Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

theDOWmustflow posted:

I am having a very hard time understanding the religion game. Do I constantly need to be pumping out missionary units to counteract the missionaries sent out by the AI?

I have no idea how the religious aspect of Civ6 affects my game. I just make poo poo and send them to proselytize... am I gaining anything out of doing this? Don't even get me started on districts.

You make apostles, and have them stand guard.

The stream of missionaries will generally just keep coming from the same direction. The apostles kill all the missionaries, and then keep healing up at your holy sites. If you aren't going for a religious victory but just want to defend against one, as long as you have a group of apostles always guarding, and be careful not to let them die, you'll be fine.

If you're trying to win a religious victory, eventually you decide to convert the AI causing trouble, so you make a number of apostles, with some missionaries as well, and send them out as a group towards the other civ. The apostles kill off the enemy missionaries/apostles, and then your apostles and missionaries convert their cities. You have to get all of them that have their religion, so that they can't make any more religious units.

It's very helpful to have Theocracy so you get the +5 religious combat bonus, once it's available.

I think the important thing is to conserve your religious units. Don't just keep making missionaries and sending them off 1 at a time, you'll never win a religious victory this way.

Edit: if you don't know what you're doing in general, just play the game on an easy difficulty and experiment. The victory types are religious, science, domination, culture, and score. You want to pick one and go for that.

Orange Sunshine fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jan 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The exception is your Martyr apostles. Send them off alone so they can die as witnesses to the Church of Almighty Poopism as soon as possible.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

markus_cz posted:

Consider me interested.

There doesn't seem to be a way to make a private game yet, so you might just want to hop into one of the other games starting.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Is the AI behaviour worse on larger maps than on smaller ones?

I tried a Huge map for the first time, after usually playing on small maps with only 6 total civs. I have 4 AI civs bordering my cities, and they declare war on me non stop, usually two at a time. The last one who did so, I looked at our relationship, and it was -2 for different governments. Clearly a good reason to declare a surprise war on me, thereby giving himself enormous warmonger penalties.

This is utterly annoying because I'm trying to go for a culture victory. Even though I'm now in 1st place at a domination victory, due to having walls in all my cities and having to constantly produce units to fight off the non stop wars.

It seems to me that the more AI civs you have, the more annoying they are.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Orange Sunshine posted:

I tried a Huge map for the first time, after usually playing on small maps with only 6 total civs. I have 4 AI civs bordering my cities, and they declare war on me non stop, usually two at a time. The last one who did so, I looked at our relationship, and it was -2 for different governments. Clearly a good reason to declare a surprise war on me, thereby giving himself enormous warmonger penalties.

Does the AI even get warmonger penalties with each other?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Orange Sunshine posted:

Is the AI behaviour worse on larger maps than on smaller ones?

This is utterly annoying because I'm trying to go for a culture victory. Even though I'm now in 1st place at a domination victory, due to having walls in all my cities and having to constantly produce units to fight off the non stop wars.

It seems to me that the more AI civs you have, the more annoying they are.

Wait til you discover satellites, and discover the endless swathes of Eden-quality land they're ignoring in favour of attacking you.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Krazyface posted:

Wait til you discover satellites, and discover the endless swathes of Eden-quality land they're ignoring in favour of attacking you.

Its even more maddening when they place their poo poo settler in such a way that it fucks a city of yours in favor of putting a settler on a beautiful center of a clear 3x3 hex with shittons of things to mine.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Orange Sunshine posted:

I have 4 AI civs bordering my cities, and they declare war on me non stop, usually two at a time.

Joint wars are the worst addition, I swear. Separately, civs that dislike you will tend to just leave you alone. The joint war mechanic means their combined resources will generally sway them beyond the "gently caress you, it's on now" line. Stupid, stupid, stupid...

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I wouldn't mind them declaring war on me if it made any sense at all. If it was a reasonable tactic for the AI civ, then I could see it.

But instead it's, "You vile bastard, you've gone too far, with all your luxury resources!" And then they send a handful of swordsmen at you, you kill them but lose a few units, they pillage one tile, and 30 turns later they ask for peace. They don't have a reasonable plan to wipe you out, or to expand their territory by taking one ore more of your cities, or anything. Half the time they don't send a single unit to attack you.

Because they declare war seemingly at random, and act in a random way after declaring war on you, it's just an annoyance instead of a reasonable strategic element of the game. And the worst thing is that you're not allowed to do anything about it without taking on an enormous warmonger penalty which will cause the entire world to hate you.

Your neighbor civ hates you and declares war on you over and over. Can you conquer him and raze his cities or keep them? Haha, of course not, that would make you a warmonger. No, you're supposed to just do nothing.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The AI is basically no more aggressive than it was in Civ V, except it can now add a third party's strength to its own when performing its once-per-turn "Should I declare war?" check.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Orange Sunshine posted:

Your neighbor civ hates you and declares war on you over and over. Can you conquer him and raze his cities or keep them? Haha, of course not, that would make you a warmonger. No, you're supposed to just do nothing.

-Israel

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Orange Sunshine posted:

"You vile bastard, you've gone too far, with all your luxury resources!"

This made me laugh a lot more than it should have. In trying to give the AI personality they actually just made them neurotic assholes.

One game I was neck and neck for culture/science with another civ, so during my turn I was first but during AI turn I was second, and Peter would lose his poo poo at me on every loving end of turn.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

What sort of behavior would you expect after forward settling a hostile civ?

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

About to get my first deity victory. Was going to give up on the game, despite starting really good (Gilgamesh, I took my neighbor Japan and Scythia out within the first 100~ turns on standard). However, once I was working on my third Civ I noticed that Arabia just pushed out it's first Mechanized Infantry... I had just completed the research for Cavalry... I was about to just restart, but I decided to dick around with my cavalry and see if I could even the playing field somehow. I poked around Arabias territory, keeping ahead of the mechanized infantry, and just pillaging everything I could find around 2 of their 10~ cities. War weariness and me pillaging their lux's must have done it, because all of sudden every Arabian city was surrounded by Barbarian Mechanized Infantry... They couldn't rebuild fast enough, every mech they pump out is met with 3 mech barbarians. They try to rebuild their resources with workers, but then they get captured (there is a constant flood of barbarian workers leaving their territory). Better yet, there were a few other powerhouse neighbors who weren't as teched as Arabia that are now being flooded by mech barbarians.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

About to get my first deity victory. Was going to give up on the game, despite starting really good (Gilgamesh, I took my neighbor Japan and Scythia out within the first 100~ turns on standard). However, once I was working on my third Civ I noticed that Arabia just pushed out it's first Mechanized Infantry... I had just completed the research for Cavalry... I was about to just restart, but I decided to dick around with my cavalry and see if I could even the playing field somehow. I poked around Arabias territory, keeping ahead of the mechanized infantry, and just pillaging everything I could find around 2 of their 10~ cities. War weariness and me pillaging their lux's must have done it, because all of sudden every Arabian city was surrounded by Barbarian Mechanized Infantry... They couldn't rebuild fast enough, every mech they pump out is met with 3 mech barbarians. They try to rebuild their resources with workers, but then they get captured (there is a constant flood of barbarian workers leaving their territory). Better yet, there were a few other powerhouse neighbors who weren't as teched as Arabia that are now being flooded by mech barbarians.

Good job creating the political quagmire that is the Middle East.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Game is much better if you just imagine stuff like that. Civ has always been more of a RPG experience to me.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
OK, if you want to stop bitching about how dumb the AI is and start playing against real humans in GMR-style multiplayer, let's get it on! I set up a game at PYDT.

Click here to join.

You'll need a password. It's iamprotected

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Aerdan posted:

Joint wars are the worst addition, I swear. Separately, civs that dislike you will tend to just leave you alone. The joint war mechanic means their combined resources will generally sway them beyond the "gently caress you, it's on now" line. Stupid, stupid, stupid...

Joint wars are the best, since it's exactly what happened twice in the 20th century.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009

Peas and Rice posted:

OK, if you want to stop bitching about how dumb the AI is and start playing against real humans in GMR-style multiplayer, let's get it on! I set up a game at PYDT.

Click here to join.

Sounds fun, signing up!

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i also signed up

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

homullus posted:

Joint wars are the best, since it's exactly what happened twice in the 20th century.

Does one of the civs ever flip out and declare war on the other one right after they finish dividing up Poland?

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Peas and Rice posted:

Click here to join.

I too have signed up.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Deltasquid posted:

Good job creating the political quagmire that is the Middle East.

I like to think of it as a highly advanced people who become enraged at losing access to their Truffle Oil, so they decide the rest of the world can't have Truffle Oil either.

It's definitely been the most interesting interaction I've seen in Civ 6 yet, and since the AI doesn't appear to care much about entertainment districts it's a super viable strategy.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I signed up!

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Grabbed the last spot for the PYDT game.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

McKracken posted:

Rad, we're off to the races!

Note - the other game I played started me with the wrong civ's intro (I think it was the host civ's) so if you see Victoria's intro don't be alarmed, it should still give you your Civ when you're ready.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I just had greece go from 'friendly' to 'unhappy' because i signed an open borders treat with them wtf :psyduck:

I mean, I had -1000 warmonger penalties with the other two remaining civs and only signed it so I could move troops through to invade Norway but still, sort your poo poo out firaxis.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
They got one good look at your society.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Krazyface posted:

Kind of like when the Berlin Wall came down and West Berlin stopped hugging East Berlin and got a good look at the place.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

prefect posted:

Does one of the civs ever flip out and declare war on the other one right after they finish dividing up Poland?

How could a glorious cultural and religious powerhouse like Poland ever be divided?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Peas and Rice posted:

Rad, we're off to the races!

Note - the other game I played started me with the wrong civ's intro (I think it was the host civ's) so if you see Victoria's intro don't be alarmed, it should still give you your Civ when you're ready.

Darn, apparently I just missed this.

Oh well, so much for trying multiplayer Poland and being a dick with military engineers.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
To summarise, I think the mechanics of Civ VI are awesome, it's just a pity about the AI and implementation and the balancing...

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Oh cool, we started already. I'll get the client up and going and take my turn :v:

Edit: Apparently if you don't have a folder named "Hotseat" in your Saves directory the tool doesn't like it. Once I made a new folder called that it seemed to work.

I'm free American central time so I'll do my best to keep up. Do we want to get in a discord or something for multiplayer?

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 19, 2017

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Cleopatra: "Heh why do you have no faith?"
-6 dislikes civs low in faith

I have literally converted all citizens on Earth to my religion. All of them.

E: Lolol I nuked all five of her cities in retaliation and literally no war declared, no negative diplomacy hit. I was allied with her so that's likely it. Which is hilarious.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jan 19, 2017

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Krazyface posted:

That would actually be a clever piece of implementation so I assume it was actually a bug. Kind of like the way that Greece also got upset that I used the agreement to actually move troops through their territory, what else am I supposed to do with open borders?

In the same game I actually saw Spain take down the walls on a city state. They failed to actually capture the city because I wiped their troops out 1 turn later but they did at least try.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

Darn, apparently I just missed this.

Oh well, so much for trying multiplayer Poland and being a dick with military engineers.

I'm sure you could easily fill a second game if you wanted to start one! :getin:

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I would play a game on PYDT. I am really terrible though.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
The best way to git gud at a Civ game is to do multiplayer. GMR (and FilthyRobot) taught me everything I know about Civ 5.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

McKracken posted:

pydt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

JetsGuy posted:

E: Lolol I nuked all five of her cities in retaliation and literally no war declared, no negative diplomacy hit. I was allied with her so that's likely it. Which is hilarious.
I had a game where one of my neighbors declared war on me, and brought Gilgamesh, who was on the other side of the map, in for a joint war. Only Gil had been planning to ask to be friends that same turn, so I got the "i'm declaring war on you!!!' noise and a beaming Gil asking to be besties. Regardless of how I answered, we were then locked into an undeclared, un-endable war that lasted the remaining 200 turns of the game, while still being good friends the whole time.