Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Wrar posted:

My car is shuddering under accelleration. I just had my tires changed. It feels like there is a lot of extra vibration in the drive line. 05 WRX wagon.

The amount of vibration scales with the amount of acceleration, not with engine speed. Please help :(

bad cv or a problem with the tire balancing/mounting

step 1 make sure the lug nuts are all tight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I checked the lugs, one is probably out of balance. Thanks Jamal.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
About a week ago, my drivers side rear swaybar mounting bracket blew off (bolt heads ripped off) right after I installed a whiteline swaybar. I think the reason this might have happened is I wasn't able to torque the bolts down to spec on that side (they'd start spinning in place after a certain tightness). The passenger side bracket bolts torqued without issue and didn't break off as I drove this past week with only 1 bracket attached.

Yesterday, my replacement bracket arrived. I extracted the bolt shafts and installed the new bracket with new bolts (which were more expensive than the bracket :argh:) with some blue loctite. They torqued with no issues this time. However, I checked the torque on the passenger side bracket, and the bolts were spinning in place, much like the driver side bolts during the original installation. So far so good, but I won't be surprised if it pops off over the next few days (thankfully I ordered a spare bracket with the replacement). Any reason why this happened? No loctite? The stress from only having 1 bracket for a week?

On a related note, anyone know any brick and mortar stores that sell M8 1.25 grade 8 flange bolts?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Splinter posted:

About a week ago, my drivers side rear swaybar mounting bracket blew off (bolt heads ripped off) right after I installed a whiteline swaybar. I think the reason this might have happened is I wasn't able to torque the bolts down to spec on that side (they'd start spinning in place after a certain tightness). The passenger side bracket bolts torqued without issue and didn't break off as I drove this past week with only 1 bracket attached.

Yesterday, my replacement bracket arrived. I extracted the bolt shafts and installed the new bracket with new bolts (which were more expensive than the bracket :argh:) with some blue loctite. They torqued with no issues this time. However, I checked the torque on the passenger side bracket, and the bolts were spinning in place, much like the driver side bolts during the original installation. So far so good, but I won't be surprised if it pops off over the next few days (thankfully I ordered a spare bracket with the replacement). Any reason why this happened? No loctite? The stress from only having 1 bracket for a week?

On a related note, anyone know any brick and mortar stores that sell M8 1.25 grade 8 flange bolts?

Where do you live? i know of 4 specialty bolt places in my relatively small city.

I would almost gaurantee there is a fastenall within half an hour of you, and they have or can get just about anything.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Oooh. Could be damaged threads in the brackets. You can get a longer bolt and put a nut on the back of it to keep them in place.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
:siren:

quote:

May 17, 2012
By Peter Lyon
Illustrator: Holiday Auto Magazine

The latest news to leak out of Subaru is as red hot as it is shocking. Remember how the international media called the silver Advanced Tourer Concept at last year's 2011 Tokyo Motor Show the next-generation Legacy? Looks like everyone got it wrong -- including us. We're going to make up for that here, however, since we have just learned that the Advanced Tourer was actually an early look at the next-generation Subaru WRX. That's right folks, the highly-anticipated WRX has already been revealed in prototype form,

This artist's impression depicts what we have been able to scrounge from a Subaru insider about the company's all-new sports car. The new WRX will get headlights, air dam, grille, and front brake ducts like those on the Advanced Tourer Concept. The overall side profile will resemble the Tourer as well, though the new WRX will incorporate far more aggressive front and rear wheel arches and fenders. Odds are it will be bigger too -- at roughly 180 inches long, 72 inches wide and 56 inches tall, the Advanced Tourer is more than 6 inches longer, 3.5 inches wider, and almost 2 inches shorter than the all-new Impreza. Like the outgoing model, it will likely be offered as a sedan and hatchback.

Speaking of the Impreza, the WRX will diverge the way the Nissan GT-R completely diverged from the Nissan Skyline sedan in 2007. While it will ride on a heavily modified version of the current Impreza platform, the WRX will no longer employ the suffix Impreza. The harsh reaction to Subaru's attempt to appeal to a broader audience by softening the 2008 WRX's ride and handling traits planted the seeds for that radical decision. We also learned that in designing the new car, product planners aimed to redefine the WRX from a turbocharged boy-racer into a more-mature sporty grand tourer with a higher-quality interior. Make no mistake, however, the new WRX will come with a stiff suspension setup and enough power to satisfy even the most hardcore fan.

Speaking of power, a critical fact not yet clear is exactly what engines will motivate the new WRX. Our insider tells us that Subaru's R&D team is currently testing new FA series 1.6- and 2.0-liter direct-injected turbocharged boxer fours in addition to a hybridized version of the 1.6-liter turbo -- the powertrain featured in the Advanced Tourer Concept -- but he also says that while the R&D team is satisfied with the hybrid's mileage and emissions, they believe that the hybrid unit and its added weight wouldn't suit the WRX's performance focus. We're betting on the new 2.0-liter unit.

"There are those engineers who do support the hybrid idea, not least because the hybrid we are developing might employ some Toyota componentry. But the actual hybrid unit we are using is far lighter [than Toyota's THS-II] single-clutch design," explains our insider, adding that it was developed in-house. He told us that the current thinking inside Subaru is to channel the hybrid powertrain away from the WRX and into the all-new Legacy, due out in 2015. The new model will also incorporate a choice of the standard six-speed manual transmission or the updated version of Subaru's Lineartronic CVT fitted to the face-lifted Legacy that just went on sale in Japan.

The new WRX STI should surface in 2015, and it will be aimed squarely at the U.S. market. It is expected deliver more than 320 horsepower (presumably from an optimized version of the new FA 2.0-liter turbo) and compete in WTCC and the Nurburgring 24 Hours, in which the current model recorded a dramatic class win last year.

This new WRX is part of Subaru's recently announced "Motion V" initiative, a plan to totally reinvent its powertrains and SI chassis, versions of which currently underpin both the Legacy and Impreza. "Expect to see more model downsizing and hybridization, while chassis will become even lighter and boast a higher quality finish," says our source.

Really surprising. Lots of Subaru sources previously said the WRX was going to be *smaller* than the Impreza, but a "nicer" WRX wouldn't be a bad thing at all if it still performs.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looks like a Dodge.

jamal/Subaru people, how's running an EWG on a daily driver? My tuner says they provide great results but can be a little... offputting for regular use.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

:ughh:

I agree some refinement would be nice for my STi, but they have done so well to keep the cars light over the years that I hope they can make up for the added glue and accouterments with their "lighter chassis" and (?) lighter motor. It looks like a magnum and a veloster with the current wide body rear fenders. Woof.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Artist rendering, remember.

The ATC was the best looking thing Subaru's come out with in ages.

SweetJuicyTaco
Jun 17, 2007
sour cream on my beef
I submit that the ATC looks like a dog dooky.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
It kind of looks like the Dodge Magnum, but more chunky.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

The ATC rules, guys.

At 180" long it's as long as the Impreza sedan so it's still not HUGE, it's just a wagon instead of a hatch.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

The windows look so tiny. Ugh rising beltlines.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

kylej posted:

Looks like a Dodge.

jamal/Subaru people, how's running an EWG on a daily driver? My tuner says they provide great results but can be a little... offputting for regular use.

Loud as poo poo. I get annoyed just taking a car with one around the block for a test drive. If you have it plumbed back into the downpipe it's not any louder but that's usually an hour or two of fabrication. And while it does make the turbine side more efficient, you are still blowing really hot air our of the compressor. So after buying the new up-pipe, ewg, and having dump tube fabbed you are pretty far toward a bigger turbo.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, the Legacy GT Wagon was axed due to low volume sales and subaru's reaction is to turn the WRX into a Legacy GT Wagon?

I'm not really feeling that concept at all.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

So I've made the drive from Florida to Kansas without any big problems, however now I'm seeing surging boost under full throttle.

It goes from eleven psi to fifteen and back, and you can feel a light surge as the pressure grows.

Is this because once I crossed the Mississippi I can only get 91 octane? I am stage two, but it was tuned conservatively by Wrar.

I don't notice anything under normal driving, but find out while on on ramps and such. No check engine light. Should I be in full panic mode, or can I likely wait, get a tactrix cable and post some logs?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Racecomp Engineering is looking for a tester for some new coilovers (I'm guessing the JRZ-based ones). Requirements are: be near RCE in MD, track your car frequently, have an 08+ wrx. If you meet these requirements and are interested let me know. Or let them know.

toplitzin posted:

can I likely wait, get a tactrix cable and post some logs?

That part. if you were overboosting and throwing the car into limp mode there's be a little cause for concern.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The map on there is for 91, you could probably reset the ECU and it should behave a little better in the meantime.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Got my 08 LGT back from Subaru after they rebuilt my "transfer case". They put in something like 12 new bearings in and now it is whisper quiet. I'm a little pissed though, because whatever gear oil they put in shifts like poo poo compared to the extra S I had in there.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Terminus Est posted:

Got my 08 LGT back from Subaru after they rebuilt my "transfer case". They put in something like 12 new bearings in and now it is whisper quiet. I'm a little pissed though, because whatever gear oil they put in shifts like poo poo compared to the extra S I had in there.

Putting new oil in there is cheaper than rebuilding it yourself, so don't complain.

If you would have specified before the service though.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Sockington posted:

Putting new oil in there is cheaper than rebuilding it yourself, so don't complain.

If you would have specified before the service though.

Oh, I'm quite happy about not footing the repair on this one.

I still have about 10 liters of extra S sitting at home so not a big deal, just a quiet hope that they would have used some decent oil on the re-fill. Its surprising the difference the oil makes on shift quality.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Terminus Est posted:

Oh, I'm quite happy about not footing the repair on this one.

I still have about 10 liters of extra S sitting at home so not a big deal, just a quiet hope that they would have used some decent oil on the re-fill. Its surprising the difference the oil makes on shift quality.

Extra-S isn't the OEM fill though, so they wouldn't have used it. I forget which car it's actually called for, but works great in all the models.

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.
^^ It's just in the later model STIs, isn't it?

I replaced the drivebelts on my 03 Legacy and came across a Subaru "quirk" I guess. I had to remove the shroud on the belts, and tightened all of the bolts down when I was done. Now, apparently there's a weird design flaw in there that lets air into the PS system if one of the bolts is tightened all the way down. I found this to explain it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ifANBSb8DA. My question is, is this a real thing? I backed the bolt up to give the shroud some play and flushed and replaced the PS fluid, and it's still pretty whiney. It sounds like whale sound. Is my power steering hosed or so I just "own a Subaru?"

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

jamal posted:

Loud as poo poo. I get annoyed just taking a car with one around the block for a test drive. If you have it plumbed back into the downpipe it's not any louder but that's usually an hour or two of fabrication. And while it does make the turbine side more efficient, you are still blowing really hot air our of the compressor. So after buying the new up-pipe, ewg, and having dump tube fabbed you are pretty far toward a bigger turbo.

thanks jamal. I think I'm just going to spend the money instead on an STi tranny swap because I am a mentally slow adult.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

The Jabberwocky posted:

^^ It's just in the later model STIs, isn't it?

I replaced the drivebelts on my 03 Legacy and came across a Subaru "quirk" I guess. I had to remove the shroud on the belts, and tightened all of the bolts down when I was done. Now, apparently there's a weird design flaw in there that lets air into the PS system if one of the bolts is tightened all the way down. I found this to explain it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ifANBSb8DA. My question is, is this a real thing? I backed the bolt up to give the shroud some play and flushed and replaced the PS fluid, and it's still pretty whiney. It sounds like whale sound. Is my power steering hosed or so I just "own a Subaru?"

No, that is not the problem. The problem is the hose between the reservoir and the pump. When the car gets older the hose gets hard and doesn't seal as well, so it sucks in air. You pretty much just need to look at it funny to get this to happen. New clamps is a good quick fix solution but the hose is only like $20 at the dealer so just replacing it, the clamps, and possibly the o-ring on the pump inlet fitting will solve the problem. It happens because that is the only part of the system that is under vacuum. So the tiniest leak is going to draw air into the pump.

Kylej (and anyone else), you can email me any time at peter at functionauto.com. Sometimes I don't see all the questions in this thread and don't check it constantly but the emails go directly to my phone so unless I am on my bike or asleep I will respond pretty much right away.

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.

jamal posted:

No, that is not the problem. The problem is the hose between the reservoir and the pump. When the car gets older the hose gets hard and doesn't seal as well, so it sucks in air. You pretty much just need to look at it funny to get this to happen. New clamps is a good quick fix solution but the hose is only like $20 at the dealer so just replacing it, the clamps, and possibly the o-ring on the pump inlet fitting will solve the problem. It happens because that is the only part of the system that is under vacuum. So the tiniest leak is going to draw air into the pump.

Good to know. I had read someone else saying something similar, but tried the other way fist since it was simpler and I am lazy.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I posted a while ago about getting new tires. I still haven't bought new tires, but when I started looking at the recommendations from earlier, I noticed that Seat Safety Switch linked 16 inch Conti DWSes, when my car has 15" wheels. Am I right in assuming that if I got those, I would need to buy new wheels to fit them on? What other differences would I notice? Is there a good resource to read up on this stuff so I don't have to keep asking a bunch of questions?

The car is a '99 Subaru Outback Sport, 205/60 r15 right now.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Welp, just put my deposit down on a 2012 Impreza Sedan! It'll be nice to replace my 2000 Impreza Sport wagon with something a little less falling apart.

Any advice for me and my new whip??

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I posted a while ago about getting new tires. I still haven't bought new tires, but when I started looking at the recommendations from earlier, I noticed that Seat Safety Switch linked 16 inch Conti DWSes, when my car has 15" wheels. Am I right in assuming that if I got those, I would need to buy new wheels to fit them on? What other differences would I notice? Is there a good resource to read up on this stuff so I don't have to keep asking a bunch of questions?

The car is a '99 Subaru Outback Sport, 205/60 r15 right now.

You would need new rims. Find stock size tires and you can keep your rims.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Dammit. Almost wondering at this point if I should just buy new rims, since there are so few 205/60R15s.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I need a new front left axel. The inner CV boot decided to quit and dump greasy goodness away from the joint.

Thanks Jamal.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Dammit. Almost wondering at this point if I should just buy new rims, since there are so few 205/60R15s.
On my Outback Sport (which takes the same hard to find tire size) I went with 195/60/15 width tires for the winter. There are other 15" options which won't throw your speedo off very much (195/65/15, 215/60/15) but they may be difficult to find tires for.

You should be able to jump up to a 16" wheel and run 205/55/16 (standard size for 02-05 WRX) with only a small speedometer difference (0.78% slow) and get the benefit of a whole crapton of suddenly available performance and touring tires. Used 02-05 WRX wheels are pretty light and fairly available/cheap. 215/45/17 (standard 06 WRX size) is also within reason if you want to really get a short sidewall and go up to a 17" wheel.

Cutting the sidewall height is going to impact your ride quality slightly (I swear most of the ability of my OBS to swallow bumps is due to the tall tires) but it will probably improve your cornering performance by allowing the sidewalls to be stiffer.

You can play around with "comparable" tire sizes by trying out this tire size calculator.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 20, 2012

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

tehschulman posted:

Welp, just put my deposit down on a 2012 Impreza Sedan! It'll be nice to replace my 2000 Impreza Sport wagon with something a little less falling apart.

Any advice for me and my new whip??

Enjoy it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I might just go for those 16" wheels, since that makes replacements down the road a hell of a lot easier too. This car is either going to be with me or my little brother pretty much until it stops running, so long haul stuff seems worth it to me. New tires are going to swallow bumps a lot better than my old worn out ones even with the shorter sidewall, right?

The Legacies also frequently have 16" wheels, right? Is there anything particularly good about the 16" WRX wheels over the Legacy ones, or would I be fine with either? I need to stop by a junkyard soon anyway, I could look for wheels while I'm there.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
wheel talk? I know it would be very poser-ish but gottdamn I would love the RC-G4s in Gold in 17s :( Enkei only produces them in 15 inches.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I wanted to get a set in 15" but they're pretty friggin' expensive. I guess I'll just stick with my usual routine of buying OEM takeoff wheels until another store selling used Speedlines opens up near me. :(

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I might just go for those 16" wheels, since that makes replacements down the road a hell of a lot easier too. This car is either going to be with me or my little brother pretty much until it stops running, so long haul stuff seems worth it to me. New tires are going to swallow bumps a lot better than my old worn out ones even with the shorter sidewall, right?
The difference probably isn't that noticeable, you can play around with tire pressures to make up for it. Stuff like the Contis is pretty optimized for ride comfort anyway so I wouldn't be surprised if they are much more comfortable.

quote:

The Legacies also frequently have 16" wheels, right? Is there anything particularly good about the 16" WRX wheels over the Legacy ones, or would I be fine with either? I need to stop by a junkyard soon anyway, I could look for wheels while I'm there.
I suggested WRX wheels since they seem to come up all the time, but 16" Legacy/Outback/Impreza/Forester wheels would be just fine as well.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 20, 2012

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad

kylej posted:

wheel talk? I know it would be very poser-ish but gottdamn I would love the RC-G4s in Gold in 17s :( Enkei only produces them in 15 inches.

You could check out the RC-T4, it comes in 17 and 18 plus it's a tarmac wheel so technically not being a poser.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The difference probably isn't that noticeable, you can play around with tire pressures to make up for it. Stuff like the Contis is pretty optimized for ride comfort anyway so I wouldn't be surprised if they are much more comfortable.
I suggested WRX wheels since they seem to come up all the time, but 16" Legacy/Outback/Impreza/Forester wheels would be just fine as well.
Okay. Where do you tend to see the WRX wheels popping up a lot? Craigslist around here seems to be mostly people going "Hey, pay $200/ea for my lovely chrome rims".

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Mostly the local Subaru club, though I'm sure NASIOC has no end of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Jabberwocky
May 31, 2006

At least it worked.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Okay. Where do you tend to see the WRX wheels popping up a lot? Craigslist around here seems to be mostly people going "Hey, pay $200/ea for my lovely chrome rims".

I've got a set of 16" Legacy snowflakes in my basement if you want them. And don't live in Canadia like Seat Safety Switch (holding a grudge about that, by the way SSS :colbert:)