Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

antiga posted:

Sell, but don't take it to the mall. Find a reputable online dealer or jewelry shop. Small amount of research will go a long way.

I was just going to do ebay, is that really necessary? It's a 1901 Liberty half-eagle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Hadlock posted:

I had to sign up for myfico.com for an apartment rental (long story) and it's showing my scores as 750/738/734 from the three credit bureaus, which looks good on paper, but I've only had a secured card since March 2015 and an unsecured card since Nov 2015. The secured card just shows up as a line of credit on my report, right? There's no penalty assigned? I applied for some higher end cards in November knowing I would be moving cross-country and also buying a lot of airline tickets (just finished moving) between TX and CA to try and get some miles racked up, but despite paying off the card in full every month, I only qualified for a dumpy unsecured card with just $500 limit and an annual fee.

Will my ability to qualify for 'real' credit cards with actual rewards begin to improve after I hit that magic one year credit history number? Or do I need to wait 18-24 months before I begin qualifying for real credit cards? Despite six figure income and a high credit score nobody wants to touch me even though all the credit calculators say I smell like roses.

Right now your problem is one of having very young credit. It sounds like the old bad stuff you mentioned this spring has aged off. Try seeing if you are eligible for any credit unions or if there are any neighborhood banks who will recognize that someone who has a great job and almost no debt is a good credit risk as that fact has managed to escape the big banks/credit card issuers

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Fuschia tude posted:

I was just going to do ebay, is that really necessary? It's a 1901 Liberty half-eagle.

Never done it myself but I'm sure that's fine. You'll probably eat ten or so percent in fees though.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
There is/was a thread kicking around here or Ask/Tell about collecting, buying, selling, etc coins. Might want to go there, if it's still active.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Moneyball posted:

There is/was a thread kicking around here or Ask/Tell about collecting, buying, selling, etc coins. Might want to go there, if it's still active.

This one, right? Thanks, I'll post pictures there tomorrow.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I just moived to Canada. what would happen if I run out on my GE credit card from australia? Will they just bug the hell out of my family until I cough up?

SnarkyHipster
Feb 14, 2014
I have a bit of a strange situation that will take me a bit to explain.

Back in September I went on vacation in a foriegn country where I rented a car. The rental company I booked with is one that I use almost weekly for work back in the U.S. When I booked directly with the company, I specified that I wanted my personal credit card to be used (which I promptly read out to the concierge lady). I then arrived, used the car, and returned it without thinking there was an issue (the receipt didn't have the card specified). I returned to the U.S. to discover that the car company actually charged my corporate card (AMEX). The charge showed up in EUROS and my company's strange expense software makes it impossible for me to just pay it off personally in this currency. I immediately called the U.S. number for the company (the same number that I booked the original rental with) to have the charges put on the original personal card I had specificed. I called about 7 times, talked to multiple managers and was told either A) It was impossible to reverse the charge (bullshit) B) I had to contact the branch directly (but they had no contact info) or C) the international department would email me and help me out (they never emailed me). Finally, I went through a maze of various numbers and got the billing department directly where I talked to a lady who said she had to do some research and would call me back (she never did).

Pissed off at seeing this personal charge on my corporate expense account, I called up AMEX and explained the situation, telling them that the car company told me it'd be impossible to reverse the charge. The lady at AMEX pretty much laughed and told me they'd be happy to reverse the charge themselves and I could then pay the car company with my own card. Thinking that this might actually get the car company to respond, I told them to do this. Unfortunately, the car company still refuses to let me pay them and isn't giving me any kind of response.

About the same time this occured I got an email from the foriegn country's branch stating that I owed them about $200 for some repairs (my friend hosed up, legimate charges) for my rental. I talked over the phone with a lady and was eventually able to pay for these repairs. I also brought up that I still couldn't pay off the initial $180 for renting the car. She said she couldn't help me, but that she'd forward me via email directly to the branch. The branch responded after she directly reached out to them and CC'ed me on an email. They basically said "what can we do for you." I responded a day later explaining my situation and they've given me nothing since...it's been 2 weeks.

My concern is that if I let this go in 6-12 months it's going to show up on my credit report and be an absolute nightmare to deal with. I'm not disputing anything here, I just want to pay the drat car company the $180 I owe it. What are my options here? If this was a substantial amount of money I might talk to a lawyer, but it's such a small amount it wouldn't be worth it. Does anyone have any advice on how on earth I can get this drat rental car company to pay me?

In Summation: How do I pay a company that's refusing to let me pay them and prevent potential damage to my credit score?

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

SnarkyHipster posted:

In Summation: How do I pay a company that's refusing to let me pay them and prevent potential damage to my credit score?

I would not care about this and would never pay them for the car at this point.

Molotov Cock Tale
Jun 30, 2010

Droo posted:

I would not care about this and would never pay them for the car at this point.

To add to this, in the UK at least you can sue companies for damaging your credit score if it's not justified. If you have a paper trail of offering to pay and having it refused I'd honestly be tempted if it were me to let them, then sue them. A risky play, so maybe run it past a lawyer in your country. If I remember the UK guy got 5k for damage to his credit rating.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
Does anyone have good advice for haggling with doctors/clinics/etc over medical bills that aren't covered by insurance?

I'm still fighting with Quest Diagnostics and my insurance company about an uncovered lab (requested by my endocrinologist). It's looking like this lab just won't be covered. I'm told the next step is to call Quest's billing department and try to get the lab lowered. What does everyone recommend?

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
Your first step is to look at your insurance documentation and make sure it's actually not covered, as opposed to them telling you it isn't

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I didn't see a thread about credit unions, but I am very very ready to tell JPMorgan to gently caress off and join a credit union, whether it's in Los Angeles or a really good federal union.

Any really good recommendations for me? I don't belong to a particular group, I just want to not use big commercial banks to keep my money in anymore.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I didn't see a thread about credit unions, but I am very very ready to tell JPMorgan to gently caress off and join a credit union, whether it's in Los Angeles or a really good federal union.

Any really good recommendations for me? I don't belong to a particular group, I just want to not use big commercial banks to keep my money in anymore.

Do you care about branches? Alliant credit union is the credit union equivalent of an online bank. Refunds up to $20 a month in atm fees, includes free paper checks, .6% interest on checking and 1% interest on savings. To be eligible to join you can make a $10 charitable donation for Foster Care to Success.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

THF13 posted:

Do you care about branches? Alliant credit union is the credit union equivalent of an online bank. Refunds up to $20 a month in atm fees, includes free paper checks, .6% interest on checking and 1% interest on savings. To be eligible to join you can make a $10 charitable donation for Foster Care to Success.

This is the fourth recommendation in two days for Alliant. I don't care about branches as long as there are a good amount of ATMs

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice

Series DD Funding posted:

Your first step is to look at your insurance documentation and make sure it's actually not covered, as opposed to them telling you it isn't

Honestly, I checked and it isn't. :(

I have hypothyroidism, which caused high prolactin levels. My endocrinologist asked Quest to test a bunch of hormones and also requested a drug panel. Afterwards, he said he requested the drug panel because people who abuse painkillers can have high prolactin. I suspect he was also concerned because I mentioned to him that I do pot edibles but nothing else due to the possibility interactions with my anxiety medicine. I'm always honest with doctors about my diet, drug use, etc, because I want it to be super clear that I'm not hiding anything about my habits--this way we can just speak candidly. This makes me regret mentioning pot to him, though...

Anyway, I checked the policy, and the drug panel is only covered by my insurance if your doctor makes a statement where they believe that you are an addict, and there's a list of specific conditions for them to state that (as an example of the severity for this, one condition was if you had show up high to an appointment). I honestly don't understand why he drug tested me for pain meds if he isn't willing to tell the insurance company that he believed I could be an addict (and that probably isn't something I want him to say anyway).

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
I've been thinking about moving my savings account out of my Chase account to get a higher interest rate. I read about Synchrony Bank which has an APY of 1.05%, which ends up being the same as CIT listed in the OP. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with Synchrony or CIT? They seem okay but there's some reviews on the internet that give them a very low rating. I'm just not sure if I can trust anything I read from a quick google search.

Also, the OP seems to list higher interest rates for Money Market Accounts. Are there any risks involved vs a high yield savings account? I've read a few wikis that don't really say much, but if I could use a money market account as my main savings account that would be swell, right?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cory Parsnipson posted:

I've been thinking about moving my savings account out of my Chase account to get a higher interest rate. I read about Synchrony Bank which has an APY of 1.05%, which ends up being the same as CIT listed in the OP. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with Synchrony or CIT? They seem okay but there's some reviews on the internet that give them a very low rating. I'm just not sure if I can trust anything I read from a quick google search.

Also, the OP seems to list higher interest rates for Money Market Accounts. Are there any risks involved vs a high yield savings account? I've read a few wikis that don't really say much, but if I could use a money market account as my main savings account that would be swell, right?

Use Ally for savings

Money Market Accounts can lose nearly their entire value overnight - avoid

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Pretty sure MMAs are FDIC insured so I'm not sure what the problem with them is. But, the limits to them are pretty severe (it won't replace your checking account, for sure) so make sure you understand the restrictions to a MMA before opening one.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress are you people talking about. Money market accounts are usually FDIC insured. They have more restrictions than a checking account but by no means are they usually onerous. Money market mutual funds are not insured and could possibly lose money, but it's not very likely.

More generally speaking, it's probably not worth chasing a fraction of a percent return with your savings account. How much money are we talking about here?

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Uh, right now it's about 20k. I plan on dumping all my paychecks into using direct deposit and then withdrawing once or twice a month to pay rent and bills and food and stuff. Right now it's sitting in a Chase Savings account accruing 0.01% interest and I figured, since I have this money sitting here for an emergency fund and stuff, I could put it in a different savings account that gets 1.05% APY. It shouldn't move much, it's my "money in the bank". Is this reasonable?

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
"Shouldn't move much" and "paychecks rent bills food" are kind of polar opposites so I'm not sure what you mean there. What I do is run all that stuff through a checking account where I keep a $2000 minimum balance for a little buffer space. I keep emergency savings in a separate savings account.

But, that's hardly written in stone. For example Ally's money market account is at 0.85% and would work fine for what you're describing if you kept it down to 6 checks per month.

For a hundred bucks a year in interest earnings I wouldn't spend too much time overthinking it :)

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I signed up with Santander for their $150 bonus, and they just charged me for checks that I don't recall ordering. Only $17.25, but I can't recall the last time I wrote a check.
I guess it must be automatic, but another bank didn't do that to me.

What are the chances they will waive that? And what can I do with a check that I can't do with bill pay? Rent and utilities? Bill pay is available for that.

I might just wait until I get the bonus and close the account.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

slap me silly posted:

"Shouldn't move much" and "paychecks rent bills food" are kind of polar opposites so I'm not sure what you mean there. What I do is run all that stuff through a checking account where I keep a $2000 minimum balance for a little buffer space. I keep emergency savings in a separate savings account.

But, that's hardly written in stone. For example Ally's money market account is at 0.85% and would work fine for what you're describing if you kept it down to 6 checks per month.

For a hundred bucks a year in interest earnings I wouldn't spend too much time overthinking it :)

Good point. Thanks. :)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Moneyball posted:

I signed up with Santander for their $150 bonus, and they just charged me for checks that I don't recall ordering. Only $17.25, but I can't recall the last time I wrote a check.
I guess it must be automatic, but another bank didn't do that to me.

What are the chances they will waive that? And what can I do with a check that I can't do with bill pay? Rent and utilities? Bill pay is available for that.

I might just wait until I get the bonus and close the account.

Santander, last I checked, doesn't have a great reputation. I would look up reviews and probably look at either online banking or a credit union. Can't go wrong with a credit union.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

Santander, last I checked, doesn't have a great reputation. I would look up reviews and probably look at either online banking or a credit union. Can't go wrong with a credit union.

Credit unions are a great deal. You shouldn't worry about limited locations either. Most credit unions participate in shared branching. That means that you could join the smallest place imaginable and enjoy the great personalized service that would come with and still be able to conduct transactions in any number of thousands of other credit unions that are located in just about every city and town in all 50 states and some foreign countries. There are also expansive ATM networks that mean you won't be paying ATM withdrawal fees either.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

I did have an account with Metro credit union, and ironically it was the fees that drove me away. Though in this case, it was a few low balance fees, account went negative, and I refused to pay them.

I know credit unions are better, but I don't use banks enough for it to really matter. Mostly just for depositing my paychecks and making payments on my credit cards. On the rare occasion I need to make an ATM transaction, I can find one.

I just wanted to get the one fee waived if possible.

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 28, 2015

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Moneyball posted:

I just wanted to get the one fee waived if possible.

Can't hurt to ask. If you don't ask they aren't going to do it

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
What's the catch with services like ClearScore?

Experian provide their copy of your credit score & report through their £15/mth subscription (or by subscribing & cancelling once a year) - how are third parties able to offer this for free, and what kind of risk is there in obtaining your report & score through a third party?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Unless my credit card has a flat rate on cash out, I shouldn't use cash out to pay my rent, right? I recently moved to San Francisco and now pay more than what most families would pay for two mortgages. I'd love to launder that through my credit card for airline miles (or whatever) and then immediately pay off my bill, or advantage that cashflow somehow. Right now it's just going out my bank and in to the rental office.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

Unless my credit card has a flat rate on cash out, I shouldn't use cash out to pay my rent, right? I recently moved to San Francisco and now pay more than what most families would pay for two mortgages. I'd love to launder that through my credit card for airline miles (or whatever) and then immediately pay off my bill, or advantage that cashflow somehow. Right now it's just going out my bank and in to the rental office.

Every place I ever have paid rent to has charged a fee for credit cards, so it would most likely be a wash.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

spincube posted:

What's the catch with services like ClearScore?

Experian provide their copy of your credit score & report through their £15/mth subscription (or by subscribing & cancelling once a year) - how are third parties able to offer this for free, and what kind of risk is there in obtaining your report & score through a third party?

Your credit report is free, never pay for your credit report.

Your credit score is a proprietary algorithm that most of the credit companies charge a fee to access.

What companies like Clearscore, CreditKarma and other do is pay the credit agencies a small fee on your behalf to (certainly not $15/month) to access your score. They in turn will market to you various credit card and loan offers to try and generate revenue. Many of these offers will pay $30+ per loan or credit application so it can be very lucrative.

Credit Karma is a popular one in the thread. There's not much risk going through a 3rd party, you can't change a credit score through one of these sites and all the sensitive financial info is entered in once when you create the account and I assume is not stored once your identity has been verified.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Alliant CU and Barclaycard (Sallie Mae in my case) offer free fico scores monthly. I'm sure there are lots of other options too if you're concerned with monitoring it.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

FCKGW posted:

What companies like Clearscore, CreditKarma and other do is pay the credit agencies a small fee on your behalf to (certainly not $15/month) to access your score. They in turn will market to you various credit card and loan offers to try and generate revenue. Many of these offers will pay $30+ per loan or credit application so it can be very lucrative.

I assumed it was something like this: maybe I'm paranoid, but I'm wondering more if, should something happen to these companies, it'd have an adverse affect on my score. Like how, if it's obvious you were slack with your banking details, your bank isn't responsible for un-loving you.

antiga posted:

Alliant CU and Barclaycard (Sallie Mae in my case) offer free fico scores monthly. I'm sure there are lots of other options too if you're concerned with monitoring it.

I'm English, so my choices are Experian, Equifax and Callcredit. :)

The latter two have 'free' report and score services each - ClearScore and Noddle - and of course there's the statutory £2 credit report copy available per agency. I don't think there's any local bank that offers a free credit checking facility, unfortunately.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Hadlock posted:

Where I rent from now, there's a flat fee to pay with a credit card, $35 I think. Not worth it for my rent, but if yours is high enough it might even out, even if you have to pay a fee.

If you're talking about taking a cash advance, I don't think those generally get you rewards points. But check your card! Just make sure whatever it costs you, either from your credit card or your landlord, is less than you make in rewards.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
Don't ever, ever ever ever use a credit card to get a cash advance.

It will ignore any 0% interest deals, won't earn rewards, starts accruing interest immediately regardless of if you pay your balance in full every month, will have a higher interest rate than your card normally has and will probably add a fee for good measure. Don't check the specific terms of your credit card about cash advances, any deal or offer they have that looks promising is a literal trap. Just never do it.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Can you use PayPal to pay yourself with a credit card?
Asking for a friend (actually just curious)

Edit: read the wiki about credit card kiting. Likely possible to do with PayPal but against the ToS

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 30, 2015

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Massasoit posted:

Can you use PayPal to pay yourself with a credit card?
Asking for a friend (actually just curious)

Edit: read the wiki about credit card kiting. Likely possible to do with PayPal but against the ToS

Also costs you around 3% in fees.

I have a steady cash flow from two jobs and I was looking at ways to exploit the month float on credit cards to pay down interest accruing debt earlier, but it's quite tough to get cash out of cards for free. Not looking to deliberately do anything illegal, just seeing if the option was out there.

In an ideal situation, I would charge $1,000 on a card for something I could turn in to cash, and immediately pay off some of my car/student loan, then as I earn money during the month, pay the credit card bill, and repeat. I saw something about the Target/Walmart Red and Bluebird cards being abused by rewards churners.

I understand there are several legal and ethical reasons why it's not allowed, but I'd just like to do it :colbert:

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I think most of the good ways you could pay rent with a credit card have been shut down.

Here's one new option I saw on millionmilesecrets, but the yearly reward for using the service, signing up for a paypal debit card, and buying PayPal Cash repeatedly at a local CVS or RiteAid is like a free domestic flight or a free night or two at a Hilton. Not a great deal for the amount of work required.

http://millionmilesecrets.com/2015/12/29/earn-miles-points-cash-back-paying-rent/

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

THF13 posted:

Don't ever, ever ever ever use a credit card to get a cash advance.

It will ignore any 0% interest deals, won't earn rewards, starts accruing interest immediately regardless of if you pay your balance in full every month, will have a higher interest rate than your card normally has and will probably add a fee for good measure. Don't check the specific terms of your credit card about cash advances, any deal or offer they have that looks promising is a literal trap. Just never do it.

Learned this the hard way wiring money online. Jesus Christ it's such a rip off, thank goodness it was just $200 and I caught it early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

spincube posted:

I assumed it was something like this: maybe I'm paranoid, but I'm wondering more if, should something happen to these companies, it'd have an adverse affect on my score. Like how, if it's obvious you were slack with your banking details, your bank isn't responsible for un-loving you.

You can't change your score from a website so no, if the companies in question where hacked or whatever they could simply view your score and accounts and that's it.

You credit score is a big algorithm of mystery factors that boils down a lifetime of credit history to a single number. The way to make that number rise or fall is to take on debt and pay off that debt. Nothing outside of that, from signing up for a website or viewing an online credit report, will change that.