Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

EC posted:

I got the C8 today, and after a quick run to the hardware store to get longer mounting screws, everything seems to be working great. Games are fuckin gorgeous. All of the first party Sony stuff is so good looking I can't believe it.
It really is an experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Oh motherfucker.

I wrestled this 65" bastard into my vehicle, out of my vehicle into my house, and then got it unpacked and set up only to find the legs are too loving wide for the table I've been using as a stand. :argh:

Now I'm hoping to find a place that has stands locally so I don't have to wait 2 days to watch my tv or use my PC.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Oh motherfucker.

I wrestled this 65" bastard into my vehicle, out of my vehicle into my house, and then got it unpacked and set up only to find the legs are too loving wide for the table I've been using as a stand. :argh:

Now I'm hoping to find a place that has stands locally so I don't have to wait 2 days to watch my tv or use my PC.

The floor should be wide enough

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Wall mount it over your fireplace

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If the leg mount points are still within the width of your stand, check to see if you can mount the legs pointing inwards.

This trend towards wide stands is annoying though. It kept me from buying a 8500f plasma back in the day.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Oh motherfucker.

Lol this is my nightmare situation. When me and my girl went to go look at TVs and I went for the LG C8 I had the best buy guy measure the stand for me cause I don't want to replace my 46" stand when I upgrade to 65.

Part of me thinks those little dinky bitch legs they stick at the far edges of large TVs now are there just to get you to buy a new stand for it lol

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

This TV stand combined with the LGs central stand have always done me well, luckily I knew what dimensions I needed before I went shopping for one. https://www.ashleyfurniture.com/p/frantin-64-tv-stand/W129-68.html?cgid=tv-stands-and-media-centers#start=14

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
It's so sound bars fit, but yeah, I hate them. Reposting from last page: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=universal+vesa+stand

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
My brother is looking for a TV for his small apartment. He mostly watches YouTube or plays Switch. I doubt he needs the fanciest TV, but I was thinking something along the lines of the 49" Samsung NU8000. Is it worth the 650$ and is a TV of this size ever big enough? He is moving to a teeny NYC apartment next year so something bigger may not be doable.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Oh motherfucker.

Get some 2x4 to rest it on

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's probably more cost effective to to get a 55" TCL. Even in the teeniest tiniest of rooms I can't imagine a 55 feeling anything but comfortably large. Remember that TVs these days are paper think so it won't actually be taking up much space.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Hutzpah posted:

My brother is looking for a TV for his small apartment. He mostly watches YouTube or plays Switch. I doubt he needs the fanciest TV, but I was thinking something along the lines of the 49" Samsung NU8000. Is it worth the 650$ and is a TV of this size ever big enough? He is moving to a teeny NYC apartment next year so something bigger may not be doable.

Get the TCL S405. It’s a great TV for the price and 43” should be a decent enough size. There’s also a 49” version if he must have something bigger.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I can't tell if the Shield TV interface (which says it's in 4k) looks blurry and weird because it's blurry and weird of because I've burned my eyeballs with HDR all day long.

Time to start digging through forum threads, I guess.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yea, honestly I should have measured first but I was POSITIVE it would work because of random reasons like "It looks big enough".

The plasma I'm replacing had a pedestal stand, but the new one has those weird loving legs. So, naturally, I ordered the vesa leg thingies for this size tv and they should be here by Saturday.

Just so incredibly annoyed. It's my own fault but between it taking 2 extra days to get ready for pick-up, poo poo traffic and a closed lane on the way home, and then this, augh.

I do plan to hit Lowe's tonight though. Some 2x4s across the bottom should work till the other stuff gets here.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

EC posted:

I can't tell if the Shield TV interface (which says it's in 4k) looks blurry and weird because it's blurry and weird of because I've burned my eyeballs with HDR all day long.

Time to start digging through forum threads, I guess.

Looks fine for me (65"4k)

I do plan to hit Lowe's tonight though. Some 2x4s across the bottom should work till the other stuff gets here.

If you dont already have a beard, start now and you can be Hacksaw Jim Duggan next Halloween! Two for the price of one

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

American McGay posted:

It's probably more cost effective to to get a 55" TCL. Even in the teeniest tiniest of rooms I can't imagine a 55 feeling anything but comfortably large. Remember that TVs these days are paper think so it won't actually be taking up much space.

I sit about 7.5 feet from my wall-mounted 55" TCL and it's still a bit overwhelming (and I can clearly see compression in Switch video output on still images). I'd go with a 50" if I had to do it again (which I might if I can't get this drat dust from behind the glass).

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

What's up with the TCL 600 series being jacked up in price the last few days? It's $200 more than it was a week ago.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

GreenNight posted:

What's up with the TCL 600 series being jacked up in price the last few days? It's $200 more than it was a week ago.

Last week was Black Friday week?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

BonoMan posted:

Last week was Black Friday week?

It was $650 for months and months. Now they're going for over $800 at Walmart, Amazon, etc.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

GreenNight posted:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-class-led-6-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/6204548.p?skuId=6204548

Still $600 if you want the one with the IR remote

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

GreenNight posted:

It was $650 for months and months. Now they're going for over $800 at Walmart, Amazon, etc.

https://camelcamelcamel.com/TCL-55R617-55-Inch-Ultra-Smart/product/B079N9HDNQ?context=search

Huh. You're right. Strange.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

That one is the 55R615, I'm looking for the 55R617 specifically. That one has voice activation which is required for my girlfriends blind father.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'm really digging the C8 and I even love the remote, but God I wish I could disable the magic mouse bullshit. I was surprised that it was able to control the shield tv so that's a bonus. I just hate that distracting cursor.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

EC posted:

I'm really digging the C8 and I even love the remote, but God I wish I could disable the magic mouse bullshit. I was surprised that it was able to control the shield tv so that's a bonus. I just hate that distracting cursor.

I'm pretty sure you can. Download the manual from Here and check out Page 4. Says something like if you press up, down, left, right while the remote is in use, it disables the mouse.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Oh, rad. I'll do that today.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

qbert posted:

I'm pretty sure you can. Download the manual from Here and check out Page 4. Says something like if you press up, down, left, right while the remote is in use, it disables the mouse.

drat, you had my hopes going for a moment. That only hides the cursor temporarily.

:negative:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I like the magic remote.

coke
Jul 12, 2009
Yeah, changing the cursor to the bean bird is the cutest thing ever.

It even blushes when you press the scroll wheel on the remote as if you are gently caressing it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Boy that'd a bit more awkward if we still had that word filter.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It's already pretty awkward.

I want the C8 so bad but $2500 for a TV when I have a perfectly fine one is one hell of a luxury.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
So I'm looking to get a 4k tv for my home office - I'm mainly looking at the TCL 5-series, which seems a great value buy. I'm not out for anything fancy, and the 43 inch (perfect size for my room) is going for $350 right now on amazon.

Unless anyone has any other suggestions, I'm going to get it. Someone suggested a 6-series TCL to me but they cost more and are a bit too large for my home office setup.

I'll also be doing gaming on it (PS4 pro, switch) so I'm looking for 4k tvs with good input lag for gaming. TCLs seem to mostly be in the ballpark for me.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Will max brightness cause any problems for oled tvs (increase burn in, lower lifespan, etc)? The Sony one does not have different settings between hdr and sdr content and I can see changing the brightness down from max every time you watch sdr content getting old pretty fast.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Oh man I'm glad I didn't get that Best Buy credit to get the LG C8 right then and there like the employee recommended. I did some research last night on their "24mo zero interest if paid each month off in full" and it seems 95% of people who still did it "right" on a big purchase like a tv, laptop, refrigerator, etc got hosed over- best buy changing the monthly installment $ without informing them, running them around in circles, not sending you your card, not giving you information on how to resolve it, closing you account without warning or notification and they seem very very quick to say "there's nothing we can do". From what I gather a really big issue seems to be as soon as you make a second purchase with the CC it completely fucks up your agreements and there are no resources to see what you should be paying and when- and even if you only make the one purchase they still might gently caress you. Similar complaints were consistent across the 3 review sites I looked at... It all seemed too good to be true to me in the moment so I'm glad I trusted my gut. I'm still in the process off trying to build my credit too.

I did see a *couple* "great credit card, worked like a charm!" but they were extremely rare on all the sites I looked at so goons beware!

Anyone here have an experience with them good or bad?

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 2, 2018

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I'd imagine it would effect both lifespan and burn in, but I'm not entirely sure to what effect. Live dangerously and leave it at 100.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

beep by grandpa posted:

Oh man I'm glad I didn't get that Best Buy credit to get the LG C8 right then and there like the employee recommended. I did some research last night on their "24mo zero interest if paid each month off in full" and it seems 95% of people who still did it "right" on a big purchase like a tv, laptop, refrigerator, etc got hosed over- best buy changing the monthly installment $ without informing them, running them around in circles, not sending you your card, not giving you information on how to resolve it, closing you account without warning or notification and they seem very very quick to say "there's nothing we can do". From what I gather a really big issue seems to be as soon as you make a second purchase with the CC it completely fucks up your agreements and there are no resources to see what you should be paying and when- and even if you only make the one purchase they still might gently caress you. Similar complaints were consistent across the 3 review sites I looked at... It all seemed too good to be true to me in the moment so I'm glad I trusted my gut. I'm still in the process off trying to build my credit too.

I did see a *couple* "great credit card, worked like a charm!" but they were extremely rare on all the sites I looked at so goons beware!

Anyone here have an experience with them good or bad?

You are over thinking this.

It's just a credit card. If you pay it off within 24 months there is no interest charges. You have a minimum monthly payment like any credit card.

You can look online or look at your monthly statement to see what your mininum payment is every month.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Don Lapre posted:

It's just a credit card. If you pay it off within 24 months there is no interest charges. You have a minimum monthly payment like any credit card.

You can look online or look at your monthly statement to see what your mininum payment is every month.

True, but if you do make a 2nd purchase with financing options and wanted to pay 150 to one purchase and 100 to the other I don't think they operate like that. They put 250 towards your first purchase and 0 towards the balance of your 2nd purchase and I think that's where people get in hot water. They think they've been paying on both purchases but end up paying the first one off much faster than anticipated, then have the full balance of the 2nd purchase still sitting there in a much shorter time frame to pay than they initially thought.

Plus you cannot get credit account help in the store.

At least I think that's what is happening.

If you understand how it works it's no issue, but that's clearly not 100% of the people (maybe even me) :v:

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
You can call them to allocate payments but it's in the fine print and you can't do it online.

Also most people probably don't understand that your minimum payment isn't going to pay off your 18 month at 0% balance on time. You have to do the math on your own.

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
You could also just not use the card for buying anything else while you pay off the TV.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

That's exactly what I was thinking but like I said I've only started educating myself/building my credit this year which is why I asked the thread their thoughts on it. The mass negative reviews made me want to educate myself here!

TheWevel posted:

You can call them to allocate payments but it's in the fine print and you can't do it online.

Also most people probably don't understand that your minimum payment isn't going to pay off your 18 month at 0% balance on time. You have to do the math on your own.

Yeah, (for simplicity's sake) my understanding is if I buy a TV or something that was, including tax, exactly $2,400,00 and I paid equal or greater to $100.00 every single month on time then I would be okay and earn the 0% interest as long as I hit that every single month every month for 24 months and never made another purchase, but some of the reviews I read said they did do that but still got hosed. I'm thinking it's a high possibility they left out that details such as incurring another charge on the card in that period and never redoing the math on it and/or weren't able to find a resource on what their payments should be to stay above the line but ehh it still scared me.

Anyway thanks thread I appreciate the advice, I'm still pretty new at credit (side note, why the gently caress this stuff + learning to do your own taxes isn't mandatory to graduate in the US I'll never know. This stuff is immeasurably more important than having to remember what european king hosed around the most haha. My only guess is there's a lot of business in uneducated/irresponsible people loving themselves over).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s unlikely that someone who paid off their card as they should will leave a positive review, there’s nothing in it for them. Misunderstood or feel slighted? Time to vent on the internet.

I’ve had an account with Synchrony for a bunch of years whenever we buy furniture. Always made sure I knew exactly what the terms were, paid it off as I was supposed to and never incurred a dollar of charges. Yet the reviews for them say they are the devil.