Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Top Gym Pumper posted:

Hellbound is really dark too. I never make it more than a few maps in before getting tired of trying to fight monsters I can barely see. Can't remember the last time I had to adjust brightness to play a wad but I guess I should kill flux so that I can and give it another shot.

I'm guessing you've never played Unloved?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm thinking Hellbound is too hard for me on UV - at least, playing Ironman the way I am, most of the ambushes/traps are forcing a restart.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
My new favorite thing is to turn on cheats and see how much blood I can cover the walls with using the rocket launcher:

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
Where do you get the other "hidden" guns from Brutal Doom anyways?

(Rail Gun, Grenade Launcher, BFG10k and lastly, the MP40 -- and no, the soldiers in the Wolfenstein level, to my knowledge, do not drop them)

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

I'm guessing you've never played Unloved?

Is that the one with the doomguy heads on spider legs because if so I mostly just remember those and not so much getting shotgunned in pitch black rooms, though I didn't play very much of it.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Top Gym Pumper posted:

Is that the one with the doomguy heads on spider legs because if so I mostly just remember those and not so much getting shotgunned in pitch black rooms, though I didn't play very much of it.

That's Unhinged.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

TerminusEst13 posted:

That's Unhinged.

Oh. Guess not then.

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013

Brasseye posted:

Brutal Doom is honestly amazing. There arent any modern games with blood or gib effects that can compare to it. It's apparently meant to be harder than standard Doom 2 but I'm finding it easier so far on account of being able to aim properly with my mouse this time. That being said I'm still not a fan of most of the wide open levels in the second half of Doom 2.

The thing about Pain Elementals is true as well, the explosion they create when they die is devastating.

Is there any way to play other custom maps with Brutal Doom?

Honestly I couldn't imagine playing Doom with out having my screen covered in gore and particle effects. Also, love the screaming enemies. Can't wait for the update that adds gore sprites from REAL dead people pictures

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Be aware that you aren't "replaying" poo poo with Brutal Doom, you're doing the same maps with altogether different gameplay.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Malek posted:

Where do you get the other "hidden" guns from Brutal Doom anyways?

(Rail Gun, Grenade Launcher, BFG10k and lastly, the MP40 -- and no, the soldiers in the Wolfenstein level, to my knowledge, do not drop them)

You don't. There were originally plans to somehow incorporate the Skulltag weapons into the game, but that only got as far as allowing Revenants to occasionally drop a grenade launcher. Nazi soldiers drop the MP40 and, in recent versions, it's been a lot of fun to use.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I'm pretty sure Mancubi drop the arm launchers too.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It might be down to personal preference, but I completely agree with the criticisms re: Hellbound, it's an almost unbelievably good-looking set of levels, but almost all of them are about 50% larger than I really like Doom levels to get (especially with no-mid-level-saving), and the monster counts kind of fall (for me) in that uncomfortable medium where it's big enough to be a grind, but not big enough to actually be a slaughter map.

I mean, it's incredibly well-made, but so was Misri Halek.

e) best .wad of the year was Stardate 20x6, with the caveat that I have managed to beat exactly two of the levels on UV. It is not an easy .wad

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Gimnbo posted:

I'm pretty sure Mancubi drop the arm launchers too.

Yeah, if you gib a Mancubus, he'll drop a launcher; Revenants will occasionally drop their shoulder launchers too.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There is a dedicated thread for Brutal Doom

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Fag Boy Jim posted:

There is a dedicated thread for Brutal Doom

Yeah I don't know why they created a splinter thread. Those almost never work. There it is, sitting on page 11.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah I don't know why they created a splinter thread. Those almost never work. There it is, sitting on page 11.

That's where it belongs.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
When does Hellbound stop using brown/grey textures on everything? Other than the jump scares these first five levels are kinda dull to look at and explore.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

An Enormous Boner posted:

That's where it belongs.

I knew Boner would come in to say something like that, although I was anticipating more of a, "Even that's too good for it." Like a, "push it off the cliff" sort of thing.

Hellbound's a pretty nice WAD so far, although I'm curious if the levels eventually get weirder? These first few maps are decent enough, but they feel constrained by their attempt to resemble ordinary places, and they don't flow very well.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Hellbound's a pretty nice WAD so far, although I'm curious if the levels eventually get weirder? These first few maps are decent enough, but they feel constrained by their attempt to resemble ordinary places, and they don't flow very well.

Things start to get a little more hellish as of the third map. You leave the city before long and it's techbases with crazy demon flesh-tunnels after that.

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

Dominic White posted:

The default GZDoom lighting mode is 'dark', I believe. 'Doom' is slightly lighter and 'Standard' is very bright by comparison. You might have to tweak as appropriate. That's one of the problems of having so many engines with slightly different specs.

"Doom" is the one that's closest to the original lighting. That means it's pretty dark, but things close to you are lighter. "Dark" is a fallback that is as dark as "Doom", but doesn't have the areas getting lighter close to you.

"Doom" should be the default if your GPU can handle, sadly this seems to be kinda hosed. It's always defaulted to "Dark" for me. So yeah, change that around if you have trouble seeing.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I knew Boner would come in to say something like that, although I was anticipating more of a, "Even that's too good for it." Like a, "push it off the cliff" sort of thing.

It gets super weird really fast. Someone described it as Hell occasionally pulling at you with a claw, or similar, and it's extremely apt.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

I wrote the Hellbound sidebar. It is 100% how I feel and to be honest it is popular enough that my disagreement won't affect it. It is beautiful for using basically vanilla textures and there are some great sights but the combat bored me to Doom depression and I almost quit playing again entirely. I won't hate you for loving Hellbound, I just never want to see it again.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Oh my God, Ribbiks' maps are beautiful. Tough, but oh so pretty.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah, if you gib a Mancubus, he'll drop a launcher; Revenants will occasionally drop their shoulder launchers too.
Or if you cut the corpses up with a chainsaw. It's kinda tricky to find the exact spot on the corpse to cut though - you may have to approach it from a specific direction.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

kmxexii posted:

I wrote the Hellbound sidebar. It is 100% how I feel and to be honest it is popular enough that my disagreement won't affect it. It is beautiful for using basically vanilla textures and there are some great sights but the combat bored me to Doom depression and I almost quit playing again entirely. I won't hate you for loving Hellbound, I just never want to see it again.

Kind of got to agree. Every single encounter is "oh, hey, I'm out of a tunnel. Where's the Hell Knight? Is he behind me? No? Is he beeehiiind me... now? No? How about... now? No? He's behind me nnnoo- HEY THERE HE IS! AND HE BROUGHT THREE MORE HELL KNIGHTS! YAYYY!"

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

CyRaptor posted:

gently caress it, it's official:

I don't stream on Twitch myself so I don't know how someone can go about doing this, but can you find a way to archive your past recordings? Your stream of Hellbent's not showing up in your past broadcasts and I'd like to not be screwed over by time zones and miss out on some good Doom streaming.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I think Twitch changed it so that automatic archiving is off by default. Because Twitch.

sturgeon general
Jun 27, 2005

Smells like sushi.
You can enable it again by going here and checking "Archive Broadcasts": http://www.twitch.tv/settings/videos

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

fwiw I'm up to map6 in Hellbound and I'm dropping it to hmp from UV because the last fight in map5 drained me COMPLETELY of ammo. I missed some secrets, but I don't like being required to find every secret to survive (or resorting to really annoying infighting/chainsaw/berserk ammo conservation).

The fights were generally very tight up to that point, but that mob was just stupidly overwhelming, and there's very little armor, so staying in the open and eating random shotgun/chaingun hits is unacceptable when revenants and mancubi are around.

The maps also feel a little too big due to the sprawling brawls - I'm not a fan of massive enemy number maps I guess.

Still really dig the design though, there's a Doom 3 callback (!) in a Mancubus encounter that's pretty awesome.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Random odd question of the day - how does split screen co-op work on the XBLA versions of Doom? Do they throw more enemies and ammo at you? If my friend dies do we both fail?

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Narcissus1916 posted:

Random odd question of the day - how does split screen co-op work on the XBLA versions of Doom? Do they throw more enemies and ammo at you? If my friend dies do we both fail?

It hasn't changed from vanilla doom. Kill demons, die and respawn, kill some more. Co-op flagged object placements haven't changed either.
Only difference is now key pickups give the key to everyone.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

An Enormous Boner posted:

Be aware that you aren't "replaying" poo poo with Brutal Doom, you're doing the same maps with altogether different gameplay.

Playing them again, but with different mechanics making it a new experience. A new playthrough. "Replaying" it, if you will.

CyRaptor
Aug 27, 2004

Fuck Sandy Petersen, again.

an_mutt posted:

I don't stream on Twitch myself so I don't know how someone can go about doing this, but can you find a way to archive your past recordings? Your stream of Hellbent's not showing up in your past broadcasts and I'd like to not be screwed over by time zones and miss out on some good Doom streaming.

I hadn't even considered recording the stuff I did last night because it was pretty much just a test, but I'll check off the Archive option just for you. I guess even with that enabled the recordings only stay archived temporarily though? The Saturday stream will definitely end up getting uploaded to YouTube or something so people can watch it forever and ever. I know the time's not gonna be convenient for everyone everywhere.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

How do I use Cosmetic Doom with other WADs? I'm using GZDoom.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

amitlu posted:

How do I use Cosmetic Doom with other WADs? I'm using GZDoom.

Drag and drop it along with whatever else you want to load onto the GZDoom exe or use one of the launchers in the Doom section of the OP.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I got to play another 5 or 6 levels of Hellbound and I can definitely agree with a lot of the comments so far. I'm glad to see the levels evolving into more abstract and hellish setpieces, and I especially like the points where the two themes meet and hell breaks spills into ordinary places. It certainly captures the "Hell on Earth" concept much better than the vanilla Doom II maps that tried to do the same thing.

Sometimes the levels get somewhat lost in the details, resulting in cluttered, claustrophobic fights. Also, a lot of the fights feel like the sole strategy is to throw a mixture of 75% fodder, 25% medium enemies at you, regardless of the level's layout or the strengths/weaknesses of those particular enemy mixtures. Revenants in tight hallways, Arachnatrons in tunnels where they can barely get around, Mancubus that start off surrounded by lots of garbage enemies and immediately kill many of them, etc. Sometimes it feels like the room-to-room difference is simply whether it will be a couple of Arachnatrons surrounded by a bunch of zombies, imps, and demons, or Hell Knights.

The enemies can come in gigantic packs, too, which, when combined with the non-complementary level layouts and seemingly haphazard enemy mixtures, basically leads to the player firing into a chokepoint until he is overcome, falling back to another chokepoint, and repeating until everything is dead. You go through a lot of ammo and frequently have to bounce between weapons to compensate, which is a nice thing that I don't deal with in many WADs. I like to use all parts of the buffalo.

Still, I'm really enjoying the WAD overall.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Is there a comprehensive explanation of how infighting works? I frequently see enemies hit by others' projectiles and sometimes they retaliate, and sometimes they don't. And sometimes I interrupt an infight and they ignore me, and sometimes one of them turns to fight me instead. Or should I just dive into the source to find the exact probabilities.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

horse mans posted:

Is there a comprehensive explanation of how infighting works? I frequently see enemies hit by others' projectiles and sometimes they retaliate, and sometimes they don't. And sometimes I interrupt an infight and they ignore me, and sometimes one of them turns to fight me instead. Or should I just dive into the source to find the exact probabilities.

- All bullet weapons will cause in-fighting, so zombies of all kinds will provoke each other and other monsters.

- Projectiles will not harm monsters of the same type, so Imp-on-Imp violence won't work.

- Special exception for above rule: Barons and Knights of Hell count as the same type, so they won't in-fight.

These are pretty much all I know, though I'm sure there's nothing else to consider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Pretty sure Lost Souls can infight if one kamikazes into another.