Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

BlindSite posted:

You'd be amazed at how few people throw body shots when they've never worn gloves before.

It's funny how just wearing gloves changes peoples approach to striking we occasionally do a drill that involves one guy holding pads and the other guy firing shots at them, no instruction at all they guy hitting has to go on instinct, we did it a few times without gloves and a few times with and it's amazing how peoples style changes just by that addition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
You guys have me flashing back to the first good right straight I ever threw. I felt like I had the power of thunder god Thor in my fist when it connected.

Of course my technique turned immediately to poo poo trying to do it again, oh well

The Darlok
May 25, 2006

I am watching you.
I haven't posted much in here but I keep up with the thread. Just wanted to chime in saying I just got my BJJ blue belt tonight after probably about 2 years on the mats.
I guess you'd call it a competition promotion, as I finally did well in a tournament(my fourth so far). This weekend I got 1st in my gi(3 wins) division and 2nd in my no-gi(1 win 1 loss) division at NAGA PA.

Feels good man.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I'm mentally whipping you with a belt

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

mewse posted:

I'm mentally whipping you with a belt

Come back, you have to go through twice

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Trip report: subbed for another basic course class with 1h notice, this time for boxers. No confusion about the right stance (sorry Xguard86 :D ), no worries about throwing punches which actually make contact... that is so fun, at least for me.

But what I actually wanted to post was this: the guys who heavy squat etc. and still kick a ton (we all know grapplers are so stiff they can just deadlift all morning and roll all evening eight days a week and not notice), how much time do you spend with stretching your legs and hips, and particularly, when?

Ligur fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 2, 2013

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Ligur posted:

Trip report: subbed for another basic course class with 1h notice, this time for boxers. No confusion about the right stance (sorry Xguard86 :D ), no worries about throwing punches which actually make contact... that is so fun, at least for me.

But what I actually wanted to post was this: the guys who heavy squat etc. and still kick a ton (we all know grapplers are so stiff they can just deadlift all morning and roll all evening eight days a week and not notice), how much time do you spend with stretching your legs and hips, and particularly, when?

I stretch right after I warm up in the morning. After we jog, do shrimps etc, I stretch a little. I also stretch after I get done lifting. I've read that it reduces strength gains, but I don't feel right. I never/rarely stretch while I'm cold. I have tried yoga, and I really don't actually like it.

Basically, I rotate my hips a lot, circles etc, then run/jog/shrimp/gramby/etc then stretch for maybe 5-10 minutes, not really very long. This keeps me flexible enough to kick all day every day and play a lot of jiujitsu guard. My squat is like 195 for reps though @ 160 lbs walking around

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Syphilis Fish posted:

OK! Coaching question.

I have a BJJ student, but I think this'll go for any martial art, who I can see does really well technically, he's got good setups, he's got good movement, he sees things.. but in tournaments he always ends up losing. He cannot seem to pull the trigger/finish, even when he's dominating a dude the entire round.

It's so frustrating, because I can tell he's really good -I think skill wise, he moves better than the guy who does win all his tournament matches.(the firs also gets bad matchups, it's always that 17 year old kid thats about to be a bluebelt that tournament (it's literally happened 4 times now that a guy who beat my guy got his blue belt right then).

It's super frustrating for me, I feel terrible because I want my man to win.

How can I help him pull the trigger? Does anyone have any suggestions (I might just be looking at it from the wrong direction, so id like some fresh ideas)

Like others have said it's in his head. Really solving it comes down to sports psychology and working with him on visualizing the finish and his self-talk as he is working through positions.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Gonna compete for the first time in ~6 months

Prob not gonna make weight

Good times incoming.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

ch3cooh posted:

Like others have said it's in his head. Really solving it comes down to sports psychology and working with him on visualizing the finish and his self-talk as he is working through positions.

Thanks to you, and the others who reacted too. I think at this point we need to build his confidence up. The scenario in question was a submission-only tournament (which I really think is the only type that count).

Going forward on basic game; making him impose his game instead of playing the others. I've got video of some of the matches past week, so we can analyze it. (Those Ipad's are freaking amazing for taking video & watching it right there on a fairly big screen)

We're also going to work on more working out (a kettlebell program) to help him be strong and motivated to push through even when it gets tough; (the 300 kettlebell challenge is pretty intense) so he can push through mentally.

I've got a lot of things to think about from you guys, thanks.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
It's good that you're working specifically with his mental game in mind. Confidence is so god drat important. I'm sure most people have nerves before a competition, but if you throw self-doubt and a history of failure into the equation, you're probably gonna have a bad time.

That old adage about losing the battle before it even starts is something I can definitely believe, and something I've personally struggled with ever since I started doing martial arts. If you don't believe that you can trounce your opponent, chances are very good that you will be unable to.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 6, 2013

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I think there are more facets to the mental game of grappling than simply self-confidence. I'm too passive and reactive with my BJJ, but it's not through lack of confidence, it's because I thought that was the ideal way to learn. More recently I read a line in a Dave Camarillo book which basically said you should always be the aggressor/initiator of everything that happens because it means you're limiting the possible outcomes, and it blew my mind a bit.

Things will still go against your plans, but you can limit the options of your opponent, and force them into a set number of responses, and then you can have answers to those responses, and you can be constantly pushing them back into an area where you have a plan to deal with it. In retrospect I think it's important to have both an aggressive A-game and a passive flow game and to alternate between them depending on the relative skill of your training partners.

This is a mental thing that's holding me back at the moment until I've drilled my old habits out of my system.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I think there are more facets to the mental game of grappling than simply self-confidence. I'm too passive and reactive with my BJJ, but it's not through lack of confidence, it's because I thought that was the ideal way to learn. More recently I read a line in a Dave Camarillo book which basically said you should always be the aggressor/initiator of everything that happens because it means you're limiting the possible outcomes, and it blew my mind a bit.

Things will still go against your plans, but you can limit the options of your opponent, and force them into a set number of responses, and then you can have answers to those responses, and you can be constantly pushing them back into an area where you have a plan to deal with it. In retrospect I think it's important to have both an aggressive A-game and a passive flow game and to alternate between them depending on the relative skill of your training partners.

This is a mental thing that's holding me back at the moment until I've drilled my old habits out of my system.

I agree with your post completely.

You have to take the initiative so you get to decide where to play. (where you are strongest). Against the brownbelt guys in my gym tha I always my weakness; I let them decide where to fight (they're also lightning fast so they dont give me much time to think), so I always end up in their favorite game. And once you're defending, it can be hard to turn the tide.

Always be the initiator, for sure.

So with that in mind, we're going to work on a more specific gameplan for my boy when it comes to tournaments. (and probably for myself too, I learn a lot from teaching my students)

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Ugh.

Just did pretty well at a karate tournament, but I'm getting real tired of points based, judged matches. I know even the UFC can't run to knock outs all the time, but eesh I hate playing to one judge or another's particular idea of what does and doesn't count as a point. Oh well, got a bloody nose and a foot shaped bruise on the side of my neck for the day, so that's nice.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
You should humor yourself and take a test class at a muay thai gym sometime and see how good you feel. Your skills will translate pretty well and it's a little more vigorous, which seems like what you're into right now. Couldn't hurt more than a foot shaped neck bruise.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

the JJ posted:

Ugh.

Just did pretty well at a karate tournament, but I'm getting real tired of points based, judged matches. I know even the UFC can't run to knock outs all the time, but eesh I hate playing to one judge or another's particular idea of what does and doesn't count as a point. Oh well, got a bloody nose and a foot shaped bruise on the side of my neck for the day, so that's nice.

welcome to kickboxing/muay thai.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
My dojo's like half a block away and my sensei is the happiest little Filipino man who let's me train cheap. I was supplementing with some MMA a while ago but don't have time for it. When I next up stakes and move town (when this lease is up) I'm definitely finding some MT or boxing.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

After reading this I actually did a decent not-only-dynamic stretching session after my last set of squats for the first time (usually stretch on different days, more or less). Lo and behold, while my muscles were certainly depleted the next day there was almost no stiffness. Not really looking for big gains anyway, so even if stretching would do someting against that, it isn't an issue, will definitely do again.

furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007
I took a couple of hard hit to my ankle in Monday's judo class (hit by the return on my opponent's Osoto Gari), and my ankle and side of my shin swelled up and my foot is really bruised. I can get around fine, and there is little pain, and by icing it the swelling has gone down about half-way. Is it going to be okay if I do my Judo class tonight, or should I stay home and recover?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

furiouskoala posted:

I took a couple of hard hit to my ankle in Monday's judo class (hit by the return on my opponent's Osoto Gari), and my ankle and side of my shin swelled up and my foot is really bruised. I can get around fine, and there is little pain, and by icing it the swelling has gone down about half-way. Is it going to be okay if I do my Judo class tonight, or should I stay home and recover?

Probably recover, or do what everyone else does and start the cycle of going back in half-healed and re-injuring it. :haw:

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Kekekela posted:

Probably recover, or do what everyone else does and start the cycle of going back in half-healed and re-injuring it. :haw:

This is the best reply anyone could make. Chances are you'll join us and stay injured for way too long, but I do encourage you to not be stupid and take some rest

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
I've been kickboxing lately and my shoes are becoming a problem. They grip the mat way too well, so if I try to twist one foot to get into a different position my heel will pop right out. We were doing a punch/kick circuit thing last night and while moving from one bag to the next one popped right off. It's never been a problem before with running or casual wear.

What are some lightweight martial arty shoes that won't have this problem?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

TopherCStone posted:

I've been kickboxing lately and my shoes are becoming a problem. They grip the mat way too well, so if I try to twist one foot to get into a different position my heel will pop right out. We were doing a punch/kick circuit thing last night and while moving from one bag to the next one popped right off. It's never been a problem before with running or casual wear.

Get some sambofski. Leather soles.

I mean, they're even worn for combat sambo so they're Kickboxing Approved.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 10, 2013

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

TopherCStone posted:

Shoes?

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Yeah, shoes are weird if you kick? But if you do, and can still wear shoes...

TopherCStone posted:

Yo, order some Rivat shoes if you can spend a few bux, I'd go for the "F1" or "Top Gris" models. Great ankle support, you can easily spin with your supporting leg because they are made for that, and in the case you pick up a style with toe kicks the shoes are hardened for that.

I, also, have no idea why they are so loving expensive on the site and everywhere else too right now, my last pair was like $80 which was expensive but I mean god drat the current prices?!

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Ligur posted:

Yeah, shoes are weird if you kick? But if you do, and can still wear shoes...

Yo, order some Rivat shoes if you can spend a few bux, I'd go for the "F1" or "Top Gris" models. Great ankle support, you can easily spin with your supporting leg because they are made for that, and in the case you pick up a style with toe kicks the shoes are hardened for that.

I, also, have no idea why they are so loving expensive on the site and everywhere else too right now, my last pair was like $80 which was expensive but I mean god drat the current prices?!

50bux for sambo shoes:
Red
Blue

e: if anyone buys these you'd be doing me/my club a solid if you wrote "American Sambo Association customer" in the order comments

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 10, 2013

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Mechafunkzilla posted:

50bux for sambo shoes:
Red
Blue

Whoa! Those seem affordable too and look really nice, I would seriously go for those if you're not practicing something like Savate which requires you to hammer down toe kicks all day.

edit: I just met a guy who is using Rivat shoes his brother bought, 12 years ago. Cool huh? Unfortunately, they don't last even close to that long these days, the production was swapped from France to Thailand where I suspect 8 year old girls sew them together at 0,20€ a day even if they still beat the crap out of Adidas and Nike stuff :(

Ligur fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 11, 2013

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Kekekela posted:

Shoulder injury?? BENCH IT OUT

:)

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ligur posted:

After reading this I actually did a decent not-only-dynamic stretching session after my last set of squats for the first time (usually stretch on different days, more or less). Lo and behold, while my muscles were certainly depleted the next day there was almost no stiffness. Not really looking for big gains anyway, so even if stretching would do someting against that, it isn't an issue, will definitely do again.

I try to do really heavy squats once a week when I work my legs. Makes me grapple like a cripple and makes me stiff as a board when I warm up for some bag work, but I find once I get going the soreness is manageable and doesn't affect my ability, just it hurts. I tend to play a fairly kick heavy game so I'm used to it, but I don't think you can ever really avoid soreness if you're doing heavy lifts.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I've done a few kickboxing classes using vibram fivefingers, and I liked that a lot- but I'm already sold on the concept. If you are one of the people (a legitimate opinion!) who thinks toe shoes look retarded, it might not be for you. If the alternative anyway is specialized shoes that are already expensive, I can't see any practical reason why a pair vibrams wouldn't work*. They're also super comfortable.

e: *I don't strike as much as I flail, so take that into consideration.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Oct 11, 2013

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I'd be a little annoyed if I got slapped on bare skin with that strap if it stuck out from underneath the shin guard.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Bohemian Nights posted:

I've done a few kickboxing classes using vibram fivefingers, and I liked that a lot- but I'm already sold on the concept. If you are one of the people (a legitimate opinion!) who thinks toe shoes look retarded, it might not be for you. If the alternative anyway is specialized shoes that are already expensive, I can't see any practical reason why a pair vibrams wouldn't work*. They're also super comfortable.

I would avoid wearing rubber-soled shoes for something like muay thai where you're doing a lot of pivoting. Also those shoes look dumb as hell.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 11, 2013

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Callouses are free and take like 2 weeks.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

Callouses are free and take like 2 weeks.

Ringworm, turf toe, and ripped toenails: also free

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
A guy at my gym trains in those things all day for roadwork and cardio then ditches them for pad work and sparring. Not sure if there's some overthought science behind his methods or if it all even matters but he's a machine. I personally like the toe shoes because of how I run, but I'm certain it's not a big deal.

Don't wear them when you're sparring or hitting the bags, you'll put extra wear and tear on the shoes and the mats.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Ringworm, turf toe, and ripped toenails: also free

getting kicked in the head: Fine

hang nail: unacceptable.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
A guy I box with wears them and loves them. But that's regular boxing, no kicking.

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

What about those Feiyue kung fu-shoes. Are they good for anything?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Prathm posted:

What about those Feiyue kung fu-shoes. Are they good for anything?

Defending China against the Japanese menace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Bohemian Nights posted:

My vibrams are super slippery on anything that is smooth and wet. My mats get kind of slick when they're wet so that would never work for me. Just wanted to post that for anyone that may be considering it.

• Locked thread