Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

A.o.D. posted:

It's a victory lap. The hard part was the previous 3 DD runs where you were forced to retire 12 heroes.

It's not a very good victory lap and deferring the actual endpoint of the game to the mission where you wander around a dungeon for half an hour fighting trash mobs and minibosses isn't particularly great either. pretty sure most people would agree that it is fairly important for the final climactic boss to be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I thought the last fight was great. Not too hard but satisfying and still has a bit of tension in hardmode.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I like the end boss :shrug:

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I feel like I've hit a slump in the midgame. All my guys are getting to level 3 and 4 but I'm still seriously lacking in upgrade materials and gold to finish up upgrading the buildings so that I can take on champion dungeons. I want to hire more the new classes to try out but I'm not sure who to kick for the slots. How are you guys managing your roster?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The final boss is pretty easy, yeah, but it's an interesting set piece and provides a satisfying conclusion so I'm good with it.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

ZeroCount posted:

EDIT: on the other hand the Antiquarian has a nice line

Which is?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

'how quickly the tide turns'

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Really?

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Well, I just chumped the third darkest dungeon mission. Beelined straight for the center and murdered the poo poo out of the mammoth cyst with leper crits and dogman biscuits, and ended up resisting the teleport 3 times in a row. :coal:

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

paranoid randroid posted:

god drat it, Antiquarians are like the party member equivalent of the dog biscuits for me. without loving fail i will drag her halfway through a mission only to realize that i havent been using her to click on curios.

gently caress, is this actually how antiquarians work?

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah. When they interact with a loot producing curio it adds an artifact that you can sell at the end of the dungeon.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Every single time an antiquarian activates a loot table, it's +250 or +1000 gold, guaranteed, even if it's something as banal as an unused torch sconce.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
antiquarian will also find stuff even if she activates curios due to a negative quirk so you should always have her selected in hallways unless you see a trap in your path

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Well poo poo. I could have sworn artifacts were showing up regardless of who was selected.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Beyond sane knolls posted:

Well poo poo. I could have sworn artifacts were showing up regardless of who was selected.

In time, you we will know the tragic extent of my your failings...

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I just stumbled across this game. Saw a few videos and the art style and narration are really cool, plus it seems like it has neat game play. Is the OP still up to date for starting out and whatnot?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

no she actually says 'a singular strike'

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Node posted:

In time, you we will know the tragic extent of my your failings...

Curiosity, interest, clickin the wrong fuckin dude: mile markers on my road to damnation.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Aranan posted:

I just stumbled across this game. Saw a few videos and the art style and narration are really cool, plus it seems like it has neat game play. Is the OP still up to date for starting out and whatnot?
I think so? Only started a couple weeks ago myself, so right after the Antiquarian was added to general release. The information worked fine for me--upgrading the Stagecoach to drop off 4 guys per week is still a priority. Most of the town stuff was upgraded to be more user friendly/cheaper so that all still applies but is easier to make use of. Just don't try to stall forever with Jesters & Vestals, also you drop dead of a heart attack at 200 stress.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

no she actually says 'a singular strike'

I'm sure it's "a handsome reward for a task well performed"

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Rangpur posted:

I think so? Only started a couple weeks ago myself, so right after the Antiquarian was added to general release. The information worked fine for me--upgrading the Stagecoach to drop off 4 guys per week is still a priority. Most of the town stuff was upgraded to be more user friendly/cheaper so that all still applies but is easier to make use of. Just don't try to stall forever with Jesters & Vestals, also you drop dead of a heart attack at 200 stress.

The trick to stalling is to do it with either 2 rather ineffectual monsters, such as a bone courtier and a bone crossbowman (or something simliarly harmless), or a single large monster that you can either debuff or stun into relative harmlessness.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

A.o.D. posted:

The trick to stalling is to do it with either 2 rather ineffectual monsters, such as a bone courtier and a bone crossbowman (or something simliarly harmless), or a single large monster that you can either debuff or stun into relative harmlessness.

This still stresses the team out and risks attracting reinforcements.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

You also get one artifact per fight per Antiquarian in the party, but the ones from curio loot tables only appear if an Antiquarian is the one investigating (and you only get one, even if you have multiples of the class).

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

This still stresses the team out and risks attracting reinforcements.

No it doesn't.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

A.o.D. posted:

No it doesn't.

Yeah eventually someone will say something like "nothing good can from toying with these creatures!" and everyone gets stressed out.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Yeah eventually someone will say something like "nothing good can from toying with these creatures!" and everyone gets stressed out.

No they don't, not if you have 2 monsters or a size 2 monster still alive.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Man, the only size 2 I want hanging around is maybe--maybe--a giant crab. And then only if I have a Plague Doctor along to prevent bleed damage. The others are all too prone to loving with your party formation, causing stress, or just outright killing someone on a crit.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Rangpur posted:

Man, the only size 2 I want hanging around is maybe--maybe--a giant crab. And then only if I have a Plague Doctor along to prevent bleed damage. The others are all too prone to loving with your party formation, causing stress, or just outright killing someone on a crit.

A solo pigtaur isn't that scary, especially if you have a rank 2 vestal or an occultist debuffing his damage. Also, if you have a stunning houndmaster, you can lockdown the brigand champion for 2 and maybe even 3 turns at a time. You don't want to stretch that out forever, but I've comfortably destressed against one for as many as 9 turns before.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Mar 27, 2016

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Stun a ghoul with one houndmaster, let the other three Cry Havoc constantly. Even if it shakes off the stun and Howls, you come out ahead, and if it Rends or Skull Tosses your dog target will dodge, guaranteed. All dogs all the time. Optimal Mark party. Selfhealrrs extraordinairre.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Really, the size 2 monsters in the regular dungeons aren't that scary if you know how to handle them, except for the giant.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Reinforcements also dont show up if youre fighting those fishmen that guard

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Kly posted:

Reinforcements also dont show up if youre fighting those fishmen that guard

Probably because it would be bullshit for them to call reinforcements while you struggle to do gently caress all against them while they still have 75% PROT other than layer on more blight.

Davos
Jul 1, 2011

DESERVING RECOGNITION
Are the "Hunger" prompts when exploring just random? It seems like sometimes I get them maybe twice on a Long mission, and then there are times like just now when I go through 3 consecutive hallways and get a hunger prompt each time

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Davos posted:

Are the "Hunger" prompts when exploring just random? It seems like sometimes I get them maybe twice on a Long mission, and then there are times like just now when I go through 3 consecutive hallways and get a hunger prompt each time

Every time you go down a hallway, every tile that isn't a curio, a fight, a trap, or an obstruction has a chance to cause a hunger event or a stress event to a random party member. This includes hallways you've already explored. It seems like there can be multiple stress events, but only one hunger event per trip down a hallway.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I've read that hunger events are just unmarked tiles auto-generated with the map. They can respawn when you reenter a hallway just like fights and traps.

So it's possible to avoid them by chance, especially if you path through hallways dense with other tiles.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the heroes are too busy fighting and grabbing torches or rubbing herbs on corpses to eat

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

the heroes are too busy fighting and grabbing torches or rubbing herbs on corpses to eat

Pouring holy water into confession booths is actually a metaphor.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Nakar posted:

I've read that hunger events are just unmarked tiles auto-generated with the map. They can respawn when you reenter a hallway just like fights and traps.

So it's possible to avoid them by chance, especially if you path through hallways dense with other tiles.

They don't respawn, they just spawn. You can encounter a hunger event, stress event, fight, or trap in a hallway that didn't have one the first time you went through it.

Floodkiller posted:

Pouring holy water into confession booths is actually a metaphor.

It's a metaphor for passing up a shot at a free -quirk removal.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
having more than 1 leper is definitely looking more and more like a mistake, even with a roster size of 28. i could have another plague doctor in that slot. less disease more cure :v:

might just mod my game to allow a slightly larger maximum roster, as is i can't even have 2 of each class. how much effect would that have on the game's balance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

A larger roster just makes the game longer. Technically you only need 16 people to beat it, and unless you go through dudes like toilet paper 12 backups is more than enough.