Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
If Izzy's Hispanic and follows Hispanic naming conventions, her last name would be the maternal one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Dias posted:

If Izzy's Hispanic and follows Hispanic naming conventions, her last name would be the maternal one.

If she's hispanic she's gonna have two surnames, one from each parent, with the father's being the first. Each surname is, in turn, the first surname of the respective parent.
Usually in single-surname countries the second surname gets lost or sometimes both are used with a hyphen.

Nowadays things have changed and people can choose to have their surnames in mother-first order, or inheriting both names from a single parent or have the same surname for both slots depending on various familial circumstances, but assuming she follows the traditional model then she'll have the surname of her paternal grandfather.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 31, 2018

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

We know Ed's parents disappeared mysteriously while investigating the Terrible Event, but we don't really know what's up with Isabel's, right? Basically I'm just wondering why anyone would leave their kid with Francisco for extended periods of time. Isabel doesn't talk in the post-tense about her dad, right? It's 'you hate him', not 'you hated him'?

EDIT: That said if Francisco is her primary guardian (and that seems to be the case) then I'm assuming she's got his last name because he hates her dad and wouldn't tolerate it any other way.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Akett posted:

This made me think and I wonder if Isabel/Flip-Flop's strongest move is flipping to the other side of the earth. The barrier might stop that and even if it didn't the main use of it would be to strand something in the ocean.

[Warning: An excessive amount of :words: to follow, because I've had nothing better to do where I currently am and was waiting for someone who wound up never turning up.]

I suppose it depends on how far the power's "reach" is, though personally I doubt crossing the whole world is an option. As for the barrier stopping it, it depends on how the barrier and FlipFlop's power both work and how they may interact, if they do. Since Izzy's moved past solid objects with the power, the physical (or whatever you would call the "solid" aspect of a magical/spiritual thing that only supernatural entities can interact with) part of the barrier shouldn't be a problem; FlipFlop doesn't move things through other things, they're instantly on the other side.

The question, then, would be if the barrier would block the power from working or moving things past it. This is something I'm I wasn't sure about at first and was leaning towards "probably not"; it blocked Forge's fire, which is not solid but presumably still supernatural, and I assume most other powers wouldn't be able to "reach" past it either. The Ghost Train could move through it, but that's because the Ghost Train warped whatever was in front of it, reshaping the world in front of itself so it always had a clear path and thus ignoring the barrier entirely. Francisco calling it a "loophole" seems pretty accurate, so I don't think we can make judgments from it.

However, we actually know of two powers (at least; I might be forgetting more) that work past/through the barrier without affecting the barrier itself. One is Boss Leader's power; her weird dream world can reach through the barrier, letting people in and outside it interact in the same space and such. It's also entirely dream-based (even if she can apparently affect some things for real through it, like being able to murk the Scrapdragon's wisp while in Max's dream room) though, so it might be another weird exception; something like a collective unconscious or weird dream realm everyone visits while sleeping and Boss Leader acting on that, thus technically not actually going "through" the barrier since it's already all in a "place" outside it, could handwave that. She's also super OP and her power is unlike pretty much any other we've seen, so trying to make judgments based on her is probably unwise.

The other person's power, however, is seeming entirely in the "physical" realm, but can still act across the barrier. That person is the Doorman; he can open up to a door on the other side of the barrier just fine, with the barrier being between him and his target (and in fact completely surrounding him, leaving no routes "around" it) not being an impediment at all. This is proof that at least some powers can work across the barrier, though presumably only ones that act directly on their subject rather than moving to it, for lack of a better way to put it. Doorman directly links point A and point B, ignoring everything between them; nothing goes "through" the barrier, even though it's between him and his target. If some sort of, I don't know, magic line had to trace its way from him to the other door, or something like that, the barrier would probably block that and keep the power from functioning. So, the barrier still blocks almost everything, since we haven't seen many powers that ignore the intervening space and affect their targets directly.

However, FlipFlop's power does work like that. As said above, it doesn't move through things, it just reverses their orientation and/or position relative to something else, seemingly instantaneously given how Isabel's moved past solid objects with it and reversed an umbrella held tightly in her grip, among other things. Based on this, I think that there's a fair chance that FlipFlop can flip past the barrier. As Doorman shows, powers can (probably) act across the barrier so long as they don't affect or move through any of the space between them and their target. FlipFlop's power fits that criterion, being an instant position change. We admittedly don't know his maximum range, Isabel and him both having only affected or flipped past things that they're touching and haven't yet moved past anything thicker than Mr. Spender (insert joke about how thick Spender is here), but from what we've seen the barrier actually looks quite thin. Even if physical contact is a requirement, that can probably be solved by either setting up a physical object so it sits on both sides of the barrier, or just touching the barrier directly, given how little distance is involved. There could be some weird in-setting explanation to justify why the Doorman's power can skip past the barrier but FlipFlop would be unable to, but based on everything we've seen I think there's a strong case that he could do so.

Of course, the meta argument that could easily supersede all of the above and render it irrelevant is that Zack may well not want a main character to be able to bypass the barrier that easily. While Francisco, who likes the barrier and dislikes "loopholes" like the Ghost Train, personally giving his granddaughter a way past it because he underestimated a spirit he believed to be "useless" would be both deliciously ironic and a rather appropriate story beat, I have a feeling that Zack probably doesn't want Isabel to be able to just ignore one of the big, setting-defining things right after it's been set up as a major obstacle for the protagonists (and, well, everyone else as well).

On the other hand, they could do a lot with that if they wanted to; Isabel going beyond the barrier in part just to spite her grandfather and/or facing danger outside it alone, her and FlipFlop being targeted after others learn that she can bypass the barrier, Francisco learning that she can cross it and trying to take FlipFlop back or even destroy him, Isabel inadvertently letting something into or out of the barrier... And that's just off the top of my head. Also, Isabel might not immediately realize that she can cross the barrier, and just because she can cross the barrier doesn't mean that the rest of the club can get past whenever they want, since they still need her around to facilitate things, so it wouldn't completely invalidate it yet. (And, since I've mentioned Doorman so much, I wouldn't be surprised if he occasionally helped Isaac get past the barrier himself, since it was mentioned that Isaac has crossed it for family stuff, though Spender assumed he used the Train; at the very least both he as Max know about the Doorman, so that's already one potential way through. Even if Max hasn't realized that yet, and the Doorman is his own entity who might not always be there or cooperate, etc, and is thus somewhat different from a main character having that ability.)

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 1, 2018

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

flop

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I think teleportation was referenced at some point as a viable way through the barrier. They just didn't have access to that power at that point.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/paranaturalzack/status/1024359574805958657

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Rand Brittain posted:

I think teleportation was referenced at some point as a viable way through the barrier. They just didn't have access to that power at that point.

boy a barrier sure is an axis innit

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Good effortpost Roland, I enjoyed it

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
More meaningful thought: would Flip-flop's current tool status help or hinder barrier crossing efforts?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I wonder if Isabel could flip someone across the barrier with her.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
Yes, but only if they have unlocked the power of the Friendship Fusion

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

RandallODim posted:

boy a barrier sure is an axis innit

That was basically one of my starting thoughts actually, that flipping along the barrier itself, it just like any other obstacle (or, you know, barrier) she's flipped past might be possible, but I wasn't sure if FlipFlop's power would be able to "reach" beyond it or not; at first I was thinking the answer was "no". Took me a while to remember Doorman, but once I did that pretty much reversed my thoughts on the matter. (That's also what led to the post being so long, because it then went from "nah, of course the barrier blocks powers from functioning across it, it's a magic barrier" to "oh, right, it is possible in some cases, and based on what we've seen so far and...")

I also briefly thought that Spender might be able to do the same trick he used to kill Forge to make a hole in the barrier, but thinking about it a bit more I figured he probably can't; I'm not sure if the barrier is actually invisible in-comic and is only depicted occasionally for viewer convenience, if it actually can be seen and emanates its own "light" of sorts, whether constantly or only when disturbed, if it's basically like glass or something as far as light interacting with it goes, or something else, but either of the first two, at least, seem like they should preclude casting a shadow on the barrier itself, thus preventing the shadow's power from making a hole in it. Since we can, well, see things through it, most light passes through it, at least, even if that light comes from/is reflecting off of something supernatural. (Which now that I think about it raises the interesting, but very unlikely to be relevant, possibility that Lucifer could attack right through the barrier without any of the weirdness previously discussed, since his attacks are, well, light, but that's a different subject.)

Just a tangent that I almost included in the last post before deciding that it was long enough without adding things that were irrelevant to the point I was making.

PetraCore posted:

I wonder if Isabel could flip someone across the barrier with her.

I was wondering about that too. We haven't really seen enough to say; she's only used the power on herself and things she's been holding, the latter just reversing orientation rather than moving somewhere else as well, and FlipFlop likewise only used it on things he was wearing, but we don't know if that's a limitation of the power, or just if Isabel just hasn't tried affecting things other than herself in ways beyond flipping around in place yet. No evidence either way as far as I know, either.

ThaumPenguin posted:

Good effortpost Roland, I enjoyed it

Thank you very much. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Aug 1, 2018

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Isabel could absolutely flip someone through the barrier with her as long as she was giving them a piggy back ride.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

https://twitter.com/paranaturalzack/status/1024358738222702593

Flipflop's a geezer

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Aloud?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You know, Zach's been pretty light on the backgrounds for quite a while now, so I'm glad he went to the trouble to draw in Flip flop's spirit world. They managed to make the combination of subway train and school corridor look really natural.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

flipflop is doing better than me

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I'll bet he flipflops houses for a living.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

"You're already dead."

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

No comic tomorrow, but have something Zack made on Twitter, since it doesn't work on their website

https://twitter.com/paranaturalzack/status/1026638411841425408

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Zack really needs to figure out their wrist issues and probably learn how to draw using their arm instead of their wrist (among other solutions, like correcting posture et al) because their issues have gotten steadily worse over the past few years.

They've missed five updates out of a potential 18? since June 1, and that's on top of a two-page-per-week not being exactly a high-production schedule in the first place and their drawing style gradually becoming more and more simplified and frequently forgoing backgrounds. Which is fine, I'm not complaining that I'm not getting enough content or that it isn't good enough or something, I check for an update and then move on with my life. But I'm concerned for their health. I'm not even counting the updates where Zack mentioned they pushed themselves to get the page out or had someone step in to help them finish the page.

I'm Deaf; I've worked my entire life with sign language interpreters, people who articulate their hands for 8+ hours a day. I've seen it happen multiple times, once your wrists start going you either correct your technique immediately or you doom yourself to rely on wrist braces for the rest of your life.

edit: Fixed pronouns

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 7, 2018

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I don’t know this “he”

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I wonder if shattering Max's arm was a cry for help.

Skull.gif send Zack a tweet or something.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Yeah I hope Zack is able to get their wrist looked at and treated by professionals. I don't mind missed updates but I worry things are only going to get worse and that it'd massively impact their life since art is their livlihood.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

doctor my hands are all hosed up

"hmm. have you been doing anything that might have exacerbated this?"

it's best if i show you:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
for the record I'm pretty sure they've mentioned getting to a doctor about their wrist before, so I don't know why everyone is assuming they haven't

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

So if Francisco is all but confirmed dead who legally owns the house Isabel and Ed live in?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Suzy in the background :allears:

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Akett posted:

So if Francisco is all but confirmed dead who legally owns the house Isabel and Ed live in?
Maybe it's just a creepy haunted house on the hill.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
What Zack needs is to get a wrist brace and take a hiatus while they learn to draw with it on and build new muscle memory, so they can draw with their arm instead of just their wrist.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The chalkboard though

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

kidcoelacanth posted:

The chalkboard though

Hahaha I missed that while reading on phone earlier, that's great.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

The chalkboard though

In the morning MOBAs were the fad, then PUBG in the afternoon, and as the school day ends, Fortnite is the most popular game in the world.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

pospysyl posted:

In the morning MOBAs were the fad, then PUBG in the afternoon, and as the school day ends, Fortnite is the most popular game in the world.

It's man, right?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

no no you're thinking of most dangerous

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Since it wasn't posted, a link to the update.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Suzy in panel 2, stuck right back where she left off. :allears:

Edit: You think we're finally in the chapter's denouement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Edit: You think we're finally in the chapter's denouement?

Very much so. The immediate action is all resolved and the characters are mostly just talking out their poo poo with each other. The only thing really left to wrap up is Zarei at the school.