Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

I decided to re-plastidip the grill on the Civic Si, but halfway through I realized I didn't have another can of black to complete the job so in the meantime I sprayed it with gold metallizer. It's silly looking, but stupid things make me happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Finally installed my 3.38 LSD with 40% lockup and had my tires put on new wheels. I thought I'd hate the black, but it actually doesn't look completely terrible in person.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Earlier in the week I found out over the previous tank my 87 B2000 shitbox somehow got 26.7 mpg. Previous record was 25.0, typical was 23-24. It's a Christmas miracle!

rowebot44
Feb 21, 2006
I started the processes of rebuilding the 250 for my sisters nova by pulling it out of the car.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

rowebot44 posted:

I started the processes of rebuilding the 250 for my sisters nova by pulling it out of the car.

I spend a fair amount of time at work during the week, checking Craigslist hoping to find the right beater 2door 3rd gen Nova. Easily one of my top three cars.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Through liberal application of a (resin) hammer, the new fuel pump has been installed into the gas tank.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Replaced the dash bulbs. Found out the po left two of the bottom screws for the gauges out. Then found out my brake bulb burnt out and replaced that. THen found the PO left more screws missing. And in the RTV chat you really need to let it sit and dry if your going to use it with a coolant related product. At work we will let it sit for a few hours if on steel and overnight sometimes with aluminum.

mellodroid
Oct 31, 2012
Replaced oil seal and o-ring on my Accord's distributor. The PO apparently noticed the oil leak too and rather than fix the problem they just put liquid gasket wherever they saw fit. That was fun to clean up.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I redid the grounds on my Corvair's headlight buckets and clocked myself in the face pulling the spring holding in the low beam on one side. Nearly broke my nose. Then I broke off the power tab on one of the high beams pulling the connector. I grabbed a beer and retired to the computer to order some parts as I am far too dumb to be working on poo poo now.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There is nothing better to induce clarity than hitting yourself had enough to cry a little.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I had a coworker drop something relatively light on my hand by accident today - probably half a pound?

It hit EXACTLY where I had an IV a week ago, so it's still sore as poo poo (in that spot, the IV came out of the vein at one point, which hurt like hell - anytime I have an IV, they have to put in a new one every day because my veins suck rear end - sometimes twice a day).

Wasn't sure if I should cry, scream, or punch him in the nuts. I had a total of 4 IVs while I was there (2 in each hand), my hands are still sore enough that just washing them is still painful.

(also it did not induce clarity)

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Got my car back from the paint shop. Front end repainted, hatch spoiler painted and installed, and new rear bumper cover painted and installed. Previous owner beat this car's exterior, so I am doing my best to make it look nice again. Also had them paint the cheap grey plastic instrument panel surround in phantom black. New grille, fog light housings and 3000K fog bulbs as well.

Once I got it home, I put my new (to me) 20x10.5 CH-R's on it, as well as some other goodies.

Exhaust & sways arrive this week. Might try to add a high-flow cat onto my order as well.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

After a bunch of drunken deliberation, I ordered a set of these puppies for the Corvair.

Along with a bunch of grommets and boots for sealing up various leaky bits. I want all of the linkages I rebuilt to last a while.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Crustashio posted:

I thought I'd hate the black, but it actually doesn't look completely terrible in person.

Looks nice. Why those wheels? Weight? I'm still rocking the DSIIs but I've been looking at other options as well.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Weight and price. They are 19lbs each, 17x8.5. If you're in the states they're 145 each on tirerack. I put my square DSII set up as a feeler and got $450 for pretty curbed ones.

I keep the really lightweight stuff for autoX/time attack. I've got a set of kosei K1s and Dforce LTW5s.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Forester:
Installed new wiper linkage. Holy gently caress, the wipers don't flop around like a fish out of water anymore!
Installed junkyard throttle position sensor. Fixed most of the issue I was having (weird stuttering and lack of power when launching, occasional missing and lack of power when cruising) after dinking around with adjusting it, did not fix all of it.
Discovered fuel filter is leaking gas, so I parked it because I can't remember if my insurance policy has fire/theft on it right now.

Justy:
Finally unloaded the spare front drive hubs, rear struts, alternator, front calipers, and engine from the trunk, drove it to Maine. 28mpg on the last tank, 29mpg on this one. Need to put my new O2 sensor in... brought it to the shop to get the new tires mounted and balanced because this happened on the way to Maine:

The funny part? When I picked it up in Colorado, we hit the junkyard and got a spare for it since it didn't have one. Specs the spare fit:
- round
- has tread on it
- holds air
- on a wheel with a 4x100 bolt pattern that doesn't interfere with the suspension

Did a double take when I checked that the spare was in the trunk after they put the tires on because guess what? It's a Kumho Solus KR21 155/80R13. So are the four I just had put on. That wasn't intentional. How come I can never find a matched fourth tire in a junkyard to replace a blown one, even if I check 3 yards for a month, but accidentally buy a matched fifth without even looking at it?

pjhalifax
May 29, 2004

love boat captain
Put new pads and rotors on my 2000 9-3. gently caress rusted-on rotors. Everyone told me the stupid index screws would derail this job and they came out so easy I thought I’d be done by lunch. Nope. It took all day and blood was shed…somehow I stabbed myself in the forehead with needle nose pliers when I was trying to get a retaining spring in place.

But hey, shiny new rotors and at least I didn’t stab my eyeball.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Bled the brakes & clutch hydraulics on my Focus today, bringing it one step closer to being back on the road. The fluid that came out of the clutch hydraulics was 9 years old and pretty nasty. Was also able to start the engine for the first time in almost a year without having to push the clutch interlock switch manually - the reservoir was empty and pushing the pedal would have ingested air into the clutch hydraulics, which is notoriously difficult to bleed on this car.

If you don't have one I highly suggest a power bleeder, start to finish on all four corners plus the clutch was less than an hour and the pedal is as firm as something right off the production line.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

A Megan Racing muffler arrived today for the X5M, so I took it and my kiddo to a shop to get it welded up:

The blue tips are fun. The Megan part weighs easily something like ... maybe 40 lbs less than the stock suitcase unit? Crazy. It sounds decent too, and under throttle there's a distinctive whoosh that wasn't there before. Maybe downpipes are next.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Commodore_64 posted:

After a bunch of drunken deliberation, I ordered a set of these puppies for the Corvair.

SHINY AND CHROME

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Geoj posted:

If you don't have one I highly suggest a power bleeder, start to finish on all four corners plus the clutch was less than an hour and the pedal is as firm as something right off the production line.

For aaaaages i thought about getting one and never did anything about then, then one day saw how cheap they actually are (£45 for mine) and bought one.

Why didn't i do this sooner??? They're like a gift direct from the car gods, one of my best tool purchases, bleeding awkward clutch hydraulics has never been so easy.

Tremek posted:

A Megan Racing muffler arrived today for the X5M, so I took it and my kiddo to a shop to get it welded up:

:getin:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Applied Aquapel to all the glass from one applicator (tiny miata windows). No photos since it's pretty much invisible and it hasn't rained yet.

Do they need any special care from now on, or can be washed and cleaned as usual?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Changed out the radiator cap. Still waiting on that new thermostat seal, but it seems the leak has been going away since the housing swap. Maybe it just needs time to settle in before it seals completely. :shrug:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

mobby_6kl posted:

Applied Aquapel to all the glass from one applicator (tiny miata windows). No photos since it's pretty much invisible and it hasn't rained yet.

Do they need any special care from now on, or can be washed and cleaned as usual?

Seems like you can wash and clean them as usual.

I've found prepping the glass well before goes a long way to increasing longevity of the treatment - I usually wash with high quality glass cleaner, then clay bar the glass, then wash again and buff afterwards with clean microfiber. Then apply. I usually get at least 4 months out of a single application after the above process.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
I bought a C7 Z51. Signing the papers counts as "doing" right? It's coming in this week.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

shodanjr_gr posted:

I bought a C7 Z51. Signing the papers counts as "doing" right? It's coming in this week.

:circlefap:

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Finally got around to doing part of the drop and taking pictures after letting it settle. The before picture isn't the best but the after shows how it's leveled out. I only threw in the rear springs because I'm lazy and it keeps it level instead of raked stance since in the Eibach setup, the front springs drop 0.8" and the installed rears drop 1.1". Unless the rear settles another quarter inch I'll probably keep the stock fronts. Also I have a new Borla axle-back installed but it's a bit too loud for the family in the back seat so I have a pair of small resonators getting cut in sometime this week. Should mellow out the cabin resonance when there's a light load at low RPMs which happens a lot with 8 gears and tons of torque. Almost forgot that it now it's back to the wide summer tires on a new set of different style OEM wheels.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Got the new thermostat gasket in and swapped it. Pretty easy apart from the torx screws (ford why?) holding the housing together.

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011

Jymmybob posted:

Finally got around to doing part of the drop and taking pictures after letting it settle. The before picture isn't the best but the after shows how it's leveled out. I only threw in the rear springs because I'm lazy and it keeps it level instead of raked stance since in the Eibach setup, the front springs drop 0.8" and the installed rears drop 1.1". Unless the rear settles another quarter inch I'll probably keep the stock fronts. Also I have a new Borla axle-back installed but it's a bit too loud for the family in the back seat so I have a pair of small resonators getting cut in sometime this week. Should mellow out the cabin resonance when there's a light load at low RPMs which happens a lot with 8 gears and tons of torque. Almost forgot that it now it's back to the wide summer tires on a new set of different style OEM wheels.

I originally thought you had a challenger or charger from the engine shot but this is way better. I hope the rear settles for you cause they look so good low with just a teensy bit of rake.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'd have left it alone if you ever have rear passengers or cargo. Looks nice, though.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
I'm not worried about bottoming out or anything since they're such a mild drop and progressive springs but it still has just enough rake that it'll sit flat with a normal load. If it droops too much I'll just put the front springs on and get another 3/4 inch off the front but it's a harder job and I don't want to start scraping stuff.

Plan B on toning down the minor drone in the exhaust is going to be some soundproofing and filling empty areas in the back with sound adsorbing material. I have a big blanket I use for covering dirty cargo and padding the interior that I stuffed in gaps around the spare to save space and it made a noticeable difference in the resonance. Maybe there's still hope without cutting up the exhaust more. I wish someone would come out with a j-piped exhaust for the current SRT JCGs like the previous gen since there's tons of free space back there.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The old powerstroke has been sitting for a good 8 months. threw an old car battery in expecting to have to put a battery charger on it to get it started, but nope, fired right up with one battery about half the size of one of the two batteries it normally has.

That thing is way more awesome than it has any right to be, now i just gotta figure out what i want to do with it.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.
Put it on a hauler to send to Elgin, IL. Flying to Chicago tomorrow, pick it up (along with the 2 others there) and we're off to Madison, WI for the start of the Hot Rod Power Tour. Fun!

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
Today i installed a totally-neccessary 28" LED lightbar on the front of my van.

My van now does a good Riff Raff impression with its shiny diamond grill, y0.

Just waiting for it to get dark to witness it's full retina-destroying power.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

I actually knew a guy with a Subaru who installed super-bright lights behind his rear license plate. He had a switch that would lower the plate down and then anyone tailgating him at night would essentially be staring at the sun. I'm not condoning it, but it was an interesting (if not expensive, illegal, and complicated) way to discourage tailgaters.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Count Freebasie posted:

I actually knew a guy with a Subaru who installed super-bright lights behind his rear license plate. He had a switch that would lower the plate down and then anyone tailgating him at night would essentially be staring at the sun. I'm not condoning it, but it was an interesting (if not expensive, illegal, and complicated) way to discourage tailgaters.

I have LED work/reverse and flashing warning lights on my tow bar that are run off a switch on the dash. Not nearly as bright as this light bar, but bright enough to get rid of tailgaters. Also, the alternating strobe make them seem brighter, and at night they're bright as gently caress. In the daytime, meh, they make you very visible for warning people but won't do much to stop tailgaters.

Unfortunately there's not much around here that's unlit and the phone doesn't quite capture just how bright this light bar is.

I mean, in the daytime it's bright, but in darkness it turns night into day. Now i want one for the car as well.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Set out to do this to my brother's MS3 today:

...but instead it had other plans!

If you can't tell, there's the remains of a sheared-off bolt in the top-left hole, which is where the swaybar shackle mounts. Had to drop the entire subframe so we could drill the bolt out and re-tap it. Had to leave the car in pieces in my father in law's extra garage bay, hopefully I'll be able to get it back together tomorrow since all the damage that can be done has been done.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

I got a foam gun.

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

DropShadow posted:

I got a foam gun.

I have no idea what I'm doing.

It's a sexy car, but.. drat dude..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

DropShadow posted:

I got a foam gun.