Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

effika posted:

I'll let others answer the manga part, but the Kindle is great for reading at night in the dark.

Silly Burrito posted:

Just kinda depends on the manga, do you prefer black and white or color? But for regular e-books, a Paperwhite is perfectly fine for reading at night in the dark.

I've tried reading regular comics on there, and honestly, I prefer an iPad or those. YMMV, but lots of people do read b&w manga on there.

Branch Nvidian posted:

I think the paperwhite’s screen is just a little too small to make reading comics and manga pleasurable. Any other kind of reading it’s great, and my only complaint is the lack of page-turn buttons (it’s just touchscreen). The Signature Edition has wireless charging and larger storage.

Thanks for the replies. I don't have a preference for manga in bw or color. Is there another e-reader I should look at if I want something that can do regular ebooks and manga or should I just accept that I should use something else for manga? Is the signature edition worth the extra money? The larger storage and auto light thing seems good. I don't mind hearing recommendations for other e-readers in general if you guys have them. I'm new to all this. Thanks again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Ryuga Death posted:

Thanks for the replies. I don't have a preference for manga in bw or color. Is there another e-reader I should look at if I want something that can do regular ebooks and manga or should I just accept that I should use something else for manga? Is the signature edition worth the extra money? The larger storage and auto light thing seems good. I don't mind hearing recommendations for other e-readers in general if you guys have them. I'm new to all this. Thanks again.

There are Kobo readers now that do color (https://us.kobobooks.com/products/kobo-libra-colour, https://us.kobobooks.com/collections/ereaders/products/kobo-clara-colour) but it depends on whether you want to use the Amazon ecosystem or not, so that might help a bit. But I just like the size of the iPad for comics.

My current eReader is a Kobo Libra 2. I've had a Kindle, a Kindle Voyager, Kindle Oasis, Kindle paperwhite, an Onyx Boox, and now the Libra 2. Personally, I like my Libra 2 the best, but I loved my Oasis before the screen broke. I like physical turn buttons, some people prefer that, others don't. Plus, the Kobo integration with my local library is nice and you can check out books directly on the device.

Amazon is running a sale now where you can trade in an old piece of Amazon equipment and get 20% off of a new Kindle plus the value of the equipment. I had an old Fire TV stick, traded it in, and got the cheapest Kindle available with three months of Kindle Unlimited for $60+tax. The main reason I got that was for Kindle Unlimited alone. Every now and then I can get a free three month trial and I load up, read all I can, and then cancel.

tl;dr All that blathering to say, if you want to be in the Amazon ecosystem, the Paperwhite is currently the best buy. Otherwise, I'd get a Kobo Libra 2 or Libra Color. If you don't like reading manga on it, consider a tablet.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

how is note taking on the kobo colour? a local vendor just announced they're bringing it in and its a solid like 400 ringgit cheaper than the super note nomad

i understand it won't be as robust as supernotes system but wondering if it passes the good enough threshold for like ideating - idle sketching and i can access it via cloud somehow

the few reviews i have seen don't really talk about it so much as the pen

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Ryuga Death posted:

I’ve switched entirely to the Kobo Libra Colour, but I can say having the light sensor on the Kindle is nice because of the process to get to the light settings on Kindle is much more annoying than on the Kobo. Wireless charging is a nice-to-have, but the battery lasts so long that even having to plug it in was never an issue. The extra storage is nice if you do decide to put manga/comics or audio books on it.

My Paperwhite is sitting completely unused at this point, so if you’re fine with something that’s used, but still in very good condition, I’ll see if I can make you a deal.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Ryuga Death posted:

The 8 inch screen on the kobo forma works well for manga in my experience but it's also just fine for regular books, which is mostly what I use it for. It looks like Amazon doesn't sell any e-readers with more than a ~6.8 inch screen besides the huge Kindle Scribe which is probably gonna be more impractical for just normal reading purposes.

I got my forma as a refurb from Kobo directly for a good price, although they only have 8gb storage versions available. That said 8gb is still plenty, books take up nearly 0 space and you can fit thousands of chapters of manga in there too. That's enough for multiple complete series, though maybe not enough to have a full run of everything you're thinking about maybe reading in the future.

That said you might find it more convenient to get a cheap android tablet for manga uses thanks to handy manga reading apps like Tachiyomi/Mihon. (You won't get the advantage of an e-ink screen that way though.) Or you could get one of the android-powered e-readers from Boox, but it looks like their only 7.8inch screen option is pretty pricy.

As for the paperwhite signature edition: Those features don't sound crazy to me.
More storage is nice to have but probably won't be a gamechanger.
Amazon's auto-brightness is pretty dang useless unless they've changed it in the last few years since I had my kindle oasis. It turned the backlight up in bright light and down in darkness, which is the exact opposite of what you want for an e-ink display. I want 0 backlight when I'm reading in daylight, since the screen reads just like a paper book page and is perfectly legible and there's no reason to use extra battery. Then I wanna turn the light up to around 10-15% when I'm reading in the shade or in a dark room at night.
Wireless charging could be nice if you're like me and read in bed at night since when you wanna go to sleep you can just put it on the dock instead of fiddling with a cable. But my ereader only needs a charge once per week or so.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 12, 2024

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I have a Kindle Paperwhite that I've been using to almost exclusivity read manga for a few years. I've read One Piece, One Punch Man, Chainsaw Man, Hunter X Hunter and a few others all without problems.

+ Backlight
+ Adjustable brightness and warmth
+ Physically light enough
+ Fairly long battery life
+ Relativity inexpensive (I got mine for $80 new with no trade-in, no ads)

- Mangas take up a lot of space, you're going to want to upgrade to the larger size if you want more than ~15 volumes at a time
- Sometimes the art is really cramped and if a text bubble is very small you're going to have to zoom in. It does not happen very often.
- The Kindle is slow, refresh is slow (I noticed that if you're close to the max storage, the kindle will freeze up a lot of the time.
- Page spreads are not pretty on this thing. OPM has a lot of double page spreads and it would be nicer if I could zoom all the way out.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

Just wanted to say thanks for the info shared here. Opinions and info on stuff that I didn't think of or that I couldn't find from a google search.

Went to a best buy today to see a paperwhite kindle in person and it seems very nice. The whole e-ink thing looks strange in person since it really does look like paper.

obi_ant, are you suggesting I opt for the 32gb paperwhite signature? Assuming I don't just settle on an android tablet later on.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Ryuga Death posted:

obi_ant, are you suggesting I opt for the 32gb paperwhite signature? Assuming I don't just settle on an android tablet later on.

I borrow a lot of books at a single time through Libby. I do this because I only have time to read at night and if it ends on a cliffhanger, I do not want to pull up Libby on my phone, look for the book, pray that a copy is available, borrow it, go to Amazon, send it to my Kindle then finally download it on my Kindle. It is a long process and I just want to get to the next chapter. So I download a lot of books in the series at once. Some times I'll be reading 5 series at once and I'll download about 5 books from each series. Note that I only have an 8gb model. My experience is that when I'm close to using 8gb, the Kindle freezes a lot; I'll get white blank pages, nothing is responsive and I'll have to reset the Kindle. When I started finishing more books, the issue never occurred again. So now I delete books whenever I'm done. I you don't plan to use it the way I do, I think a smaller size would be fine. If I had to make the choice again, I would purchase the larger one.

Edit: I didn't find I needed the upgrade in what the Signature had to offer. I don't need the wireless charging and I don't think the auto brightness is useful (I don't even use the feature on my phone). I think the Kindle Paperwhite 16gb or the Kindle Paperwhite 16gb Kids is enough.

Kids version, they give you a case *and* you have the option to go add free. If you never activate the free kids version or whatever, they don't have ads on your Kindle. I forget the actual steps, but it was stupidly easy.

obi_ant fucked around with this message at 05:01 on May 14, 2024

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Just wanted to pop in and say that I picked up a Libra Colour as my first ever e-reader and it's been awesome. Got about 25 hours of reading on it so far and I've had no problems with brightness or contrast. I've kept it at 15% brightness and +2 natural light and it's been great in every situation. Reading comics on it works okay, I've found I need to use the double tap to zoom quite often, but I think if you were to do some extra work cropping individual comics to remove any margins you could maybe get away without needing to zoom. Taking notes on it is actually a lot nicer than I had anticipated. It feels way more natural than writing on a glass screen and the notebook backgrounds give you a lot of options. There are some odd things that I imagine could be worked out with updates, like not being able to add written notes to book highlights.

Can't really say much about the Kobo store because everything I've read on it has been from my own ebook collection. I've definitely learned a ton about Calibre and painstakingly converting PDFs to EPUB via cascades of regex substitutions. I find it very satisfying to take a badly formatted PDF and turn it into a well formatted EPUB file.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

CRAYON posted:

if you were to do some extra work cropping individual comics to remove any margins

there's a tool called Kindle Comic Converter that does this, among other things like shrinking image resolutions to match your screen/zoom settings to avoid wasting space
and no it's not just for kindles, it also does kobo kepub format and other stuff

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

CRAYON posted:

Can't really say much about the Kobo store because everything I've read on it has been from my own ebook collection. I've definitely learned a ton about Calibre and painstakingly converting PDFs to EPUB via cascades of regex substitutions. I find it very satisfying to take a badly formatted PDF and turn it into a well formatted EPUB file.

Indeed, although if you have a badly formatted PDF you might find using OEF software an easier way to do the conversion (and if the PDF is already digital, so much the better).

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
FYI on Kindles... the cover ads are now just 100% AI generated spam books. So if you are buying a Kindle you'll either want to buy the ad free version or attempt to play support roulette and get them to remove ads for free.

I was able to get it removed for free after complaining about this poo poo being inappropriate for kids:

Zero One fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 14, 2024

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Apparently it's been happening for months. I'm finding articles from Futurism and ZDNet from back in at least March about the AI-generated book garbage on Kindles. The idea that Amazon needs to subsidize the cost of a Kindle at this point with ads on the lock screen is patently ridiculous.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

I got a Libra Colour to replace my 10th gen Paperwhite and escape the Amazon ecosystem.

Discovering I could customise it to the point where I can run shell scripts from the reading menu and automatically sync it with calibre-web has been a pleasant bonus.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Ugh that sucks. Glad I was able to jailbreak my Voyage - I haven't seen an ad since I installed KOReader.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Ugh that sucks. Glad I was able to jailbreak my Voyage - I haven't seen an ad since I installed KOReader.

My husband (on a Kindle Paperwhite 3) thought he'd gotten a virus or that Amazon had been hacked because all he saw were those creepy AI ads. Those might convince him to jump over to Kobo with me.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Zero One posted:

FYI on Kindles... the cover ads are now just 100% AI generated spam books. So if you are buying a Kindle you'll either want to buy the ad free version or attempt to play support roulette and get them to remove ads for free.

I was able to get it removed for free after complaining about this poo poo being inappropriate for kids:

I used the same inappropriate for kids to get the ads removed from my Oasis when I bought it. I don’t feel bad because I wasn’t lying, at the time it would show romance novel covers that I didn’t want to have to explain to my daughter before we started her bedtime story. I wonder how often Kindle support gets that exact call and what the success rate for getting them to remove the ads is.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Makes me glad I made that impulse buy of a 1st gen Kobo at Borders back in 2010 and never got involved with Amazon's e-book/reader ecosystem, good lord. Though browsing the Kobo store is its own kind of hell, for some reason it really wants me to buy YA romance novels when my purchase history is nothing but hard SF, cyberpunk, horror, and nonfiction. Also the weird scammy "summary editions" of things I'm searching for, or just random unrelated poo poo in searches in general.

Am I alone in missing the old Kobo form factor of a d-pad on the bottom right corner? Not that particular d-pad which was pretty poo poo, but with a quality d-pad I'd prefer that form factor over the Libra's.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Got my replacement Kobo Libra Colour, no pinhole in the screen this time. :toot:

I was sort of sweating because of some unfortunate soul on the r/Kobo subreddit claimed they're on their 4th one that has it. Now I can enjoy this device a bit more before I make the call to keep it or not.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

d0s posted:

Makes me glad I made that impulse buy of a 1st gen Kobo at Borders back in 2010 and never got involved with Amazon's e-book/reader ecosystem, good lord. Though browsing the Kobo store is its own kind of hell, for some reason it really wants me to buy YA romance novels when my purchase history is nothing but hard SF, cyberpunk, horror, and nonfiction. Also the weird scammy "summary editions" of things I'm searching for, or just random unrelated poo poo in searches in general.

Am I alone in missing the old Kobo form factor of a d-pad on the bottom right corner? Not that particular d-pad which was pretty poo poo, but with a quality d-pad I'd prefer that form factor over the Libra's.

Not familiar with the d-pad that was on older Kobos, but I have missed the d-bad that was on the Kindle 3/Keyboard. I do sometimes wish ereaders would go back to just using hardware keys instead of touchscreens.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

there's a tool called Kindle Comic Converter that does this, among other things like shrinking image resolutions to match your screen/zoom settings to avoid wasting space
and no it's not just for kindles, it also does kobo kepub format and other stuff

I haven't been able to get KCC's cropping options to do anything. Tried a few different combinations and it didn't seem to change anything.

Rand Brittain posted:

Indeed, although if you have a badly formatted PDF you might find using OEF software an easier way to do the conversion (and if the PDF is already digital, so much the better).

Could you give an example of software you like for this? I've found the PDF editor landscape is like 90% online tools and the rest seem of dubious quality while costing money.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

CRAYON posted:

Could you give an example of software you like for this? I've found the PDF editor landscape is like 90% online tools and the rest seem of dubious quality while costing money.

A good question. I've always used Abbyy's FineReader, but they've gone subscription recently and may not be a good choice for someone who only does a couple of scans a year.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Zero One posted:

This is offensive and invasive. But then again, all ads are.

Airplane mode and sideloaded books on my Kindle from day one, I've never seen a single ad.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

CRAYON posted:

I haven't been able to get KCC's cropping options to do anything. Tried a few different combinations and it didn't seem to change anything.

As far as I can tell the only option that affects cropping behavior is the device selection dropdown menu:

It should automatically crop out margins etc based on the selected device's screen size / aspect ratio.
That means there might still be some white at the edges in the resulting epub -- it won't remove all of it, just enough to get the page to fit neatly on the selected ereader's screen. So there shouldn't be margins left at both the top/bottom and the sides. Unless you pick a non-matching device with the wrong screen shape.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
PDF Arranger is good for cropping a lot of pages at once. I've used it to clean up scans and bad PDF ebooks. Available for Windows and Linux.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
if your ebook is in pdf format something has already gone very wrong. good luck and may god have mercy on your soul

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

d0s posted:

I love my Libra 2 but the sleepcover drives me nuts. When it's folded back during reading it sometimes puts the reader to sleep if you grip it a certain way or just randomly for no apparent reason. Problem is, I really like the grip with it on so I don't want to go without or change it for a different type. I wonder if mine is just defective or does everyone's official (origami style) sleepcover do the same?

d0s posted:

It's dumb but I don't like that the fintie is made of TPU rubber, and the way it curves up around the top edge on the button side. I may try ordering another official sleepcover, and just return it if the same thing happens. I got mine right at launch so maybe it's been tweaked since then.

Update on this, getting a new sleepcover totally fixed the problem. Plus the red looks a lot better than the light blue one I had

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Doing some looking into how to improve the saturation of the Libra Colour (should apply to Clara Colour as well), and if from the home page you search "devmodeon," you can go to More > Settings > Device Information > Developer Options > go down one page and change the "CFA Mode." Selecting the "S" modes seems to boost color saturation, and S9 make colors look much better in my opinion. I haven't played around with it enough really yet to see if there are negatives to turning this on, but if you read a lot of comics/manga or other things that make use of the color screen then you might want to turn it on.

Trainee PornStar
Jul 20, 2006

I'm just an inbetweener

Silly Burrito posted:

tl;dr All that blathering to say, if you want to be in the Amazon ecosystem, the Paperwhite is currently the best buy.

Not quite true, you can easily use kindle via the desktop app, grab the old version (easy to google & find a download) & you can point calibre at the book cache to import the books, then transfer to your ereader of choice.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Trainee PornStar posted:

Not quite true, you can easily use kindle via the desktop app, grab the old version (easy to google & find a download) & you can point calibre at the book cache to import the books, then transfer to your ereader of choice.

Even the newer books? I remember trying to fiddle with that a while back to get some of my newer Amazon purchases onto my Kobo and even using the plugin it didn't work. Admittedly I didn't try very hard because I had already read the books, but I could swear that Amazon had come out with some sort of newer DRM.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Silly Burrito posted:

Even the newer books? I remember trying to fiddle with that a while back to get some of my newer Amazon purchases onto my Kobo and even using the plugin it didn't work. Admittedly I didn't try very hard because I had already read the books, but I could swear that Amazon had come out with some sort of newer DRM.

Can confirm my workflow is still working, but it is based on owning a Kindle e-reader already - go to the Amazon "Digital Content" page and download the book "for" a specific Kindle with a specific serial number, to "transfer via USB".

So that method only works if you switch to Kobo (or whatever) but leave your old Kindle in a drawer, don't wipe it and pass it on to someone.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Bobstar posted:

Can confirm my workflow is still working, but it is based on owning a Kindle e-reader already - go to the Amazon "Digital Content" page and download the book "for" a specific Kindle with a specific serial number, to "transfer via USB".

So that method only works if you switch to Kobo (or whatever) but leave your old Kindle in a drawer, don't wipe it and pass it on to someone.

Ah ok, I'm pretty sure I've added and removed my older Kindles from Amazon a ton of times, but I'd have to look and see if I still have it somewhere around here.

Trainee PornStar
Jul 20, 2006

I'm just an inbetweener

Silly Burrito posted:

Yep not found anything I cant turn into an epub yet, kindleunlimited works as well.
This does not use 'transfer via usb' downloads as you are grabbing stuff out of the (old version) kindle app's cache.

I'll not post instructions here as I'm sure it's against the rules but its not hard to google.

One tip though... When you actually install said 'old version' turn your networking off as it'll automatically update during install, once installed, turn off automatic updates & your good to go.

Trainee PornStar
Jul 20, 2006

I'm just an inbetweener

Trainee PornStar posted:

Yep not found anything I cant turn into an epub yet, kindleunlimited works as well.
This does not use 'transfer via usb' downloads as you are grabbing stuff out of the (old version) kindle app's cache.

I'll not post instructions here as I'm sure it's against the rules but its not hard to google.

One tip though... When you actually install said 'old version' turn your networking off as it'll automatically update during install, once installed, turn off automatic updates & your good to go.

*edit*

Cough, cough, something, something, version 2.2.0, cough, hack, cough.

*edit 2*

how the gently caress did i quote? I clicked edit..

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Trainee PornStar posted:

Trainee PornStar posted:

*edit*

Cough, cough, something, something, version 2.2.0, cough, hack, cough.

*edit 2*

how the gently caress did i quote? I clicked edit..

:tipshat:

Take care of that cough, it sounds nasty.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Yeah just save a copy of the install exe somewhere safe if you need to reinstall. I've had it update itself on me even if I swear I've got auto updates off. And keep the plugin up to date in calibre and it should be pretty painless.

Trainee PornStar
Jul 20, 2006

I'm just an inbetweener

Mercury Hat posted:

Yeah just save a copy of the install exe somewhere safe if you need to reinstall. I've had it update itself on me even if I swear I've got auto updates off. And keep the plugin up to date in calibre and it should be pretty painless.

I too have a local copy just to be safe but this link is useful.
https://kindle-for-pc.en.uptodown.com/windows/versions

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I’ve got a bunch of new fonts installed on my (latest gen) Oasis yet none of them are showing up after a restart. Any ideas?

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

Branch Nvidian posted:

Doing some looking into how to improve the saturation of the Libra Colour (should apply to Clara Colour as well), and if from the home page you search "devmodeon," you can go to More > Settings > Device Information > Developer Options > go down one page and change the "CFA Mode." Selecting the "S" modes seems to boost color saturation, and S9 make colors look much better in my opinion. I haven't played around with it enough really yet to see if there are negatives to turning this on, but if you read a lot of comics/manga or other things that make use of the color screen then you might want to turn it on.

I tried this out a bit. The S9 setting appears to have some dithering and lose some detail over the default setting to my eyes. It does look more saturated overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Tried a few options myself and so far I'm liking G2.