Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Is it just my imagination, or are we moving from 80's Bronze Age comics into the 90's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

that chapter was a masterclass in comic books btw

this guy is the best artist in shonen jump

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I wonder if Twice'a clones function like shadow clones, in that whenever one disappears their experiences return to the original.

In which case I presume the revolt happened when Twice allowed a group of clones to stay separate from him for too long. New clones would understand that they are functionally identical to the original and it doesn't matter if they're the clone because their experience benefits the whole, but a clone that has been separate for months might get an independent streak.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Vengarr posted:

Is it just my imagination, or are we moving from 80's Bronze Age comics into the 90's?

Not enough massive pauldron living on the edge and dont have time for this now get him the plasma cannon will you, all he needs is hate and the plasma cannon.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah when the pouches start spawning everywhere you'll know

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

it's more transitional, what with the allusions to watchmen in the paneling and layout and well basically the whole drat chapter

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

NecroMonster posted:

that chapter was a masterclass in comic books btw

this guy is the best artist in shonen jump

Does One Punch Man no longer run in Jump?

JT Jag posted:

I wonder if Twice'a clones function like shadow clones, in that whenever one disappears their experiences return to the original.

In which case I presume the revolt happened when Twice allowed a group of clones to stay separate from him for too long. New clones would understand that they are functionally identical to the original and it doesn't matter if they're the clone because their experience benefits the whole, but a clone that has been separate for months might get an independent streak.

It could be that, but since he's not even 100% sure he's the original it could also be that a single clone was off on it's own for some reason and then decided to be a clone king.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Gyges posted:

Does One Punch Man no longer run in Jump?

It could be that, but since he's not even 100% sure he's the original it could also be that a single clone was off on it's own for some reason and then decided to be a clone king.
Twice seemed to know when the Dabi clones got taken out.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
One Punch Man is in Young Jump, not Shonen Jump.

The difference is drinkability.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that was a great chapter and absolutely not what I was expecting from it

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
I never expected to get a Watchmen vibe Shonen Jump, but here we are and it is great.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

mha is pretty good you guys

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

MHA is the only decent Shounen left.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Grouchio posted:

MHA is the only decent Shounen left.

One Piece has actually been good again lately.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Having your own self-made clone try to kill you is pretty hosed up. Twice even refers to it as an act of murder-suicide. I guess the clone got fed up with being treated like dirt, which is basically the same as Twice treating himself like dirt. This is such a good chapter.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Really curious about how this chapter will do in the weekly rankings since it's so different from the rest of the series. I loved it, just hope people in Japan did too else we might not get a lot of chapters like this.

Also, I know that people used to speculate on this a lot for no reason but(warning: Tinfoil ahead) Dabi REALLY looks like Todoroki in the middle panel here. Granted, could just be a coincidence and whatnot...but if it turns out to be foreshadowing that he's part of Endeavor's eugenics experiments, that would be pretty rad. Especially if they bring back Inasa so he can do his thing about their "eyes" being like Endeavor's. I don't know, considering how we JUST came off a mini arc that had the way Todoroki and Endeavor looked at someone while being dicks be a major point...and then we have the mysterious guy with the same power as Endeavor drawn the same way...

What I'm saying is, this is the tinfoil hill I'll die on.

Hell, main reason I want Dabi to be one of Endeavor's bastard kids is just that it would be such a fun development. Like people would be like "Wait wait, Endeavor did what?" and possibly tank his career a little. Plus I love the little touch this chapter that apparently Endeavor is most popular with males aged 20-40 haha. I don't know why but that detail stood out to me as "Yup. Sounds about right. I can believe that's how it would go."

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Dabi being Endeavor's son would 100% make sense. He looks the part, he has the right powers and it would explain why Stain motivated him to become a villain. Stain spoke out against those lovely glory seeking quote-unquote heroes, and that's exactly what Endeavor is. Endeavor's kids were basically born due to that horrible glory seeking attitude of his.

Maybe we'll even see an ice themed villain who bears a striking resemblance to Todoroki too.

Edit: Dabi's also just his villain name, his actual given name hasn't been revealed yet and let's face it, it's probably so it can be revealed in a dramatic manner.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Green Intern posted:

Having your own self-made clone try to kill you is pretty hosed up. Twice even refers to it as an act of murder-suicide. I guess the clone got fed up with being treated like dirt, which is basically the same as Twice treating himself like dirt. This is such a good chapter.

I also like that he's not 100% sure he's the original. His clones dissolve after taking a certain amount of damage, so it's possible he either is a clone that hasn't taken enough damage to dissolve OR that he can take more damage than them because he's just "a clone" and they're clones of a clone.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I want an edit of this chapter featuring a super traumatized Naruto

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

twice is a really freaking good character and i expected him to just be some mook

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...
I wonder what the health care system is like in the world of MHA? You would think with the rise of all these super powers there would have been a major call for providing free mental health care just to be safe. Twice really needs a therapist like whoa.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Buckets posted:

I wonder what the health care system is like in the world of MHA? You would think with the rise of all these super powers there would have been a major call for providing free mental health care just to be safe. Twice really needs a therapist like whoa.

Honestly given Japan's lovely track record with mental illness (even compared to the west which is still lovely) they probably just beat up the mentally ill who become criminals then throw them in prison after what can only technically be called a trial.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Buckets posted:

Probably depends largely on what fantastic medical quirks various people have.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I'm kinda wondering between Toga and Twice if we're gonna see something about how quirk therapy people receive as children is really half assed and how it leads to situations like theirs, who are straight up unhinged rather than generic thugs.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

I'm kinda wondering between Toga and Twice if we're gonna see something about how quirk therapy people receive as children is really half assed and how it leads to situations like theirs, who are straight up unhinged rather than generic thugs.

It does feel like Twice's issues would be a lot less severe if his parents and doctors warned him about the consequences of making copies of human beings (including himself). Actually, given how restricted Quirk use is, I'm surprised he wasn't told it was straight up illegal to use a Quirk like that under any circumstances. Though maybe they assumed his power worked like Naruto's Shadow Clones and he was creating extensions of himself rather than full-fledged people? Or maybe he was told not to do it and did it anyway?

In Toga's case I'm not sure her Quirk is the problem so much as it influenced the particular form her yandere-ness took. Come to think of it, she had to have been a bit messed up even before she knew what her Quirk was in order to figure it out in the first place. Whose blood did she first drink and why?

It's interesting, because in most superhero stories you'd assume she had a power like that because of her personality, but in MHA Quirks seem to be genetic rather than personality-based. Though maybe personality influences the particular form you Quirk takes and genetics only influences the general theme? Though that would kind of undermine the theme they were going for with Shinsou about how the particular Quirk someone has isn't their fault.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 12, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
twice is a criminal who was never caught. i don't think he has full access to the social welfare system, regardless of how good or bad that system may be in future japan. as for toga, it is likely that one of her parents could do something by ingesting blood, though not necessarily the complete shapeshifting she has.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

twice is a criminal who was never caught. i don't think he has full access to the social welfare system, regardless of how good or bad that system may be in future japan. as for toga, it is likely that one of her parents could do something by ingesting blood, though not necessarily the complete shapeshifting she has.

My point is that someone should have figured out how Twice's power worked before he became a criminal.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

In Toga's case I'm not sure her Quirk is the problem so much as it influenced the particular form her yandere-ness took. Come to think of it, she had to have been a bit messed up even before she knew what her Quirk was in order to figure it out in the first place. Whose blood did she first drink and why?

It could just be that her quirk doesn't care about how she ingests the blood, so she could have just started out accidentally transforming after a blood transfusion as a kid.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Last Celebration posted:

I really doubt that Horikoshi will use a shounen manga as a commentary on the lackluster treatment of mental illness we have in basically every society but it won't be the first time I'm surprised

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Silver2195 posted:

It does feel like Twice's issues would be a lot less severe if his parents and doctors warned him about the consequences of making copies of human beings (including himself). Actually, given how restricted Quirk use is, I'm surprised he wasn't told it was straight up illegal to use a Quirk like that under any circumstances. Though maybe they assumed his power worked like Naruto's Shadow Clones and he was creating extensions of himself rather than full-fledged people? Or maybe he was told not to do it and did it anyway?

It's interesting, because in most superhero stories you'd assume she had a power like that because of her personality, but in MHA Quirks seem to be genetic rather than personality-based. Though maybe personality influences the particular form you Quirk takes and genetics only influences the general theme? Though that would kind of undermine the theme they were going for with Shinsou about how the particular Quirk someone has isn't their fault.

The restrictions on the use of quirks seems to be a double edged sword. Yes, you can't just have people X-Mening all over society willy-nilly. However, the restrictions do make it tough for kids with odder or more esoteric quirks to really develop their powers. As a result, people's powers have a greater impact on their personalities than their personalities have on how they use their quirks.

Especially since the only people that society "deals" with are those who either use their quirks for heroics or those who try and break the law with their quirks. There's probably very little support for someone who has x-ray vision but doesn't want to be a doctor or work in another field where such a quirk would be allowed. Which in turns pushes kids towards quirk appropriate fields via the uncaring force of societal bias.

Twice had a duplicating quirk, but since using it to duplicate yourself is outside the bounds of societal norms, there was no support for him to deal with the results. Hell, considering how everyone gets differing strengths and levels of versatility in their genetic quirk, it's possible that Twice is the first one in a long while or ever to be able to fully duplicate himself. Everyone else with a duplication quirk might have only been able to make a Simulacrum instead of a Duplicate, which meant that they never had an existential crisis made physical.

Toga is similar. She probably has generic mimicry powers and only discovered the power of someone's blood by accident. Maybe she was in an accident with someone, or got into a fight and as a result ingested some of their blood. Maybe she had a younger sibling who got hurt and she kissed the boo-boo to make it all better. Whatever way she found out, there's very little likelihood she wasn't either initially or permanently shunned by others when she first manifested the power. Which would drive her down a more villainous path. Especially when she found out how Stain's powers worked and what he did.

With Deku and All Might being the only people we've seen to gain power after their personality was fully formed, it's interesting to see how they shape their power as opposed to how others are shaped by their power.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Twice's power is actually relatively similar to Ectoplasm (CLONES!) but works on a different style it seems.

Ectoplasm's also seem both more durable and aware of when they're fake, but that may just be training.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they can definitively tell if anyone with feet has a quirk or not. i'm sure there is an elaborate testing system to figure out any unknown quirks. if they start from the parents' quirks it probably isn't terribly difficult unless it requires toxic substances as a trigger. there doesn't need to be an elaborate story about how toga first drank blood. figuring out what kids can do is a matter of vital importance in this setting, because they could so easily hurt themselves or others by accident.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Buckets posted:

nice av/post combo

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Stallion Cabana posted:

Twice's power is actually relatively similar to Ectoplasm (CLONES!) but works on a different style it seems.

Ectoplasm's also seem both more durable and aware of when they're fake, but that may just be training.

I think Ectoplasm's things are projections or something; he's got his normal physical body (and it's definitely normal, physical oddities aside, given him losing a leg), but when the giant him "ate" Tsuyu and Tokoyami, they got stuck in it as if it were goo or, well, ectoplasm. He can probably make things other than clones with it, and is actively controlling it rather than it being autonomous like Twice's clones. At least, that's my assumption.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I wonder if maybe people with quirks like Toga or Stain that need blood to activate have line, a natural urge to go for blood at some point during the gestation of their quirk, without understanding why until it manifests. There could be a similar urge for other quirks that would be difficult to figure out otherwise.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I just hope that this chapter sets a precedent for learning more about the Villain Alliance guys. Since Shigaraki's the leader it feels like they're being set up as the next generation of villains, against U-A's next gen of heroes and I think that's a pretty interesting idea. So i'd like to learn more about all of them. Maybe even look into how they all interact with each other and stuff.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
Horikoshi made some mockups of custom Nike shoes based on the characters and they're pretty cool!

https://twitter.com/horikoshiko/status/795250537092419586
So I'm guessing Bakugou, All Might, Deku, and I think Iida?

https://twitter.com/horikoshiko/status/795273090070560769
Tsuyu, Ochako, was a little unsure on this but one of the replies said Sero, and Tokoyami

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kaminari seems more probable to me for bottom left in the second one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
Huh, never realised they had the same colour scheme.
Actually, looking at the closeup of the shoes, they have specks of gold on the soles, which does seem like it would go better with Kaminari's electric quirk.