest

I know they wanted me to stealth, but I wound up resolving that one by standing on the stairs and hurling a fire cantrip into the top story of the building.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That’s the ideal way to do that quest.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!

Janissary Hop posted:

It won't matter anyway since Karlach will leave if you pick that option, presumably to go back to hell or to find the nearest pier to hang out at.

Like I said, complete non-starter. :colbert: :colbert:

I honestly didn't have Karlach in my party much, just because she felt like the second or third-best character I had for the job of "beats the crap out of one enemy with physical attacks." That didn't leave much room for her, especially with a sword and shield Paladin Tav that's kind of encroaching on that role as well. When Minthara showed up and immediately stole the No.1 Best Head-Smasher position from Lae'zel, Karlach basically wound up on the bench except for the few story bits related to her. With that said, she's still the most likeable person in your group of misfits, and her monologue if you bring her along to beat up Gortash is genuinely heart-rending. :smith: It might be the best voice work in the entire game, and that's saying a lot. It'd feel genuinely weird not having her along, and gross not having her along because you murdered a bunch of people for no real gain or reason, or cut her head off for a cloak or something.

fwiw even when I set out to play the evil routes in video games, I wind up just playing a hero who's also a jerk sometimes. I couldn't do a Space Hitler run in the Mass Effects, and I'm quite certain I couldn't be a fully-malevolent Tav in a game with considerably better character writing.

EricFate posted:

I know they wanted me to stealth, but I wound up resolving that one by standing on the stairs and hurling a fire cantrip into the top story of the building.

I opted to jump through the hole in the roof and start hitting people approach. Which was a pain in the rear end anyways, because that stupid crane thing means you can't just jump into the top floor, you have to waste spell slots having everyone Misty Step through it one by one. Every single thing about that quest just seems to be willfully annoying. :argh:

edit thing: so how many screenshots did I actually wind up with? let's see...

just a few, though it's probably "just" 2200 from BG3 itself, since there's some snipping tool stuff and other games mixed in.

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 19, 2024

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

fwiw even when I set out to play the evil routes in video games, I wind up just playing a hero who's also a jerk sometimes. I couldn't do a Space Hitler run in the Mass Effects, and I'm quite certain I couldn't be a fully-malevolent Tav in a game with considerably better character writing.
That’s exactly what happens to me every drat time.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
A great way to play a heinous monster in BG3 is if you have the option to go Johnny The Homicidal Maniac on a character early on, ignore it, setting them up for a much worse betrayal later.

I would love to see what Embrace Durge would be like if you play it as Resist goodie goodie up until the conclusion of the fight with Orin, taking that nonsense deranged face/heel turn or whatever. :whitewater:

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

EricFate posted:

I did the same but by flying up to the roof next door. It was very satisfying

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
hopping in with Greater Invisibility, slinging a Fireball and flying off while still in stealth is pretty amusing

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I did the same but by flying up to the roof next door. It was very satisfying

the best way to do it is to jump up on the roof and abuse the z-axis bugs to throw people off through floors. apparently I do not have a screenshot of this however. but you can just pick them up and throw them while they're a floor down, with no apparent line of sight.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Black Noise posted:

Throw them! They are so heavy if you dump STR :froggonk:

do you have anyone in mind? i am in the Big City

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

cash crab posted:

Detonating the House Of Hope is always a delight.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

cash crab posted:

I read this to the tune of “I got the whole world in my hands”

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

cash crab posted:

It’s like 20 damage so it’s not going to change the game or anything but if you have a mage hand summoned for instance it can chuck them on its turn. Or you can leave them on the ground and shoot them with an arrow or fire aoe. I don’t think dropping 10 in a stack does 200 damage for instance you may have to split them up.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

wizard2 posted:

I would love to see what Embrace Durge would be like if you play it as Resist goodie goodie up until the conclusion of the fight with Orin, taking that nonsense deranged face/heel turn or whatever. :whitewater:

this is what i did for my trophy run when i was doing platinum and people get extremely upset with you. i romanced laezel and she was mad as gently caress that i was talking this big game about resisting my urges and then changed my mind at the last second

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

this is what i did for my trophy run when i was doing platinum and people get extremely upset with you. i romanced laezel and she was mad as gently caress that i was talking this big game about resisting my urges and then changed my mind at the last second

hell yeah

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I thought that the Big Red Lady was going to be a bloodthirsty hellion but she turned out to be quite sweet. Too bad Hazel is my designated basher.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

you can use both. bashers are good. my first run was a lore bard with bm lae'zel, th karlach and thief astarion and it was great. we bashed all the bad guys.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

BlazetheInferno posted:

Detonating the House Of Hope is always a delight.

huh, would lining the corridors with smokepowder cause them to all explode when the big balls of fire spawn upon Hope's release?

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Dick Trauma posted:

I thought that the Big Red Lady was going to be a bloodthirsty hellion but she turned out to be quite sweet. Too bad Hazel is my designated basher.

if you respec her into monk she makes Bruce Lee noises

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

crepeface posted:

huh, would lining the corridors with smokepowder cause them to all explode when the big balls of fire spawn upon Hope's release?

I actually misread and thought you said Smokepowder Barrels, not bombs. My thought was fill the entrance/exit room with barrels to utterly demolish the room on command once the fight with Raph starts. Bonus points for using a Globe of Invulnerability to protect the party - just be careful of Yurgir if you don't recruit him, he likes to scatter you all out of it.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Saraiguma posted:

i immediately respecced her afterwards because i found them so horrible

BlazetheInferno posted:

I actually misread and thought you said Smokepowder Barrels, not bombs. My thought was fill the entrance/exit room with barrels to utterly demolish the room on command once the fight with Raph starts. Bonus points for using a Globe of Invulnerability to protect the party - just be careful of Yurgir if you don't recruit him, he likes to scatter you all out of it.

i wasn't the one that said anything, that was a different poster. bombs would probably still work, wouldn't they? throw some oil around and it should be fine?

crepeface fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 20, 2024

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Saraiguma posted:

My favorite is always "Yoink!" when I send her over to the camp traveler's chest.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Karlach rogue made me laugh with "I'M BEING VERY SNEAKY"

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Saraiguma posted:

Others have observed that she has big Miss Piggy energy as a Monk, which I find a point of great appeal

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Zodium posted:

you can use both. bashers are good. my first run was a lore bard with bm lae'zel, th karlach and thief astarion and it was great. we bashed all the bad guys.

Yeah my party for like 90% of honor mode was swords barb Tav, stock fighter Lae’zel, monk Astarion, throwbarb Karlach. The melee heavy comp shreds and mostly restores abilities on short rest so you can keep on chugging. Then I’d strategically swap in Gale or Shart or Wyll if I wanted a specific ability for a specific fight.

MariusLecter posted:

My favorite is always "Yoink!" when I send her over to the camp traveler's chest.

The one that kills me is going into stealth and she stage whispers “SHADOWLACH” :3: She is such a freaking goof ball.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Died to Mind Flayer Magic Missile barrage. Kind of insane how no enemies use that spell until the very last battle. My Tav as 11/1/1 sword bard put in work, but I wasn't loving the damage output. My TB OH Monk was crazy and I wonder if it's viable to have two in the party. I didn't like TB thrower at all, kind of all-in on not much damage, just knocking two enemies prone isn't enough. And a lot of guides recommended a support caster cleric but I spent most of the game wishing Shadowheart was dishing out more damage. The singing/shrieking sword takes up her entire turn and it wasn't THAT good.

If my thrower was a Paladin and Shadowheart was someone who could do more than one thing a turn that last fight might have gone differently.

Edit: I feel like I'm going insane when I read that throwbarb is good in HM. It's a lot of actions yeah, but nothing was dying, and the constant "path is interrupted" messages were annoying.

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 20, 2024

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

LifeLynx posted:

Died to Mind Flayer Magic Missile barrage. Kind of insane how no enemies use that spell until the very last battle. My Tav as 11/1/1 sword bard put in work, but I wasn't loving the damage output. My TB OH Monk was crazy and I wonder if it's viable to have two in the party. I didn't like TB thrower at all, kind of all-in on not much damage, just knocking two enemies prone isn't enough. And a lot of guides recommended a support caster cleric but I spent most of the game wishing Shadowheart was dishing out more damage. The singing/shrieking sword takes up her entire turn and it wasn't THAT good.

If my thrower was a Paladin and Shadowheart was someone who could do more than one thing a turn that last fight might have gone differently.

Edit: I feel like I'm going insane when I read that throwbarb is good in HM. It's a lot of actions yeah, but nothing was dying, and the constant "path is interrupted" messages were annoying.

Sounds like this was honor mode? loving brutal if so, sorry :rip::respek::rip: I was terrified of the final encounter and chose the cheese ending to lock in the gold dice. Mad respect to everyone who takes the challenge head on their first time.

I stand by throwbarb as a great build though. Once you get extra attack and action surge and the thief bonus action you can do an absurd number of throws in one round. Maybe it's not S tier but it's at the top of A tier? My only gripe is the path interrupted poo poo that makes me want to throw my computer out the loving window sometimes.

Also yeah Phalar Aluve is broken as hell on lower difficulties because it benefits from that design feature/bug where every new source of damage gets all your buffs applied again. Shriek is a new damage source, apply every buff again. They changed that on honor mode so it is a fine item but not game breaking.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

"hey uh cazador... you uh okay there?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Janissary Hop posted:

"hey uh cazador... you uh okay there?

all the post victory beat downs in this game own. that poo poo was cathartic.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Also, from last time, why didn't anyone Raphael has a Disney villain song? :argh: I'd have gone there first thing if I'd known!
Because if you go in not knowing it, it's without a doubt one of the greatest delights anyone in games can ever ever have, and I'd hate it to be spoiled.

If you don't know what this is and you're still playing, DO NOT CLICK THE FUCKIN' SPOILER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

EricFate posted:

Yeah, this is how I did it. Someone actually survived, then immediately turned around and confronted me on the stairs, but I convinced him that I was only there to see what the commotion (that I created) was all about. He then walked over to a barrel that somehow survived, then I hurled another firebolt and blew him up :v:

Also, man I'm having great fun with these boss fights. In act two I made all five (I think? Including Kethric prior to Myrkul showing up) kill themselves. All the weird undead family members, plus that demon guy in Shar's temple. Now in act three, I triggered the Orin fight (while Gale was hiding up in the grandstands) and then used Gale's telekinesis spell to hurl Orin's Bhaal form off into a chasm on turn one. Also pushed a few other over the edge later on, too. I'm surprised none of the spectators cared too much about Gale effectively using them as human shields for that fight! I also took out Ethel's mushrooms and then when she appeared, I made her puke a kid and shoved her down a chasm. Now all I need to do is figure out how I'll take out Gortash in a humorous way. :D