Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Amykinz posted:

I used the recipe from The Breadmaker's Apprentice by Peter Reinhart and Ron Manville, which is a really fabulous but slightly more involved challah recipe. You mix it up and knead it, let it rise once and knock it back down, let it rise again, form it, and then proof it and bake it. I did both rises and just patted it into a rectangle, brushed with melted butter and added cinnamon sugar. Baked the next morning and did a light cream cheese icing and they were perfect.

I've done the BBA challah before, just never thought to use it in cinnamon rolls (to be honest, I'm not a huge dessert person). I will make some for new years' and bring them over to my sister - she'll flip, she loves cinnamon rolls!

What do you think of using creme anglaise for the icing? Think it'll be too overpowering with the rolls already being so eggy and sweet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Too soggy. Icing sugar and milk. Or let Grav make it. Mom says he's fast.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

pr0k posted:

Or let Grav make it. Mom says he's fast.

oh gravity, poor poor gravity.

you'll find your endurance one day

if it helps, right before you make your anglaise, just envision guy ferrari's steely dicksucking lips clamping down on your right nutsack, and using his grimy garlicy burgergrease ridden tounge to roll your singular ball around in his sad and decrepit dungeon of a mouth

helps me get an extra 3-5 minutes on pr0k's mom every time.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I got a paella and a sweet book about them, so ready to go home and get started. Also got a nice Czech cookbook from my grandmother so I'll have to see what's new in there for my Slavic taste buds.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Ah jeez, paraquat, condolences.

Everyone else, sounds good! Happy Boxing Day!

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Thanks guys!

and Happy Boxing Day to you all (or as we call it over here: Second Christmas Day)

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
I always figured it was a joke about two imaginary friends going bare knuckled in the streets: Santa and Jesus.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The fat man has more padding, but Jesus definitely has the pain tolerance.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!
My mother in law got my kids so many presents that they got bored with opening them. Now we have so many toys we have nowhere to keep them. o_o

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

paraquat posted:

Thanks guys!

and Happy Boxing Day to you all (or as we call it over here: Second Christmas Day)

..Scandinavia?

I got exactly what I wanted for Christmas, which is a good pair of gloves and otherwise as little as possible.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I've done the BBA challah before, just never thought to use it in cinnamon rolls (to be honest, I'm not a huge dessert person). I will make some for new years' and bring them over to my sister - she'll flip, she loves cinnamon rolls!

What do you think of using creme anglaise for the icing? Think it'll be too overpowering with the rolls already being so eggy and sweet?

I think it would be a bit much, and soggy. I creamed butter and cream cheese together and added powdered sugar, vanilla, lemon juice, and a bit of cream to loosen it up and tossed it on while they were still warm. Once we ate them the top had that slight crust from the icing and that is a big favorite of my husband. You could do a thinner glaze with just milk and powdered sugar, or a tangier icing with more cream cheese+lemon to cut down on the frosting amount, but they'd also probably be great sliced with a dab of butter too.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

mindphlux posted:

oh gravity, poor poor gravity.

you'll find your endurance one day

if it helps, right before you make your anglaise, just envision guy ferrari's steely dicksucking lips clamping down on your right nutsack, and using his grimy garlicy burgergrease ridden tounge to roll your singular ball around in his sad and decrepit dungeon of a mouth

helps me get an extra 3-5 minutes on pr0k's mom every time.

holy poo poo

Also poo poo, paraquat, that's sad to hear :(

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Pic of art on the side of a semi.

NosmoKing fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 30, 2018

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
e;fb

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Maple syrup and powdered sugar make a pretty fantastic cinnamon roll glaze too.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Maple powder :ssh:

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
@paraquat: condolences.

@thread namechange: I love it.

@everyone: happy whatever you've been celebrating (or not). I'm stuck in in-law limbo for another 3 days. But then! Then, it will be champagne and more champagne. And then some champagne.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
May I suggest adding some champagne in there.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I suggest Cognac. Can't go wrong with Cognac.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Sjurygg posted:

..Scandinavia?

I got exactly what I wanted for Christmas, which is a good pair of gloves and otherwise as little as possible.

Holland
(and I tossed the gloves for now, as it's pretty warm for the time of the year over here (around 8 degrees celcius, I think)

PopeCrunch posted:

Also poo poo, paraquat, that's sad to hear :(

yeah, it sucks, but even though it's not a happy Christmas, it sure is a memorable one.

Dane posted:

@paraquat: condolences.

Thank you Dane

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

So glad to be in some part, party to cause a new chat thread topic again. :allears:

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
oh and my insane (in a somewhat positive way) mother-in-law bought me silly expensive cookbooks - they aren't anywhere near well off and even with 5 kids she still decides to buy her sons- and daughters-in-law presents costing more than I feel comfortable spending on my own mother; my sister and brother-in-law gave me a tortilla press (yay!) and some interesting spices and my cousins read my "dried chili and interesting spices to play around with" and decided on a triple-vacuum-packed bag of Bhut Jolokias with a label that reads "We recommend the wearing of gloves and dust mask when handling this product".

It will end in pain. For someone. I may just decide to stuff a sausage with bits of Bhut Jolokia and leave it out for that annoying cat that keeps pissing on and right next to my car.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

1 Bhut Jolakia can make 5-10 gallons of salsa. Hope you have a lot of tomatoes.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Thread title misspelled. :colbert:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

1 Bhut Jolakia can make 5-10 gallons of salsa. Hope you have a lot of tomatoes.

I used 4 in my 1 quart batch of sriracha :supaburn:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

GrAviTy84 posted:

My bhuttes didn't produce any fruit this year. Mumble mumble mumble pr0k's Mom, Merry Kwanzaa everyone.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

SubG posted:

My bhuttes didn't produce any fruit this year. Mumble mumble mumble pr0k's Mom, Merry Kwanzaa everyone.

naga-nna lie, you could touch a better bhut than pr0k's mom. grumblegrumble trinidad scorpion or something I guess

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

GrAviTy84 posted:

I am so sorry for your anus.

Last time I made some ghost pepper sauce, I didn't not have a pleasant day the next day. Or the day after.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Went out for dinner tonight with my parents to a revered Italian joint in a neighboring town. Got the zuppa di pesce at the recommendation of my dad. Was offered white or red, got it white. The "broth" was pretty flavorless. The calamari was cooked into rubber oblivion. The shrimp were good...all four of them in a huge platter. The clams and mussels were okay. The best part of the dish were the scallops which for whatever reason are my least favorite bit of seafood.

Overall my culinary sojourn to CT for the holiday has proven fruitless. The best thing I've eaten here is a chicken parm sandwich from a local (and much-loved by me) 24-hour diner. It's not even that this is a food or restaurant desert or anything, I am just having some bad luck!!

At least my gin and soda was good. Not looking forward to my 12 hour drive Saturday...

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

trip report: pressure caramelized banana filled aebleskiver. gently caress. yeah.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
I saw Guy Fieri on a commercial a few days ago. My first thought was, "That's a really good Guy Fieri impression," but the punchline never came. It took me a minute to realize it was actually him.

I officially can't tell Guy Fieri from Guy Fieri parodies anymore.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Dear E/N,
In Amsterdam. Completely surreal. Got a Filipino to cry in Manila because he asked how it looked like on Leyte. Just told him what it looked like.

It apparently is Christmas.

I will be back in the Philippines in 4 or 5 weeks time, but this time to run my department there.

I visited a colleague in Manila yesterday, he had just gotten a baby. Couldn't shake the mothers hand, contaminated. May have contracted something. Had to leave pretty quick.

Doesn't matter we're just working.

Your pal

Happy

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

contrapants posted:

I saw Guy Fieri on a commercial a few days ago. My first thought was, "That's a really good Guy Fieri impression," but the punchline never came. It took me a minute to realize it was actually him.

I officially can't tell Guy Fieri from Guy Fieri parodies anymore.

I don't think Guy Fieddy can tell himself from a parody, either. It's not just you.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It's also entirely possible you were watching SNL and the punch line never came.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

It's also entirely possible you were watching SNL and the punch line never came.

:rimshot:

content: HH, you are going through an amazing time in your life and doing some great things. The stories you tell are really touching. Would you consider making a thread about your experiences abroad? I'm sure other people would love to hear about them, and having everything consolidated in megathreads makes it a bit impenetrable.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I suggest Cognac. Can't go wrong with Cognac.

Make a French 75 and get the best of both worlds.

paraquat, I'm sorry about your mom. I do hope that next year and the years after you and your family can spend the holiday season reminiscing about all the best times you had with her.

HH, you are rad and a very good person and I hope you have an awesome New Year's.

Real hungover after drinking a poo poo ton of whiskey with my husband, brothers, and mom last night. Things I learned last night: The Grinch Broadway show is really, really funny and the dude who plays the Grinch is the bad guy from LazyTown. Lüke does have a very good burger and also my mom is smart and lets me order her cocktails when we go out. My mom also likes to talk a bunch of poo poo while watching us play darts.

I think I need more coffee.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I bought my girlfriend an Anova sous-vide for Christmas and this morning we had 63.5C eggs and all is right with the world.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I'm staying with friends I love at their beautiful farm and we are making them dinner. I'm drinking a G&T, something I do rarely.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I might get a promotion and/or raise at work.

Gonna get drunk and play Batman bidjeogames tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Spent the last few days feasting and laying in the sun visiting my parents on the gulf. Headed back to a 20 degree New York. gently caress you too, buddy