Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Taeke posted:

Isn't PCP or something famous for making people extremely hard to put down, even requiring multiple shot wounds that would've killed a normal person?

Yup. Here's a video from ages ago (:nws: due to blurred-out nudity)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLZq5GGPxws:nws:) where a guy on PCP gets pepper sprayed and it still takes like half a dozen officers to restrain him.

Even small-town police officers watch out for any indication that someone might be on PCP just because of the threat an otherwise normal person becomes when they stop feeling pain and totally lose their goddamn marbles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

CJacobs posted:

The Walking Dead is an alt-universe where the concept of zombies just plain doesn't exist. There is no zombie history, no zombies in other cultures, no zombies by another name, no zombie literature, there are no zombie movies, nothing. Kirkman figured that was the only real way to make it so that the characters didn't immediately know how to fight zombies.

It's true. It's only because I knew about zombies at all that I was able to survive that fight against that drunk, homeless man.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CJacobs posted:

The Walking Dead is an alt-universe where the concept of zombies just plain doesn't exist. There is no zombie history, no zombies in other cultures, no zombies by another name, no zombie literature, there are no zombie movies, nothing. Kirkman figured that was the only real way to make it so that the characters didn't immediately know how to fight zombies.

The other way would be to just completely subvert the known zombie rules, and then their "knowledge" would actually work against them. But then you'd also have to stray further away from "zombies" as culture/society likes them.

Oh, you thought a nail to the head was the way to kill zombies? Ends up their heads are filled with acid, Alien style. Whoops! You don't know poo poo! This isn't your movie zombies!

That'd be pretty good. "Zombies? gently caress! Okay, don't worry guys, I got this..." "AAAAAH ACID ON FACE"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I didn't say it was a good explanation. :geno:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Zaphod42 posted:

The other way would be to just completely subvert the known zombie rules, and then their "knowledge" would actually work against them. But then you'd also have to stray further away from "zombies" as culture/society likes them.

Oh, you thought a nail to the head was the way to kill zombies? Ends up their heads are filled with acid, Alien style. Whoops! You don't know poo poo! This isn't your movie zombies!

That'd be pretty good. "Zombies? gently caress! Okay, don't worry guys, I got this..." "AAAAAH ACID ON FACE"

I want to see this now.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's pretty much what Dead Space is. If you shoot a Necromorph's head off it just gets angrier. Though I guess you mean in a modern-day setting.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Dead Space is the only game that managed to scare me with rag-dolls because I thought the fucker was getting back up.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

scarycave posted:

Dead Space is the only game that managed to scare me with rag-dolls because I thought the fucker was getting back up.

That's why it has a stomp button. *stomp* DIE *stomp* MOTHERFUCKER *stomp* :unsmigghh:

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.

Boing posted:

Actual people don't do this. We hear or see weird poo poo all the time but we frame it in terms of what we know or understand because it's much simpler to do. If I'm walking around at night and everything turns red and smells of sulphur and I hear a booming voice telling me I'm damned, I don't think "oh poo poo, Satan", I think "alright, what idiot is loving around with a megaphone?"

In the moment, I think anyone would believe in the supernatural if the effect is realistic enough. I had a song that I had listened to dozens of times on mono, with a creepy whispering voice that only played through the other channel. The first time I heard the song, late at night, through proper stereo speakers, I honestly believed in ghosts. That lasted about five seconds before I figured out what was going on.

Then you have Dead Rising, which opens with several minutes of decaying people stumbling through the streets, swarming and eating healthy people, taking several bullets to the chest, etc. Frank's takeaway from this is that what's going on is more than just a "riot" because it's "a little too quiet for civil disobedience". A few minutes later, an NPC identifies them as zombies, which Frank responds to as if it's a crazy idea. So it's not like the idea of a zombie isn't common in the Dead Rising world! Even if you don't believe the rotting cannibal people mindlessly pounding on the mall doors aren't actually the reanimated dead, you'd still probably still call them "zombies", wouldn't you?

As for thread content, what's dragging Knights of Pen and Paper down is that monsters basically just become larger sacks of HP. My first time through, just picking classes that sounded cool, I ended up with three characters who can 100% reliably stun an enemy non-elite target for 2/3/12 turns respectively, with no limit to how many targets can be stunned at once. Elite/Boss monsters mostly just ineffectively plinked at my Paladin, except for the secret boss who repeatedly hits your entire party with a meteor. I like a lot of the ideas, but the combat is ultimately not interesting enough to sustain the game. Then the main questline becomes all about talking about how great Gabe Newell is and then it just ends.

It's strange, because I feel like I have a favorable impression of the game, but if you asked me to name things I like about it there's pretty much just the class/skill system and that's it. Maybe I need a "PYF thing dragging this game up" thread.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

No one wants to be that guy who went down for murder because they thought a homeless person with a skin condition was a zombie.

I really want to see a setting where zombies do appear but the infection is rare enough (and doesn't just take a bite) that people are always second guessing themselves because it's been largely kept from the public eye.
They made a metric tonne of Resident Evil games set in Raccoon City but never quite the one I wanted which would be set before things went absolutely apeshit and the police were still denying the news reports.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

scarycave posted:

A problem with Dead Space is that, on normal at least, you could always tell when an enemy died because they would drop some kind of item. It made that part a little easier to avoid.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

muscles like this? posted:

A problem with Dead Space is that, on normal at least, you could always tell when an enemy died because they would drop some kind of item. It made that part a little easier to avoid.

Which was fixed in 2 and 3, as you needed to bash the bodies around a bit before they disgorged their loot.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

opaopa13 posted:

It's strange, because I feel like I have a favorable impression of the game, but if you asked me to name things I like about it there's pretty much just the class/skill system and that's it. Maybe I need a "PYF thing dragging this game up" thread.
People have posted crappy games with one really cool bit in the "little things in games" thread, so...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sad lions posted:

No one wants to be that guy who went down for murder because they thought a homeless person with a skin condition was a zombie.

I really want to see a setting where zombies do appear but the infection is rare enough (and doesn't just take a bite) that people are always second guessing themselves because it's been largely kept from the public eye.
They made a metric tonne of Resident Evil games set in Raccoon City but never quite the one I wanted which would be set before things went absolutely apeshit and the police were still denying the news reports.

Oooh, make it so the infection takes a really long time before you're zombified.

So you have all kinds of people who know they're a ticking time bomb, but they're still hiding it, trying to tell themselves it'll be okay...

I like it. There'd be constant paranoia that anybody could go zombie at any minute, so you couldn't trust each other.

DayZ proved that in a zombie apocalypse, the other people are way more dangerous than the zombies. Man is the most dangerous game, after all :smuggo:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Even better idea, how about you just not use zombies since popular media at large has been completely saturated with zombies for the past decade or so? Zombies WITH A TWIST is just as boring as regular zombies at this point.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I want to see a film about a guy who gets hassled by a homeless guy and immediately goes full zombie apocalypse mode.

Wait this is not the thread I thought it was. Hang on I'll post content in a second.

scarycave posted:

That's pretty much why every game fails when they try to make you feel bad for killing the guy literally trying to murder you.
Kind of a meta one of these in 400 days. In the one with the recovering drug addict, after you bash the woman's head in with the pole you end up going through this big long thing where you're all boohoo I didn't mean to kill you I didn't know it was you etc. Except if you screw up the bit where you pull the pole out of the ground the first time around, like I did, the shadowy figure beats you to death with a torch and you restart.

So your impression of that scene changes entirely depending on whether or not you've failed at it before or not :shrug:.

Splicer has a new favorite as of 22:21 on May 15, 2014

Caufman
May 7, 2007

N. Senada posted:

It's true. It's only because I knew about zombies at all that I was able to survive that fight against that drunk, homeless man.

Oh dear, is there somewhere a brain-battered, headless body of a homeless man that the police aren't investigating?

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Caufman posted:

Oh dear, is there somewhere a brain-battered, headless body of a homeless man that the police aren't investigating?

Almost certainly.

Content: bloom. gently caress bloom. gently caress pointless amounts around ever single lightsource/highlight/anything-not-a-shadow.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Jeherrin posted:

Almost certainly.

Content: bloom. gently caress bloom. gently caress pointless amounts around ever single lightsource/highlight/anything-not-a-shadow.

For that matter, gently caress brown filters. Real life is full of colour everywhere, stop having lovely art direction. Also players, stop having lovely taste in game art direction.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Honestly, could everyone just stop buying and playing games that I don't like? It's really rude.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

carry on then posted:

Honestly, could everyone just stop buying and playing games that I don't like? It's really rude.

I'm playing Spec Ops: The Line right now, and it's got something I've not seen before — filters. You can have mild bloom (normal), lots of bloom (vivid/bright) or this filter called 'vintage', which browns everything out a bit and puts a vignette round the edges. Novel. I'm playing on normal, but I like the idea. A major gripe, though: all the 'actions' are kind of mapped to the space bar. So sprint — space bar. Duck into cover — space bar. Rappel/abseil — space bar. The only significant movement modifier that's not mapped to the space bar is vaulting over obstacles, which is left shift. Which also doubles as your melee attack, and your 'stand on someone and shoot them in the head' button. I get that they're trying to streamline stuff but drat, swinging your rifle butt at a couch when you're trying to vault it is annoying.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
It's one of my favorite games, but I never got used to moving around as Walker. God help him any time he had to switch cover quickly, which was a lot.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Caufman posted:

It's one of my favorite games, but I never got used to moving around as Walker. God help him any time he had to switch cover quickly, which was a lot.

The offset third-person-view weirds me out. I strafe a lot trying to walk in a straight line.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Speaking of zombies, playing Half-Life 2 after Left 4 Dead or its sequel really underscores how little variety the zombies have. For the Overwatch soldiers, it's okay, as they're supposed to be mass-produced and uniform, but for the allegedly organic process that creates zombies, it starts to grate to just see the one zombified dude's outfit over and over.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Is it just me, or does Pokemon Black 2/White 2 really slant the RNG in the AIs favor, even more than earlier or later games? Apparently 30% chance to burn means burn every time it's used, and somehow a water move can one hit kill a grass Pokemon 8 levels higher?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Lotish posted:

Huh? They thought it was transmitted by bite because they'd seen people get bit, get the fever, die and come back. It was demonstrated in the first season with that one guy they tried to help but eventually left by a tree. Presumably they had all seen it happen in the time gap between the outbreak and Rick waking up.
I haven't seen the show or read the books or played the FPS, I'm going solely off the adventure game. And in that people seem to make all these assumptions about zombies that come from zombie fiction in the real world which explicitly doesn't exist in that universe.

Also, at the start of the game it seems like everything's normal and then suddenly zombies are everywhere. Where the hell did they all suddenly come from and how come literally everyone seems to know more about it than the protagonist? Everyone acts like this has been going on for some time, but it apparently hasn't?

Splicer posted:

So your impression of that scene changes entirely depending on whether or not you've failed at it before or not :shrug:.
This always shits me. The first time I remember encountering it is that bit in Police Quest where if you don't check your car for bombs then there's a bomb there, but if you do check then there isn't. Bullshit. Either there should be a bomb there in both cases or neither.

Jeherrin posted:

The offset third-person-view weirds me out. I strafe a lot trying to walk in a straight line.
I think it was Arkham Asylum I had this problem with. It's just incredibly irritating feeling like you can never walk in a straight line.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Jeherrin posted:

I'm playing Spec Ops: The Line right now, and it's got something I've not seen before — filters. You can have mild bloom (normal), lots of bloom (vivid/bright) or this filter called 'vintage', which browns everything out a bit and puts a vignette round the edges. Novel. I'm playing on normal, but I like the idea.
The oh so hated recent SimCity had a lot of different colour treatments available which could give really different tones to the view. It was actually pretty sweet.

It's actually one of the things dragging down (oh god I'm going to say it) Dark Souls. That game has some great architecture and views, but it doesn't capitalise on them.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Jeherrin posted:

Almost certainly.

Mahjong Poker mini-game in Sleeping Dogs. I had to wait until it was night in-game if I wanted to play it.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Tiggum posted:

I haven't seen the show or read the books or played the FPS, I'm going solely off the adventure game. And in that people seem to make all these assumptions about zombies that come from zombie fiction in the real world which explicitly doesn't exist in that universe.

Also, at the start of the game it seems like everything's normal and then suddenly zombies are everywhere. Where the hell did they all suddenly come from and how come literally everyone seems to know more about it than the protagonist? Everyone acts like this has been going on for some time, but it apparently hasn't?

They learn about bites from the bitten girl at the motel at the end of Episode 1. They learn that anyone who dies comes back from Ben at the beginning of Episode 2. At the start of the game, Lee is knocked out in the back of the cop car and it never really says how long he's out. Probably long enough for the walkers to propagate in Macon, the dead cop outside to look all rotted, Clem's house to get trashed, etc. Even so, when you get to the farm, Hershel doesn't believe anything serious is going on and the fat guy runs home to get dinner. So, I dunno what you mean, the walkers take over fast but you mostly see it happen.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Jeherrin posted:

I'm playing Spec Ops: The Line right now, and it's got something I've not seen before — filters. You can have mild bloom (normal), lots of bloom (vivid/bright) or this filter called 'vintage', which browns everything out a bit and puts a vignette round the edges. Novel. I'm playing on normal, but I like the idea.
There was this great old budget PC FPS called Carnivores: Cityscape that let you just gently caress around with the colors. You could set it so everything was in these garish psychedellic colors and stuff even.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD has a new favorite as of 12:26 on May 16, 2014

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

MissMarple posted:

It's actually one of the things dragging down (oh god I'm going to say it) Dark Souls. That game has some great architecture and views, but it doesn't capitalise on them.

Demon's Souls was by and large a lot worse with that. Every level besides Boletaria Palace and Shrine of Storms was either set at night or deep underground where only torches light the passages so interiors would get harsh orange lighting. The exteriors for Boletaria and the Shrine of Storms were overcast and grey.

I had an art book for the game and one of the bosses Maneater - the proto-Bell Gargoyle - was designed to look like an elaborate Manticore statue but good luck figuring that out in-game because all you saw was a big black silhouette with red eyes.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Mierenneuker posted:

Mahjong Poker mini-game in Sleeping Dogs. I had to wait until it was night in-game if I wanted to play it.

Oh geez I'm glad I'm not the only one who found that game literally unplayable.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I'm running through KotOR 1 for the first time and as much as I'm enjoying it, it's really irritating me how the names of the armor pieces don't actually relate to what class of armor they are. Krath Heavy Armor? That's medium armor. Light Battle Armor? Also medium. Heavy Combat Suit? You bet your rear end that's light armor.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

On a whole KotOR 1 doesn't really encourage you to use any of the party members that aren't a jedi. It's generally hard to compete with force powers, but lightsabers seem to trump all other weapons too (especially the ranged ones). The droids have it even worse because Force Heal doesn't work on them.

Canderous also comes equipped with his own blaster rifle when he ends up being far better at using melee weaponry.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

carry on then posted:

Is it just me, or does Pokemon Black 2/White 2 really slant the RNG in the AIs favor, even more than earlier or later games? Apparently 30% chance to burn means burn every time it's used, and somehow a water move can one hit kill a grass Pokemon 8 levels higher?

It's just you.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The depiction of mechanical augmentations in Deus Ex: Human Revolution bugs me from a thematic perspective. The first game made it clear that nano-augmentation was a societal game-changer: you could be augmented without looking like a horrible robot monster. But a game that takes place before the first game has mechanical augmentations that look and act entirely natural, with maybe a straight line somewhere to show off that its fake. HR occasionally brings up that there's an implicit you-have-to-be-augmented-to-be-anyone theme, and such a theme would have been a lot stronger if people were willingly turning themselves into horrible robot monsters because of that.

The developers tried to hand-wave it away by saying that the HR era's mech-augs were intentionally pretty and devolved into horrible-looking stuff, but it doesn't work well for me.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I know that feel. It's mostly an esthetic thing, since mechanical augmentation as a theme is still fairly murky, with neuropozyne addiction and all that.

I also feel that the esthetic sensibilities of the age when the game was made plays into it somehow. The design of DXHR is sleeker since it was made when sleek design was in.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

MisterBibs posted:

The depiction of mechanical augmentations in Deus Ex: Human Revolution bugs me from a thematic perspective. The first game made it clear that nano-augmentation was a societal game-changer: you could be augmented without looking like a horrible robot monster. But a game that takes place before the first game has mechanical augmentations that look and act entirely natural, with maybe a straight line somewhere to show off that its fake. HR occasionally brings up that there's an implicit you-have-to-be-augmented-to-be-anyone theme, and such a theme would have been a lot stronger if people were willingly turning themselves into horrible robot monsters because of that.

The developers tried to hand-wave it away by saying that the HR era's mech-augs were intentionally pretty and devolved into horrible-looking stuff, but it doesn't work well for me.

One of the problems with HR's writing is that originally Jensen would be able to buy himself more augmentations from the clinics, which was eventually changed to him activating already installed augmentations after the tutorial level. The problem is that there is a lot of dialog and notes left over from the original script so you have stuff like Marik telling Jensen that Sarif will want him to aug-up when there really isn't much left to replace on him.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

LoonShia posted:

I know that feel. It's mostly an esthetic thing, since mechanical augmentation as a theme is still fairly murky, with neuropozyne addiction and all that.

I also feel that the esthetic sensibilities of the age when the game was made plays into it somehow. The design of DXHR is sleeker since it was made when sleek design was in.

Yeah, that's just it. It would have been really difficult to make Jensen an exciting protagonist if they were stuck making him look like Hermann and Navarre from DX. I kind of hope they do a game closer to the in-game 2050s, I'd really like to see their take on nanoaugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

LoonShia posted:

The one thing that the mobile prequel to HR did right was making the addiction a prominent part of the storyline.
Of course that was undermined by almost every other possible aspect of it being godawful.

• Locked thread